Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Orange / Wanadoo / Freeserve

Old 17-January-2002, 19:29
Waves goodbye

Default Bloody sad excuse for an ISP : (

Anyone else had to dial up 17 times between 9 and midday today ?

Anyone else either manage to dial up then NO bytes are sent/received and every page comes up as PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED ?

Anyone else dial up and NO bytes are sent/recieved and after a few minutes of inactivity you get bloody CUT OFF and asked if you want to redial ?

Anyone else F**ING SICK of this sh*te 12.99 a month total F**ING RIP OFF service called "Anytime" ?

Old 17-January-2002, 23:52
Safe Sane Consensual

Sorry you are in difficulties Mega.

No problems here .....44K speed right now and first time connection throughout the day. Freeserve are on average the fastest ISP modem provider I've experienced.

It must be the particular number you are using or you have a line or software problem.

Are you using the latest number advised by Freeserve... we discussed this on another thread?
Old 18-January-2002, 10:29
Waves goodbye

Angry Help....

Cheers for the reply.

Please can I beg you to post EVERY single one of your settings here please just for me, i.e. all your Freeserve Anytime dial-up settings along with all those mysterious boxes you have either got ticked or unticked (please) !!!!!!!!!!!

I am desparate
Old 18-January-2002, 10:40
Safe Sane Consensual

Hold on ten minutes Mega. Will do
Old 18-January-2002, 10:47
Waves goodbye

Cheers Worldlife, much appreciated.

I'll give you 20 minutes as I have to nip to the bank and see if my pay has come yet !

back v.soon !
Old 18-January-2002, 11:04
Safe Sane Consensual

Default Dial Up Network Setting for Freeserve Anytime

DIAL UP NETWORK SETTINGS
My Computer/Dial UP Networking/Freeserve Anytime/Properties/

General
Phone number 1470 08089916001 (The 1470 is a release number if you have call ID with held)
Modem is described 'Configure' describes confirms it is on Port Com3 with Max speed 115200

Server types
PPP: Internet, Windows NT Server, Windows 98
Enable software compression ticked
TCP/IP ticked

TCP/IP settings tab leads to following Server assigned IP address dotted. Server assigned name server addresses dotted. Use IP head compression ticked . Use default gateway ticked

Scripting Start terminal screen minimized is ticked

Multilink Do not use additional devices

Outlook Express and Explorer 6 settings to follow
Old 18-January-2002, 11:45
Safe Sane Consensual

Default My Internet Explorer 6 settings

INTERNET EXPLORER 6
Tools/Internet Options/

General
Home Page -'Use Blank' button has been used so panel reads "about:blank"
History - is set to keep 20 days
Colors button settings are "Use Windows Colors
Fonts button settings are "Arial" and "Lucida Console"
Languages button setting is English(United Kingdom) (en-gb)
Accessibility button settings are blank
Security I think I have got this set to default "Medium Level"
PrivacySet to "Medium"
Content Don't recall setting any of these
Connections
Freeserve Anytime is set as default but other ISPs are listed too.
Dial whenever a network connection is not present is dotted
From the Settings button
Automatic configurations are not selected
Use proxy server is selected
The settings are Address= http://www-cache.freeserve.net/ Port =8080
The dial up settings are (username).fsnet.co.uk and your password is shown with stars.
Programs
HTML editor =blank
EMail = Outlook Express
Newsgroups =Outlook Express
Internet call=Microsoft NetMeeting
Calendar=blank
Contact list=Address book
Advanced
Believe I am using the default settings here

PS don't think you problem is related to Outlook settings. Let me know how your present setting compare with mine and if changing them improves things GOOD LUCK

Last edited by Worldlife; 18-January-2002 at 11:52.
Old 18-January-2002, 12:05
Waves goodbye

Cheers for your hard work ( )

My dial-up settings are exactly the same as yours but I get a real dire connection speed and I use the same dial-up number

(1470,08089916001) except as you can see, I have a comma between the 1470 and the number.... make any difference ?

My IE5.5 settings are also the same as yours too

What else could cause such a slow net connection, any ideas please ?

Edit: typo !

Last edited by MegaTsunami; 18-January-2002 at 12:08.
Old 18-January-2002, 12:14
Paul

mega
have you had an email from freeserve on how to improve your connections, hang on i will find the email and post it on

http://www.freeserve.com/newsletter/...p/default2.htm

try that

Paul
Old 18-January-2002, 12:42
Waves goodbye

Yup, have done that thanks !

Same as the info. Worldlife gave tho !

Maybe it's my naff internal modem ?

Conexant HCF PCI internal modem, driver version 2.1.2.171.003...

Old 18-January-2002, 14:16
Safe Sane Consensual

Mega the comma is just a pause in the dialing. Probably best left in as a default setting.

Have you another ISP you could try? If that one too gives problems then my suspicions would be with the hardware because you confirm that your settings match mine.

There's a remote possibility of telephone line trouble. How many things do you have operating on the line? Might be worth reporting difficulties to your TELCO - if they increase your line gain as a result it can only be advantageous.

Getting near the limit of my ability to help further.
Old 18-January-2002, 17:49
Paul

mega

worldlife sounds as if he might be right about hardware probs. check every connection back to the box. you should'nt have too long a cable or too many connections between the modem and tel box.

also get the tel company to test your line it may be faulty.

just a throught it might be worth deleting the modem driver in device manager and then getting the computer to reload them from the instalation disc, when you do a refresh.

Paul
Old 18-January-2002, 19:49

If, of an evening, you get lots of disconnections then do the line tests - they're listed in BT Line Tests (quiet line/distance from exchange etc) also check any extention cables and plugs you might be using

Sil
Old 18-January-2002, 20:27
Screamager

There are 4 dial-up numbers, which aren't chargeable to FS Anytime subscribers:

08089977001 or 08089916001 (available in most but not all areas, and IIRC it's either/or, not both), and nationwide 08089933006 and 16164208452402602.

If your allocated number's playing up, try another. I can get 3 of the 4, so have set up a DUN connection for each, and just click on one or other to connect. They prefer you to stick to your given number, but you can use an alternative if you're having trouble getting through.

I got this information from an Energis Squared techie in the newsgroup freeserve.help.anytime, where it's posted regularly. The chap's called Steven Clarke, and if you post your details there he'll check it out. If he finds there's a problem at Freeserve's end, he'll let them know so they can sort it out. He seems to be a lot more use than Freeserve themselves when it comes to helping with connection problems.
Old 24-January-2002, 05:06
jhp4561

And i thought AOL was bad I was going to try FREESERVE but after reading these......me thinks NO....then again, everybody doen,t have the same probs now do they ?
Old 24-January-2002, 06:29
Screamager

One person with problems (which may or may not be down to his own equipment or settings) puts you off an ISP?

I've tried BT, Breathe and Freeserve in the last year, and FS has easily been the best, for a couple of quid a month less than the others. No ISP's perfect, but FS has alternative numbers, and I've never been stuck for a connection.
Old 25-January-2002, 10:43
Paul

I would give them ago. i have used freeserve for several years from different parts of the country and in the main i have had relativily good connections all the time. and recently anytime has given me far high speeds than i used to get. the trick is to have all the various numbers listed as seperate connections if one dosnt work try another. i now have windows xp with express 6 this cycles though the various numbers until one connects. also at least hopfully freeserve are not going to disappear in a weeks time. they host my small website and have done for years, punters can log on easily and get what they needwithout to much trouble

remember all of us who chat here are not representative of the general population, we are here because we had problems in the past and were looking for help.

Paul
Old 29-January-2002, 04:11
jhp4561

Exclamation

no not really frank...having been on and through other forums ( new to this one ) and reading other ppl's thought's, it makes me wonder how anyone signs up with any ISP at all.. but the old story... the public demands-- they supply ( most of the time )
All ISP's have there probs at one time or other i know, but are we in the UK ever going to get a really decient ISP ( dial up ) or are there just to many ppl and not enough servers ?
Broad band for me saddly is approx 18mths away , isdn is here though. In my conclusion, what one ISP is good for one person, can be totaly pants for another. So many factors are to be taken into consideration and presented . I am not a gamer as such ( u wanna game- buy a playstation, just my thought, although graphics are better on the PC !! ) , just want to surf for info / d/l files ect, just your typical internet user .
Have been with lineone before but, customer support was none existant but, connection was always 1st time. V21 was next but, at the time ( 1yr ago ),they were having probs with servers ect.
So AOL it is now. but the last 2/3wks have been utter hell
so i was thinking that it would be better to have 2 ISP's to connect to incase one buggers up or you cannot get through !
So it seems to be decision time in next wek or so.....stay with AOL and get another ISP as well or, chuck it and get another two fresh one's.....

we shall but see............

Nice little forum this .. just for the record.... cheers JHP

Last edited by jhp4561; 29-January-2002 at 04:52.
Old 05-February-2002, 21:07
Paul

yeah it is an't it.

i like the fact that if you get stuck some one out there has an answer.

tick the box below and get an e mail every time some replies to you. useful to know when that has happened jhp4561.

Have you been to the news section and got your self ud to fight cancer

Paul
Old 05-February-2002, 21:31

You on comission or something paul ?

Thread is at the top of the news forum, it's good fun as well as a great cause

Sil

PS, welcome to TS! JHP

Tags
aol, bad, bt, cable, company, compare, computer, connection, email, files, internet, isp, line, mail, make, modem, network, port, public, screen, security, settings, slow, software, speed, speeds, windows