Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > General Software

Old 24-May-2010, 18:30
Screamager

Default Re: Sound only on AVI video clips on ZoomBrowser?

Sorry our postings crossed.....
You asked:
Post back what player opens an avi file when you double click on it, not Open With etc, just plain old Double click on it.

The answer It opens in Quick Time
So does that mean the check maybe doesn't have to stay there - it's just something you do to choose a highlighted player and if you go back to it it will not be checked?
Old 24-May-2010, 18:55
Screamager

Hiya.

The tick will not be there next time, but the file association for a certain file is stored/located in another area once it has been confirmed. It is missing so you can choose again whatever program to associate with that file, otherwise you would have to go too too techno to change it, heha.

So QT is associated with avi files and doesnt play the actual video, just the audio.

So right click on an avi file and select Open with > Choose Program then select Media Player Classic from the list, tick the Always open with............. box, OK it.

Open ZB and play an avi file.

Post back results.
Old 24-May-2010, 21:04
Screamager

OK Johnny - I now understand that. I am just techno-thicky!
So to carry out your instructions - if I choose program as Media Player Classic on an avi file it plays successfully in Classic in IE but if I open Zoom Browser and click the same avi I get it in sound only. It's difficult to say what player it is but it is the usual one for ZB - definitely not Media Player Classic.
Next if in IE I click the file and choose the 'always' prog as Windows Media Player it plays
sound and vision properly.
If I then go to Zoom Browser and click the same avi file it does NOT open it in Windows Media Player but in the usual Zoom player again without sound.
So this seems to indicate that changing the 'always' button makes no difference to what happens in Zoom Browser - it doesn't seem to affect the player used.
It gets even more complicvated if I choose a .mov file to designate 'always' with a set player but rather than frighten you off I guess that will be enough for you now to use to cultivate a headache. I certainly have one!
Thanks
Dave
Old 25-May-2010, 10:08
Screamager

Hiya.

You are at the exact same point I reached, whereby the change of player made no difference in ZB, it would open QT no matter what player I chose, hence why I uninstalled QT and set KMPLayer as the avi player. ZB played avi's through KMPlayer with no problems at all.

It seems that QT is trying to take full charge in ZB for some reason, of which I have no real idea why.

It's difficult to say what player it is but it is the usual one for ZB - definitely not Media Player Classic.
When that player is open, just click on the Help tab at the top of the player and select About. That will tell you the player name and it will most certainly be QT. Its an ugly thing and light grey in colour, heha.

By all intents and purposes, the 3ivx codec should have fixed the video problem in QT, it certainly did in mine, although I had no sound or video to start with and I still had no sound afterwards, lol and no matter what audio codec I tried to assign, it made no difference.

We seem to be going round in circles, lol.

Suggest uninstalling QT again, assign Classic Media Player to avi files, fire up ZB and play an avi file, post back results. Gulp!
Old 25-May-2010, 10:29
Screamager

Re identifying which player it is in ZB...
When I open the player - ie click on a file and let the sound only run, and ho to 'help' it opens simply to Viewer Help F1. And when I click on that I get this kind of stuff
"Using the Viewer Window

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ZoomBrowser EX displays image thumbnails rather than actual images in the Browser Window. However, you can display the actual image in the Viewer Window. You can also edit the image, compare multiple images, and apply other options such as star rating and protection. Note that when the image is larger than the Viewer Window area, the Navigator displays.

To open an image in the Viewer Window
In the Browser Window, select the image you want.

On the ZoomBrowser EX main toolbar, click View Image. You can also double–click the image in the Browser Window, or right–click on the image and click View Image.

Viewer Window toolbar
Classify Images Use star rating

Edit Images Adjust color and brightness of an image
Apply Sharpen and Unsharp Mask
Etc Etc"

I like your idea of using this KMPlayer - maybe you could send a download link? - but will that also play .mov?

I guess my pal won't be able to download his vids here because his camera seems QT based.

And aren't there lots of things on the web that require QT?

But I guess the main thing is to get ZB working again as normal.

Are you saying that with KMPlayer you can perform other ZB functions like creating a still frame etc - or does it merely open the player in a new window?

Toothache today - sorry not very together...thanks
Dave
Old 25-May-2010, 12:03
Screamager

Hiya.

When I said "When that player is open" I meant the avi player not ZB, you are looking at the ZB menu's not the avi player menu's. You are looking at the wrong help menu.

When you view an avi in ZB, you click on the Launch External Player... button and it opens the video player, that is the one I am on about.

Under Help > About on the video player, not ZB, it will say there what the video Player is.

KMPlayer is not like ZB, as in picture editor, it is just a video player/picture viewer from what I can tell.

My aim at the moment is to try and get at least one video player fully working in ZB. That is why I want you to uninstall QT and assign avi files to Classic Media Player, then play an avi file in ZB again and see if both audio and video works as it should in the new video player. Without QT installed the CMPlayer should play that avi file.

QT could hopefully then be re-installed later and NOT assigned to Avi files. It seems QT wants to dominate every media file, which I find infuriating if I assign my personal choice of video player/other.
Old 25-May-2010, 15:57
Screamager

Hi Johnny
I think there's some confusion here so I'll post your last letter and comment as we go.

"Hiya.

When I said "*When that player is open*" I meant the avi player not ZB, you are looking at the ZB menu's not the avi player menu's. You are looking at the wrong help menu.

When you view an avi in ZB, you click on the *Launch External Player...* button and it opens the video player, that is the one I am on about."

D Always up until now with avi files, ZB has played directly - NOT with another player window with Launch External Player at the base of the window. It so happens I get that now with these new (to me) .mov files when ZB does just as you say - it opens another player with Launch etc at the bottom.
The identity of this player depends on what I have earlier specified for mov files - Classic,WMP or QT.

But to reiterate - regardless of what I specify in Open As on an avi file, ZB always opens its own player (it may be QT but as I said I don't know how to tell) but it plays without a picture.

I hope you understand when I say it opens its own player. I mean you double click on the movie thumbnail and the movie screen opens directly - not one screen on top of another. When ZB worked properly this was once the movie playing - now it's the sound playing and a blank black screen.

Under *Help > About* on the *video player*, not ZB, it will say there what the video Player is.

D Yes I realise this but as explained above I don't - except with mov files - get the player where help identifies the player.

KMPlayer is not like ZB, as in picture editor, it is just a video player/picture viewer from what I can tell.

D I think I understand - maybe you can send a download link for it?

My aim at the moment is to try and get at least one video player fully working in ZB.

D I realise that Johnny. But in view of what you say above - would the ZB create a still frame from a movie etc facilities still work. In a sense these are more important to me than just having a movie play - especially when i can play it anyway in IE.

I suppose all I am seeking is for ZB to work as it once did and presumably is designed to do.

That is why I want you to uninstall QT and assign avi files to Classic Media Player, then play an avi file in ZB again and see if both audio and video works as it should in the new video player. Without QT installed the KMPlayer should play that avi file.

D I understand that - just a bit reluctant to uninstall QT after trying so hard to get it to work and now I have. Unfortunately as you say it seems to take over.

QT could hopefully then be re-installed later and NOT assigned to Avi files. It seems QT wants to dominate every media file, which I find infuriating if I assign my personal choice of video player/other.

D Thanks Johnny.
Can I just explore one other avenue before going down this suggested route?
I'm probably talking crap but is it possible that my ZB has developed some fault itself? What if I ditched ZB and then downloaded a new version or maybe the same one I have now - I think it's 5.7.
Is it feasible that my vision would return to the movies? Just a thought...
Not thinking clearly at moment - bad toothache. Emergency dentist tomorrow..

Thanks Johnny
Dave
Old 25-May-2010, 19:28
Screamager

Hi Dave.

I have just found out something strange about ZB.

My PC runs Win2k and ZB asks each time to launch an external player to watch an avi file.

Now the qwerk, I just installed ZB on our spare XP machine, then I installed QT. I dis-associated avi files from the player on there which is GOM Player.

I went to QT preferences > File Types and then clicked on the + sign next to Video, in the sub list I ticked the entry for Video for Windows (AVI) clicked Apply and OK'd out. All avi files now show the QT icon on them.

Fired up ZB, selected an avi and it opened a completely different window to what I had seen on my Win2k PC, so this is where a lot of confusion has come from for me and my explanations to you, trying to solve the problem, DUH!

Now the avi had sound but no video So I went and downloaded a Codec pack, installed it, then it said it has an update, downloaded the update and all was finally installed.

Opened ZB again, selected the same avi file, it opens in a ZB Viewer window that I had not seen in Win2k before, lo and behold I had sound and no video << I lied here, heha I had sound and video.

So, was it just a video codec after all which I said in one of my first replies that may be missing, Win2k being an a$$, or just me being stoopid, heha

Anyway, I will post the codec pack URL's below, first one will be the Mega pack, then the update.

http://www.free-codecs.com/k_lite_me...k_download.htm << Just click on the first Download site and save to the desktop or wherever, its about 24mb.

http://www.codecguide.com/klcp_update.htm << Update, click on the first mirror and save to same place as the Mega pack, this is only about 6mb. When you click on the mirror link, it will open another window, the download is on the right in blue, called Download Now (6,840kb)

Install the mega pack, you will come to a section in the install where you can choose different items to install. I unchecked the first box for all the Classic Media Player entries and also the Real Player entry further down, as I didnt need them really, I didnt touch anything else, then I clicked next and finally clicked the finish button, dont bother with the 3 configurations offered on the final page, just click finish.

OK, now install the update, just click next or whatever and install everything till its finished.

Now for the BIG test, assuming your avi files are associated with QT, open ZB and play and avi file. See how that goes.

Last edited by JohnnyReb51; 25-May-2010 at 19:36.
Old 25-May-2010, 23:04
Screamager

Hi Johnny
Are you sure those coidec downloads are safe?
When I tried to download the first one a Windows warning came up saying Windows had blocked some aspects because they were dangerous. I overrided it and downloaded anyway.
Then I downloaded the update.
But when I came to install the first one I got the bleep thing open at the top of the page saying dodgy file but I hit the download anyway button.
Then Kaspersky came up with a big warning saying the file was dangerous.
So I didn't install - got the wind up.
What do you think?
Old 25-May-2010, 23:07
Screamager

I keep meaning to ask two things....
Because it's so difficult sometimes for me to explain what's happening on my computer isn't there some remote control system whereby you can take over my PC?
I mean how trusting can I get?!
Failing this is it against the rules for me to phone you or you phone me to talk me through adjustments?
I am happy for that if you are.
Dave
Old 27-May-2010, 13:26
Screamager

Hiya.

Your explanations are fine, I can understand 99% of what you are saying, the 1% is when something doesnt tally up to what I dont see on my PC that is on yours.

I dont know what the hell is happening here, lol.

I had nothing like you have when I downloaded them both, I have scanned the 2 files and the PC with several different security programs and nothing showed up. And I am sure the website it came from would scan all their downloads anyway. A quick search on Google did come up with a few complaining about infections in K-Lite's codec pack. But if anything was amiss on my PC it would have been detected by now.

Anyway, forget those codec packs, I dont want to take the responsibility of something unintensionally going wrong with your PC.

Lets try another codec called ffdshow, download link below. Hopefully this one is OK. It scans OK on my PC. Save the file to the Desktop/whatever and double click on it to start the installer.

I installed this one a while ago, so I cant say/remember what options if any, are available when installing. You may be asked to restart the PC once its finished installing. If not, restart the PC anyway.

http://www.videohelp.com/download/ff...0514_clsid.exe

Then try an avi in ZB.

Sorry, I dont do remote or phone.
Old 27-May-2010, 18:45
Screamager

Default Re: Sound only on AVI video clips on ZoomBrowser? SUCCESS!!!!!

Now Johnny boy - are you sitting comfortably?
Have you any champagne near you - the celebratory kind?
BY GOLLY - YOU'BE BEEN AND GONE AND DONE IT!!!
The avi videos play just as before in the built-in format - sound and vision.
The .mov videos - and I have hardly any of these because they were downloaded by my friend with his new camera thing - play by showing an 'open in another player' sign which plays in Real because I think that's the one last chose as preferred.
So VERY WELL DONE JOHNNY AND TOP MARKS FOR DETERMINATION.
Thanks oh so much.
PS Not quite all good news - you guessed that didn't you.
All the avi movies - not the .mov ones - play with the colours all over the place. A woman's blue dress is yellow and her face looks a weird pinky shade - quite different from the thumbnail reality!
In the spirit of keeping you there for another six weeks - any ideas??
Old 27-May-2010, 22:02
Screamager

Default Re: Sound only on AVI video clips on ZoomBrowser? SUCCESS!!!!!

Hiya.

It's not over until the fat lady sings, and I dont fancy yours, heha.

Well thats some good news but to me dodgy colours aint fixed, lol.

It may be the codec works to a degree, but isnt the correct one, or maybe caused elswhere.

Lets have a look at what Gspot says about the codecs for avi files.

Download this file and unpack/extract it to its own folder.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/GSpot270a.zip

When downloaded and unpacked/extracted, go into the folder and double click the Gspot.exe file to open the interface. Wait a few seconds until it fully loads up

In the interface, on the toolbar, select File > Open, then Browse to one of your avi files, click on it to highlight it and click on the Open button on the bottom right.

Wait till it has finished loading the data.

On the top right under Video, it will say Codec and Name, note down those 2 entries and post them back in your next reply. EG. Codec DX50 Name DivX 5.x/6.x

Now on the bottom left, you will see a heading of Proposed Codec Solutions and Tests.

Just below that heading and to the left, you will see Gspot and 3 sub heading columns, Vid, Aud, MS/AV.

Click on the number 1 under Vid, next click on number 2 under Vid and it will analyse what video codecs are on the PC and which will/should work with that Avi file.

The no-go ones will be in banded White then Pink and will say in the Pink band Failed to connect blah blah, the good one/s will be banded in White then Green and will say in the Green band Video Render OK. Use blah blah.

Look for the Green one/s ( Probably at the bottom of the window ) and look at the White band just above each one, for the name of the codec/s. EG. 3ivx D4 Video Decoder, etc.

If you hover your mouse over the codec name it will change to Yellow, right click on the name and select Item Details.

It will open another window with all the codecs details.

EG.

- - Type DSH
- - Function Decoder
DSH Friendly Name 3ivx D4 Video Decoder
DSH DirectShow CLSID {0E6772C0-DD80-11D4-B58F-A86B66D0611C}
FIL File Description 3ivx D4 4.5.1 DirectShow Video Decoder
FIL Company Name 3ivx.com
FIL File Version 4, 5, 1, 30
FIL Internal Name 3ivxDSDecoder
FIL Legal Copyright Copyright (C) 3ivx.com, 1999-2004. All rights reserved.
FIL Original Filename 3ivxDSDecoder.ax
FIL Product Name 3ivx D4 4.5.1
FIL Product Version 4, 5, 1, 30
REG Driver File C : \ Program Files\3ivx\3ivx D4 4.5.1\3ivxDSDecoder.ax
REG Merit 0x00800000

Right click on any line in there and select Copy all lines to clipboard as text

Now paste that into your next reply, seperated, do the same for any other entries ONLY the ones above a Green band.

I have just 2 for the avi file I used for this test, you may only have 1 or maybe more.

It crashed on the XP m0chine, when I clicked on 2 under Vid on some avi files but works OK on this Win2k box, hopefully it works OK for you.

PS. Once you have opened an avi file with Gspot, it adds an option to the Open With.... menu, when you right click on an avi file. This program only works on Avi files.

Re. The .Mov files, they are native to QT, although some other players will play them. When I ran a .Mov file in ZB, I had the same option to launch them in an external player, so that seems to be the Norm for .Mov files in ZB.

If you want QT to play them, via ZB, re-associate them to QT as per the many instructions I have already posted before. Right click, Open With > Choose Program, etc, but they will still want to play in an external player via the button that appears.

Well thats me for the night, see you on the morrow.
Old 27-May-2010, 22:39
Screamager

Blimey Johnny - not sure what extracting and unpacking means....
It all looks very complex to me right now so will tackle tomorrow as still wrestling with very bad toothache right now.
Maybe tomorrow it will look clearer....
Thanks again
Night night
Old 28-May-2010, 07:26
Screamager

Johnny wrote
In the interface, on the toolbar, select File > Open, then Browse to one of your avi files, click on it to highlight it and click on the Open button on the bottom right.

Wait till it has finished loading the data.

D I select File and Open but can't see a Browse. I get this far (see screenshot). What do I do from there exactly?
Thanks
Sorry can't upload screenshot says Invalid file
I will try to describe what I see - after I select File and Open a box comes up with Select Files to be checked at top with Look in G spot with a list underneath
Export format
G spot27.dat
G spot exe
License
At the very bottom is File name slot which is empty and Open or Cancel
I tried highlighting G spot.exe and clicking open but nothing happens. I've lost it somewhere....
Old 28-May-2010, 10:18
Screamager

Hiya.

So you have Gspot extracted.

The name you are seeing in the Look in: box is the Gspot folder and in the lower window listing, you are seeing the folders contents, Gspot.exe, Gspot27.dat, etc.

You now need to browse to the drive/folder your avi files are in, like so....

When you start Gspot and go to File > Open, another window opens, called ( Select file(s) to be checked.. ), at the top of that window is a box called Look in:, just to the right of that Look in: box is a black arrow on a grey button, click on that arrow button to open the dropdown menu, from there you can select the drive letter that holds your avi files, ( Wasnt it F drive. ) once you have selected the drive letter, any files/folders that are on that drive, will be listed in the lower window, you need to then locate the folder that the avi files are in and double click on it to open it.

When the folder is open, the files again appear in the lower window listing, now click on one to highlight it ( EG. The one with the woman and pinky face. ), the file name will then appear in the box below the listing window called File name: Now click the Open button.

Gspot will now load that file and analyse it. Then do what I previously asked.

Maybe I should have held your hand a bit longer, lol
Old 28-May-2010, 12:53
Screamager

Hope this is what you need Johnny
Thanks for your efforts in explaining such clear detail
They should employ people like you to write the instructions on Chinese flatpack self assembly wardrobes!
D

- - Type DSH
- - Function Decoder
DSH 4CC MPEG2_VIDEO
DSH Friendly Name ffdshow Video Decoder
DSH DirectShow CLSID {04FE9017-F873-410E-871E-AB91661A4EF7}
FIL File Description DirectShow and VFW video and audio decoding/encoding/processing filter
FIL File Version 1.1.3439.0
FIL Internal Name ffdshow
FIL Legal Copyright Copyright 2002-2010
FIL Original Filename ffdshow.ax
FIL Product Name ffdshow
FIL Product Version 1.1.3439.0
FIL Legal Trademarks GNU GPL
REG Driver File CProgram Files\ffdshow\ffdshow.ax
REG Merit 0xff800001

- - Type DSH
- - Function Decoder
DSH 4CC MJPG
DSH Friendly Name MJPEG Decompressor
DSH DirectShow CLSID CLSID_MjpegDec {301056D0-6DFF-11D2-9EEB-006008039E37}
REG Driver File CWINDOWS\system32\quartz.dll
REG Merit 0x00600000

- - Type DSH
- - Function Decoder
DSH 4CC MPEG2_VIDEO
DSH Friendly Name ffdshow Video Decoder
DSH DirectShow CLSID {04FE9017-F873-410E-871E-AB91661A4EF7}
FIL File Description DirectShow and VFW video and audio decoding/encoding/processing filter
FIL File Version 1.1.3439.0
FIL Internal Name ffdshow
FIL Legal Copyright Copyright 2002-2010
FIL Original Filename ffdshow.ax
FIL Product Name ffdshow
FIL Product Version 1.1.3439.0
FIL Legal Trademarks GNU GPL
REG Driver File CProgram Files\ffdshow\ffdshow.ax
REG Merit 0xff800001

- - Type DSH
- - Function Decoder
DSH 4CC MJPG
DSH Friendly Name MJPEG Decompressor
DSH DirectShow CLSID CLSID_MjpegDec {301056D0-6DFF-11D2-9EEB-006008039E37}
REG Driver File CWINDOWS\system32\quartz.dll
REG Merit 0x00600000
Old 30-May-2010, 15:34
Screamager

Just to tidy up this thread....
The end result of this marathon run by JohnnyReb51 with me trailing behind by four miles! was that he managed to crack the sound only video prob.
I now have full video on Zoombrowser - except that the colour's a bit skewwiff.
There might have been ways of fixing it with new downloads but I erred on the side of caution, anxious not to crash and lose all my pix, and am well pleased with the result.
JohnnyReb I now expect to retire for six weeks to give his cycbermind a little rest!
Thanks Johnny for all your help!
Dave
Old 30-May-2010, 15:43
Screamager

Hi Dave.

No probs.

Next time you have problems like this, phone the Social, heha.

Sorry, cant stop, or I'll miss my retirement flight to South America. Whooooooooooooooooooosh!

Tags
audio, cards, company, computer, dating, files, forward, free, google, home, ipod, key, mail, make, phone, player, product, screen, security, settings, software, sound, tools, virus, web, windows