Old 17-June-2002, 23:56
val

Default Audio Galaxy - gone?

Hi all,

Attempted to get a few tracks from Audio Galaxy tonight but all have the dreaded X against them.. I know they are going the same way as Napster but didnt think it would happen right away... Maybe its a fault with the website - fingers crossed! but have a feeling this could be the end.

Wondered if anyone knows anything about this,

Thanks,
Val
Old 18-June-2002, 08:37

They are blocking what they see as copyrighted stuff, they`ve been doing this for quite some time, although its not affected all artists/songs/albums, but I guess they may have increased the blocking now they are being sued by the RIAA.

Try searching for just the song title, sometimes you can find the same song elsewhere on audiogalaxy but not blocked.

If not then try http://www.kazaalite.tk
Old 18-June-2002, 10:03
Trance Addict

I've noticed it no too, I've also noticed that the speed of it is dropping back allot, on my ADSL I can now gt a max download speed of 22 ka sec on a good day, and 3k a sec on a really bady, everything else I down;oad from anywhere else comes straight down at 56k a sec ,

Behemoth
Old 18-June-2002, 14:17
val

Thanks for your replies. I had noticed a lot were being blocked recently,and did try other searches previously but now absolutely nothing works at all.. and nothing is downloading :-( I seriously think AG has gone now.

Val
Old 18-June-2002, 17:54
rockrabbit

I agree with Val. All the songs I've tried (obscure and popular) are 100% blocked. My satellite connects to the servers ok, but can't queue any songs. The satellite was working for me up till about 8pm last night (17th), but I was not trying to queue any songs so blocking may have already happened.

The Rabbit the Size of a Planet
Old 18-June-2002, 19:55

Yup, its those lovely RIAA people

The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) has announced an out-of-court settlement of its lawsuit with file-trading service Audiogalaxy. "We are pleased to settle this case quickly," says RIAA Chairman and CEO Hilary Rosen. "This is a victory for everyone who cares about protecting the value of music. This should serve as a wake-up call to the other networks that facilitate unauthorized copying. The responsibility for implementing systems that allow for the authorized use of copyrighted works rests squarely on the shoulders of the peer-to-peer network."

Similar to the RIAA's settlement with Napster, Audiogalaxy must halt the infringement of copyrighted songs on its site and pay what is described as a "substantial sum" to music publishers and the recording industry. Audiogalaxy will be allowed to continue operations using a "filter-in" system, which ensures that any songs swapped on the site are done so with the consent of the songwriter, music publisher and/or recording company.
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/new....asp?nid=16135

http://www.billboard.com/billboard/d...ent_id=1517548
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm...atestheadlines
Old 19-June-2002, 18:28
val

Thanks for your replies. Would be interested to know which alternatives people are using please?

Feel like I've lost a friend :-( I did like AG.

Val
Old 19-June-2002, 19:08

Val,

http://www.kazaalite.tk is good for mp3

Sil
Old 19-June-2002, 20:51
sparrow

Have always used WINMX without any problems new version 3.2 now available.
Old 20-June-2002, 08:32

Thumbs down Audiogalaxy runs up white flag

To add to what Ian posted above:
Audiogalaxy runs up white flag
By Drew Cullen
Posted: 19/06/2002 at 09:16 GMT

Audiogalaxy, the P2P music sharing service, was taken down yesterday, following a near fatal attack of the lawsuits. Although the home page was up, nothing was downloadable, not even a drum and base mix one Reg reader "put up on the network last summer".

The company has settled out of court with RIAA, the US recording industry organisation, and is to pay substantial royalties to record companies and publishers.

Also it will block the download of songs unless it receives explicit permission from the songwriter, music publisher and/or record company. Which means the AudioGalaxy has shrunk into a very small solar system.

The Austin, Texas firm can negotiate collectively with the music indies, and it can operate some type of declaratory form for people putting up demos. But can you imagine how negotiations with the music majors (with the possible exception of Bertelsmann) will go?

Four of the five big music firms had no intention of settling with Napster, so why should it be any different with AudioGalaxy?
Old 20-June-2002, 08:47

thanks gem,

Also it will block the download of songs unless it receives explicit permission from the songwriter, music publisher and/or record company. Which means the AudioGalaxy has shrunk into a very small solar system.
op-in instead of opt-out, 'solar system' - sounds like it could be smaller than that!

Sil
Old 20-June-2002, 10:23
Trance Addict

Another one bites the dust

Behemoth
Old 20-June-2002, 11:15

Indeed, and what with copy protection etc there will be nothing left soon!
Old 21-June-2002, 00:58
val

Thanks to you all for your replies and suggestions. Thanks a lot to Sil and Sparrow for alternatives... I am giving WinMx a go at the moment and it does seem very good. I especially like the fact that they state that you wont be landed with spyware! Has to be a bonus. There seems to be a good variety of tracks available too, so reckon I'll be happy with this. Thanks Sparrow and thanks Sil as well.. will try your one tomorrow as well. All very much appreciated.

I am just wondering if either of these sites resume downloads? Not to worry if not.. just good to find a replacement for AG.

G'night all, and thanks again,

Val (way past my bedtime!)
Old 23-June-2002, 16:34
Trance Addict

Not sure whats going on with Win MX at the moment, I can sign intot he servers alright but when I try to download something I keep getting user disconect me, it's getting very annoying.

Behemoth
Old 23-June-2002, 17:34
tony

similar problems B, i upgraded to the latest build and thing improved
Old 23-June-2002, 17:59
Screamager

You're not alone Behemoth. If you look at the alt.music.mp3.winmx newsgroup, many people are reporting similar frustrations. Some people seem to get better connections after upgrading from ver 3.1 (which appears to have been particularly bad) to ver 3.2.

I'm still on ver 2.6 but may try 3.2 on another PC and see how it goes (I don't have a lot of faith in it seeing the many probs others appear to be having, but I'm prepared to try it on a separate PC where it won't compromise my existing set-up)

My main use of WinMx is for sharing audio books/old radio programs etc. using an OpenNap server. Up/downloads on that are rock solid and connections are stable. Lots of WPNP users however just can't connect to me at all. WinMx does seem to be going through a bit of a rough patch at the moment. I did manage to download 4 whole albums for a mate last week tho'

Pete
Old 23-June-2002, 20:53
Trance Addict

I did managed to download 1 mp3 through WinMX today, but that was all I was able to get my grubby router to download.

At the moment I'm using Grokster, which seems quite good.

Behemoth
Old 24-June-2002, 03:58
JetSilver

I just d/loaded winmx 3.2 and have got 3 full albums off it ok using pipex adsl.
Old 24-June-2002, 09:11
Trance Addict

I'm on the same ISP as you JetSilver and well I'm glad someone can get Win MX to work properly.

Behemoth
Old 24-June-2002, 19:51
Screamager

This has thrown me a bit

I always used audio galaxy for music
And Grokster for movies

It was a system that worked well, but now I find myself looking up my favourite music on Grokster and finding hardly anything

I just looked up King Tubby, there's hardly anything

And DAMMIT! I CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT DUB REGGAE!!!!

If a 'real' replacement for AG appears can someone please let me know?
Old 24-June-2002, 22:45
Trance Addict

Groksters about the best one of all them I;ve tried since AG went down.

Behemoth
Old 25-June-2002, 20:21
robcar

Thumbs up

Hello MAN WHO

Just checked out Kazaalite for your King Tubby and there's loads of it

regards

rob
Old 09-July-2002, 00:14
JackatGCC

Question

As a Trad. Jazz fan, I would like to know how they get the performers permission if he's dead

Tags
adsl, audio, bad, blocking, company, dead, happy, home, isp, lost, music, network, router, sharing, speed