Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > AOL

Old 11-October-2011, 19:42
peacespotting

Default Turning AOL ADSL into wireless...

Hi, stumbled across this forum via google - looks great! From what I saw after a (admittedly brief) look over this section of the forums my question hasn't been covered but apologies in advance if it has!

So basically I've moved back in with my parents after graduating from university and need the internet for job searching/procrastination etc. The only problem is that the home desktop is a 2002 Dell and thus is dying a slow and painful death (it gives the low RAM warning after opening 2 tabs of IE). To make matters worse.. we're on AOL using a ADSL Modem (BT Voyager 105) modem which connects to the desktop via USB and to the phone line via ethernet and an adapter.

Basically what I want to do is get a router and set it up so that my sister and I can use the internet on our laptops/phones and not have to use the desktop. AOL were their usual unhelpful selves once they realised that I'm not the bill payer, however I thought I had a solution and ordered a "Belkin G Wireless Router with Easy Set Up & 54Mbps Transfer Speed (F5D7234uk4-H). For use with Cable or DSL Modem only" . In theory I would hook our current modem up to the router and the router to the phone line. Then I realised that if the desktop is turned off then the DSL modem would not be switched on and I would probably not be able to access a connection. Does anyone know if this hunch is correct? If so, does anyone have an idea as to how I can access the AOL connection using wireless? Would getting a standard router and wifi key to plug into the desktop work? Also, would I have to install that nasty AOL software on my laptop?

***I guess I should add here for clarity that the desktop does not have an ethernet port.***

Hope this all makes sense!

Thanks
Old 12-October-2011, 07:20

Default Re: Turning AOL ADSL into wireless...

I think you're wrong about the modem not being connected if the desktop is turned off (unless they're sharing a power supply). It should, in theory at least, still be connected to the internet; DSL being an "always-on" connection.

For example: I can use my iPod wirelessly even when my PC is off (as long as my modem and router are still turned on of course).
Old 12-October-2011, 09:46
peacespotting

I think you're wrong about the modem not being connected if the desktop is turned off (unless they're sharing a power supply). It should, in theory at least, still be connected to the internet; DSL being an "always-on" connection.

For example: I can use my iPod wirelessly even when my PC is off (as long as my modem and router are still turned on of course).
Originally Posted by bouncingjohn View Post
They do share a power supply
Old 12-October-2011, 12:56

I'm not familiar with the specific equipment you mentioned but I will give a couple of thoughts

if the modem is 'usb' then likely it won't work unless it's connected to the computer

the router you need will be an 'adsl modem router' - don't buy something that does not have a modem built in,. sure in theory you can get a router than accepts ethernet on the WAN (internet side) and provides a wireless service but that is not the most simple solution (and your adsl modem is usb anyway)

get something like http://www.ebuyer.com/151969-belkin-...er-f5d8636uk4a - note the description mentions Wireless and ADSL and Moden and Router and mentions it plugs into the ADSL line

you don't want a router which plugs into a cable or adsl modem

note I am not recommending this as the one you should get or indeed the place you should get it - it's just an example of what to look to buy
Old 14-October-2011, 14:14
Optimistic Curmudgeon

I second what Silver just wrote. By far the simplest solution is an ADSL modem/router as it doesn't need the usb drivers that a usb modem requires, you just connect the router up, bung in your username and password and orf you go !

A reasonable place to start looking might be EBay or EBuyer, but as Silver mentioned, do make sure you get an ADSL modem/router.

Good hunting !
Old 16-October-2011, 19:24
martswain

If you are happy to stay with AOL, get the bill payer to call them and threaten to leave.

They will almost certainly offer you a CHEAPER deal to stay and that deal will include a free wireless router.

You will easily be able to set that up with your laptop using the included LAN cable or wireless if you know what you are doing.

The wireless password is normally on a sticker on the router and the AOL login information will be included in the letters they send you.

To keep the old PC online you will need a wireless dongle and as you say that the old PC already has USB ports, that is where it will go.

Tags
adsl, aol, belkin, cable, connection, free, google, happy, internet, ipod, key, laptop, line, make, modem, offer, online, phone, port, router, share, sharing, slow, software, speed, wireless