Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Networking

Old 07-November-2001, 10:01
Screamager

Default Winroute NAT Connection Limit?

All of a sudden I am getting errors appearing when I try and download a games server list using UT/Tac-ops.

Winroute displays the error

host 192.168.x.x denied: connection limit reached

Now I assume this means the number of streams connecting through the NAT, but I have never seen it happen before, and was not aware that it would happen at all.

Winroute then shuts my network out for about 5 minutes complaining with the same error. It comes back eventually, but obviously it is a little annoying.

Anyone offer any advice as to how I can remedy this?

'Slo
Old 07-November-2001, 19:17

sounds weird, never seen that on winroute, perhaps the winroute site will say why it happens. I'd be suprised if it was some general prob with WR, dunno,,

Sil
Old 07-November-2001, 19:30
Screamager

It is weird coz it certainly didn't happen before.
I would like to reboot the server at some stage because I have uninstalled some stuff and installed some new stuff recently without rebooting.........maybe this is the cause, not sure, but that darn 'Long Molecule' UD unit is running on it, so I am less inclined to

I considered that it may be something to do with the licencing, but I was under the impression that the unlicenced version (ie the demo) only restricted the number of clients, not the number of "streams".

I cannot find anything on the Winroute site, but I am still looking.

Like I said, it hasn't been like this all the time, it only seems to have occurred recently, and there's nothing obvious that springs to mind that may have induced it.

The NAT just seems to be connection restricted

'Slo
Old 07-November-2001, 19:37

the demo thing is unlimited, as far as connection stuff goes, its fully working in that respect.

try shutting down winroute an restarting it (using the monitor in the sys tray an pick 'stop WR engine') might help ?

Sil
Old 07-November-2001, 19:52
Screamager

Yeah,

Thing is, it is definately related because it does actually begin to work.

You know how the UT server list is obtained, when it starts displaying all the available servers you can connect to, and the percentage begins to increase. Well, it gets sort of half way through the Tac-Op's list (56% - not sure on the exact number of servers) and then stalls. Checking Winroute error log I see this message scrolling. Then nothing can pass through the NAT for a while, not even IE.

I checked by clearing the log and then starting the server list download again once the NAT was up and running again. As soon as it stalls, the message appears....scrolling, so it is definately limiting the number of NAT connections for some reason.

I will try restarting Winroute and see what happens

Cheers

'Slo
Old 07-November-2001, 20:55

you could try limiting the tcp timeout figures, but I dont know if theres a prob with WR or something in the OS that WR doesnt like, ie whether rebooting would 'fix' it ..

tcp timeout is set to 40 mins default - option under
settings > advanced > misc options

I think 40 mins is quite a lot for a NAT table timeout (?), 5 mins might be ok - worth a fiddle with perhaps

Sil
Old 07-November-2001, 20:59
Screamager

Yeah, I don't think it's the timeout of the NAT table that's the prob, but when there's nothing else to lose it will defo be fiddled with

'Slo
Old 07-November-2001, 21:04

it might be the NAT table, thats abt the only place that there could be a limit in winroute (that I can think of). should be something abt that message in the help files or on their website..

I dont think there is a hard limit in WR tho, could be wrong..

Sil
Old 07-November-2001, 21:17
Screamager

I'm coming round to the theory of a time related problem now, because of the delay in recovery of the NAT connection after the message has appeared.

It's somthing like 3 minutes I think. I will check any other timeout settings and see if I can corrolate anything.

Will try NAT table timeout too

There's a beer in it if your right

'Slo
Old 07-November-2001, 22:31

Only 1 useful hit on groups.google.com, and its in German !

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...line.com#link1

http://babelfish.altavista.com/ does say:

GameSpy (among other things also the help Life Loader) is connected on each server in the received list and gotten parameter of this server (number of players, current map etc. and so on). This function, provides in the " Verbindungstablle " from Winroute for a large number of connections. These connections, are diminished within one period, and starting from this period new connections are again possible.

You can reduce the " connection Timeout " or configure the number of connections those the NAT supported, do not ask me not as, but good software can do that. The error message says, which is achieved the Maximun at active connections, configured, and which cannot be initiert up to the reduction by connections a further connection.

Errr, what he said
Old 07-November-2001, 22:46
Screamager

Initially it sounds like I owe Sil a beer then

Ian, you get a babycham for finding it

'Slo

P.S. Drinks will onmly be supplied if the outcome is satisfactory.
Old 07-November-2001, 23:06

I think WR might be hitting an OS limit, which could be a resource, like disk or memory (or something like that) as I cant think WR has hard coded a size limit on the NAT lookup table. That said its possible something like gamespy connects to so much it upsets something (?)...

as I understand it (jus guessing) the NAT table entries only exist while the connection is in the pending state, ie once connected they shouldnt need to be stored in the NAT table (certainly they can be removed from the connections pending table which is where most overhead would normally be?)

weird indeed if you've hit a WR limit, as its meant to run fine on big networks ...

Sil
Old 08-November-2001, 01:32

humm - looking in the registry - here's something..

my computer > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > software > tinysoftware > winroute

NatConnLimitPerHost - on mine is set to 128 - I can't really see how gamespy could be using more .. but who knows - try doubling that number

Sil

PS will prolly need to restart WR engine after changing settings in the reg..
Old 08-November-2001, 11:11
Screamager

Well, strange that you should mention that. I too have just been looking in the registry and noticed that value.

Thanks Sil

'Slo

P.S. Lowering the NAT table timeout didn't help
Old 08-November-2001, 11:47
Screamager

Yep, that did it Sil, well it seems to have worked anyway.

I upped the limit to 512 coz I was still getting the odd error message with it set to 256

Thanks for all your help guys

'Slo

Edit : Stop WR engine, alter reg setting, start WR engine.

Tags
computer, connection, delay, files, google, line, lookup, nat, network, offer, online, settings, software