Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > AOL

Old 22-July-2006, 12:02
Mark unplugged

Default Re: AOL Networking How-To

This might be confusing for some.
It seems to me that when you set up the wireless router, you enter a master screen name. AFAIA, this doesn't have to be 'the' main username, you can create a new one just for this purpose.
However, when setting mine up, I just used the main one. With this set-up, anyone can sign in to aol on the different PC's in the house, and obviously the main one.
The drawback is, is that should you be in the middle of writing a lengthy email, and the line goes down (not often, but possible), then you will lose whatever you have written so far, and have to start from scratch.
Obviously many ways around that (like writing in Word and copy/paste), but that's the only drawback I can see of using the main screename.

Quixeh:
Why pay the extra when packages are the same?
Well, there's the speed difference between the silver/gold package, which is mainly what's paid the premium for.
Old 22-July-2006, 12:18
Quixeh

Ah. well I'm not on AOL, and have no idea about the packages. My mate who I set it up for had absolutely no change between gold and silver though.
Old 22-July-2006, 12:32
Mark unplugged

Ah.
Well Silver is 'up to' 1mb, Gold is 'up to' 2mb, depending on the quality of the BT line and other various stupid excuses lol.
Has he done a speed test?
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp
Old 14-August-2006, 13:47
MartinLuther

Apologies for dragging up an old topic, but I found this site through a google search for connecting to AOL without their crappy BT Voyager 105 modem....

Just wanted to say thanks for all the info - made me realise that I could get AOL without stock standard modem. I ditched their software when I first got the AOL platinum, but I want to run Linux instead of Microsux Windows, and now I can!

Just want to point out a lovely router that I bought that works like a charm - it comes with the ability to simply connect to AOL without the hassle - all preconfigured - you just choose AOL as your ISP and away you go.

As for the reason why I renewed my contract with AOL - I got a better price from them - if you are thinking of leaving them, tell them - they will give you a better price, and of course the unlimited cap that you get. I have downloaded lots of TV shows and series since I first got ADSL - and it would not be entirely possible to do so with so many other ISPs - I checked. They are not too bad, so long as you don't have to speak to them!!!!
Old 14-August-2006, 15:58
MartinLuther

I forgot to add the URL for the router that I bought:

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=20989
Old 03-September-2006, 13:20
2521ash

Have a netgear dg834g and AOL silver. Internet connection is fine on Wired connection, and will also work using netgear usb adapter and netgear smart wizard software. Yet I have two laptops which have built in wireless, yet they connect to network, but no internet connection is shared.

When using laptop without adapter, it said "ip address not assigned". Yet DCHP is enabled.

Very confused. Going to throw router in bin. tried repairing connection and various other things as posted above, anyone please help!
Old 03-September-2006, 19:07
Optimistic Curmudgeon

Have a netgear dg834g and AOL silver. Internet connection is fine on Wired connection, and will also work using netgear usb adapter and netgear smart wizard software. Yet I have two laptops which have built in wireless, yet they connect to network, but no internet connection is shared.

When using laptop without adapter, it said "ip address not assigned". Yet DCHP is enabled.

Very confused. Going to throw router in bin. tried repairing connection and various other things as posted above, anyone please help!
Originally Posted by 2521ash View Post
Perhaps I'm thick, but I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Firstly, if your laptops will all connect to the internet via the WiFi router, what's the problem ?

Secondly, if you remove an adaptor from a 'puter how is it expected to connect to the network and the internet ?
Old 28-September-2006, 12:04
devill2

i have probably posted this in the wrong part so sorry to all those that need help as i do really bad now the thing is my friend had his internet set up with aol braodband going through a wireless adapter and the adapter somehow got broke so i prchased another dlink one the same as the one he had after messing about with it for ages i finally got the packets to send and receive but for some reason ther was no internet page appearing i went onto msn and it says cant find dns server so i phoned them up and got the dns servers off them my details looklike this
ip address 192.168.1.2
subnet 255.255.255.255
gateway 192.168.1.1
and my dns i was told was 4.4.2.2
and my alternative dns was 4.4.2.3

and i have tried various other dns servers for aol and i cannot get it working correct i have phoned both aol up and the dlink router suport and they only give me info that i have a already tried or been told to try i was told to make sure that the mtu setting was 1400 that is the only thign i cant actually get access to i can getonto my router but im sure there is no mtu setting there has anyone got any ideas that miught help pleeeaasssssssse
Old 28-September-2006, 17:50
Former TS! Team

and my dns i was told was 4.4.2.2
and my alternative dns was 4.4.2.3
These are NOT Aol's DNS settings.

For a wireless laptop, IP & Dns should be set to obtain automatically.
Old 01-October-2006, 19:49
Msuperfatboy

Unhappy Re: AOL Networking How-To

Hi,on the aol help page on routers it says to enter your screen name in the lower case even when it had capitols originally and to put @ aol.com,but when i try to input the symbol @ in the router set up the @ wont input into the line after my screen name.Please help ,this is in reference to first setting up installation and getting the message Setting sreen name Disabling security.Thanks steve.
Old 02-October-2006, 12:09
Zer02004

Is this is the ISP login details page or the router admin login page?
Old 11-October-2006, 14:20
devill2

no that would be the isp login page and i myself am still strugglin with the wireless aol conneciton
Old 22-October-2006, 23:31
Joanne2006

Me And My Dad Hav Just Tried To Set Up a Wireless Network Using Two Pc's.

We Are Using a Tompson SpeedTouch Wireless Router. One Computer is Working Fine .. But Another Computer Is not working at all . In The Computer that Isnt Working We Have a Belkin Network Adaptor In The USB port.

Anyone have Any ideas as to how we are having this problem?
Thankyou.
Old 01-November-2006, 00:47
sid_b6505

My Netgear DG834G shows a downstream speed of 8128 Kbps....but I am not receiving the speed in my Laptop or in any other laptop in the network. Can any body help please!!
Old 07-November-2006, 04:28
Zapofrog

Hi all. New and novice.

I need to link my laptop with a pc to access the internet but cannot afford a router. I have done this successfully in the past with a cable, but does the fact that my new landlord use AOL (through BT line) make any difference?

Only one post seems to address the question, but it is very vague, saying that a router is more stable and the computer with the internet connection needs to remain powered up for the second computer to access the internet.

ALSO, which type of cable do I need? Crossover or patch?

Thanks!
Zap
Old 09-November-2006, 10:34
Kurg

Let me see if I get this right - corssover cables are for when you are trying to link 2 PCs together without the use of a router or switch

Therefore you need a straight-through (patch) cable if you are using a router or switch

Wherever you buy it though ask if it's the right cable for use with a router, if they say yes then you have valid reason to take it back if it's actually the wrong one
Old 09-November-2006, 16:58
dagsky

Hi all, i hope i may be able to get some as i'm having a total NIGHTMARE trying to get on the net with blinking AOL!!!!

Basically i've bought a brand new compaq lappie yesterday from pcworld the one thats on offer now. Winxp service pk2 and it has its own wireless card and has an ethernet port.

I DO NOT want to setup a wireless network BUT all i want is to be able to use the net with a modem. Aol have sent me a BT Voyager 190 but i have a Thompson 330 from pipex which i would like to use.

I tried to first of all use the AOL CD to setup the net using the BT Voyager modem but for some unknown reason at first when you put the AOL CD in it tries to communicate with the modem. It kept failing and eventually i canclled the installation. I then went control panel--add remove progs and removed anything that AOL listed there. I then rebooted my lappi and then tried the AOL CD again. This time it went straight onto installing AOL 9 and NO modem detecting! Anyway it did its thing and then when i came to the sign on screen i clicked expert setup to see what modem it would use and in the list it said AOL Uk Broadband or something like that. So i just clicked on it to say yes use this modem. Then i clicked on sign on and we got to step 6 and waited like 3 minutes before any progree. Next screen that came up was to enter my user name and password. I entered my screen name --- testme( NOT MY REAL SCREEN FOR OBVIOUS REASONS) and YES i did NOT put @aol after it! Entered my pass word and then clicked next. Waited bout 5 minutes and then i get a screen saying THE SERVICE DID NOT RESPOND........ anyway called aol but they couldn't much but say try and call later and ask for level 2 support!!

Ok so uninstalled again and reinstalled bout 5 times with no luck!! Called 2nd line support and he made me delete winsock and winsock2 from regedit and when i rebooted my ethernet card had a yellow caution sign on it!!! I told support this and then he says to me you need to contact pc world cause theres something wrong with your pc if it has a caution sign on your ethernet!!! I said time my ethernet was perfectly fine until you told me to delete the winsock and winsock2!! Anyway next he says click on the ethernet icon and go to properties then click on client for microsoft networks then click on install then i can't remeber which of the 3 services we installed but it still did not fix my yellow caution sign. Then suddenly the phone got hung up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So i just clicked on my ethernet adapter and clicked repair and then rebooted and this time the caution icon was gone. I Dunno if it fixed what was palyed with...... Anyway tried yet again with the AOL CD and still no luck in getting it to work. I ran the aoltest page in ie and it said Ok or whatever the response is to say its working. I tried to connect to the net using both ie and aol browser but still no page to display!! I then tried to connect using AOL Dialler with my screen name and it says connected but still can't access anything on the internet. I tried to ping my mates pc from cmd and it would do anything!!!

So i deleted AOL yet again and this time tried to use my Thompson 330 usb modem to create a network connection. I loaded the drivers i got with my usb modem and then went about creating a connection using network connections in Xp.

Connect to the internet
Setup my connection manually
Connect using a dial up modem
Enter ISP name
Enter Phone number 0,38
Enter username and password

Once done i double clicked on the internet icon on desktop and then clicked dial. I got back and error message saying something about domain something!! Sorry but it was at 4am so my brain was already in sleepmode!!

I eventually gave and went to bed sad lonely and defeated!!!

Ok so with renewed energy today how bout some kind soul help me get on the net with my Thompson 330 and NOT USE THE AOL SOFTWARE as it just drives me nuts!!! Oh Pipex why did break my heart with poor customer service???!!! Your connection was SOOO simple to get working!!!!
Old 13-November-2006, 12:49
Lazzara

Cool Re: AOL Networking How-To

Hey, i'm in real need of help -

I have recently upgraded from AOL broadband to AOL wireless broadband and have had problems setting it up.

Firstly i will give you a list of the equitment i am using:

PC which i am using to configure router - Windows ME
Additional PC in another room - Windows XP
Router - Netgear DG834G
Wireless Network Adapter - Belkin Wireless G Network Adapter

I am also using the standard yellow ethernet cable which comes with the AOL pack however i did order a 5m cat6 patch cable from ebay as the yellow one was not very long.

The first time I attempted to install AOL using my 'easy install cd' it appeared to be working fine, detected the router was connected prompted me to create at network name and password etc. It then got to the final configuration stage and failed on step 2 (the 2nd light didnt turn green). I ensured all cables were still plugged in correctly and retried however again it failed. I then cancelled the installation and i appeared to be removed ethernet cable etc and i appeared to be connected to the internet.

I then set up the wireless network adapted on my other XP pc and again, i appeared to be connected fine to the network i had set up using the easy install cd.

I noticed that everytime i turned my pc on and off i appeared to connect to the internet automatically meaning that probably anyone within range of my router could have done the same. I then done something im regretting now. I opened up the router configuration (192.168.0.1) and adjusted the security settings. Not known what I was doing i selected the option where you type something in to the passphrase box and click generate. A bunch of numbers came up underneath it with radio buttons beside them 'key 1-5' i think?

Anyway, as soon as i saved this i got disconnected from the internet and thrown out the config page. Ever since i have been unable to connect to the internet. I did manage to get back on the config page on one occasion when i attempted to rectify what i had done by disabling all the security but it still hasnt gone back to how it was and i still cannot get online.

My plan was to try and just to try and start from the beginning again, i pressed the reset pin button on the router, reinstalled my network adapted and re-ran the AOL cd as i was going to create a new network name to make fresh start. It didnt work tho, although i have attached the ethernet cable correctly and everything else in place etc i still cannot detect my router nor will it let me onto the router config page. It almost seems like it just picks and chooses when to detect the router and when theres no connection between my pc and the router. 95% of the time not detecting. On one occasion i managed to create a new network name password etc and was configuring the router however this time it failed at stag one - almost as if it had the connection when i first tried to install it then it lost it half way through!! I have now given up and need some guidance if i am to go any further rather than wasting loads more time trying to do something im not confident about!!

Hope someone can help!!

Thanks
Old 14-December-2006, 23:20
tarquel

Question Re: AOL Networking How-To

Just been trying to set up a Zyxel Prestiege 660HW-T1 [not the new v2] with AOL-hell.... at a friends house.

So wish I had remembered that she had AOL before i got her to order the router.

I'm praying that in a few minutes, its just that the router doesnt work but i dont hold much hope on that one.

Followed the AOL Home Networking guide - and her broadband works fine with her Voyager network modem [i.e. the one with only a lan connection & the dsl phone line socket]. - but with the router, it doesnt get past the dsl link light .i.e the Internet light doesnt light up, yet the router reports that the connection to the exchange is fine.

So i assumed that she was the silver package of old where you couldnt use a router, I tried to enquire.... two 10+ minute phone calls to AOL in a queue over the course of the night hasnt helped my mood either, nor did the mention to the AOL Live Chat support thingy they have too.

"have you tried following the guide?".... "No sh*t Sherlock! And the Home Networking guide too and every setting checked and double checked too.... so try checking what package we REALLY are connected to" I wanted to say

[The package is Silver but she is connected at 2M [according to the site, 2M is Gold package] and she is paying the price of silver - but i guess more is a good thing but still.... makes me think that there's something wrong there....

Anyhow, brought the router back to mine to check so I'll reply with the results shortly...

Either way, we should be able to return it - and I'll just get the Netgear 834G or whatever it is that they suggest - not from them though

Cheers for listening.....

/rant
Old 15-December-2006, 10:25
tarquel

Sorry for the above post - I created a thread here:

http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/t23803.html?

[mods - remove this message and the previous one if required thanks]
Old 12-May-2007, 20:32
advancedkill

This page is useful for AOL users using a router:

http://help.aol.co.uk/what-are-the-e...&c=help_portal
Old 05-July-2007, 20:56
idkugoodbye

Cool Re: AOL Networking How-To

i love aol
Old 06-December-2007, 17:45
mjaslyum

So let me get this straight:

I can use my AOL Silver broadband (on my XP SP2 laptop) with out having the AOL 9.0/9.1 software on it...by reconfiguring my Netgear DG834G Router slightly differently?

Do I remove the AOL software before or after I configure the router?

We all know how badly AOL software seems to make our PCs run. And I would dearly like to remove it while legally still getting BROADBAND.
But if the AOL 9.0 software isnt on my PC...how do you check your AOL bill without going through the AOL browser?

None of us like CALLING AOL at all if we can help it. and I dont want to call to ask what my bill is going to be.

Cos we all know you cant see your AOL billing details via IE6 or 7 or Firefox.

Plus..and here's the BIG question. I have a XBOX 360 running from my router with an ethernet cable. Will changing THESE router settings affect my Xbox 360?

I once tried to change the name of my network one day out of vanity. And stopped by boyfriends Gamertag from working cos the settings had been altered.
He had to delete his Gamertag cos it wasnt valid and make a new one. Starting off again with no Gamer points.

Should I refrain from the suggested router changes if a console is attatched to it...and the console remembers it's settings from the previous set-up?

If someone can reassure me...I will go ahead and remove this pain in ze a**.
Thank you.
Old 30-March-2008, 13:12
shokan

Hi I recently bought a dell inspirion laptop and have been trying to connect it to my aol broadband connection through a number of routers/modems. I tried using the bt voyager 205 router but despite the modem connection being visible, I was not able to connect to the internet. I contacted aol and they said that they wont be able to provide me with any assistance on this modem as aol does not support it. Now I don’t want to buy a new router as I will be joining uni in a few months and thus simply want to use my current home broadband for the remaining months. Aol said that I will have to modify ‘settings’ on the 205. can anyone suggest anything. Thankyou.
Old 30-March-2008, 16:33
Optimistic Curmudgeon

Hi I recently bought a dell inspirion laptop and have been trying to connect it to my aol broadband connection through a number of routers/modems. I tried using the bt voyager 205 router but despite the modem connection being visible, I was not able to connect to the internet. I contacted aol and they said that they wont be able to provide me with any assistance on this modem as aol does not support it. Now I don’t want to buy a new router as I will be joining uni in a few months and thus simply want to use my current home broadband for the remaining months. Aol said that I will have to modify ‘settings’ on the 205. can anyone suggest anything. Thankyou.
Originally Posted by shokan View Post

Have you bothered to read the first post in this forum ?
Old 30-March-2008, 17:37
shokan

yes i have but the mtu utility is compatible only with systems upto xp. i am using vista.
Old 30-March-2008, 17:43
shokan

also, is it possible to create a LAN between my xp pc and my vista laptop simply by connecting them with an ethernet wire, so that my pc can still run using the usb modem while i dnt need a router for my laptop. thankyou.
Old 30-March-2008, 17:58
shokan

when i did setup tht lan on the local area connection status-support-repair local area connection it said - windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action could not be completed:
renewing your ip address. any ideas what i could do?
Old 30-March-2008, 18:34
Austin_KW

It is a vista problem with some routers with dhcp broadcast flag. Vista cannot get an IP address so you need to modify the registry or use static IP addressing.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233
Old 30-March-2008, 23:39
shokan

thankyou, i shall let you know if this works.

Tags
123, aol, belkin, broadband, bt, cards, computer, connection, dg834g, home, internet, line, make, modem, netgear, network, offer, phone, port, router, screen, security, software, speed, speedtouch, trojan, virus, voyager, wireless, zyxel