Go Back   The Scream! > COMMUNITY FORUMS > Expostulation Plaza

Old 29-September-2008, 21:00

Smile Re: Triple/quadruple heart bypass advice

Ah that's great.

See you around, look forward to hearing how things progress.
Old 12-October-2008, 19:40
Jen00

Default Re: Triple/quadruple heart bypass advice

Hi Worrybucket (and Gem)

So glad your Dad is ok and recovering, it's one hell of a relief isn't it?!! So sorry I've not responded to you but as my Mum is longer with us, I along with my sisters have been busy with Dad's aftercare, long days but he's worth every second and more! It's such a relief when they come home isn't it, knowing that Dad had his home comforts and I could call or see him whenever I wanted was great. I hope you're Dad is now settled into a pattern and everyday will see an improvement of sorts. Dad has had a chest infection (nothing extreme) but painful for him whilst coughing and his body was very swollen due to water retention - all normal apparently but he's so much different now, just 4 weeks after surgery. The Cardiac Rehabilitation Nurse came to see him last week and actually said he was walking too much and had to reduce him to 20-30 mins! He does feel rather restless and slightly helpless at times and also suffers down periods but all to be expected and we just keep reminding him of how long ago his op was, unfortunately the op seems to have brought back painful memories of Mum for him (and us too) and the Nurse said this is also normal after a traumatic experience, so we'll just heal together. He's past the worse part and as Gem says, it can only go up from here! I'm not sure if Dad was worried when he left hospital but we were watching his every more ... how very annoying of us! however, Dad's GP is fab and has been to see Dad and told us to call anytime regarding any concern - and we haven't had to!

Gem, Dad has had the offer of the physio sessions but they have such a waiting list it won't be until January, however, Dad is really keen and doesn't mind the wait. I had previously passed on your message about this! So thanks for all your advice Gem, you will NEVER know how much it saved my sanity through a tremendously anxious and terrifying time, I am so grateful to you.

Worrybucket, big 'hug' to you and your family, hope you're all feeling slightly calmer, if not very tired!! This operation and the surgeons who perform them are amazing!
Old 13-October-2008, 15:08

Thumbs up Re: Triple/quadruple heart bypass advice

Hi Jen00

I'm so glad to hear that he is progressing well. Everyone is different and I can only relay how I was (nearly 18 years ago!).
It's a shame that he has to wait until January - make sure that he does some exercise (but as he's been told, DON'T over do it). I found it difficult as I did not have anything like that when I had my bypass and I lost an awful lot of fitness (not that I was fit as such) but in 'our' condition you need to call on your reserves from time to time and it's just not there if you've lost too much!

Anyway I'm very glad to read how he HAS progressed and I am also glad that talking and sharing has helped - and I would not have said that before my op etc.
Old 21-October-2008, 22:30
worrybucket

Hi all,

Just wanted to pop in and let u guys know how Dad is doing.

He is now almost 4 weeks post surgery and is doing really well. He is still sore through his chest, and stiff too, but his breathing is better ( he was getting short of breath when he couldnt expand his chest cavity well).

He takes walks every day, everyday he walks a little further. Our only problem with him will be he will try to push himself to the limit, because he thinks he's 21 !!!

He is being sensible in that hes doing nothing about the house or garden apart frm making tea and preparing dinner sometimes. He's sitting and reading a bit too, which i never thought id see, he cant sit still for 10 seconds usually.

So all in all I think hes doing ok. His surgeon saw him last week and said she was pleased with his progress.

Thanks again for your support at my worst time. I will keep in touch

Worry X
Old 22-October-2008, 07:35

Glad to hear that he is progressing well.

Make sure that he does not over do it!
Old 28-October-2008, 23:00
Jen00

Hi Worryb

Glad all is settling down now, your Dad sounds like mine - we have to keep reminding him he's only 6 wks into his recovery and is very prone to over doing it, he hates sitting still too. We bought him an air fix kit which seems to have worked a little!!! Dad is driving now and feeling quite normal again, still doesn't sleep fantastically but only due to not feeling comfortable on his side, he says it 'clunks' too much.

Anyway, glad yours is good news too. X
Old 29-October-2008, 17:18

Unhappy Re: Triple/quadruple heart bypass advice

... he says it 'clunks' too much....
Originally Posted by Jen00 View Post
Oh the ribs!
I can still hurt my ribs occasionally if I tense up and sneeze - and that's after 15 years!
Old 07-November-2010, 01:38
terrified sister

my brother had a triple heart bypass on thursday. we were told all went well but when we went in on friday to visit he wasnt doing so well. his right lung had collapsed and he was on oxygen. still extremely groggy, kept forgeting things and could only keep his eyes open for maybe 30 to 50 seconds then would try to sleep. we then went back on saturday and he is getting worse, he now has a secure oxygen mask on, strapped round his head pumping 100% oxygen in to him, plus he has taken a chest infection. the doctors dont seem to be to worried but i am. nearly everyone on here has been lucky and had a complete success in their relatives op. is there anyone who knows anyone else that had a bad time after their op.
Old 10-March-2015, 12:01
Safe Sane Consensual

Default Survival rates

First congratulations and thanks to the team at the Spire Southampton on the who completed my quadruple bypass operation in October 2013.
Encouraged by and look forward to keeping up with Gem's record!
I was diagnosed with Heart Failure in December 2012 and 40% of heart failure patients die within a year of diagnosis.
It took nearly a year for it to be found that in addition to atrial fibrillation I had severe obstruction of coronary arteries needing several stents or a bypass!
Fortunately the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman has agreed to investigate fully:-

"Worldlife complains about the care and treatment and the communication he received from the Trust from December 2012 to November 2013. He says the Trust failed to diagnose the life threatening condition of severe obstruction to his coronary arteries. Worldlife is concerned that the Trust failed to recommend essential additional procedures to remedy atrial fibrillation when he was referred for a bypass operation. Worldlife says that he suffered stress and worry as a result and had to arrange for surgery to be completed privately. Worldlife would like an acknowledgement of the failings, service improvement and a financial remedy as a resolution to his complaint"

Just a bit of additional background. The initial focus was on atrial fibrillation as being the cause of heart failure. Warfarin was prescribed but it was taking a long time to achieve stable and satisfactory INR. In fact just before the bypass operation the levels were dangerously low and I had to stop taking Warfarin for about a week before surgery! A consultant giving a second opinion has agreed that consideration should be given to alternatives to Warfarin.

The hospital had not recorded that my atrial fibrillation had returned after an initially successful cardioversion treatment. Survival rates for patients with atrial fibrillation having a bypass operation are much lower than those with regular heartbeat.

Whilst my heart was exposed it was possible to carry out additional minor surgery to the cardiac bypass that has remedied atrial fibrillation.
Old 28-October-2015, 11:37
Screamer

Hope everything went well. Two grandparents on either side had the op, one over 10 years ago and the other 4 years ago. Both are alive and kicking

Tags
123, 88066, birthday, cancellation, car, dead, email, forward, free, happiness, happy, health, key, line, lost, make, mobile, offer, online, phone, public, sharing, slow, talk, web