Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > General Software

Old 08-September-2003, 17:20
Safe Sane Consensual

Default Playing a DVD from computer to TV screen

Why can't I do it?

1. For replay of DV from the camcorder the SVideo connection and audio lead from camcorder work well using Scart socket on back of modern Sony TV set. The Scart plug has SVideo in and audio in.

2. The computer leads are taken out of the camcorder and plugged into the SVideo and audio outputs of the laptop.

3 Laptop shows "XP Home" starting up - no image on TV

4 Laptop shows blue Welcome screen - shown on TV also

5 Desktop image shown in matching full screen on both laptop and television

6. Program control panels for DVD Max or operating program with commercial DVD film is shwon on laptop and TV

7. Commercial DVD plays correctly on laptop screen. Television screen is black!!!

8. Own DVD in MPEG2 displays on laptop butwon't display on TV screen.

Appreciate any help you DVD pundits may be able to give.

Thanks
Old 08-September-2003, 17:42

some cards need your to turn the output on for tv-out

normally in display properties
Old 08-September-2003, 17:42

If you look along the top row of the keyboard (the very top row) you should see a little square in green - press and hold the alt key and press that key and it should turn off the laptop monitor and push all the display to the tv (perhaps!)

Sil

PS,. or it might be what scooby says will help also
Old 08-September-2003, 17:52

I do this a lot, previously a matrox g400 and now a nvidia geforce 4 and both of these have had a function where it will take the contents of a video window (eg media player) and zoom this to full screen and play it on the 2nd display.

From your description it sounds like its only doing a clone of the main display, and I get the same thing as you, it shows the whole desktop except a blank space where the video is (this is because the video an overlay on top the desktop - far too boring to explain fully )

Look for overlay options in the graphics settings, for nvidia drivers theres an "Overlay controls" section with a "Full Screen Video Mirroring Controls" bit, here choose "secondary display" to automagically show just the video on the 2nd display.
Old 08-September-2003, 20:11
Safe Sane Consensual

Thanks for your prompt guidance folks.

On Silvs point there is an Fn control on F4 to control monitors and there are indeed three options available....

*just the notebook's LCD screen
*just the external monitor
*both the LCD screen and the external monitor.

Firstly I found Ian's and Scoobs pointers in the "Win DVD" that came the software bundle. TV Output configuration is greyed out but the is a dot on "Show full screen on TV" and not on "Mirror PC Display on TV Screen" which I guess is what we might be after.

However I can't see any way of changing this (or switching the control panel of this program on or off!). Same with DVD Max my preferred control program.

On the XP Display properties there is a section showing an active window of 1400 x 1045 pixels and a secondary window of 640 x 480 pixels that is disabled - it's within the mobility Radeon 9000 framework.

I opened the advanced settings window and that showed three device images . The "panel" which is the laptop is shown as 1400 x 1045 pixels and "scale image to panel size) is shown on the details. The Monitor and TV are shown as "not connected" (that's the current situation)

Ah... there's also a bit at the top that says "Scheme" It's currently blank and not showing the "Default Single Display" or"Switch amongst displays"

Wonder if once I connect things up again and enter these advanced settings I will be able to effect alterations in the XP Display properties and the operating programs.

A primary objective is to avoid authorising default programs that might conflict with my video editing suite. Otherwise there might be problems in sourcing the editing suites preferred programs

Maybe the simple answer is to get a cheap DVD player

Better not spend any more time - it's Mrs W/L's birthday and I had better get back to the bumping Will start again in the morning. Thanks ......
Old 08-September-2003, 20:28

Frankly, i`ve seen a zillion laptops with that ati drivers page and I`ve never understood it either

Give Mrs WL one from me*

* a birthday geeting, of course
Old 08-September-2003, 20:33

I kinda know how it works,. in the displays setting - press the red button on the 2nd display (or tv screen one) so it is turned on - then there's 3 buttons underneath - the target one needs to be on the tv - and off on the lcd ,,. not very clear - will post a pic later if it'll help

Sil

PS,. happy birthday Mrs W/L
Old 09-September-2003, 11:24
Safe Sane Consensual

Successfully made things worse.

Now all the monitor displays is the desktop background image!!!!

The options I mentioned in the previous post are indeed available once a monitor is connected.

One point noted is the TV maximum resolution (according to XP) is 1024 x 768 so I have adjusted this.

At one stage I had on my laptop giant low res images but I've sorted this out now!!!

I'll disconnect the monitor and return to the office to connect up a printer and print out the XP Home trouble shooter.

Phew ... is it worth it. Might end up watching the laptop screen!- at least is in high definition!!!

Perhaps your piccy might help Silv...... thanks
Old 09-September-2003, 11:50

Originally posted by Worldlife
Successfully made things worse.

Now all the monitor displays is the desktop background image!!!!

this sounds like you changed the tv output to a second desktop, if you move the mouse off the laptop display (eiither top bottom left ot right edge) it should appear on the tv display. you should also be able to drag windows onto it..
Old 09-September-2003, 14:57
Safe Sane Consensual

by Ian]
this sounds like you changed the tv output to a second desktop,
Guess these things happen when you meddle with advanced settings not knowing exactly what you are up too. Hope it was a step in the right direction though!

You are right there Ian about the mouse pointer once off the laptop screen becoming visible on the TV Screen

The Windows I have tried to drag don't seem to be available for that purpose. I can't seem to work out how (or what) Window to drag and from where. The only thing I seem to be able to do on the image of the desktop is to drag an empty square over it.

Why is such a simple task so difficult?

BTW in trying to switch windows I got this ATI Properties information that stated "Your selected configuration is not available since a portion of your extended desktop would not be visible"
Old 09-September-2003, 18:30

not sure your's is like this - but it might be

is how I set mine up

and on the advanced button > displays tab - turn on the tv one and select the little target for the tv display and unselect it for the main monitor (see the little blue buttons underneath?)

Sil
Old 09-September-2003, 19:29

whats in the overlay tab ?
Old 09-September-2003, 21:49
Safe Sane Consensual

Will install PSP on the laptop to get future screen shots (to transfer to the desktop to send!) but for the moment......

Silv's first image.....

Mine shows Primary Display 1 (Multiple Monitors) on Bobility Radeon 5000. Color quality highest (32bit) Screen resolution 1400 x 1050 pixels

Display 2 is "not active" (maybe because the TV is not connected?)

On moving to Advanced Settings for Display 1 I have the option of Default Single Display or Switch Amongst Displays - there seems to be no blank option as shown on Silv's image I had "switch amongst displays" on my last test run

Although the screen seems to be behaving OK on the "Panel" (or laptop) I think I recall a blue tab(like Sil's) before I did the alterations. Maybe this will come on again for both the laptop and the TV screen when I reconnect to the TV?

The TV and Monitor are shown "not connected" and the laptop correct definition is shown. Attributes of the panel are fine.

I'm getting absolutely..........

Hope you might be able to see what is amiss and what needs to be done..........
Old 09-September-2003, 23:10

ian - the overlay window says something about it being automatic ,,.

so far as I can tell I can the blue buttons on the 'displays' window choose which screen gets to see the video

Sil

PS,. yes the tv plug needs to be in for the tv to be selectable - once it is and turned on (press red button on displays) you get to press the blue buttons underneath - just set it like mine
Old 10-September-2003, 09:25
Safe Sane Consensual

I'll try that Silv next time I've got everything set up again

Just note that both your screens show the same resolution...

My laptop is of much higher definition than the TV set - could this be associated with the problems and Ian's advice re the pointer going off the screen on the laptop and then becoming visible on the TV set?

Thanks.........
Old 10-September-2003, 10:16

Theres 2 modes of operation for the 2nd screen.

Clone :- as it says on the tin, its an exact copy of what is on your desktop.

Span, extra desktop :- the 2nd display shows an extra desktop, which be moved between using the mouse

Ideally you`d want the clone mode, its much easier to use in this context.

For both modes only one of the displays is capable of showing a video (overlay) the other screen will show a blank box.

You can change the display that is capable of showing videos by changing which display is the "primary" display - in Sils screenies the primary display is the one with the blue bullseye button selected. In that case its the TV, the monitor will then show a black box where the video should be.
Old 10-September-2003, 13:53
Safe Sane Consensual

Thanks folks - here's the whole terrible saga in vivid technicolour

This section is with the TV not connected.......

This is a "Print Screen" with control panel and display properties windows open against a single desktop image on the laptop - resized 30%. The "print screen" is showing a hidden area of the display.

1. Multiple monitors etc
2. Multiple monitors etc

Are the two options from the drop down menu

Default single display shown
TV tag blue but it is disconnected
Panel (laptop) has two blue buttons 1 and 2

Panel attributes - button 2 does not work

Clicked on blue tV tab
Screen shows Stonehenge - multiple monitors - resize 30%
Centre message reads

"Your selected configuration is not available since a portion of your desktop would not be visible - please change these settings"

Where, how and what too?

Note secondary display has the maximum screen resolution of TV which is 1024 x 768

Television connected

Option switch amongst displays is available

Tried hotkey and got the extended display warning.
Buttons 1 and 2 now switch between displays
Fn and alt Fn and F4 keyboard facilities to switch display did not seem to work

Thanks for your help and interest.....
Old 18-July-2004, 05:34
Terrie

Thumbs up oh, was that all it was? ...

Hi - the mistake we were making for trying to play the DVD to the TV was picking 2 monitors. go back and disable monitor 2. that is for something else. that must be for putting 2 monitors next to each other so you can have a really large desktop - you can put more icons on monitor 2. that isn't what you want. you want to see the same thing on the TV that is on your computer monitor. disable monitor 2 by right clicking and unclick attached. then go back to monitor one and click advanced. that is where you say show it on the TV. I finally figured it out and it works great. 1024 X 768 - what it was in the first place.
Old 31-January-2005, 15:35
Safe Sane Consensual

Default Re: Playing a DVD from computer to TV screen

Things have improved........

I've now just got the laptop desktop up but the darned DVD it is playing doesn't show.

Ah - that's progress
Old 31-January-2005, 15:54
Alnath

spend 25 pounds on a dvd player because it much easier to use and control
Old 31-January-2005, 17:54
Safe Sane Consensual

The reason this cropped up again is that my Sony DVD will not play a PAL DVD recorded in Mexico on Sony DVD +RW. The DVD plays in a series of bursts and is pixellated. Does this write out "zone" issues?

My Sony DVD's pet hate is +RW and any I do in this format have to be carefully prepared and my best possible menu is DVD -R or DVD -RW but it will play my own TDK +RW excellently

The DVD plays fine on the laptop

I can't find the post where I mentioned previously I had tried to copy the DVD and even with a video editing programme I've had problems. Something to do I think with the fact that this commercial recording is a mix of stock shots and titles with our own professionally shot video of swimming with dolphins.

I'm wondering if their is a "rip" programme that will clone this dolphin DVD. Nero and Roxio don't want to know it!!

...anyway buying another DVD player might not be the answer
Old 31-January-2005, 19:12
seaviewuk

Hi Vic,

Try DVDShrink

http://www.filemirrors.com/search.sr...ink32setup.zip
Old 31-January-2005, 23:44
Safe Sane Consensual

Hi Vic,

Try DVDShrink

http://www.filemirrors.com/search.sr...ink32setup.zip
Originally Posted by seaviewuk
Welcome back seaview

Thanks for this suggestion but your link took me to an outrageously expensive version of DVD X Copy.

The official site for DVD Shrink (Freeware) gave a number of links. This is one of the page currently working. Right at the bottom you can get a download of the English version dvdshrink23.zip

Will give it a whirl in a few days time - thanks

Last edited by Worldlife; 31-January-2005 at 23:58.
Old 01-February-2005, 03:51
buckster

WL
Its a really good app and is a piece of cake to use( which is handy im my case)
I cant relly reccomend DVD shrink enough.
Old 02-February-2005, 09:56
seaviewuk

Welcome back seaview

Thanks for this suggestion but your link took me to an outrageously expensive version of DVD X Copy.

The official site for DVD Shrink (Freeware) gave a number of links. This is one of the page currently working. Right at the bottom you can get a download of the English version dvdshrink23.zip

Will give it a whirl in a few days time - thanks
Originally Posted by Worldlife
oops! Apologies for that.

Glad you found it

It really is a useful programme as buckster says and easy to use.
Old 22-February-2005, 11:30
Safe Sane Consensual

Agree - what a superb programme.

Yes I've managed to copy the entire disk using DVD shrink.- thats a step forward. (Nero would not burn but Roxio would)

The copy DVD will play on the computer but not on the living room domestic DVD player.

The main file seems to be VTS 01-1 a VOB file of about .7 GB. In trying to incorporate that into a new video file for burning to DVD I get a warning that it Audio is in AC3 format and the copy will be silent if any editing is carried out.

It's silent - even before editing.

Thanks for the reccy of DVD shrink though......

Nero if I recall correctly needs an Audio and Video TS file when making a DVD
Old 22-February-2005, 11:41

WL

when using dvd shrink the best option is iso format then theres no messing with the video ts folders etc it will make a single file called film.iso and then nero or what ever you use will burn this to dvd and jobs done.

Another good prog is dvd decrypter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dvdiso.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	514  
Old 19-July-2007, 04:40
Fugelseth

Thumbs up Re: Playing a DVD from computer to TV screen

"Terrie" REALLY helped me out! You solved my cloning problem. I was trying to extend the desktop first, which gave me the error from the original poster.

Thanks so much!
Old 19-July-2007, 17:25
Former TS! Team

Two Years on and this thread is still helping people
Old 20-July-2007, 13:11
Safe Sane Consensual

..... and I've reread it from the beginning and wonder if Terrie's answer was the best solution

Tags
audio, birthday, cards, computer, connection, forward, happy, home, key, laptop, make, player, screen, settings, software, windows, zone, zoom