Old 21-July-2016, 22:14
Foxy Lady

Thumbs down Re: Windows 10

Thanks Ron but it's come up with 'there are no documents to match your search'
MS really need to address this as I can't understand why they would take away the customisable ability of Win 7 & Vista when they're supposed to be making a better Win 10. Why take one step forward and two steps back??!! I really can't understand their logic!!
Old 22-July-2016, 14:15
Safe Sane Consensual

Default Re: Windows 10

There is nothing in this life that is free!

Windows 10 seems an undercover operation to ease away privacy and security. I have a feeling that targeted advertising in on the increase.
Whether this is a result of links to other Microsoft resources - their empire is huge these days.

My daughter was very reluctant to access one of our private videos on Youtube. I am not sure if the small print in my upload to Youtube enables them to gain access to information on her email accounts etc. She was certainly worried whether she might be putting at risk clients on her own named email com.

Thanks Microsoft for stopping an excellent program (Windows Live Mail) from being able to access Hotmail email address. The alternatives you have to offer and not nearly as good or reliable - even the Windows 10 mail client.
It seems that software is becoming increasingly complex and unreliable in the need to service those who have the mobile phone alive all day and for immediate responses.

It is not a direction I want to go! I don't want to walk the dog with a phone to my ear or have a phone message interupt a drama, opera or ballet on television. Thank goodness for answering machines or message services
Old 24-July-2016, 09:50
Foxy Lady

Smile Re: Windows 10

It is not a direction I want to go! I don't want to walk the dog with a phone to my ear or have a phone message interupt a drama, opera or ballet on television. Thank goodness for answering machines or message services
Originally Posted by Worldlife View Post
The beauty of phones though, is that you don't need to answer them if you don't want to and if you definitely don't want to be disturbed, leave it at home, or switch it off, or leave it on silent.

Can't understand this need people have to answer their mobiles every time it rings or every time someone texts then they have to reply.... why???!!!

If you don't want to be disturbed, ignore it!!

I don't have the message service on my mobile but I have the answer machine on the landline. So if I don't answer my mobile, there's always the option of leaving a message on the landline if someone really needs to tell me something, or wants me to get back to them when I get in. If they don't have my landline they're not important enough for me to bother about and they'll just have to keep ringing until they get me! lol. I use my phone to work for me, not control me.
Old 24-July-2016, 11:13
Screamager

Hello again everyone. Well after more than a year starting this thread I downloaded Windows 10 yesterday. Took about 3 hours to complete the whole process! All was OK.

Decided I didn't like Cortona, or whatever it is, so hid that somewhere. Also didn't like Edge so that's been altered to a blank page except for my favourites that I imported from IE11. Didn't like their Mail either.

Have also put IE11 on as my browser with my gmail and favourites so it still looks like my old Windows 8.1 page, that keeps hubby happy as he doesn't like change.

I am a bit more adventurous so can use Edge if I want to.

Unpinned some of the tiles that were there so looks more tidy.

A learning process. Took me nearly all day to navigate around and find out how to change things.

Thanks for all the advice you had given me.
Old 24-July-2016, 11:45
Safe Sane Consensual

@Pisces - great to see you are still around! On behalf of the Windows 10 fan club I think you will find Cortana is a brilliant search engine for finding stuff on your own computer and then searching elsewhere if it fails to find anything.

I have found Edge is a useful browser particularly in Private mode.

Once you start using W10 familiarity makes it more user friendly.

@Jen - I think Windows !0 is not designed for us simple mortals but to meet the needs of those with expensive smart phones who cannot turn them off and enjoy real life!
Old 25-July-2016, 11:33
Foxy Lady

Hi Pisces, I agree with you re: edge and Cortana, I unpinned them immediately... like your hubby I don't like change but I'm willing to give some things a go if I think they'll help. I don't like IE but have Firefox, Chrome & Avast browsers that I use .... some things will work in one but not in others, hence the 3 of them!

Unfortunately, most of the new stuff in Win 10 doesn't seem to help so I got rid. Can't understand why they always insist in taking one step forward and two steps back!!

I've made my Win 10 look more like 7 as I liked that and Vista too, although most others didn't seem to like it much. I think I liked them so much because they were so customisable, unlike Win 10!! I'm still struggling because I can't change the white background of pages, both in MS Office and on the Internet.

Due to suffering migraines I need a certain pale blue colour in place of the glaring white but Win 10 won't let me customise it! Grrrrr!!! So now I can't spend so much time on the pc anymore as it would bring on a migraine! Soooo annoying!!!!

Vic - sorry to tell you but I'm one of those people who has a smart phone and I have it on most of the time as I get my emails through it and it's very good for getting info from the Internet while on the go.... although if I want some quiet time I do either put it on silent or switch it off for a while.
Old 15-August-2016, 20:53
Trance Addict

I have it seems a love hate relationship with Windows 10. I really like the fact that even on a system with a standard mechanical hard drive it boots up really nicely. What I don't like is the start menu - I've installed an app called classic shell which gives me the old Windows 7 start menu

I did a fresh install of Windows 7 the other day on my Lenovo laptop, but 7 refused to download any updates - so I felt that I was pushed onto Windows 10 with no real say in the matter. Will just be a case of getting used to it I guess - certain aspects I just feel were a step back - but a leap forward in others.

lol and all this typed on a MacBook Pro.
Old 03-June-2017, 17:59
Screamer

I just read a report about Steam users dropping Windows 10 in favor for Windows 7. Pretty interesting read http://sea.pcmag.com/news/15891/wind...g-steam-gamers
Old 04-June-2017, 17:11
Foxy Lady

The first paragraph reads..... The latest results from Steam's Hardware & Software Survey covering May 2017 have revealed a surprise. Use of Windows 7 is increasing while Windows 10 use declined. The percentage change is very small, but it's still a change that will have many people, and Microsoft in particular, scratching their heads as to why.

Can't understand why anyone would be scratching their heads as to why Windows 10 use has dropped in favour of Windows 7, I've always preferred 7 to 10!!
I could never understand why they took so many steps backwards in designing Windows 10, thought the idea a designing a new platform was to make it better and easier to use, not worse and harder! Why on earth make it so you have to go all round the houses to get to what you want and why have they taken away your autonomy when it comes to customizing your own desktop, etc.
I'm not surprised the use has declined with some, the only reason I'm still using it is because they've withdrawn support for all other Windows so you can't get security updates anymore. It's about time Microsoft started listening to their customers and designed something with the features we want in it, instead of designing things that they think we want without checking first... they don't know best, their users do! If I wasn't to bothered about the security issue these days I'd go back to using Windows 7 again too!!

Tags
123, computer, failure, files, flash, forward, france, free, happy, laptop, law, line, lost, make, new computer, online, player, recovery, router, screen, security, settings, software, tools, windows