Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > P2P File Sharing

Old 08-October-2004, 10:57
skydancer

Default Re: Emule tweak + tips guide / how to speed up emule ed2k network client

Hi Silver,

Concerning priority in downloads. You say:

- "I always set mine to 'high', it tells the client how 'agressive' to be in looking for new sources"

I think this is not correct (from the official homepage):

"File Priority: In a given category the file priority decides which file will receive the sources."

Thus, the priority in downloads (not in shared files) refers to A4AF (Asked for another file) sources, i.e. when you request more than one file to the same user. So, it's only for disambiguation.

On the other hand, I suppose that if everybody upload files with "release" priority maybe there's a risk that old files disappear, and the traffic reduces to the "newest" or "top" files. Don't you think so?

Very useful is the rating/credit algorithm described briefly in the official homepage too:

http://www.emule-project.net/home/pe...c&topic_id=104

If you read this, you can deduce most of all "magic" tricks & tips.

bye!
Old 08-October-2004, 11:10

Default Re: Emule tweak + tips guide / how to speed up emule ed2k network client

- "I always set mine to 'high', it tells the client how 'agressive' to be in looking for new sources"

I think this is not correct (from the official homepage):

"File Priority: In a given category the file priority decides which file will receive the sources."
it definatly used to work how I said (tho am going back some - on edonkey perhaps!).. but it makes sense that it is using the priority to choose which file gets the download when there's an uploader who has more than one of the files you need. Will ammend.

On the other hand, I suppose that if everybody upload files with "release" priority maybe there's a risk that old files disappear, and the traffic reduces to the "newest" or "top" files. Don't you think so?
yes - totally agree,. though it's swings and roundabouts to some extent,. I think it better that people share multiple files and occasionally push the file they download to release than remove the old sources from the network in order to speed their download,. I thought I'd got a line in there somewhere about dropping the upload priority back to normal after the file was downloaded.. will amend at some point

thanks for the link and thanks for the comments

Sil
Old 08-November-2004, 00:01
mogzy

Thumbs up Re: Emule tweak + tips guide / how to speed up emule ed2k network client

hi im new to emule and im trying to download a file but i kind seem to get my download speed past6kbs per second ive tried all the above by turning my upload speed up and i still cant get it past 6kbs im using a WG111 router and i check that no1 in my family has there computer turned on when im downloading and no1 dose so please help me with this thx

MogZy
Old 08-November-2004, 16:03
Former TS! Team

you really need to understand how the credit system works.
http://www.emule-project.net/home/pe...&rm=show_topic

How queue ranking works
http://www.emule-project.net/home/pe...&rm=show_topic

This explains how changes to upload or download priorities effect the mule.

browse the other topics there for further info.
Old 27-November-2004, 02:43
Blame_Canada

I was wondering if anyone had any new tips on how to tweak emule. I'm using emule pkus v. 1.1. I noticed some new stuff in there especially how you can't connect to the KAD thing you were talking about earlier in this thread. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-December-2004, 01:23
Zer02004

Not sure if this server list has already been posted - Apologies if it has.
Old 29-December-2004, 20:02
Loric

I also have changed the timeline to 8 hours so I can see what happened overnight
Originally Posted by silver
This tweak guide is a blessing!

Can you explain how you changed the stats graph timeline to 8 hours? I would like to do the same and never found where that could be changed from the default 40 minutes. (I'm using emule 0.44d)

Thanks
Old 29-December-2004, 21:09

yep - easy

it's under preferances > statistics

and change 'update delay' - set to whatever you like - 50 seconds gives abt 8 hrs

Sil

PS, welcome to TS!
Old 23-February-2005, 06:25
MK23

Silver,

I just recently came upon emule, I am overwhelmed with the amount of content. However the speed is nothing like limewire.........so far.
Hopefully you can help, I have looked over the tips and tricks and dont
seem to be making a dent yet on speed.

I have a 5mbps connection which usually runs at about 4.5 megs to 4.8 megs download and from what the provider says its about 350 upload.

My emule settings are:

download capacities - 4500 (download)
350 (upload)

download limits - 4500 (download)
151 (upload)

Max sources - 2500

Max limit - 5000

file buffer size - 256 kbps

que size - 5000

As an example I am downloading right now a file at 3kbps.......I have about 48 files in the download screen but have stopped all but one for now just to see how fast one file is doing. Uploads are average at about 3kbps. I am running xp..............if I have missed something you would like to know please give me a heads up. I dont know what I am doing wrong but, I had it running for like a week and only downloaded 2 files. An MP3 took about 2 days where as on limewire took less than 2 minutes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

MK23
Old 23-February-2005, 08:48

Hi MK23,

Prolly worth finding out the actual up and down speeds, try something like http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp (you can post a link to the results or paste the text here).

The answer may be that the files you are trying to get are rare, how many sources for the file you are downloading?

Also - do you have a high-id, are you connected to kad - i.e. does the little icon on bottom right look like

?

Sil

PS, welcome to TS!
Old 24-February-2005, 05:03
MK23

Hope this link works:

http://performance.toast.net/results...loadtime=0.571

If not here is the results of the download:

Your Results: 4775 Kb
Sympatico: 1188 Kb
Avg. Results: 1988 Kb
Charter: 2042 Kb
Adelphia: 2637 Kb
Comcast: 2890 Kb
Attbi: 3011 Kb

Here is the upload link

http://www.toledorocket.com/perftest...loadstatus.asp

If that dont work here is the results:

You uploaded 414,028 bytes in 8 seconds. Your upload speed is 414 kbps.

Hope this gives you an idea, I ran the test several times. The lowest download was around 4.2, upload wasnt much lower at just under 400.

I truly appreciate your help.

MK23
Old 24-February-2005, 09:35

it looks like you could increase the upload limit some, like 350 or 390 should be ok,.

did you see the bit in the previous post abt highid and the icon colours and the amount of sources?

I think you have it setup right in terms of the upload/download limits at least, the problem could simply be the file you are downloading is shared by a small number of ppl or ppl with slow upload?

Sil
Old 24-February-2005, 16:36
MK23

Yes the icon at the bottom right has green arrows. I do not have a firewall turned on, but I do have a router. Most of the files I have selected average about 200 sources.

So does 4kbps download sound right then? just seems aweful slow to me. I dont have a problem with slow on video, but MP3? I was used to downloading bout 50 at one time on limewire and having pretty much all of them finished within a couple hours.

If there is anything else you can think of let me know.

Thanks

MK23
Old 24-February-2005, 17:59

4kbps - ok is slow,. but it might be that the ppl with sources have slow upload..

also bare in mind that emule queues clients and does some fiddling to get you downloads as you upload more... you have to be patient, typically it can take a long while to get going!

Sil
Old 26-April-2005, 04:11
Musik_X

Question Re: Emule tweak + tips guide / how to speed up emule ed2k network client

Hello Sil

Not speed related question but definitly stops me from using Emule at all with this question and I'm wandering if you can help. Everytime I run Emule and MSN Messenger my router crashes. I've just started to notice that it only happens as soon as I send or recieve a chat message in MSN while Emule is connected.

When I first started using Emule back in 2003 I never had this problem. It started roughly mid 2004. I stopped using MSN for a while since then, now I wish to use it again as I would like to chat online and I was hoping Emule or MSN have corrected this bug. I'm gutted as they haven't.

I've never updated the router as there are no firmware updates for the d-link dsl504 router that I use. I can only run MSN while Emule is not connected and visa versa. I'm curious if it's the router companies way of saying I need to fork out on a new router or do I need to change some settings here to make them both work without a crash.

When it does crash I have to disconnect the routers power to reset it and turn off my computer while I do this as it won't work properly if either are left turned on. What can I do to sort out this matter?

PS. If I sort this out my next question would be does Emules download rate slow down if MSN is in use using streaming methods? My Emule d\l rate is about around 90kbps to 150kbps average on a 2mg broadband so I imagine it wouldn't please correct me on my uncertainness. Cheers.

Last edited by Musik_X; 26-April-2005 at 04:50.
Old 26-April-2005, 18:11
Former TS! Team

(answered roughly in order)

re router disconnects try slowing emule down to a max of 600 connections and max of 20 new connections a second. This will mean downloads take slightly longer to start but it will not flood the router with new connections.

else, buy a better router.

Indirectly it's not msn's or emule's fault it's the processing power of the router. It just cant cope.

Make sure you're not flooding up upstream as this will cause everything to disconnect.
Dont worry about your downstream. It's upstream b/w thats limited. ie sharing a webcam, voice communications etc all use huge amounts of upstream. Make sure theres plenty spare by slowing the upstream of emule.

Get a network monitor to monitor your up and downstream speeds. (or better get IPcop and a car boot sale PC).

~Mem
Old 27-April-2005, 15:38
Batucada

Unhappy Re: Emule tweak + tips guide / how to speed up emule ed2k network client

Greetings!
I have a problem with my eMule, i am constantly having a low ID. I tested my ports at eMule-Project.net and it gave me this report:
TCP connection test failed.
It was not possible, to establish a TCP connection to your eMule.
Other users will only be able to connect to you with the help of a server, resulting in a low ID for you. While eMule still works, this will give you several disadvantages. Therfore it is highly recommended to solve this problem.

What should i do now? My TCP and UDP ports simply wont work. My Firewall is ZoneAlarm, i read somewhere that eMule has problems with it so i shut it down(still nothing). I also tried to add/set those ports to my XP firewall and that didn't help either. I have 1 Mb ADSL without a router. Can anybody help me here...i would be extremely grateful. I would provide you with additonal information about my settings.

Last edited by Batucada; 27-April-2005 at 15:58.
Old 27-April-2005, 21:02

I am not a great fan of ZA (mostly cos whenever I encounter it I find it causes me hassle!).. tho as a firewall it's prolly ok to be honest

turn off the XP firewall - that way lies hell..

setup ZA so that emule is recognised as a 'server' (I am not overly familar with ZA!).. essentially ensure that ZA trusts emule inbound and outbound - there's a setting there somewhere have seen it!

then run the test again on emule-project

Sil

PS, welcome to TS!
Old 28-April-2005, 12:27
Batucada

OK i uninstalled ZoneAlarm and turned off XP Firewall and tested my ports again, but still no connectivity. I also changed my ports to values above 5000
and that didn't help either. Any suggestions?
Old 28-April-2005, 12:45

it's possible you isp is blocking all access - I'm not sure which country you are in - but some places are really bad for messing around with your connection..

if you are running no firewall - then try the port test at https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 - the select 'common ports' and report back what it said ?

Sil
Old 28-April-2005, 13:02
Batucada

It failed :
Solicited TCP Packets: RECEIVED (FAILED)
Unsolicited Packets: PASSED
Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED)

PS: I noticed that my Local Area Connection is limited or has no connectivity. It says that i might not be able to access the internet or some network resources.I tried to Renew my IP address but it failed. Can i somehow manually fix the problem?
Old 28-April-2005, 14:06

you have a LAN - then you have a router of some sort,. are you using windows ICS or internet shareing ?

is the IP on your PC different than the internet IP (i.e. do you have an ip in private address space) ?

Sil
Old 28-April-2005, 14:40
Batucada

No i dont have a router...i only have a modem...and i dont share my connection with anybody. When i look the details tab under my ADSL connection it shows:

( removed )

i dont know what to make of it.?

edit sil - removed ips jus incase

Last edited by silver; 28-April-2005 at 15:11.
Old 28-April-2005, 15:13

your listed IP is the same as the one you post with - so it's def an internet ip..

not sure what else to suggest,. do you have another windows box or something that you can use to test the connection again?

can you paste more of the output from the test at grc.com,..

Sil

PS, I removed the IPs from the above post jus incase
Old 28-April-2005, 15:27
Batucada

When i turn my XP Firewall on it says PASSED .(ALL PORTS tested were found to be: STEALTH.)
When its off it says Failed. (1 port closed, rest stealth)

I dont see much useful information there...

it just lists a bunch of ports there...not the two ports im having trouble with though.

Im out of ideas
Old 28-April-2005, 15:52

I dont see much useful information there...
am trying to find out why emule can't connect to you,. those tests work in a similar way to how emule clients will try to connect to your emule..

essentially from the test results the response of 'stealth' means there's something in the way on your connection.. what 99% of users would see would be all closed and no 'stealth',..

either your isp is getting in the way or you have some kind of firewall / router / type function installed on your connection - the isp side you can't change,., the rest would be client side issues

Sil
Old 09-May-2005, 11:38
Che

Yes the icon at the bottom right has green arrows. I do not have a firewall turned on, but I do have a router. Most of the files I have selected average about 200 sources.

So does 4kbps download sound right then? just seems aweful slow to me. I dont have a problem with slow on video, but MP3? I was used to downloading bout 50 at one time on limewire and having pretty much all of them finished within a couple hours.

If there is anything else you can think of let me know.

Thanks

MK23
Originally Posted by MK23
Hi MK23.
Did you finally get a solution? I am experiencing the same problems as you (with 2.3 Mbps, though), and I would like to know if you manage to fix your download speed. THX.
Old 28-May-2005, 04:23
axetroll

Lightbulb Re: Emule tweak + tips guide / how to speed up emule ed2k network client

I bought a 3com 812 officeconnect router modem and after that I had a lot of
trouble using my existing emule's settings from the old bridged modem.

You already know that routers have trouble managing a lot of connections. So I tried many values combinations in the options and always got internet surfing almost dead. Tried vey high and very low values. Always the same practically.

My connection is 512/256 and even with upload limited to only 10kb/s I have trouble entering a simple site like www.google.com.

The solution found was turning off Kamdelia!!

I wasn't aware of how much this thing caused overhead and a lot of connections. And It's not a vital feature to have.. you can get enough sources from the eD2k server and from other users...
and a bit higher upload rate.

So, if you experiencing dead surfing and slow downloads try to disable it and let the default values in options about the rest.

Last edited by axetroll; 28-May-2005 at 04:27. Reason: correcting
Old 31-May-2005, 23:21
ifyoumust

Hey Sil !!

I've done some searches with Emule,
and it has a lot of files I can't find with other p2p-apps.

My problem is this; I'm from Belgium (problem number 1)
and here we only have 2 internetproviders,
both having a 10 GB/month limit
(upload+download = 10GB, and upload may not be more than 15% of that)
costing 40 euros, for every GB more.... 1 euro extra !!
So I'm paying 60 euros a month now for 30 GB/month
and therefor have a maximum of 4,5 GB/month upload...

And as you said.... emule needs to run 24/7.
I think that's about 3 kb/s 24/7??

Anyway, I found a way so my download speed isn't limited,
but my upload speed is limited to 2 kb/sec
(and NO don't ask me how, I won't tell you anyway)
If I was able to upload more, I certainly would
(hell, I would be releasing my own stuff...
a thing that really isn't possible for me to do now)

Most of my friends still use Kazaa
'so we can download more cause we don't upload' they say...
i'm always trying to talk them out of it
cause I don't like it at all.

i just think some people don't realise there still are
people like me that don't have unlimited up+download.

but enough of that rambling
the problem is, sometimes i get messages in emule:
"Your client is connecting too fast, it will get banned"
what do I do with this ???

I hope you all can understand my situation :
if i set my upload limit to 10 kb/s,
I can only be online for a few days a month...
and will only use about 15 GB
(estimate, if i can download over 30 kb/s average)
of the 30 GB i pay much money for...
Old 01-June-2005, 07:21

that message is cos of the re-request limit,. essentially the emule client protects itself by not allowing people to re-request files downloads within a certain timeframe,.

I don't know which version / client you are using (it obv isn't standard emule) as the message you see would not be possible on emule - you need to look for a setting that controls how often it re-asks / re-queues for a file from another client - hopefully they have provided a way to tweak that - perhaps they have a setting called 'standard safe' - heck I don't know!

Sil

Tags
broadband, bt, cable, connection, credit, fake, file sharing, files, free, google, internet, isp, key, line, make, modem, nat, netgear, network, phone, public, router, screen, share, sharing, slow, software, speed, speeds, web