Old 06-January-2005, 16:16
sparkysparky

Thumbs up Broadband Which One??

Hi all i am just at the end of my 512kb contract and i wanted to know who,which is the best to join for a 1mb connection? I have had a look around at wanado, aol , bt, tiscali, they look ok but just wanted to know how you get on with yours and who you use? thanks for your help
Old 07-January-2005, 02:36
sparkysparky

Smile Re: Broadband Which One??

Anyone can you just tell me what you are using now thank you
Old 07-January-2005, 12:15

Default Re: Broadband Which One??

Which provider were you with and why are you thinking of changing?

I presume you can use your modem from the previous provider and sign up for an ISP that is not a 12 month contract (well that's what I'd do). Avoid tiscali (way too many problems!) and take a look @ <thread>:Things to ask your ADSL ISP BEFORE you sign up.

I am with eclipse and happy with their service, they aren't the cheapest but then some of the very cheap providers are likely to go bad, often you get what you pay for..

Sil

PS, welcome to TS!
Old 07-January-2005, 15:54
sparkysparky

Unhappy Re: Broadband Which One??

I am on wanando 512 at the moment which the contract finishes in a few days, so i want to upgrade i to 1gb but they have a 30mb download limit for 27.99, i had a look at aol thats 29.99 unlimited download, so not sure which one p.s thanks for the reply
Old 07-January-2005, 16:52
speedster

Anyone can you just tell me what you are using now thank you
Originally Posted by sparkysparky
Sparky,
I've been with Eclipse Broadband for about a year, they are a highly rated and recommended company. I still have the simple Home 500 package (which I'm very happy with BTW), but am considering changing to their unique Flex 500 package which allows you to boost the speed of your downloads, potentially to 2Mbps - only as/when you need it and at the touch of a button(alright the click of a mouse). You can look up the stats on prices/speeds on adslguide yourself, I'm sure Eclipse haven't given me any reason to consider moving to another provider. If it ain't broke - don't fix it!
Old 09-January-2005, 13:21
merlin

I know a lot of people have had problems with Tiscali in the past, but over the last 2 years I can not find anything to complain about. Their billing problems have all gone away, connection is almost instant and I have just noticed that I am now on 2.2Mbps. So I am quite happy with them.
Old 19-January-2005, 22:18
cheapfinder2005

Tiscali are the best. You need to cancel your line first. Best deals are at :
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/
Seem to be kinda hidden but worth it - phone packages are dang cheap too!

Steve

Last edited by Scoobs; 19-January-2005 at 22:26. Reason: no affiliate links
Old 20-January-2005, 01:07

- tiscali sucks badly so I'd advise everyone to avoid it at all costs!

scoobs has edited your refer link as we don't allow refer spamming.,

Sil
Old 21-January-2005, 20:47
corystes

I totally agree with Silver. Had a month of crap dowload speeds with Tiscali.
Averaged 49kbps on a 150kbps connection.
Supposed to have been upgraded to 256 4 days ago. Average speed over those days 28kbps!
They've been 'working' on upgrading the network path for 19 working days now. Connection and speed has gone steadily downhill.
I wouldn't recommend them to anyone at the moment.
Old 22-January-2005, 22:56
katie

Sparky,
I've been with Eclipse Broadband for about a year, they are a highly rated and recommended company. I still have the simple Home 500 package (which I'm very happy with BTW), but am considering changing to their unique Flex 500 package which allows you to boost the speed of your downloads, potentially to 2Mbps - only as/when you need it and at the touch of a button(alright the click of a mouse). You can look up the stats on prices/speeds on adslguide yourself, I'm sure Eclipse haven't given me any reason to consider moving to another provider. If it ain't broke - don't fix it!
Originally Posted by speedster
Have been with Eclipse Flex 500 for the past month and absolutely love it, after having been with Wanadoo before that for two years.

Eclipse's service is second to none, very reliable and helpful, and the flexing option ,(I can flex up to 2MBs) is fantastic and not too expensive if you just use it for the "dowloading big stuff" and don't try to flex up all the time.

Also they don't have any capping policies and don't block ports.

Katie.
Old 24-January-2005, 22:51
sparkysparky

Thumbs up Re: Broadband Which One??

Have been with Eclipse Flex 500 for the past month and absolutely love it, after having been with Wanadoo before that for two years.

Eclipse's service is second to none, very reliable and helpful, and the flexing option ,(I can flex up to 2MBs) is fantastic and not too expensive if you just use it for the "dowloading big stuff" and don't try to flex up all the time.

Also they don't have any capping policies and don't block ports.

Katie.
Originally Posted by katie
Just wanted to say to my topic i am now on Ecilpse flex 1000 and its only cost me 11 (mac and its only 2 more than my wanando and 1mb not the 512Kbps i was on and i can flex up to 2mb if i want and only a monthly contract not 12 and no download limit
Old 25-January-2005, 00:47
speedster

@ sparkysparky - That's 3 of us in the county now on The Scream - care to tell your locality? - I know some exchanges still have issues about Broadband down here, a mate of mine near Falmouth still can't get it.

11 seems a good price for your Flex - isn't the cheapest on their site 14.99?
Old 25-January-2005, 00:55

at least 5 in this thread alone, I am on eclipse

Sil
Old 25-January-2005, 10:46
katie

The cost of 11 is the "sign up cost" if you migrate from another ISP. If you're a new customer to broadband then the cost is somewhere between 30 to 50 - can't remember exactly.

Katie.
Old 25-January-2005, 13:38
Adil

eclipse seems to be good but you have to pay for all the hardware such as modem etc.
Old 25-January-2005, 22:25
sparkysparky

yes its 11 for mac but 50 for new customer, and yes you have to pay for asdl etc if you need that www.eclipse.net.uk but you get a free month of 2Mb download speed
Old 26-January-2005, 13:16
katie

eclipse seems to be good but you have to pay for all the hardware such as modem etc.
Originally Posted by Adil
True, if you don't already have hardware you can use.

Katie.
Old 26-January-2005, 13:24

The cost of 11 is the "sign up cost" if you migrate from another ISP. If you're a new customer to broadband then the cost is somewhere between 30 to 50 - can't remember exactly.

Katie.
Originally Posted by katie
A connection fee of 58.75 is payable for new broadband connections or 12.93 is charged if you are migrating your broadband service from another service provider

The fees incl vat

Unfortunately, we are not able to migrate customers of Bulldog and Tiscali due to the nature in which they deliver their broadband services.

Guess they will have to pay the 58.75 fee

Just for future info

Tags
adsl, aol, bad, broadband, bt, company, connection, deals, eclipse, free, happy, home, isp, line, modem, network, phone, speed, speeds, speedster, tiscali