Go Back   The Scream! > COMMUNITY FORUMS > Expostulation Plaza

Old 24-June-2004, 12:11
Gothgirl

Unhappy Triple/quadruple heart bypass advice

Was informed by my bf last night, who had just been told himself, that his Dad has got to have one of these ops.

Understandably he was very upset. I did a bit of research on the web last night and the figures look good for complete recovery and there's an extremely low mortality rate (under 2%). But I just wondered if anyone on here had any experience either as a patient or relative of a patient that has had this op?

Bf's phoning again tonight and I have some good statistics to fire at him but positive personal experiences would be a big help.

Thanks people
Old 24-June-2004, 14:10
Screamager

My dad had a triple a few years back now, did him the world of good

Although it is a fairly big operation, from the surgeons point of view it has become a routine procedure now. Recovery was in leaps & bounds. You should be prepared for the first time you see him after the op, will have a breathing tube & ecg wires on his chest. Will be very groggy & probably won't remember the visit but will know you are there at the time. Go back 24/48 later will be sitting up as if nothing happened.

Recovery is quite fast for such a big op, there is likely to be some discomfort around the chest for quite a while because of the procedure but the hospital will schedule physio & diets etc. Patients tend to get impatient during convalescence because they feel better from the heart problem but are still recoverying from the Op

Best of luck to him & reassure your bf, the worst part is what to talk about during hospital visits & hearing the patient moaning about the food!
Old 24-June-2004, 14:44
Tony

have a friend who had it a couple of years back, i did not know at the time and bumped in to him about 3 weeks after the op, i was amazed, had never seen him looking as well, before it he could not climb stairs, he has recently retired and now walks 5 or 6 miles every day

he has sold his car as he does not need it!!

part of that is therapy but the majority is because he has so much energy
Old 24-June-2004, 17:18

Thumbs up

Hi Gothgirl
I had a triple bypass back in November 1993. Even then it was an everyday routine thing. For me the results were not so good initially in that the cold got to my ribs (it was Winter!) - my ribs hurt me very easily (when I coughed, sneezed etc) for about 10 months - but otherwise I was OK and I was reasonably (angina) pain free for quite some years. However, a bypass does not last for ever. I've since had two Angioplasty's (the first failed), one last December and the second last month and, so far, things are improving. While at my first (Angioplasty) exercise class at the Hospital I met a number of people who have had a bypass - one, a lady and the other a man. One had it a week and a half ago and the other two weeks ago and they were both strutting around the hospital exercise hall with ease (far better than I would have done at the time and better than me now!) and without any pain what so ever. Every one is different. My Consultant says that I'll need another bypass in about ten years time! Not something I look forward to but ......

As you say, the mortality rate is extremely low and frankly not something I would be too bothered about - it only takes one blockage!
So, my recommendation without doubt is to go for it. It WILL be painful immediately after the op (tell him NOT to read too much about the op) but the effect afterwards will be beneficial. Oh, one more thing, DON'T go in and see him until he is moved back onto the ward because he will be out like a light for around 10-12 hours, have wire/tubes etc coming out of every orifice and with an oxygen mask.

Good luck

If there is anything else you think of please pm me.
Old 25-June-2004, 08:47
Gothgirl

Aw thank you so much for your replies everyone. I wasn't able to get back online last night but I will send my bf a link to this thread so he can have a look. He's calmed down a bit today but I'm gonna pop n see him on sunday to show my support.

Apparently his Dad won't be having the op for at least 6 months unless there's a cancellation but I want him to be slightly prepared for it so he doesn't worry too much.

Thanks Gem, I may take you up on that offer closer to the time.

You guys are great- I knew you'd be the best place to ask for info! Thank you so much
Old 26-June-2004, 16:53
Screamette

Everyone here is SOOO helpful and caring!
How can we possibly choose one person for a TS award?
Old 15-January-2005, 21:00
dave7634

Unhappy Re: Triple/quadruple heart bypass advice

How did your bf dad go with regards to the op then? Just wanna find out as I too (I'm 39) and going for it shortly that's all
Old 15-January-2005, 21:30

Default Re: Triple/quadruple heart bypass advice

There was an article touching on this in today's The Times called 'Looking after your heart'. Worth a read.
Old 16-January-2005, 21:48
dave7634

Thanks for that. Was indeed a good and informative read. I hope I'm not one of the 2-3% though. If I am; any messages for Elvis???
Old 17-January-2005, 09:34

Thumbs up Re: Triple/quadruple heart bypass advice

When are you due to go?
Keep in touch and let us know how you get on.
Old 17-January-2005, 14:14
dave7634

I have a pre-op this week and then either they'll give me the date then or via letter I don't know. Yeah I'll let you know how I get on no probs
Old 17-January-2005, 16:26

Question Re: Triple/quadruple heart bypass advice

Have you had an Angiogram? Or is this what you are having this week?
Old 17-January-2005, 18:44
dave7634

Talking Re: Triple/quadruple heart bypass advice

Angiogram was done last year in September. Apparently all my major arteries are blocked or partially blocked. My mum died of this though at 42 so I have a history of it. One thing though, if it doesn't work they aint gonna wake me up to tell me
Old 17-January-2005, 19:06

Smile Re: Triple/quadruple heart bypass advice

One thing though, if it doesn't work they aint gonna wake me up to tell me
Originally Posted by dave7634
No, it will be OK, you'll see.

Look forward to hearing that all is well and that you are on the up.
Old 15-April-2005, 16:09
gazz1969

my father is going in for a quad bypass goes in on sunday and op being done on monday in southampton i will let you know what happens!
fingers crossed it will all go ok
Old 15-April-2005, 16:51

Welcome to The Scream! gazz1969.

A word of advice. He will be 'out' for all of Monday and with tubes all over the place. Don't go in to see him until Tuesday (maybe Monday night - see what the hospital says). He will be a little(!) sore for a few days etc but you will see a quick recovery and within weeks he will be better than before, if you know what I mean.

I had a triple in 1993. They don't last forever I'm afraid, so I'll be down for another one in, hopefully, 8-10 years time.

Hope all goes well as I'm sure it will.
Old 19-April-2005, 21:02
gazz1969

all went well was in itu for 24 hours and now on the ward had a triple bypass many thanks to this site great stuff hope you all have our luck many thanks garry
Old 19-April-2005, 22:05

Oh good. I said all would be well. Now things start to get better - can take a while tho', just depends, everyone is different.
If in the near future the hospital offers keep fit classes (or something similar) tell him to take the offer up. He will find it VERY usefull if only for the views/feelings/feedback etc from others who have had similar procedures.
Old 23-April-2005, 09:02
gazz1969

had the triple on monday afternoon and came out friday afternoon four days can,t be bad he is now on the long road to recovery many thanks
Old 23-April-2005, 15:00

That's great. He (and you) will start to see a difference soon (if not already).
Old 27-April-2005, 18:50
dave7634

I'm home now after enduring 16 days in hospital. Nothing wrong with op just caught an infection (not MRSA) while either under the knife or on the ward so had to wait for that to clear up before I was allowed home. Chest still sore and hurts to cough but I'm here to tell the tale so this is a small price to pay. Won't really know if the op was a success for some months as I only had angina symptoms when I was walking up hills etc and I aint doing no hills for the time being. Even thinking about hills knackeres me out!
Old 27-April-2005, 22:43

Welcome back!
Yes, coughing and sneezing are the two most painfull things. TRY and not to tense yourself helps (easy to say). Also the cold weather can agrivate the ribs. Mine lasted for around 9-10 months but others had no rib pains at all (lucky b###ers!).

Anyway, everthing from now is up.
Old 29-April-2005, 05:23
socca2me

Good luck on your road to recovery now that the operation is over.
Old 08-May-2005, 07:48
dave7634

Thanks for the messages. Week 5 now and things are a little better in that I can now sleep on my side so not waking with chronic backache at 0400 in the morning now. Still under hospital as I've still got palpitations for some reason and also where the Cannula was in my arm the blood vessel has hardened which the hospital doesn't like. I just want to be able to drive again
Old 12-July-2006, 17:32
tankie1rtr

I have just found out this morning after an angiogram that I have to go in for a triple bypass operation in 7/12 weeks, I am 52 and scared to death.
Regards
JOhn
Old 12-July-2006, 18:07

Welcome to The Scream! tankie1rtr

Well, if it's any consolation I was 2 days away form my 48th birthday when I had my triple - 1993. Two angioplasties (one failed) later and I'm doing OK. Not the fittest bloke around by a VERY long way but I'm enjoying (retired - now a househusband) life.

Things have changed a lot since mine and although it's not the best thing to look forward to, the end result is worth it by a mile.

Oh, read up as much as you can as that will take the mystery out of it but perhaps you may wish to pass over the more detailed surgery bits!

If you have any questions do PM me.
Old 12-July-2006, 19:48
Zer02004

My brother, just short of 60, a type 1 diabetic who had just fought off cancer had a triple bypass. He's fitter than me now!
Old 12-July-2006, 20:17

After I had a heart attach I was told to rest/take it easy until I had my bypass some ten months later. By that time what little fitness I had had gone!

If you can keep (or gain) your fitness after a bypass then that will make life sooooo much better. Less strain on the heart and therefore less chance of suffering from Angina (which I always have).
Old 12-July-2006, 21:05
tankie1rtr

I just want to thank all you people that has answered me and put me at rest, although its still frightening not knowing what I am going into, its lovely that other people who have had the op have the time and compasion to share what they have gone through and give me the positives.
God bless you all
Regards
John
Old 13-July-2006, 08:41

Cool Re: Triple/quadruple heart bypass advice

Do keep in touch tankie1rtr. Let us know how it goes - you'll have some time sitting around taking it easy.

Tags
123, 88066, birthday, cancellation, car, dead, email, forward, free, happiness, happy, health, key, line, lost, make, mobile, offer, online, phone, public, sharing, slow, talk, web