Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Virgin Media

Old 18-December-2013, 19:31
Formerly exstreamuser

Default Virgin Broadband Receives Fewest Complaints

A recent OFCOM report reveals that Virgin Media Broadband received just 0.08 complaints per 1,000 customers between July and September, while BT ranked as the most complained about company (0.41).

If I were intending to switch to Virgin, I would find this valuable information but I have to ask why. I really doubt the service (product) is much different from any other as they all experience issues; it is just their nature. Are Virgin better at their initial handling of issues perhaps? Is it near impossible to raise a complaint with Virgin? Do they compensate and compensate well for a problem arising?

Everywhere has their issues; why are there less complaints about Virgin?
Old 18-December-2013, 23:40
Safe Sane Consensual

Default Re: Virgin Broadband Receives Fewest Complaints

I used to be with Virgin Broadband and service was excellent if you had a problem - perhaps people do not complain if they get a helpful response to an initial enquiry.

Virgin email was always reliable for my virgin net addresses.

I changed to Sky because it was faster in our area and they undercut Virgin in price for an package including both broadband, phone and satellite TV.

I am not sure if it is Sky network or not having a Hotmail address is causing some of my emails to be lost in the ether (or using Windows Live Mail)
Old 19-December-2013, 02:13
Formerly exstreamuser

I was with Virgin many years ago and had no issue with them. I only moved to a cheaper package. I have heard some horror stories but everywhere has them. I have heard people have no issues for years too. Contention issues and traffic management issues, I have heard mentioned a lot.

It is very true though that much aggravation can be alleviated if issues are resolved swiftly and with minimum inconvenience. This could well be what is happening. It would be handy to have some users opinions.
Old 30-December-2013, 15:26

I've had Virgin broadband (was Telewest initially) for many years and until recently would have said they were very good. However, my service went down on Christmas Eve and has only just been restored. Six days to fix a problem is pretty much unacceptable and unless there's a heavy discount on my next bill I may have to reconsider my supplier.

Apparently their TV services were also down in my area - luckily I just use Freeview, or I would have been completely at a loss over Christmas.
Old 30-December-2013, 15:45
Formerly exstreamuser

That's not good news John but you really have to consider if you would have received any better service elsewhere?

I hope you don't mind me asking... You said you were with Telewest, who predominately provided a cable service in select areas. Is your connection still a cable connection or are Virgin using a BT Wholesale product to provide your Internet?

The reason for asking is that if it is a Wholesale product, it will be the same engineers as any other service would send as well as the same copper wires that any other supplier would use.

If it is any consolation, I have had Internet issues on a recurring basis and these resurfaced again on the 21st. Because this is a "complex" fault, it does require special attention. We have had the Christmas break and the only person with the full history was on holiday for a week. I note he only just tested my line (which is perfect) half an hour ago. This delay was to ensure the best person to deal with the job is on it as well as to ensure the job did not time out while he was off.

Not attempting to derail the topic, simply trying to show that it could have been worse and do please take care not to jump from the fryingpan into the fire.

Having said that, 2014 is predicted to be a year that many will change suppliers and the reason is down to Customer Service.

I do hope your connection remains stable from now on.

Last edited by andrew; 30-December-2013 at 15:51.
Old 30-December-2013, 23:25

Is your connection still a cable connection or are Virgin using a BT Wholesale product to provide your Internet?
Originally Posted by andrew View Post
Was and still is cable.

The good part: they increase the bandwidth every now and then at no extra cost (slightly debatable as their prices do go up).

Bad (or at least confusing) part: their status page is still saying my internet is down and will be fixed by 6pm tomorrow - doesn't really instil any confidence in their competence.
Old 31-December-2013, 01:45
Formerly exstreamuser

John, I have heard and seen what you have experienced with the status page but that was around 2008-09! That is exactly one of the reasons I have had against Virgin.

No, cable for 6 days is no good. Engineers should be in-house so it is all in Virgin's ball-court. True we have had some adverse weather, 2 days public holidays and a weekend, which may have hampered things to an extent but even still, it is a poor show.

How has Customer Service been with you? Have they kept you informed and updated?

It would be really nice if even a goodwill gesture they offered you a discount at the end of the month for the disruption. This would not be a normal thing for others to do and if Virgin at least do that, they may retain your custom.

If fibre is an option for you, I see little reason why you should not shop around but if it is not, the service could be poorer and more fault prone.

Do keep us informed of your Customer experience.
Old 31-December-2013, 08:08

How has Customer Service been with you? Have they kept you informed and updated?
Not really. Their (overly cheerful sounding) automated helpline wasn't especially helpful - it stopped giving estimates of when the service would be fixed after the first couple of days, though since they obviously didn't have a clue about when it would be done that isn't too surprising. I only managed to get through to a real person once; he was sympathetic, but not really able to tell me anything. Also there was no notification that my service was back - I was left to discover it for myself.

The main problem I have with changing supplier is that I'm also using the Virgin telephone service, so switching would be tiresome at best.

Will probably stick with them since (most times) it does work well.
Old 31-December-2013, 12:48
Safe Sane Consensual

Maybe all ISP's experience problems due to environmental or overload conditions that might take several days to resolve. The key thing is if the service is generally reliable and how frequently there is no service or slow speeds.
Old 01-January-2014, 03:30
Formerly exstreamuser

Oh, now I really wanted to hear "automated helpline" and "not really able to tell me anything".

It is one thing to have CS in this country, which better enables them to react to local things like weather and locations . It is another thing to have computer driven automatons. Throw in the obstacle of never even speaking to a human being and this is not good!

I think it is beginning to emerge just why Virgin rank so highly: people can hardly get near them!

I'd really have little issue if an automated or even semi-automated system actually worked. There are times though that I really want to speak to someone that knows not only what they are talking about but also what I am talking about.

I guess on the positive side they do get things done, even if not swiftly.

I have had the opportunity to complain to OFCOM myself and often find the position I am in is not knowing what to complain about. Not everything fits a box. Not everything can be detailed in 5 mins. Yeah, I have avoided doing so! I know full well it will not help resolve my issue, so that is where I put the time and effort. Of course, an End User has to realize OFCOM is there and why they are there before even making that choice.

Anyhow, from that (thanks John), I know Virgin is not the company for me.
Old 01-January-2014, 06:31
Safe Sane Consensual

<snip>

I have had the opportunity to complain to OFCOM myself and often find the position I am in is not knowing what to complain about. Not everything fits a box. Not everything can be detailed in 5 mins. Yeah, I have avoided doing so! I know full well it will not help resolve my issue, so that is where I put the time and effort. Of course, an End User has to realize OFCOM is there and why they are there before even making that choice.

Anyhow, from that (thanks John), I know Virgin is not the company for me.
Hope all becomes resolved early in 2014 - Happy New Year

Vic

Tags
broadband, bt, cable, christmas, company, connection, delay, email, hotmail, internet, key, line, lost, network, ofcom, phone, product, public, shop, sky, slow, speeds, virgin, windows