Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > TalkTalk

Old 29-March-2010, 21:49
CanineKiller

Default Staic IP, Port Forward, DMZ

Static IPs, Forwarding Ports and the DMZ Generally Talktalk Specific
This is a guide and is intended to give a feel for how these things work not a technical spec on each component.

IP Addresses
IP Addresses are a bit like telephone numbers. When a device is connected to the internet an IP Address is assigned to it.
This is the Public or external IP adresss. If you connect with a simple modem all communication is like direct dialling - straight there no fuss.
When a router is used to connect a Network of devices to the internet it acts like a switchboard. The switchboard assigns Private or internal IP addresses - a bit like extension numbers. The devices within the network can communicate with each other on the extension numbers. External communications are made through the Public outside line via the switchboard to the internal ip or extension.
External IP Address
For Domestic use, TT assign Public or external IP addresses dynamically. It can be different each time an ADSL connection is made. This is the address that the router uses to access the internet or WAN. This External IP Address has no function for communicating within a home network.
Internal IP Address
In a home Network the router assigns private or internal IP addresses each time a device is connected. The router does this from a pool of IP addresses referred to normally as the DHCP pool. It can not be guaranteed that IP addresses will be assigned sequentially or that a device will receive the same address twice. If changes are made to the router configuration such as for forwarding ports to a device it is important that the device has the same (or static) ip address. Imagine the difficulty if you note the extension number for a person but each time they are at work their extension changes.
Forwarding Ports
Every IP address is divided up into many ports. When one computer sends data to another computer, it sends it from a port on an ip address to a port on an ip address. Various applications use either defined ports or require ports to be assigned to them - so the data they send is bound to a port or range of ports.
This is what Squawk (a talktalk form member) said about ports:
To visualise how ports work, imagine that a computer is a huge block of flats. Each flat within the building is numbered from 1-65535 and is home to a different family. We would say that a family is bound to a particular flat. If we sent a letter to a particular family we would have to provide not only the address of the building but also the correct flat number. If we gave
the wrong flat number or no flat number the letter would never reach the right family.
So, if we have a program which is bound to a port, say 15432, on a PC which has a static IP of 192.168.1.2 and that IP address is reserved in the router for that device and the router is set to forward the port to that ip address then, all communications in on port 15432 will be forwarded to the same port (usually) on 192.168.1.2.
Demilitirised Zone (DMZ)
The DMZ forwards all ports to the ip address that is specified in the DMZ. You can think of it as a location outside the router firewall. Therefore, if you place a device IP address in the DMZ, eg a games console or server, then it can communicate unrestricted on all outward ports and also incoming communications on all ports are allowed. Do not place a PC used for everday purposes in the DMZ.UPnP
Universal Plug and Play is a setting on most routers that can be used to forward ports on request by the applications requiring them. I find it doesn't work completely nor all the time but others have different stories of success. It is another option.
Security Considerations
NB. as with all portforwarding you should still keep a keen eye on router security. Disabling SPI is necessary for forwarding ports (On Echolife HG routers especially) but it switches off the routers inbuilt capability to check if incoming connections are related to outgoing requests. I am not comfortable with people leaving router admin access passwords at default nor allowing unrestricted inbound connections to the router with only a password as protection.
Be careful out there.

Setting a Static IP on PC/Lappy
This is set on the TCP/IP properties in XP and TCP/IPv4 in Vista for the Local Area Connection in normal use.
Operating System
In XP go to Control Panel > Network Connections > right click on the Local area Connection used > Properties > TCP/IP and click Properties button.

In Vista go to Network and Sharing Centre > Manage Network Connections > right click on Local Area Connection used > Properties > TCP/IPv4 and click Properties button.

For Linux I will reference Mandriva. Go to Control Centre > click on Networking > select the LAN interface (usually eth0 by default) > click Configure.

Static IP Settings
Put dot in "Use the following IP address" and enter
- IP address: 192.168.1.2
- Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
- Default gateway: 192.168.1.1
Put dot in Use the following DNS Server addresses and enter
- Preferred DNS Server: 192.168.1.1
- Alternate DNS Server: leave blank
Click OK then Close etc.
Note: these values will work when using the Huawei and D-link routers - other routers will require amending the
'addresses" used eg the static for a Netgear would be 192.168.0.2 and Default Gateway would similarly change.

Setting A static IP for A Gaming Console
PS3
Go to Settings, then Network Settings then Internet Connection Settings.
Setting Method Custom
Wireless or wired...Your choice, If wireless enter all your own Wlan settings
IP Address Settings Manual
IP Address 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Router 192.168.1.1
Primary DNS 192.168.1.1
Secondary DNS 0.0.0.0
MTU Manual (enter same Value as router - the TT network recommends 1432)
Proxy Server Do Not Use
UPnP Enable
Note: these values will work when using the Huawei and D-link routers - other routers will require amending the
'addresses" used eg the static for a Netgear would be 192.168.0.2 and default router would similarly change.

Setting Static ip on Xbox 360
To configure your 360 for the Static IP
Select the System tab on the right hand side of the screen. Then push the A button.
Select the Network Settings button. Then push the A button.
Select the Edit Settings on this page. Then push the A button.
Select the IP Settings,IP Address,Subnet Mask,Gateway area. Then push the A button
Select the Manual option, and then push the A button.
Select the IP Address option, and then push the A button.
Enter the the ip address 192.168.1.5 into this page.
Select the Subnet Mask option on this page, and then push the A button.
Enter the subnet mask 255.255.255.0 in to this page
Select the Gateway option on this page, and then push the A button.
Enter 192.168.1.1 Then push the A button.
Select the Done option on this page, and then push the A button. You should be prompted on whether you want to test the connection or not. Select the Test Xbox Live option, and then push the A button.
Your Xbox 360's IP Address should be Confirmed.
Now to set the DNS for the Xbox
Once again get back to the Edit Settings page of your xbox 360.
Click the DNS Settings area, and then press the A button.
Click the Primary DNS Server option, and then press the A button.
Enter the primary DNS server address 192.168.1.1 on this page. Then select the done button.
Now enter the secondary DNS server 0.0.0.0 in to the secondary dns server section. When you find yourself back at the Edit DNS Settings page, select the Done option. Then press the A button.
You should be prompted on whether you want to test the connection or not. Select the Test Xbox Live option, and then push the A button.
Your Xbox 360's DNS should be Confirmed. If it is not then you have made an error in setting up your dns servers for your xbox 360.
Settings compatible with Huawei and Dlink routers Netgaer, substitute Gateway, DNS with 192.168.0.1

Router Settings

Many routers such as the Netgear and d-link ranges uses MAC addresses in the 'static' assignment of IP addresses. The Huawei range does not.

Echolife hg520 b&s
These settings enable one static IP address to work (192.168.1.2) while making space for 2 more (....1.3 & ....1.4).
Log into the router configuration pages by typing 192.168.1.1 - User and password are both admin. When you set up the router you might have changed the password, use yours if you did.
Click on Basic (left hand side) then DHCP
Set DHCP to server
Change Client Starting IP Pool to 192.168.1.5
Set size of Client IP Pool to 250
Click on submit (allow a second or so for that to be accepted)
You can repeat for 2 more static IPs. If you want to increase the number of static IPs available then increase the Client
Starting IP pool by X and decrease the Size of the Client IP Pool by X.
Go to Advanced>Security and check that SPI='Disable', if not click and Submit.
Close

Netgear DG834 Series
Log on to the Netgears User Interface Screen. http://192.168.0.1 in your web browser- default login details are Username = admin and Password = password.
Scroll down to the LAN IP Setup on the left hand navigation pane and left click (open)
Ensure that Use Router as DHCP Server box is checked
Starting ip address 192.168.0.2
Ending ip address 192.168.0.254
Now go down to Address Reservation> click on Add
In new window - If you have the PS3 connected at this time, you will see itís MAC address here.
If so just click the button beside it and the details will automatically be entered below.
Enter IP address assigned (above)
If the PS3 (device) is not connected at this time, you need to manually enter the details here for it
IP Address any you chose, I suggest starting at 192.168.0.2 this simply avoids too much confusion
MAC Address Here you need to enter the MAC Address of the PS3 (device) that you got earlier
Device Name Enter whatever you want to call your device here eg K9ís Lagfest
Now click add, then click on Lan IP Setup again and click apply.
Repeat these steps for all devices you wish to add.

D-link
Log into the router configuration pages by typing 192.168.1.1 - User and password are both admin.
Click LAN Setup and scroll to Add Static DHCP (Optional).
Select Enable
Add a Computer Name
IP Address: 192.168.1.2
MAC Address: Either Copy your PC's MAC Address or enter it here
Click Save
Static IP will be listed in the Static DHCP List
Click Save Settings
Repeat for any other Static IPs you want to assign.
Click OK to reboot.

Unfortunately, portforward.com does not seem to cover this important aspect of address reservation in guides for each
router

Portforward.com does excel on forwarding ports for a wide range of routers. Just go to the Router Selection page choose your router, pick the application and you should be sorted.

Note: those with the SmartAx 882 need to be aware that they choose the right guide - I think it is SmartAx 882v2

Example: Echolife hg520 b&s
Log onto the router.
Click on Basic > Nat > Virtual Server button
Each rule is numbered sequentially. A rule must be created to forward each port or each range of ports.

Application - used to identify what ports are being fowarded for - best to use a meaningful abbreviation for the program or device - utorr etc number them if more than one for same app..

Protocol - the type of traffic sent through the port: TCP or UDP or Both. This is defined in application manuals, help files etc. All is an easy pick if unsure.

Port Numbers relate to the ports used in and out of the internet (router).

Local IP Address refers to the device (PC) you are forwarding ports to - the static IP.
Ports (Local) are the ports that are used on the Static IP'd device.

Start and End numbers will be the same for a single port; different for a range. Generally, unless you are doing something fancy, Port Numbers and Local Ports will have same value.

Placing a Device in the DMZ

Echolife hg520 s&b
Log into your router using http://192.168.1.1. The default username and passwwird is admin. You might have change the password when you set up the router so use that password if you did.
Click on Basic and then on NAT in the left hand side navigation pane.
Click on the DMZ button.
Set DMZ = Enabled
Enter the static IP you assigned to your device in the DMZ Host IP Address box.
Click Submit.
Reboot the Router.

Netgear DG834 Series
Log into your router using http://192.168.0.1 as the address. The default username is "admin" without the quotations and the password is "password" without the quotations. You might have changed this when you setup the router, so put in your login and password if you did.
Click on WAN Setup on the left navigation page.
Make sure the check box for Default DMZ Server is ticked, and input the ip address you reserved for your console eg
You will notice here that you can also adjust your MTU Size here (should be set to 1432 for talktalk)
Now click apply and click LOG OUT on the left navigation pane.
Reboot the Router.
Old 02-April-2010, 11:36
jud1255

Default Re: Staic IP, Port Forward, DMZ

forgive my ignorance,
but if i wish for example to see my cctv from another area or country etc .
where do i get the ip number from to enter my cctv
I thought you needed a static / fixed ip number from your isp eg talktalk but i did actually ask them once if they could give me a fixed ip address and they said they cant .
Could you please enlighten me on the subject in this particular area veiwing my cctv from say another area / landline number,Yes i believe i will have to take the necassary software and install on the relevent outside area pc, that i can do. its the connecting to it where im lost.
surely i dont dial 192.168.0.1 as this is the number for everybodys setup eg netgear router's
i am using a netgear dg834 and my cctv device is usually 192.168.0.5
Old 02-April-2010, 13:59
CanineKiller

you can use one of the free ip software packages freely available
eg a 5 second google search http://www.dyndns.com/
This will give you an ip address that will constantly keep updated with your dynamic address
Old 03-April-2010, 02:27
bizzyhoody@hotmail.com

yo can someone please help me my ps3 just doest want to stay connected xbox laptop mac all good but ps3 is fine for a few hours then goes off , i have tryed the settings for most posts found still no good email or add me 2 msn bizzyhoody@hotmail.com cheers
Old 03-April-2010, 09:43
jud1255

you can use one of the free ip software packages freely available
eg a 5 second google search http://www.dyndns.com/
This will give you an ip address that will constantly keep updated with your dynamic address
Originally Posted by CanineKiller View Post
cheers m8

Tags
adsl, computer, dhcp, dmz static, dns, email, files, forward, free, gears, google, home, internet, ipaddress, line, lost, modem, netgear, network, port, public, router, screen, security, settings, sharing, software, talk, talktalk, web, xbox, zone