Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > AOL

Old 14-March-2005, 00:45
Wolverine

Unhappy A Suitable ADSL Modem With Ethernet ???

Hi,

PLEASE HELP !!!

I have recently received a Belkin Pre-N router as a present, however I was not aware that the existing modem would not work with the Belkin (i currently have a BT Voyager USB). I cant return it even if I wanted as I opened it !!!

I am now busy searching the net for a suitable modem. I have rang AOL who refused to help me in any way, shape or form !

In one of the posts, the "Ebuyer 4 Port SPI Firewall ADSL Modem Router" was recommended. However, I was hoping that someone could tell me of any other modems they either use or highly recommend and easy to set-up for a very very novice user (the guy at PC World recommend NetGear, but he said they no longer stock the modem that I needed and he couldnt give me the part number either).

I have had a look at the D-Link DSL-300T, with some websites say it will work and others say it will not, and I dont want to order it to find that it doesnt work and be stuck with it whilst I look for another modem.

I would really appreciate any help, Thanks.

PS: I rang Belkin, but for some reason they were unable to recommend a modem, saying they dont actually do an ADSL modem by itself, only combined with another router !
Old 14-March-2005, 02:04
shadow101

Default Re: A Suitable ADSL Modem With Ethernet ???

well i dont know a great deal about that router, if its not got a dsl port for you to put the voyager modem in, then you can install the modem on a computer and have an internal network set up with that computer as the gateway for the internet using Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). If it has a dsl link try it and see! only way to find out. Just because AOL dont support it doesnt mean it cant work, infact its more than likely it will.
Old 14-March-2005, 04:57
Shadow9684s

is it not a router/modem you got? thats what you should have got to make life easy that way you just replace the modem with the router rather than plugging it into the router
Old 14-March-2005, 08:43

tho you might have got a router I would sell it on ebay or something and buy an adsl router modem,. it's a heck of a lot easier to install / use an 'all in one' solution

Sil
Old 14-March-2005, 18:14
Wolverine

Red face Re: A Suitable ADSL Modem With Ethernet ???

Thanks for the speedy replies !!!

The Belkin has no USB ports and I was hoping to that someone could recommend a modem cause having recieved £200 worth of goods (Router, Notebook card), selling it on Ebay for around £100 is very hard to swallow.

The modem is meant to be top-notch, better signal and faster than existing 802.11g (using MIMO) - something no other manufacture is offering at the moment.

I tried to have the Belkin exchanged for an all-in-one solution, but PC World refuse to take it back.

I need to know that if I purchase a cheap Modem/Router combined (something like the NetGear DG632, which is a modem and router in one (£45)), will I be able to use the modem from this to connect to the Belkin Pre-N router ??? Or am I better of switching to another ISP like NTL ???

Once again I appreciate the time and help you have put into helping me.

Thanks.
Old 14-March-2005, 20:22
ormus55

the dlink dsl-300t certainly should work, but for 30 quid.

why not get a modem/router combined for less than that? itll make life a lot easier.
check out ebuyer etc for really good prices on cheapo routers.

then sell the modem on ebay to some other poor soul?
Old 14-March-2005, 20:27
ormus55

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=48448

the 4 port version is about 4 quid dearer.
Old 15-March-2005, 23:49
Wolverine

Wink Re: A Suitable ADSL Modem With Ethernet ???

Thanks Ormuss55 !!!

I will contact ebuyer to make sure that I can hook it up to the Belkin Pre-N router and is compatible as stated on their website cause I have been ringing around to a few ADSL Modem providers (including Broadband Buyer), all of whom contradict their own websites when it comes to compatibility !!!

Broadband Buyer say that the D-Link DSL-300T works with AOL (they even sell it as a bundle with the Belkin Router), and encouraging people to buy it over other modems in their support forums, even claiming to have successfully tested it. But when I called them they said it may not work and that if I returned it, there would be a 20% re-stocking fee !!!

Once again, thanks, and wish me good luck cause I definitely need it.
Old 16-March-2005, 03:22
ormus55

youre welcome, hope it all works out for you.

i still think that using an all in one adsl modem/router kit is best. and cheaper?
good luck. let us know how it goes?
Old 16-March-2005, 14:16
Alnath

I would get this belter http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=48449 and dump the rest on ebay.
Old 16-March-2005, 15:59

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=48448

the 4 port version is about 4 quid dearer.
Originally Posted by ormus55

it's not a modem,. it's an adsl modem-router, which is quite different,.

as a number of peeps have said you should get an all in one adsl-modem-router and ditch the one you have,.

trying to hook two 2 routers together is going to cause you pain unless you know what you're doing

Sil
Old 16-March-2005, 18:47
ormus55

yes it is, and thats what i said. read my reply a bit more carefully.
Old 16-March-2005, 21:20

yes - I wasn't implying you said it was a modem

I was trying to make it clearer to Wolverine that it is not what he requested in his first post.. also after your post he says

I will contact ebuyer to make sure that I can hook it up to the Belkin Pre-N router and is compatible as stated on their website cause I have been ringing around to a few ADSL Modem providers (including Broadband Buyer), all of whom contradict their own websites when it comes to compatibility !!!
which implies he may not realise the difference

Sil

PS, jus to bang home the point, it's likely to not be a good idea to put 2 routers back to back,. it's possible but best avoided unless you have very specific requirements
Old 16-March-2005, 22:19
ormus55

yes ok, i also spotted those statements and wasnt too sure what wolverines intentions were?
it confused me somewhat.

think its all cleared up now?
Old 17-March-2005, 22:34
Wolverine

Talking Re: A Suitable ADSL Modem With Ethernet ???

UPDATE !!!

Just to let everyone know, I managed to sweet talk the good people at PC World to take back all items !!! (I actually think they felt sorry for me)

And I will take everyone’s advice into consideration when trying to sort out my next network (ALWAYS GO FOR THE "ALL-IN-ONE" SOLUTION !!!).

Other manufactures have also began releasing news of their MIMO technology routers so it just a waiting game at the moment.

I appreciate everyone's help, and there is a very high probability that I will be returning here asking for your expert advice on which manufacture to choose.

Thanks people !!!

Tags
adsl, aol, belkin, broadband, bt, computer, connection, home, internet, isp, make, modem, netgear, network, port, router, sharing, speedy, talk, voyager