Old 26-July-2001, 03:09
我們被注定

Question Networking Novice!

Howdy folkes!
Haven't been here for a while, just been busy busy. Anyway! I've decided to newtwork my two comps together, so the kids don't keep asking if they can use mine when I'm on it.
What operating system would be the best to use? By that I mean for simple networking would Win98se be ok. Or would it be better to use windows 2000 or Nt? For the latter 2, I suspect I would have to change all my drivers!
Also after typing winipcfg in the run box on what is to be the guest comp, it doesn't display an Ip number. All I get is 00.00.00.00. I'm sure when it comes to me setting up a home network I'm going to need an Ip number aren't I?
If anyones know how I can fix this please let me know.

Cheers
Beef.
Old 26-July-2001, 04:50
Screamager

OK, first of all you will be fine with Win98.

Second, you will need two network cards if you are to network them properly. It is these network cards that you assign the ip to that gives the machines their identity on the network. Do you have network cards already installed in both machines?

Third, the fun bit comes when you choose how you are going to share the internet connection, if indeed you are?

'Slo
Old 26-July-2001, 06:33
我們被注定

Hi Onslo! I will be picking up a Network kit later on today. But won't be installing them until after work! Which will be about 2-2:30am.
Also I'm pleased I don't have to change Os's. I didn't fancy changing all my drivers for Hardware.
Funny you should mention Internet connection because that's the one of the shares top on my list of sharing!
I was just trying to find out the Ip # on the guest and there isn't one!!!
So anyway. No cards in until tomorrow morning. Unless I stay up that is

Yours
Beef
Old 26-July-2001, 07:21
Screamager

Setting it all up is easy Beef

I need to get some sleep now, been at work all night, but when I wake up I will write you a quick guide

'slo
Old 26-July-2001, 13:56
Screamager

First of all you need to install the Network cards and their relevant drivers (obviously). Check the Device MAnager once done to ensure that they are listed.

Next, go to 'Control Panel' and select 'Network'. We need to assign an identity to both computers and ensure that they have the same 'Workgroup'. To do this select the 'Identification' tab in the middle. Give your computer a name, and a workgroup. You will need different names for each pc connected, but they should all have the same workgroup name.

Once done, select the 'Configuration' tab on the left. You should see a listing of adapters, clients and protocols. We need to assign an IP address and Mask to both pc's. You are probably aware that each IP must be unique on the network, else it won't work, but the Mask should be the same (generally). To set this up you need to highlight the TCP/IP -> {Name of Network Adapter} protocol and then select 'Properties'. CLick on the IP Address tab. You will see 2 radio buttons and 2 boxes. Select the radio button that says 'Specify an IP address' and then enter your IP address and Mask in the boxes below. I use a class C mask and IP range. 192.168.1.1 (IP) and 255.255.255.0 (Mask). Remember to set the other pc the same but increment the last digit of the IP address (so it becomes 192.168.1.2).

Once done, Hit OK. You should be back at the adpater,client and protcol listing in the 'Configuration' tab. Hit OK again, and restart when prompted. Your network card should now be set up. If you want to share files and printers, hthen you will need to set this accordingly also. This option can be found in the 'Configuration' tab again.

Any Questions?

'Slo
Old 26-July-2001, 15:29

Yeah - what onslo said

You might need to add the TCP/IP protocol to go over the network card (is easier to do than explain - like most things ) once you've set up the IP addr (as onslo said) then you can do a bit of a confidence testing by 'pinging' the local IP - an then the IP of the remote PC (if its turned on an connected!).

To ping an IP - open a 'dos window'.

an type

ping <IP>

try that with both the IPs - ie the local IP an the one on the remote PC

it should come back as pinged sucessful

Also - when you plug the ethernet cable in, the lights on both cards should come on, if they don't its prolly a network card failure, one failed on me b4 - an I thought Id done somthing wrong

Sil

PS - slightly more advanced: you might want to check back at the GRC article on removing netbios over TCP/IP - add netbeui to the network card protocols, then remove it from the dialup then bind all the f&p sharing etc to that netbeui instance
Old 26-July-2001, 15:51
我們被注定

Have you two ever heard of "PLAIN ENGLISH CAMPAIGN "

Slo and Silver,your instructions were very easy to understand.
I'll let you know how I get on. Time to go to work now!

Thanks
Beef.

Last edited by The Beef; 26-July-2001 at 15:55.
Old 26-July-2001, 17:10
Screamager

I tried to keep it simple, believe me....I could have baffled you completely if I wanted

'Slo
Old 26-July-2001, 21:32

Beef - lots of useful stuff in tutorial on how to link 2 home PCs to gether?
Sil
Old 27-July-2001, 01:31
我們被注定

Right. Just home from work having some orange juice, checking emails and then, I will dive into the abyss of setting up my home network. If I'm not back in a few hours, Tell Sally I love her
Just looked at that Link you posted Sil

Yours
Beef.

Last edited by The Beef; 27-July-2001 at 01:33.
Old 27-July-2001, 04:53
我們被注定

Thumbs up All is well

Ok I'm back! I have succsesfully got my network up and running, thanks to you guys,
Had a bit of trouble to start with! I assigned the Ip address to the TCP/IP dial upnetworking and not my network adaptor. Everything worked fine, except I couldn't get onto the Internet. Well I could get on but no pages would display. I realised my error and put it right. So network is running and so is Internet.
I'm off to have a look at the link that Silver posted now. If you guys could give me anymore useful tips, it'd be much appreciated. I'm sure there's a lot more to this than the very little I've discovered.

Yours (FULLY NETWORKED )

Beef
Old 31-July-2001, 12:12
我們被注定

The other day I installed Windows ICS and managed to get the kids client computer sharing my internet connection. Due to a fault of my own I uninstalled ICS then reinstalled it. Now I can get the client computer to connect to the internet, but can't get it to access web pages. If anyone knows what I can do to get it working again it, would be much appreciated.

Yours
Beef.
Old 01-August-2001, 01:36
我們被注定

Me again! I sorted the Ics out yesterday and the client comp is now able to access the Internet again. But for the life of me I can'r figure out how to get the client to dial a connection if there isn't one already there. IN other words, if the comp with the modem isn't connected, then the client can't connect either.
I know in Ie options there a radio button which sayes dial a connection if one isn't present. But because there's no modem on the other comp, this option can't be selected. Anyway I know it doesn't work. So is there a way to enable the other comp to dial a connection if one isn't already present?

Yours
Beef.
Old 22-August-2001, 11:13

Hi Beef,

I think (tho I dont know) that the 'gateway' PC (one connected to the modem/internet) just needs to have 'dial on demand' set? Then whenever it sees traffic destined for the 'net it should dial/connect automatically.

Sil
Old 23-August-2001, 01:57
我們被注定

Hi Silver!
Thanks for the advice! But I suppose I should have mentioned this a while ago! I downloaded and installed a remote connect, disconnet utility. So now my boys can access the Internet whether I am connected or not.
If anyones interested in the utility here is the website:-

Yours
Beef.Sorry had to remove the link as, it is no longer valid. I will try to add a new link shortly

Last edited by The Beef; 12-January-2002 at 03:28.
Old 12-January-2002, 04:06
我們被注定

Ok here is the link for the Remote Disconnect Utility I use. It's good and easy to set up.
Obviously it needs to be set up on both computers. But I reckon it's better than windows own one.
I had to upload it to my website as the link that used to in the above post no longer pointed to it!

Remote Disconect Utility for internet connection sharing.

"Thinking about what you might not be able to control, only wastes time and energy, till it eventually becomes your enemy."
Old 31-January-2002, 03:03
我們被注定

Exclamation Important

I have realised that the remote disconnection utility I was reccomending, DOES NOT work without windows ICS utility.
I am sorry for making the mistake. I won't go into details as to how I found out, but thought it was a good idea to mention it here, for others who may view this thread.
So along with the utility I reccomended, ICS must be installed also. In fact install it before you install my reccomended utility.
Sorry for any inconvinience this may have caused.

"Thinking about what you might not be able to control, only wastes time and energy, till it eventually becomes your enemy."
Old 21-February-2002, 12:42
Former TS! Team

Question ICS Problems & Options

This might be a bit long winded, I appologise in advance!
Background:
Ok, I currently have 2 PC's networked together using 2 x 10/100Mb/s PCI cards through a Netgear DS108 hub.
I am not behind a firewall or Proxy server etc etc.

Issue/Option 1
I have NT4 SERVER & Workstation that I would like to install, however NT4 does not support ICS. Can I get round this with a proxy server or some other method which doen't cost me anything.

Issue/Option 2
If the above cannot be implimented can you solve this Windows 2000 problem.
I have set up 1 PC (call it Server) with a Dial up internet connection with ICS sharing enabled so that the 2nd PC can connect to the internet and run THINK (Cancer research - On Team Scream!) so that they both can churn out those WU's.

However, the 2nd PC cannot connect to the net through the server what ever I try!

=========
NT4 is my prefered method if possible however I do not want to reinstall think yet again!

Thanks for your help.
Please feel free to Email me on
Kev@Kev-Emma.Co.Uk

Last edited by Memfis; 21-February-2002 at 14:23.
Old 21-February-2002, 12:58

Hi Kev (welcome to the TS! ud team btw )

Both options can work for sure

2nd option first, make sure that the 2nd PC (the one not directly connected to the 'net) has it's gateway setup to point to the 'server' (/gateway pc connected to the 'net).

1st option, yeah no probs, so long as both pc's "see" each other, i.e. you can ping them, one from another, then a proxy running on the 'server/gateway' is a good option (I prefer a proxy in some ways to ICS, though proxies aren't much help if you want to play games on the internet from the non-directly connected PC).

There's many free proxies incl
http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...work/proxy.htm
which is meant to be ok - perhaps others can suggest other free proxies.

I use an old copy of winproxy (I don't like the newer versions).

Sil

PS, have sent you a PM with some other ideas
Old 21-February-2002, 13:04

Some other threads which talk abt ICS / proxies

Interet Sharing
and
Networking two computers

Sil
Old 28-February-2002, 13:58
Former TS! Team

Default Nightmare

Ok, with reference to my previous post, it all gone tits up.

I uninstalled Windows 2000 and installed NT4 Server.

This all went well until I came to accessing my second HDD for all my drivers & software, Which I have not backed up yet (Big Mistake :Grin: ). I cannot acces this drive any longer any1 know why?
Do I have to reinstall 2000 to get acces to this drive?

As soon as I get this sorted I will be churning out those UD WU's.
Old 28-February-2002, 20:07
Screamager

When you say you cannot access it, can you elaborate?

I take it the second HDD is either slave or on another bus?
Is it just a simple MoBo driver issue? Check your Dev Man.

'Slo
Old 01-March-2002, 10:11

If the drive was formatted using NTFS under Win2k then you will need at least service pack 4 for NT 4 to be able to read it.

If the drive was formatted using FAT32 under win2k then you will need to boot using a win98 boot disk to be able to access it, Win NT 4 does not support accessing FAT32 partitions.

The only other way round a FAT32 partition is to convert it to NTFS using an install of Win2k, you will then be able to access it using NT 4 >SP4.

Win98 boot disks available at http://www.bootdisk.com
Old 06-March-2002, 13:38
Former TS! Team

Default HDD

I gave up with the drives & re-formatted them.

Everything's humming along nicely.

I've lost whatever was on that drive, but may have some of it on zip disk, however NT4 doesn't support usb!
This is driving me nuts.

Anyway I'm on my way up those ranking's, although it'll take me a few years to catch some of you guys up!

Now where did I put that 286?
Old 06-March-2002, 23:05

Sometimes a re-format is the easiest way

Welcome back to the crunching

Sil

Tags
cable, cards, computer, connection, email, failure, files, free, hdd, home, hub, internet, lights, lost, make, modem, netgear, network, orange, share, sharing, software, talk, web, windows