Old 09-August-2002, 09:40
matt

Thumbs down aol problems

I have been having major problems with AOL which they cannot seem to resolve despite long hours on the phone to them.
The problems are twofold,firstly I dont have a connection problem but once connected I find I cant view web pages (I usually get a "no page to display" screen after a while) although I can access email and AOL Services.Logging off and coming back on normally sorts this but it is a pain.

Secondly and far more importantly once connected and I do manage to access the web I have the problem that after opening a few windows it slows to a snails pace which is unusable unless you have the patience of a Saint!

AOL eventually said that the problem lay with Windows ME and something to do with tcp/ip stack(sounds like medication for blocked flues!) I have since spent 50 on bringing in a consultant who spent hours testing connection speeds etc etc and he claims that it is almost certainly back end server problem at aol although he did say there would be no chance of getting them to admit it.

Im operating Windows ME with AOL 7 and a home highway connection.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Matt
Old 09-August-2002, 13:42

I find I cant view web pages (I usually get a "no page to display" screen after a while) although I can access email and AOL Services.Logging off and coming back on normally sorts this but it is a pain.
Which browser are you using here, AOLs one or Internet Explorer (or both ?)
This sounds like a problem at AOLs end, either a problem with web access (maybe a fault transparent proxy server) or just a general problem with accessing the internet outside of AOLs network.

You could try pinging various hosts

open a dos prompt, type ping www.the-scream.co.uk

and you will get something similar to :

C:\>ping www.the-scream.co.uk

Pinging www.the-scream.co.uk [xxx.xx.xx.xxx] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from xxx.xx.xx.xxx: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=252

If you get

C:\>ping www.the-scream.co.uk

Pinging www.the-scream.co.uk [xxx.xx.xx.xxx] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Then there is a general connectivity problem getting outside of AOLs network (assuming mail and the other aol services works ok)

You can also check to see if your PC is ok by signing up for a pay-as-you-go (0845) account with someone like freeserve, if this works ok, then the problem lies with AOL, or with AOLs software.

Tags
aol, connection, email, home, internet, network, phone, screen, software, speeds, web, windows