Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > AOL

Old 09-September-2005, 22:37
dgezza

Default Re: A word of warning: Don't buy AOL.

Im same as most people here, i think its realiable and easy to use. I lady at work (not very good with pcs) want to get on the internet and was going to call bt but i recommended calling aol, she just wants basic package. I reckon Aol basic package is easier for a new user than any other.
Old 10-September-2005, 09:21
Scrimper

Im same as most people here, i think its realiable and easy to use. I lady at work (not very good with pcs) want to get on the internet and was going to call bt but i recommended calling aol, she just wants basic package. I reckon Aol basic package is easier for a new user than any other.
Originally Posted by dgezza
I agree, anyone with the know-how to do anything on a PC should find it easy to install AOl. TBF most of the people who complain about Aol have never used it and if they find it impossible to remove Aol once installed it just shows their inability to use uninstall or system restore!
A part dropped from the workbench will roll to a degree of un-reachability proportional to its importance.
Old 10-September-2005, 23:37
simon1975

starting to lose faith in aol, but then again, i dont know anyone who is happy with their ISP!
Old 28-September-2005, 22:30
Life in the Farce Lane

Oh dear, AOL are to give out £5 to 20,000 customers who suffered problems via an upgrade.

So not just me who's seen it then????
Old 30-May-2006, 08:08
Drewxs

As long I could use a router and if I could make sure I didn't have to use an AOL email address or browser then yeah I'd give it a go.
Originally Posted by StuC
With broadband you dont 'need' a router, though it can be far better. If you set up right you can avoid aol software allmost completely.

All i had running was the AOL dialer, i used MS IE beta as the browser, trillian for chat (aol,msn,yahoo,icq) i allso used outlook express for aol and hotmail emails :-) plus spam catcher. And that was with the BT voyager 105 on silver.
Old 04-June-2006, 11:09
Mark unplugged

I must have aged 20 years during the dark days of problems caused by the BT 105 voyager modem.... and aol weren't much help.
However, since going over to a router, and having BT engineer out (who found an internal phone line connection *wrong*) I've had no problems... the line has dropped once or twice in 6 months.

What is strange is occaisionally the IE says 'page isn't available offline' asks if I want to connect, I click yes, it then gives me a dial up screen.
Huh?
So i either go on aol and sign in like the old days, no probs, or restart PC, seems to fix it.
Any ideas?

Other than that, aol as the ISP is fine. I just use silver and things d/l at an ok rate.
Old 04-June-2006, 11:35
Zer02004

Set IE to "Never Dial A Connection" rather than "Dial Whenever A Network Connection Is Not Present".
Old 13-July-2006, 02:47
Mark unplugged

Smile Re: A word of warning: Don't buy AOL.

Set IE to "Never Dial A Connection" rather than "Dial Whenever A Network Connection Is Not Present".
Originally Posted by Zer02004
Yep, that seems to have worked!
It's been a month now and not done it since.
Cheers mate.
Old 28-July-2006, 23:08
zenos

Lol my mums been with Aol since 2000 i think and there services has Goten WORSE or the last 2years

broadband was a arss the et up where we lived
not my mums got the new wireless router and i bourght a Belkin Reciver so i can get net upstairs Installed fine worked fine till i turned the comp off lost the network to the router reciver was still working but no network
aol fixed it
it did it again the next day

i do play guildwars online but that won't effect it at all!

heres the thing on the laptop downstairs the networkwas still there and the reciver was still working so WTF is going on (aol didn't help at all on any of the majour problems and just told me what i already done e.g reinstall Aol and the recvier but Even thats not working its so buggered up this is a PRO TECHIES JOB NOW)

back in 2001 i did play Unreal tournment online worked BETTER than this stupid wireless the networks Man

if u got any ideas of how to fix this problem Properly or fix it for good
Old 29-August-2006, 15:05
vito

Wink Re: A word of warning: Don't buy AOL.

I agree. Aol r rubbish. Just changed over to pipex and i think they r infinitely better. I'm getting much quicker connection speeds than I ever got wit aol.
Old 29-August-2006, 15:14
Zer02004

Can I ask if you've changed to Pipex Internet or Pipex Homecall? PH have been masquerading as PI lately and many customers have been conned.
Out of interest, if it was Pipex Internet, which package did you go for?
Old 29-August-2006, 18:15
pfergy

Just reading a few of the post’s I think I might as well have my say .I’ve been with AOL since the mid 90,s originally on dial up, then on 512k ADSL .I have found that on a number of occasions that I lost the sync for the ADSL signal my hardware was to blame . By the way the 105 went straight in the bin when it arrived. And I have run various modem router combinations since then, eventually ending up with a linksys wag 54 g (excellent wireless router) I also noticed a number of post complaining about losing the networking function, but as far as I am aware the network setup has nothing to do with AOL and everything to do with the computers own network setup as windows allocates the dhcp etc when no router is present to do the same. I also unfortunately knew when moving house that I am basically at the end of the line and at the max limit for 512k ADSL ,but when I informed Aol they reduced my monthly fee to £ 9.99. So at the end of the day I consider AOL to be Ok, but I understand not every body is happy, but people should really look at there own computer set up before blaming AOL
Old 01-September-2006, 11:17
vito

It was the PIPEX Start package from the genuine pipex zero, got it from here http://www.moneysupermarket.com/broadband/ I've never heard of pipex homecall?
Old 13-September-2006, 01:13
ormus55

i had a problem a while ago with my aol silver connection, it turns out that it was bt fault. there was a major problem in the area with some switchgear boxes.

after much shouting at aol, they offered me the gold service for 19.99 and a free wireless router. they also gave me a free month for the loss of service.

apart from that 3 day problem (which was a bt fault) aol silver has been just fine.

ps.
im still on the silver 1 meg service. didnt like the idea of a new 12 month contract just now.
Old 24-October-2006, 11:25
sway

Angry Re: A word of warning: Don't buy AOL.

i just got aol broadband silver in july , i applied for the £14.99 a month with a free wireless router, AOL messed up my order, put me through for silver at £9.99 a month with no router, didnt think to inform me about it so when i go and ask when will my router arrive they tell me im not getting one but if i want i can pay £25 and get a router, if so just phone and order it.
so i phone to order it and lo and behold they wont give me a router for £25 or any other price, if i want a router i have to change my package!!! Which ****es me off because it was THERE mistake in the first place and them that told me i could buy one.. like yeah really im going to go from £9.99 a month to £14.99 a month? i dont think so
Nothing but problems with aol just now, my friends email ending up in the spam folder, my buddy list disapearing,the software erroring and telling me to reinstall etc and those indian call centres... well fat lot of use they are when they cant understand a word you say or you understand them!
My daughters account, she cant even use msn messenger because of parent controls, she has to have an over 18's account to use it and she is only 8!
Surely it is time to stop aol taking over your pc. it is your pc, up to you what you do and what you install, aol simply provide a conection for you to access the web, what right do they have to "spy" and control you
And did you know, if you have problems and they ask you to send an error report it contains all your emails and whats in them?
I know this because they asked me to send one, but me being nosey read it first, did i hell send it to them, i modified it first and told them i was doing so.
Never had any problems on aol dial up.
Anyway rant over, but i hate aol
Old 24-October-2006, 13:17
Scrimper

i just got aol broadband silver in july , i applied for the £14.99 a month with a free wireless router, AOL messed up my order, put me through for silver at £9.99 a month with no router, didnt think to inform me about it so when i go and ask when will my router arrive they tell me im not getting one but if i want i can pay £25 and get a router, if so just phone and order it.
so i phone to order it and lo and behold they wont give me a router for £25 or any other price, if i want a router i have to change my package!!! Which ****es me off because it was THERE mistake in the first place and them that told me i could buy one.. like yeah really im going to go from £9.99 a month to £14.99 a month? i dont think so
Nothing but problems with aol just now, my friends email ending up in the spam folder, my buddy list disapearing,the software erroring and telling me to reinstall etc and those indian call centres... well fat lot of use they are when they cant understand a word you say or you understand them!
My daughters account, she cant even use msn messenger because of parent controls, she has to have an over 18's account to use it and she is only 8!
Surely it is time to stop aol taking over your pc. it is your pc, up to you what you do and what you install, aol simply provide a conection for you to access the web, what right do they have to "spy" and control you
And did you know, if you have problems and they ask you to send an error report it contains all your emails and whats in them?
I know this because they asked me to send one, but me being nosey read it first, did i hell send it to them, i modified it first and told them i was doing so.
Never had any problems on aol dial up.
Anyway rant over, but i hate aol
Originally Posted by sway View Post
My God some people are never happy! Aol unlimited Silver for £9.99 is a pretty damn good deal IMHO even if they did not send you a router, spare a thought for some of us stuck on Aol Gold contracts at £19.99 PM and only getting a Silver speed ie 1meg!

I would willingly swap with you TBH, I would be really happy to get 1meg unlimited for £9.99 and I don't see where you will get another uncapped service for £9.99 TBH!
A part dropped from the workbench will roll to a degree of un-reachability proportional to its importance.
Old 24-October-2006, 15:56
Sway

It is a good deal but that is not the point, it is the principle of the matter and there ability to mess up the simplest of tasks, say one thing do another and generally give people the run around.
Oh and i dont get 1mb my exchange is not upgraded, im on 256k speeds, and if your only getting silver speeds(1mb) then why dont you change your package instead of paying more?
Old 24-October-2006, 19:30
我們被注定

Thought this thread was a warning for Carphonewarehouse
Ahem sorry

"Thinking about what you might not be able to control, only wastes time and energy, till it eventually becomes your enemy."
Old 24-October-2006, 22:20
Scrimper

and if your only getting silver speeds(1mb) then why dont you change your package instead of paying more?
Originally Posted by Sway View Post
Err, Like I said I am on contract and therefore have little clout with Aol!
Old 02-November-2006, 21:20
ardnutt

Err, Like I said I am on contract and therefore have little clout with Aol!
Originally Posted by druid View Post
Makes no difference, I was sold Platnium, even tho my line speed was only capable of Gold speeds. Once I worked this out.. (Took a while, Im not the brightest button!!) I was re-instated on the gold package and refunded the difference! Having been with AOL since 1998, Im pretty good at knowing how to work them..
Simple rule of thumb with aol.. louder you scream, the better deal you get.. anyone beat getting aol platnium at £9.99?? Mind you I was told to keep that quiet.. Tho price does not excuse poor service.. But while your stuck with them.... FIGHT THEM! If you decided to just change your payment card number.. not that I would EVER condone this... it costs them more chasing you than knocking a couple of quid off the bill. It works, trust me.
Old 02-November-2006, 22:52
Rennie

plat for £9.99 or £19.99 good luck m8 tried the 19.99 ive gone back on gold even though i new someone had it for that and tried my luck but i stil aint bin able get it cheaper than 25 oh well some peeps luckier than others
on the plus side ive stil got upstream of 448 kbps
Old 05-November-2006, 17:16
AOL Sux

Another reason to avoid them is they are moving all Tech Support to India in January 2007.

So if you don't like the Indian callcentres then tough cause AOL are doing it to save money.
Old 05-November-2006, 23:04
plasticman

"Another reason to avoid them is they are moving all Tech Support to India in January 2007.

So if you don't like the Indian callcentres then tough cause AOL are doing it to save money."

I would love to know where you are getting this information from as it couldn't be more wrong
Old 25-November-2006, 10:04
AOL hater

I would love to know where you are getting this information from as it couldn't be more wrong
Originally Posted by plasticman View Post

Well I heard the same thing from a tech guy at PC world and also from two members on the message board. Every time I ever ring AOL its only india I get. How can you say it couldn't be more wrong? Could you substantiate your comment?
Old 29-November-2006, 11:15
Scrimper

Well I heard the same thing from a tech guy at PC world
Originally Posted by AOL hater View Post
Lol well in that case it must be true! I would not trust the word of a tech at PCW if they told me the time whilst listening to the speaking clock, these are the people whose method of removing a virus is to reformat the HD thereby wiping all the users data leaving them worse off than when they had a virus!

From what I have heard the story that all Tech support moving to India is not substantiated at all!

TBH any comments from someone using the name AOLhater or AOLsux might just be a tiny weenie bit biased!
Old 12-February-2007, 15:09
annoyed geordie

Thumbs down Re: A word of warning: Don't buy AOL.

Since carephone warehouse took over the aol connection last week our broadband speed dropped dramatically (worse than dial up). We rang aol, was told to do the usual 6 steps (ie, empty temp internet files, cookies, reinstall aol dialer etc) even though we'd told the tech help chappie that we'd already done that. His next advice was to uninstall aol completely as it was a problem with the software (strange that the same software problem appeared on all 4 of our pc's at the same time. When that didn't work their advice was to do a system restore (on all 4 pc's again). Still nothing was working, the tech help chappie just give up, our bt line tested ok, everything tested ok at aol's side, but yet our broadband was of a speed slower than dial up. Due to the lack of support from aol we decided to change to bt internet, asked aol for a mac code and was told it would be emailed out within 48 hours. A few hours later I received an email saying our request for a mac code had been refused as our account had been cancelled, which is not what we asked for. We've now been told we'll have to wait until aol decide to get their backsides off their seats and remove the broadband service off our line before we can sign up with another isp, so far it's been 5 days and no sign of broadband being taken off our line. I've always defended aol in the past, even recommended it to friends, but now after suffering the same kind problems as many others have trying to get rid of aol I wouldn't recommend the service to anyone.
Old 14-February-2007, 17:36
the truth

"Another reason to avoid them is they are moving all Tech Support to India in January 2007.

So if you don't like the Indian callcentres then tough cause AOL are doing it to save money."

Originally Posted by plasticman View Post
Actually, this is correct. AoL HAVE transferred their call centres out of the UK
Old 18-February-2007, 16:52
jockwav

Thumbs up Re: A word of warning: Don't buy AOL.

At the moment i am with pipex,wich expires in may,cant wait.
I was with aol years ago and i am thinking of going back there,i dont know if anyone has read this.
Broadband: Switching Provider Is Now Easier

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last updated: 14 February 2007 16:18:00 GMT
From today, switching broadband providers will be made easier as new rules come into force.

The new rules, being introduced by Ofcom, will prevent broadband providers from charging for Migration Authorisation Codes (MAC).

Under the new rules, providers will also be required to provide a MAC code within five days of being asked for them.

Up until today, many providers have either not supplied MAC codes or charged a fee. This has been a barrier to people switching providers. In some cases switching providers has meant cancelling service with one provider and then waiting up to 2 weeks for the line to "clear" before being able to take a new provider.

Now, it should be possible for customers to switch broadband providers as easy as switching other utilities in their homes.

As of today, Ofcom is recommending that consumers remind broadband providers of their obligations (should it be required). Breaching the new rules can result in broadband providers being fined up to 10% of their turnover.

Switching broadband provider can give many consumers a better and faster service as well as saving money.

More information at: http://www.broadband-help.com/providers/switch/
Old 03-May-2007, 18:14
scott_o_dotto

I've had AOL for years and the only problem ive had is when i tryed to network a few computers together.
Old 13-May-2007, 14:31
lord g

i was with aol for over 5 years and why i moved thats another story went to toucan broadband even more worse for customer service if you go to aol you may as well go to talktalk as cpw own both companies cant say what talktalk is like i have never used them iam now with bt and found them ok so far

Tags
aol, belkin, broadband, bt, connection, email, files, free, happy, internet, isp, laptop, line, lost, make, messenger, music, network, online, phone, router, software, speaking clock, speed, speeds, talk, talktalk, virus, web, wireless