Old 14-March-2007, 17:14
Kurg

Default "Be" Broadband (ADSL2+)?

I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about this lot - just wondering what anybody's experience of them is

Have been on AOL silver for a while now but our line doesn't support 1MB or 2MB specifically, only 512k and MAX, so we're paying a lot for speed we can't use - I'm thinking of changing over to Be Broadband's ADSL2+ service which is now available in my area

up to 24mb sounds great for 24 a month, though we are pretty much at the limit of the 5km range, which would mean we'd never get anywhere near 24mb, but presumably somewhere in the 10mb region should be achievable. This is still good for 24 a month, considering the only other option for such speeds is Virgin Media who charge 35 for their 10mb connection.

But obviously if anybody has any horror stories it might make me think twice about them
Old 19-March-2007, 17:24
jazzman

Default Re: "Be" Broadband (ADSL2+)?

Be is great for those with short low resistance BT lines. I get about 16Mbps download, 1.2Mbps upload on a 1km phoneline. I suggest you enter your phone-number into their site at www.bethere.co.uk to see if your exchange is unbundled and near enough. Be only use ADSL2+ and do not accept orders where the chance of good speeds is low.
Old 02-April-2007, 12:20
Olozzj

They're also behind the customer with the fastest commercial internet speed in the uk - he got 23.4 meg download speed in an online test, which i i think is amazing.
Old 04-April-2007, 23:42
Kurg

As I say my local exchange is ADSL2+ enabled, but we're pretty much at the raggedy edge (roughly 5km from it) so I certainly wouldn't expect anywhere near 24mb (oreven 16 really).

I guess at least nobody has come in saying that they suck
Old 08-April-2007, 21:46
Olozzj

I know of a few people up here in the north-east who are with Be and they say the service is as poor as. One of them said they get better speeds through their neighbours' wireless network, who only has an 8 meg Tiscali connection! However, i also know another guy who claims his service is lightening fast and pages load instantly.

Like with all ISP's, it depends on your location as to how good the service is.
Old 15-October-2007, 15:13
SuntoryBoss

I've been with Be for a few months now, and don't have a bad word to say about them. They do lots of natty stuff like keeping you updated via text as to what is going on with line installation, and the one time I had to ring customer support (not a problem with their service, just a query, albeit a technical one) they knew exactly what they were talking about. I get something like 21meg download, 1meg upload; it's also properly unmetered as well, despite being a heavy user I've had no restrictions at all place on it my usage. They even gave me a "free days surfing" (ie knocked 1/30ths off that months bill) for my b'day!

A friend raised problems over trying to leave them; apparently not as easy as it c/should be. But personally my experience has so far been 100% positive.
Old 13-January-2008, 16:29
yelliat

24/7 UK based customer services, can't complain.
Old 16-January-2008, 15:17
Olozzj

But many (decent) ISP's have dedicated UK support.
Old 21-January-2008, 13:41
michty_me

With the ADSL2+ I think quite a lot of the companies generally dont take on customers with long lines. Do be not do an adsl1 LLU service? If not what about Easynet LLU?
Old 21-January-2008, 16:41
Olozzj

Easynet, now part of Sky, can be slightly over-subscribed in certain locations. Nevertheless, most people still get more than decent speeds.

One tends to hear mixed reviews regarding Be; some people say it's fantastic in every way possible, yet others say speeds and customer support is great.
Old 21-January-2008, 16:45
michty_me

Yeah iv heard that sky are refusing to take on more customers on LLU on certain areas just because there are no more available places. Best check that one out too. Seemingly though if it is full at your exchange they may put in more equipment if the demand is there.
Old 21-January-2008, 16:53
Olozzj

Seemingly though if it is full at your exchange they may put in more equipment if the demand is there.
Originally Posted by michty_me View Post
It's not usually equipment that's lacking - it's connectivity to their fibre network. For example, say your exchange subscribes 4,000 8 meg subscribers and Easynet only have 55 meg of connectivity - you ain't gonna be going anywhere fast. Sometimes the only way to increase connectivity without causing too much disruption to the service is to increase the speed of the fibre (which in some cases is not possible) or to add more fibre lines (which in most cases is not possible).
Old 21-January-2008, 17:13
michty_me

Ah ok. Well glad thats clearer now. Cheers. Anyway. Still better on LLU (Some of the LLU companies) than BT's IP network I feel.
Old 21-January-2008, 18:20
Olozzj

Still better on LLU (Some of the LLU companies) than BT's IP network I feel.
lol. In most cases this is entirely correct. The increases in speed compared to BT's colossus network is the fact that LLU networks aren't ususally as congested as BT's. However, some networks such as, for example Opal, are much more congested at peak times, so therefore you may experience slower speeds than BT.

It must be noted, though, that all ISP's will use BT's network at some point during the routing of traffic.
Old 21-January-2008, 23:49
michty_me

Yeah agreed. Not heard very good things about talktalk, AOL or tiscalli LLU. Wonder why?!
Old 22-January-2008, 14:30
Olozzj

Not heard very good things about talktalk, AOL or tiscalli LLU. Wonder why?!
Old 23-January-2008, 02:19
woad

At 5km you wont get anything like 8mb either... ADSL2 performance tends to drop off very sharply after 1.6km, and the distance/drop off ratio is even sharper than ADSL. ADSL2+ has a slighter longer reach, but on both the speed at >4km the bandwidth drops down to 2mb and below (you can easily check the exact distance/bandwidth on various sites.

Also, you may need to upgrade your router (or router firmware) to ensure it can talk to an ADSL2 signal (of whaetevr annexe flavour)
Old 23-January-2008, 16:18
michty_me

Yeah if you check out this graph you will get a pretty good estimate.

http://www.dontbethere.co.uk/forum/d...spx?f=2&m=3875

When you switch over to ADSL2+ your attenuation goes up slightly too.

Last edited by michty_me; 23-January-2008 at 16:21. Reason: adding content

Tags
adsl, adsl2, aol, bad, broadband, bt, bundled, connection, free, internet, isp, line, make, nat, network, online, reviews, sky, speed, speeds, talk, talktalk, tiscali, virgin, wireless