Go Back   The Scream! > COMMUNITY FORUMS > Expostulation Plaza

Old 01-January-2014, 13:35
Safe Sane Consensual

Default Centenary of the First World War

We missed the live broadcast of the ceilidh New Year celebrations from Glasgow. We watched a recorded version this morning.

Much of the programme in Gaelic was subtitled and we saw a beautiful young singer perform a war poem set to music called "The White Swan"

Unfortunately the song was not subtitled but I was interested enough to see if I could get the English lyrics from the internet.

Not only did I get the lyrics but a performance of the song to share with you:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qWWgntTdO0

IMHO the centenary should not be one involving pomp, jingoism and military ceremonies to glorify war. Instead we should to remember the futile slaughter of so many young men by incompetent generals and the executions of those suffering from shell shock.

I believe we should recognise the courage of those who spoke common sense against the war. We would certainly be living in a better world if the international efforts of Keir Hardie and Sylvia Pankhurst to prevent the war had been successful. If active peace movements in the participating countries had not been thwarted maybe we would not have had the circumstances leading up to Hitler gaining power and Europe involved in the start of the Second World War.

Tags
international, internet, music, share