Old 09-December-2001, 03:28
我們被注定

Question Private File Sharing

Wasn't sure where to post this, so I put it here.
Is there anyway I can give someone access over the net to certain files or folders on my comp. I'm wondering if this is possible through network neighbourhood.
I have certain progs on my comp I want to share with others, so I suppose I would want to be setting up some kind of temporary server, allowing them to access the progs directly.
I don't have a static Ip. Is there some way around this?
I will leave the question as it is for now, and hope that you will understand what it is I want to do.

Thanks

"Thinking about what you might not be able to control, only wastes time and energy, till it eventually becomes your enemy."
Old 09-December-2001, 11:35
seaviewuk

Hi Beef

Ok, I was in the same position as you a few weeks ago.

here ya go, it might be a bit disjointed but you should probably get the drift

1: go to http://dns2go.deerfield.com/home/ to get a domain name (FREE!!), whenever you are on the computer after that then by typing in your dns2go.com domain name your preferred contactees will be able to log into your computer without needing to know your IP number.

2: you will need an ftp server the one i use is FTP-Servu

http://www.candc1.com/ftpservu/ you can download a 30 day trial very simple to set up users passwords directory restricting blah blah

there are probably others but this is the one i use

3: you can also set up a webserver but I haven't got around to that yet, but I know others on here that have and they can take up the baton of compaionship

hope this gets you started anyway!

cheers

Last edited by seaviewuk; 09-December-2001 at 11:37.
Old 09-December-2001, 13:39
astral p

There is another way as well, which is dead simple and quick, and also easy if you want something that you can enable with one click.

ICQ now has a file sharing facility. You nominate a particular folder which is to be used for sharing, then stipulate on your preferences who, if anyone, can access this folder. I know that some poeple are not keen on ICQ, but if you set your security high, and go through all the security and preference windows, you are at no greater risk than at any other time I find. This way is also handy as you can turn it on and off with one mouse click.

Just a thought anyway.
Old 09-December-2001, 15:00

yep you could set up a server, which isn't hard - but there's easier ways perhaps

As astral says icq lets you do it, as does AIM (I think) but also remember you can ftp the files to a free web server (and 'hide' them or password protect them) encrypt them (using something simple like winace). The advantage to putting them on someone else's server is when people DL you don't have to be online, they arn't limited by your upload speed (on a modem it's about 3.5 Kbytes max).

I run apache and serv-u ftp - the ftp is probably a little easier to set up than apache - but then apache does rock (and it's free!) if you have a little time to work it out

Sil

PS, network neighbourhood isn't a good idea to run across the web - it's not very secure
Old 09-December-2001, 17:39
我們被注定

What a great response I will check out all the info after work this evening!
Sil, I don't want to upload the software to a free server as some of the progs are huge even when zipped and as you know it means spending time online and the way Isp's are going, I don't want to be booted off for excessive use.
Thanks anyway guys for the great info

Yours

"Thinking about what you might not be able to control, only wastes time and energy, till it eventually becomes your enemy."
Old 10-December-2001, 09:29
我們被注定

OK I registered with DNS top go and got my DNS. Also I DL'd servftpu, but I can't seem to access my own server. When i tyoe in the URL given to me by DNS2go I get a page not found error.
I configured a test file in FTPU and still couldn't access it. Am I doing something worng?
Sil I dl'd Apache and there doesn't seem to be an installer. Well there is one but windows won't run it. It says on the Apache website I will need installer 1.10, but the website that one can get it from is down. Have I dl'd the wrong version? Is there a windows version that I can get hold of.
The Apache servers have a load of progs in it, and I'm not sure I have the right one.
More help would be apreciated if you guys don't mind.

Old 10-December-2001, 09:47
seaviewuk

Hi Beef,

When you tried to access the FTP server did u type in ftp:// in the browser window rather than http:// ?
Old 10-December-2001, 10:09
我們被注定

Hi Seaview! Did you get my Private message?

Old 10-December-2001, 10:20
seaviewuk

Hi Beef,

Yeah and I just PM'd you back
Old 11-December-2001, 05:31
我們被注定

Question Apache 1.30

Just an update!
I managed to ge my comp to act as an FTP server and all is working and was confirmed by Seaviewuk.
Now then are there any "dummy" friendly links out there, that explain how to configure the Apache server.
I downloaded the it yesterday installed it and I don't have a clue how to configure it at all.
I got it to link up with my Dns2go, but how do I get it to look like a website?

Yours

Old 11-December-2001, 08:01

heh - apache takes a bit of reading abt to get it going

best place to start is read the entire contents of the httpd.conf file under the 'conf' dir.

There's only a few places you need to edit - but a quick read through is handy I think.

I think it's just

ServerName
DocumentRoot

an possibly

Port

you'll need to change to start with - then try connecting to it - u can use

http://127.0.0.1:80

Sil

PS, best to read what you can find on the web as well

Tags
computer, dead, dns, file sharing, files, free, home, isp, line, modem, network, online, security, share, sharing, software, speed, web, windows