Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Networking

Old 15-December-2006, 19:54
Screamager

Default Wireless Connectivity On Routers That Are Not Mine

I can connect to my wireless router with no problems whatsover.

However, if I am in a hotel, airport lounge or a friends house and I try to connect to the routers in the vicinity I get problems.

First off, the routers at hotels and airports are all publicly accessible (or free). However, often (not all the time) I can connect to the router but I then get a message that there is limited or no connectivity. Today I was in Istanbul airport. I tried to connect to their free public wireless service and I got this problem. A few minutes later it disappeared and I was able to get on the net. This has happened a number of times with different routers in different places. Cant be my lap top because my colleague who was with me today had the exact same problem.

In my mates house, he has a BT wireless router. He has the same laptop as me although he has the BT software and I dont. However, I CAN connect to his router but I permanently has this limited connectivity problem and cant view any web pages.

Any ideas how to solve?

Thanks.
Old 16-December-2006, 10:46
Life in the Farce Lane

Default Re: Wireless Connectivity On Routers That Are Not Mine

The steps that give a FULL connection are something like this (assuming hardware compatible)
1 connect to the right SSID (or any if you have allowed it to)
2 Pass the right wireless security details (or none if open)
3 provide a valid MAC address if the router is locked down to limit access
4 get a network address automatically if the network supports and has some free.
5 pass the correct user name and password to the log-on page if there is one
OR
6 Logon to the VPN if there is one

The last four steps will often stop you successfully connecting to just any old apparently "open" network.
step 3 the MAC address, all looks good on the security front but then the router sees you as a "non trusted" bit of hardware and wont allow you any further.
step 4 the network may be wide open but you need to manually put in the network address and gateway (or it will only give those to known hardware)
step 5 some people allow you authenticate onto the network with username and password given on request (network is open for compatibility but a logon page like https://thishotel.network/login.html to keep strangers out)
Step 6 it is possible to encrypt all data across the wireless using a virtual tunnel, you will need to know the VPN details

So what appears as a "Wide open" network may have one or more steps required beyond just connecting to actually get internet access and loose that "limited connectivity popup".

Bear in mind also that some access points will be provided by crooks who just want to get the details you supply when tying to connect.
Connecting to open access points is just crazy if you are not using some form of encryption over it (VPN to your company or https: everywhere)
If you dont encrypt and you are one of those who use one password for everything you WILL be giving away your password at some point so just think what you've just given a stranger access to ........
Old 16-December-2006, 12:12
Screamager

Thanks. My frustaratiuon is mainly with the hotel wireless points. With these, as you say, you connect to the router and when you open up IE you get a log in page that you input a password to. A lot of the time, although I can connect to the hotel router, I can't get to the login page because of the limited connectivity.
Old 16-December-2006, 16:45
Life in the Farce Lane

It may pay to check for any fixed settings from other network cards.
The limited connectivity could be a dns setting that has not cleared, a gateway from some previous setting etc.

You firewall also has to allow some access to the newly discovered network to get an address (if the router cant ping your network card it may not give an address)

What firewall are you using? Other network cards?
Old 17-December-2006, 13:34
Screamager

Its a works lap top with some symantec corporate virus / firewall on it. Also has a network card but not sure which one.
Old 23-December-2006, 01:28
siwillems

Smile Re: Wireless Connectivity On Routers That Are Not Mine

try to access the router and then the internet without any firewall, a lot of time your firewall will prevent the computer from downloading the ip address for it, this is not a problem if the ip is set manually such as your home router

Tags
bt, cards, company, computer, connection, dns, free, home, internet, laptop, network, router, security, settings, software, virus, web, wireless