Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > General Software

Old 09-February-2011, 20:11

News! Windows 7 service pack to land this month

From The Register
Windows 7 service pack to land this month
Start your engines
9th February 2011 16:05 GMT
Microsoft's first service pack for Windows 7 will, according to speculative reports, reach the company's MSDN and TechNet subscribers this time next week.
WinRumors [1] cites sources close to the matter, who have pinned down 16 February as the date when Windows 7 SP1 will ship to Microsoft subscribers.
The service pack apparently hit manufacturers last month, however, Microsoft is yet to go public with its RTM milestone.
In November last year the company prepped its Windows Service Pack blocker tool kit to include its upcoming service packs for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. All of this hinted that SP1 would indeed land soon.
The service packs for both operating systems hit Release Candidate status in October 2010.
It's reported that the service pack release will become generally available on 22 February. But for now Microsoft is keeping quiet about its SP1 plans.

Old 10-February-2011, 04:31
Fuel = Coffee & Smoke

Default Re: Windows 7 service pack to land this month

I wonder how long it will take before those who have "ahem" sort of activated Windows 7 will be able to install it with out the WAT issue.
Old 13-April-2011, 11:56
Globalbloke

I run an IT support company and blooming heck that SP1 was a large file, customers on lesser broadband packages with multiple systems spent hours trying to update. My machine kept failing until I realised that in fact I did not have enough space to install the 4GB file.......

Love Windows 7 though, has made supporting the OS oh so much easier
Old 13-April-2011, 20:13

Smile Re: Windows 7 service pack to land this month

I was away when SP1 was actually released but, on return, I downloaded it (Windows update) in a very short time (I am only on 6432/448) with no problems whatsoever (7 Pro).
Old 15-April-2011, 22:13
Trance Addict

If people are dragging down an update thats 4 gig they can't have run Windows Update ever !
Old 18-April-2011, 09:27
Screamer

Be wary of sp1. I love windows 7 it really is a major step up. Xp was very good in it's initial form and only got better and better. Which is why so many companies are reluctant to upgrade (cost aside). Vista was a big let down. 7 is what vista should have been and more! Sp1 is causing some problems for some users and gives little benefit (if you have done your regular updates) having done regular updates the actual size of downloading necessary portions of the pack becomes small. Don't choose it, let automatic updates do it's thing. Sp1 will be revamped and become part of the automatic process soon enough
Old 18-April-2011, 21:26
Trance Addict

No issues here, on my PC or Laptop, all is well in my world with SP1.
Old 19-April-2011, 18:00
Screamer

No issues here, on my PC or Laptop, all is well in my world with SP1.
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Great. Out of my 8 PC's/laptops I have 3 machines running W7, 2 of which have SP1 and are also great and the other I am leaving to upgrade itself. However I was repairing a laptop for a friend which entailed a new hard disc drive and all was perfect until SP1 (sods law the last job) all software, AV (AVG free and superantispyware everything) and it went pear shaped! Had to start again.(leaving sp1 update out)

General advice is do it from a start up and then do the restart immediately. I have heard there are issues and SP1 is going to be revamped, so I am giving people the advice don't rush for it. If you do regular updates it is not going to do anything for the vast majority of people. True, certain niche users will benefit but "joe public", no!

Tags
broadband, company, free, laptop, law, public, software, web, windows