Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Broadband Internet Access

Old 27-September-2007, 12:32
nousername

Default 15kbps downloads, 240kbps uploads on Tiscali 1mb connection

If anyone has come across the same problem i'd really appreciate your input here. About 4 days ago my 1meg broadband connection suddenly slowed right down to about 20kbps (download). My upload speed is normal (240kbps). Download speed is still around 20-50kbps since then. I phoned Tiscali several times and they reckon they can 'see' that i'm actually connected at 1.15mbps. I have tried everything to prove that it is nothing to with my end - tried a different laptop, checked for viruses and other bugs then disabled all firewalls and antivirus etc, deleted all cookies and temp files, used two different standalone modems (i normally use wireless but i've proved that there is no problem with that), plugged in directly to the main BT socket with/without a filter, changed all cables...trust me i've tried everything. Phonecalls through the same line work perfectly, and because of this Tiscali tell me there can be no problem with my line for broadband. I have been doing speed checks via Tiscali's own speed checker and the one on the thinkbroadband site; the results either hang or come back as some ridiculously slow speed. Any suggestions before I blow a fuse?
Old 27-September-2007, 13:50
fastnfunky

Default Re: 15kbps downloads, 240kbps uploads on Tiscali 1mb connection

This may sound strange but press Alt-Ctrl-Del check your cpu speed if its runnin g speed its its near 50% then you have a virus on there. I had it with mine a few months back. That slowed the connection right down.
Old 27-September-2007, 14:11
nousername

Nup, both laptops idling with about 96% spare power.
Old 27-September-2007, 15:07
Optimistic Curmudgeon

One final check. Have you tried the BT 'test' socket, the one hidden under the lower half of the master socket faceplate ?
Old 27-September-2007, 15:27
nousername

Yes, checked that also directly connected with a non wireless modem.

Seems strange to me that telephone calls have no problems whatsoever whilst the internet is affected. I know very little about what happens at the exchange - is it possible that during maintenance something could affect the broadband whilst leaving the telephone calls unchanged?
Old 27-September-2007, 20:16
Olozzj

I'm guessing that you're using a Peer-2-Peer program to download content.

Have you checked that the correct ports are opened to your client?

Have you / do you know how to check your line statistics?

Also, you may not have given this a thought, but Tiscali may be capping / throttling your connection to save them money and / or bandwidth.

Tags
broadband, bt, connection, files, internet, laptop, line, master socket, modem, sound, speed, tiscali, virus, wireless