Old 19-December-2001, 14:01
STS

Default Heartless...

Hi,

This from my local rag :-

A four-year-old Wolverhampton boy has been sobbing his heart out since thieves cut away wires and stole a 4ft illuminated Santa decoration from outside his parents' home.

The plastic ornament, worth about 50, was taken early on Tuesday from Brynmawr Road, Lanesfield.

Father-of-three Rick Foxall said that his son Brodie was so upset he was crying for most of the day.

"When our neighbour told us the Santa had gone missing my son just burst into tears. It's sickening that someone could do something like this.

"It's supposed to be the season of goodwill and yet you've got people out there driving around in the middle of the night looking for things to steal. They will probably sell it on and get enough to buy a few pints, while my son has been left sobbing his heart out."

His wife Lesley has tried to get a replacement butshops have sold out, he said.

"I've promised Brodie I'll have another Santa for him before Christmas but the problem is being so close to the event everyone has sold out. It was quite an unusual decoration because it was so big."

Pc Chris Trainer wants anyone with information about the theft to come forward.

"This was a despicable crime by someone who either plans to sell the Santa on or is not very keen on Christmas decorations."

It pi**es me off to read stuff like this.... Xmas is a time for kids (big and small) and this is just downright mean, I go to great lengths to put lights up outside the house because not only does it look pretty but it adds to the spirit of things for the kids. Ours are all pretty much grown up now and are uninterested (but for their pressies) but the community as a whole benefits from people making an effort to get into the general theme of things.

Annoyed... STS
Old 19-December-2001, 14:25
Tebbie

there are some really mean people out there im afraid poor Brody

tebs
Old 19-December-2001, 16:54
squidgy

"It's supposed to be the season of goodwill and yet you've got people out there driving around in the middle of the night looking for things to steal. They will probably sell it on and get enough to buy a few pints, while my son has been left sobbing his heart out."
Season of goodwill? Maybe they'll give it to someone as a present. Sorry for being a cynic there.

"I've promised Brodie I'll have another Santa for him before Christmas but the problem is being so close to the event everyone has sold out. It was quite an unusual decoration because it was so big."
Aha! I think you'll find that therein lies the problem that caused the theft to happen in the first place.
Old 19-December-2001, 17:03
STS

Default Which....

Hi,

So if someone places a huge Santa (illuminated or not) outside their home as a decoration @ this time of the year then it's fair game to all the thieves in the area to take it then ?.

I spose the scum that thieved it ought to have had a seasonal raffle between themselves to decide which particular night to take it on as well.

STS
Old 19-December-2001, 17:13
Tebbie

Can't imagine anyone stealing a xmas decoration to give as a gift,, but if they did,, would have made a better gift it they hadn't cut it's wires.

I think it's hard to put a positive spin on such a silly bit of theivery. It was of no real value to anyone except a 4 year old who probably saw some kind of xmas magic in it.

tebs
Old 19-December-2001, 19:01
squidgy

STS has missed my point. No I'm not saying it's right, I'm merely pointing out that if the shops have sold out of them, then it kinda suggests that it's a desirable thing to have. And if the shops have sold out of them, then the only way of getting one is to nick one. That's the way the world is.

To me, the fact that this has happened (both the theft itself, and the fact that the victim saw fit to draw media attention to it) shows that Christmas is being taken over by materialism, and that people are forgetting its true meaning (assuming it has one, of course).
Old 19-December-2001, 19:11
squidgy

Also, did this four year old boy really cry all day as a result of it? I kinda take that with a pinch of salt, after all, if you think it about it, it seems incredibly shallow. It's hardly likely that he's spent so much of his time just outside the front door getting acquanted with the decoration that it would mean that much to him, given the cold weather we've been having lately.

Did anyone film it all? No, it just adds spin to the story. I think it's unlikely that he cried all day, and if he did, it was probably about something else. Maybe he misinterpreted the idea of Santa going missing, after all, I don't think my communication skills were brilliant when I was that age. Don't believe everything you read.
Old 21-December-2001, 09:53
STS

Default Super

Hi,

Knew this would happen :-

Brodie gets his Santa after all

A four-year-old Wolverhampton boy, left broken-hearted when thieves stole his 4ft Santa decoration from outside his home, was today due to be presented with a replacement.

Willenhall firm Hooty's has stepped in to console Brodie Foxall and is handing him a new Father Christmas.

Manufacturers had sold out of outdoor models so the youngster will be given an indoor ornament instead - and it can sing and dance.

Brodie sobbed his heart out when he discovered his illuminated Santa had been stolen from the porch roof of the family home in Brynmawr Road, Lanesfield.

His father Rick said he cried all day about it but hoped the replacement would put a smile on his face.

He said the Hooty's offer was "a really nice gesture" and he though Brodie would be very excited.

Jane Evans, a Hooty's director, said Mr Foxall's wife Lesley had bought the original from the firm and had called about a replacement.

"We tried to get her one but everywhere had sold out being so close to Christmas," she said.

The new one sings, wiggles and "does all manner of things" she added.

"It's very nice so we hope he likes it. Brodie can take it from room to room with him and have Santa close to him all the time."

STS
Old 21-December-2001, 16:04
squidgy

Seriously, that's pretty kewl.

If I was going to be really cynical, I could say it's given me a few ideas about how to use the media to get chrimo decor on the cheap for next year. But I won't. Seriously, though, I'm pleased that it's all panned out happy.
Old 29-September-2015, 15:27

Default Re: Heartless...

That was me
Old 07-October-2015, 03:43
Safe Sane Consensual

Default Re: Heartless...

Great to have this update Brodie. Seems you have not been scarred by this unfortunate childhood experience and thanks to our wonderful education system you are able to write about it.

Tags
christmas, forward, happy, home, internet, lights, offer, xmas