Old 26-May-2002, 14:40

Default Hard drive problem

This might get confusing so pay attention:

I have two hard drives in my machine: a 20Gb Fujitsu (connected as the slave drive - referred to as D: below) which was the original drive and a 80Gb Maxtor (connected as the master drive - referred to as C: below) that I fitted about 4 months ago.

Up until Thursday morning I'd had no problems but after about 45 minutes booted up my drive(s?) started slowing down then speeding up and, eventually, stopping altogether with a BSOD saying (basically) that my drives didn't exist; indeed on rebooting neither drive would be detected.

However, if I left the computer alone for a while (a couple of hours say) everything would work fine again. Except for a few occasions where most of the system files on C: (e.g. win.com) would vanish. Copying them over from D: gave me back a working system, and I spent 3 days copying over everything from C: to D: that I hadn't yet backed up (just about everything - ahem) in the belief that I would have to start using D: as the master again while C: was repaired/replaced/given a martyr's burial.

Right: I assumed that the problem was with C: overheating, but today I disconnected it and used D: as the master and 45 minutes later got the same problem. So it seems it might have been D: causing the fault rather than C:

Okay, took a while to get here but the question is: could a problem on the slave drive also affect the master drive? (One word answers are acceptable).

Also, while I'm here, I now have several files/directories on C: that can neither be read nor deleted (I've tried in both Windows 98 and DOS): any ideas how I can get rid of them?

Last edited by bouncingjohn; 26-May-2002 at 14:48.
Old 26-May-2002, 14:53
tambranstew

Could be the cable or the controller - possibly the cable - could explain why after 45 minutes it suddenly starts to work and seems to work at random.

this would explain why it happens on both drives - try a replacement cable - they are cheap from PCWorld or a similar store - failing that it is would be the controller. - in that case probably a replacement controller through a PCI slot or a new mother board if that is not possible.

Stew
Old 26-May-2002, 15:00

humm - it could well be a h/w problem - I'm wondering if it could be a virus of some sort, probably not but worth scanning all the drives with an up to date virus DAT file and try some of the free to use online scanners.

Sil
Old 26-May-2002, 15:00

Thing is though, I'm now running okay (fingers crossed) with just the new drive in the machine.

Possibly I should mention that the old drive originally had a fan attached to it, but I had to remove that to fit the new drive in the vacant bay. This is why my thoughts were running to overheating.
Old 26-May-2002, 15:02

Sil: cross posted - I ran a complete virus scan with the latest InnoculateIT update - no problems.
Old 26-May-2002, 16:06
astral p

I had a similar problem with my CD and CDRW - they would be working OK, then they would not be recognised, then they would, then they would stop working halfway through reading a CD etc etc - the system would gradually deteriorate until it would not even post - then suddenly burst back into life again. This was happening on a four day old system.

After several weeks of investigation and frustration, and numerous formats, I eventually found that the problem was caused by the NIC that had been installed by my ISP - it was apparently interfering with the IDE resources. Popped a new NIC in, and it has been fine since then.

I know it is a long shot, but have you installed any new hardware very recently? If you have installed a new card, try moving it to a spare slot, or rearranging them if you do not have a spare, or try unplugging any new peripherals temporarily.

Like I say, it is a long shot, but worth a try.

Good luck.
Old 26-May-2002, 16:27
herne70

Read an article in PCW where a dirty fan malfunctioning and reducing cooling had the same result.

When you removed a fan and placed another drive alongside your air flow changed quite drastically.

I solved a similar problem by installing a couple of King Kong Drive Bays with their own fans and repositioning them further apart: this reduced the temperature and everything worked fine.
Old 26-May-2002, 23:07

Default Oops

Thank you everyone for your replies, but I think I know what's gone wrong and we need one of these:

What it is: a week or so ago I basically turned off the power management on my machine so the Fujitsu drive was running all the time and thus I think my initial idea that the problem was down to overheating was correct. Lets look at the history:

1) Fujitsu (only) drive with fan : no problems

2) Fujitsu (without fan) & Maxtor, but with power management: no problems

3) Fujitsu (without fan) & Maxtor, without power management: problems

I've not yet tried reconnecting the Fujitsu (now that I've re-enabled the power management) but I'm pretty sure this is the cause of the problem.

I think (but don't quote me on this) that I turned off the power management because I was having problems downloading a sizable file.
Old 26-May-2002, 23:34
Trance Addict

I've got a 20 gig Samsung 7200 RPM drive (it's 18 months old now) and I'm rnning that without a fan with no trouble, sitting underneath the 20 gig is my 40 gig IBM and thats only 5400 rpm.

I have put a fan on my SCSI though, tried running it with out and you almost fry yourself by touching it without it!!

Harddrive don't like heat though, IBM have addmitted themselves that ther 70, and 75 GXP ranges weren't designed to run 24/7!!

Behemoth
Old 28-May-2002, 13:50
herne70

Default Whudunnit or Whatdunnit?

We must have more of these puzzles based on the TV Crime Thriller recipe...... 1/ Start off with a complicated scenario.

2/ Release bits of info suggesting solutions.

3/ Finally solve the puzzle by disclosing info
with-held until the Denoument Scene!
Old 28-May-2002, 21:10
billytee

For what its worth boys.last year, on my old m/c which was an upgraded gateway P5 ( I nstalled an evergreen chip to take it up to 233mhz/mmx).
I experienced weird and wonderful behaviour.After about a fortnight of consulting with my No. 1 son who is something of a guru, in the end I took the cover off, and lo and behold, the fan was gummed up with tobacco residue. I cleaned it off and bingo; it was all systems go, and has been ever since. (my youngest son now uses it daily, erm and he doesn't smoke. billytee

Tags
cable, computer, files, free, isp, line, online, speeding, virus, windows