Old 09-July-2008, 10:10
canta

Default Huge Moth I Rescued

I rescued this from the cats yesterday. I was scared to pick it up at first, as I've never seen anything like it, and it occurred to me it might not like being picked up. As it seemed in some distress, I grabbed the quick shot, hence the main reason for the blurred picture. But you can get some idea of its huge size by comparing it with the 2p coin on my hand. I later researched the creature and found it is a privet hawk moth, which is fairly common at this time of year. Wingspan of my moth is 4" (folded) so while flying, it would be absolutely huge! The 2nd picture is another view of a privet hawk moth, but this is not my picture.

Last edited by canta; 09-July-2008 at 10:16.
Old 09-July-2008, 11:42
Screamager

Default Re: Huge Moth I Rescued

Great photo. Your cats have got some nerve. I wouldn't put that thing anywhere near my mouth!
Old 09-July-2008, 12:49
tattaloop

Default Re: Huge Moth I Rescued

Utterly astonishing. What a pic! Lucky you had your camera. Lucky the creature didn't fly off before you pressed the button.

I rescued a dragonfly from Sasha (her image is displayed here) but did not think of snapping it.

You have the mind and eye of a journalist and a naturalist. You must be related to Darwin and Capra