Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Networking

Old 16-March-2003, 16:36
fridgebuzz

Default Sharing a Cable modem between a PC and Mac

Is it possible basically?

Set is:

PC connects via a USB port.

Mac connects thru a ethernet card.

Problems I'm having is I have to power down the modem, then switch from the PC to the mac, then power up so it reassigns the IP. The NTL bods got all tecky on me - something to do with then Mac using DCHP (?!) and if I don't power down the modem it can't access the server as the IP is generated by the Mac (starts with 193) as opposed to by the ISP (starts with 213).

Anyway I can avoid this powering down/up crud?

If I can't then it's cool. I'll just use one or other of them for browsing.

Any help thankfully recieved in advance

Off to see if my new switcher thingie allows me to share the monitor
Old 16-March-2003, 16:44

easiest way is probably to put network cards (your main PC will need 2 cards) in each of the boxes..

then put a proxy onto the windoz box and connect the mac to that via a cross-over cable - should be quite straight forward

Sil

PS, I don't know macs - but it sounds like it already has an ethernet connection on it - which means u just need another card for the PC?
Old 16-March-2003, 21:05
fridgebuzz

ok sil a good idea there

Macs come with ethernet cards as standard yes.

So let me get this straight.......sorry but that was verging on too tecky for me

If I put a ethernet card in my PC and connect to the cable modem thru that instaed of USB then I can in some way connect these two cards with those PJ45 ethernet thingie cables..?

Is that it m8?

thanks.
Old 16-March-2003, 22:50

ok - you need (tho there are plenty of other ways!) a connection from the PC to the router, if this is already done via USB (?) then leave it like it is,, you then need a connection between the mac and the PC,. since the mac already has an ethernet (RJ45) connection you just need an ethernet card in the PC (unless it already has one?) .,. then connect the PC and mac via a cross-over cable,,

stick a web proxy on the PC and you're set

Sil
Old 10-April-2003, 09:07
fridgebuzz

Update sil.

Setting up Netgear DSL Router today. PCI Ethernet card fitted in PC yesterday.

I managed to "download" two proggies called Pc MAclan (PC) and Dave (Mac) these are the dogz biscuits for sharing Files and printers between platforms apparantly.

I'm told that my router will make a network that will enable this.

Hope it all goes smoothly - I aint got time for messin'

thanks for the advice anyway

Any idea if FastEthernet Cat5 cable is betterer than the normal stuff?

EDIT - Oh and Ive noticed a VAST improvement uin D/L speeds since switching to an Ethernet too
Old 10-April-2003, 09:14

ahh yeah - that'll work

I thought mac could talk to windows boxes w/o messing with stuff, i.e. that macs understood windows file+print sharing?

I guess the router will assign IP adresses etc via dhcp,. so there should be very little you need to do - just plug in and go

Sil
Old 10-April-2003, 09:20
fridgebuzz

Yeah it does assign IP auto by DCHP so should be a doddle.

As for File print sharing.......yeah I read about the improvementsin OS X ....basicaly it is simple to share .......not sure if that's JUST between Macs and Macs or Macs and PC's also though.

Got those other proggies as a backup coz I NEED this to work!
Old 10-April-2003, 09:27

if you have OSx then it def works between windows and mac w/o problem - have seen it working (on an ibook thingy)..

Sil
Old 10-April-2003, 09:29
fridgebuzz

Excellent! That's printers too then sil?
Old 10-April-2003, 09:32

Any idea if FastEthernet Cat5 cable is betterer than the normal stuff?
Cat5 is the normal stuff, which is fine for general use.

EDIT - Oh and Ive noticed a VAST improvement uin D/L speeds since switching to an Ethernet too
The speed of data travelling over a USB port is dependent on the cpu usage of your pc, and what else is plugged into the other usb ports. (an) ethernet (card) is much less affected by cpu usage, so even a 10Mb/s ethernet will be faster than a 12Mb/s usb port.

You shouldnt need to run an application on both the mac and the pc to share stuff (although IANAME) either one or t`other (ie get the mac to be compatible with the pc or vice-versa)
Old 10-April-2003, 09:36

macs have got inbuilt s/w that allows them to talk windows - so should work for files and printers w/o probs

once u have it hooked up make sure you can ping between the 2 boxes, esp if they can't "see" each other through f+p sharing.

Sil
Old 10-April-2003, 09:38
fridgebuzz

I'm sorta reading up on this as I type guys.

Basically it sounds like its easier to set up a Mac to share with a PC than vice versa, but I'm sure Win XP is easy. Been reading up on that too. There's loads of stuff out there.

Any Mac Heads out there check out Macfora

Thanks Ian for the info.

Didn't know that about USB - very interesting.

Thinking of investing in a Firewire Zipdrive too. Firewire is supposed to be the fastest and most efficient way of transferring large files at high speed yeah.

EDIT

X threaded. Yeah Pinging .....read about that - gonna do it. Had to explain to other half what it was I was reading ,whgen I said it was info about "pinging" I was met with a funny looki.......can't imagine why

RE-EDIT

Oh this book just arrived by Post as I typed........

Switching to the Mac ....looks good so far
Old 10-April-2003, 22:38
fridgebuzz

Well my Brain hurts.

Got the Mac talking to the PC no probs. Can connect to server and access the folders I've set to be shared on my PC.

But can I access the Mac from my Pc.......can I buggery

Gotta look closely at this problem.

Also cannot print on my USB Canon S450 (connected to PC) thru my Mac. Theres a way of doing this I'm sure.............Samba.....CUPS......or something like that.

My head hurts

Any ideas?
Old 11-April-2003, 08:48

Samba is what allows your mac to access windows network shares and allows windows pcs to access shares on your mac (plus sharing printers back and forth)

CUPS is the common unix printing system, and is what allows you to actually print from the mac.

I would imagine you need both to print to your pc. (does the canon work in the mac ? maybe it would be easier to get it working the other way round ?)

What happens when you try to access the mac from the pc ? (nothing, error, password box?, etc)

ps. heres a guide to setting up cups and samba : http://us3.samba.org/samba/ftp/docs/htmldocs/cups.html
I do hope the mac has a nice front end gui for it ....
Old 11-April-2003, 09:26

If you have OS X 10.2 try this:
http://groups.google.com/groups?&hl=...le.net&rnum=24

doesnt look too scary...
Old 11-April-2003, 10:19
fridgebuzz

Thanks Ian will look when I've time Have bookmarked the links.

I was reading alot about CUPS on the net last night and Samba. Didn't make a lot of sense. Downloaded something on the Mac called Gimp-Print (I'm saing nada ).

Still no joy though.

The Canon S450 does indeed work no probs when it's plugged directly into to MAc USB.

TRying to get it to work from the via the PC - thought of that........haven't tried it yet...

In the Network Connection properties (on the PC) something called File & Printer Sharing for Windows is instaled along with the TCP/IP stuff..........is that a good sign?

Got a lot to do today. But will attempt another assault on it later.........

Oh BTW I can access the files I've shared on the PC thru th4e Mac APART from the Printer which I have also shared on the PC. Very strange.

I must confess to being utterly stumped.

Sorry if I'm being a little non tecky here - I sort of understand things but thanks for the help

Old 11-April-2003, 20:56
fridgebuzz

Ian thanks for those links.

This one you posted Samba did the trick.

i've got the printer working now from the mac. It just prints straight thru though..you can't adjust the settings at all - i'll have to look at that.

Just got to get the PC to see the Mac now. Ping works fine so the Network is working ok.

I'll get there.

thanks again

Tags
cable, cards, connection, dhcp, files, forward, google, isp, make, modem, netgear, network, port, router, settings, share, sharing, speed, speeds, talk, web, windows