Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Networking

Old 01-December-2006, 12:09
PurryPants

Default Wireless Router - Tiscali

I am thinking of buying a wireless router as i have too many wires leading to my xbox 360 etc and have decided as crimbo is upon us i might as well take the leap. I'm with Tiscali ( adsl ) and i feel like i'm wandering around the internet aimlessly looking at routers. Which one would be best for me to buy bearing in mind i'm going to be using it for gaming i.e Xbox, Wii ?

Many Thanks !!!
Old 01-December-2006, 18:14
Former TS! Team

Default Re: Wireless Router - Tiscali

Personally I wouldn't use a wirless link for the xbox.
Wireless is fine for web browsing, saving documents to another computer, I just wouldn't use it for gaming. Wireless conections often drop and re-establish themselves fairly often, and also have a slower response time in games (lag).
Stick to using cat5 network cable for gaming and the xbox.

If you've got a wireless laptop or something you'd like to use then go for it just keep the xbox on a cable.

I'm not saying the xbox wont work wirelessly, I'm just saying that I wouldn't

Bear in mind that you'll probably need something wireless to plug into the xbox too.

What are you using at the moment?
Old 01-December-2006, 19:24
PurryPants

I'm using an ethernet cable it goes into the back of my PC then into the back of the 360. I thought i'd need to go wireless because of the Wii. I understand they are bringing out an ethernet connector thing but will it knock out the IP settings etc on my 360 ? It took me ages to get it all sorted luckily i found a guide that someone from the xbox forums had written !!
Old 01-November-2007, 14:43
danny

I am currently in the same situation looking for wireless routers but my needs are slightly different as i am looking to surf the web on my laptop without the hassle of wires.

Can anyone reccomend a router that is compatible with tiscali broadband and is proven to be a good one!

Many Thanks
Old 09-November-2007, 14:58
holtslps@tiscali.co.uk

I am currently in the same situation looking for wireless routers but my needs are slightly different as i am looking to surf the web on my laptop without the hassle of wires.

Can anyone reccomend a router that is compatible with tiscali broadband and is proven to be a good one!

Many Thanks
Originally Posted by danny View Post
Have you had any replies to this? I am in the same position with tiscali being my provider and the bt connector I bought wasn't recognised by tiscali
Helen
Old 10-November-2007, 07:47
Screamager

An unlocked BT 2wire 2700 from fleabay would do the trick
Old 11-November-2007, 20:53
JDC

I also have tiscali broadband and I have to use wireless connection as my computer is downstairs, and my xbox 360 is upstairs. Also my mum and dad will not let me have all the wires in the house everywhere. I've never used xbox live before and I cannot choose which wireless router to buy. I have heard netgear are good.
any one inparticular?

Thanks
Old 15-January-2008, 18:10
Reader

with tisca;i you will need a modem router which are slightly more expensive, about 60 quid in the uk.
i have got netgear and it works fine.
Old 15-January-2008, 18:31

Cool Re: Wireless Router - Tiscali

with tisca;i you will need a modem router which are slightly more expensive, about 60 quid in the uk.
i have got netgear and it works fine.
Originally Posted by Reader View Post
Or a modem/router and a separate Wi-Fi access point.

When I started with Tiscali I had a modem/router (Netgear DG834) and later added a 3com Wi-Fi (WL525). Now that I've moved home I'm now on BT I started with the above but recently up-graded to a Netgear DG834N.

Never had any problems with the Netgear (or 3com) but then again other Screamers will have experience of other makes.
Old 05-March-2008, 19:46
paul.papworth

i have tiscali dial up but i want wire less as well for my sons laptop what the best thing to do ???
Old 06-March-2008, 02:42
Austin_KW

i have tiscali dial up but i want wire less as well for my sons laptop what the best thing to do ???
Originally Posted by paul.papworth View Post
You would be sharing a low bandwidth connection between 2 computers but it can be done and it is not very difficult.

Leave the dial up connection on your PC. Enable Internet Connection sharing (ICS) on the dial up connection. This will turn your computer into an Internet gateway with a mini dhcp and DNS server.

You will need to share this connection with a wireless connection on the PC. The cheapest way to do this is to buy a wireless adapter for the PC. But you could also use a wireless access point (or a wireless router or wireless dsl router configured to work as and access point).

That said, you would be better of with low cost or free/bundled broadband.
Old 06-March-2008, 10:26

Question Re: Wireless Router - Tiscali

That said, you would be better of with low cost or free/bundled broadband.
Originally Posted by Austin_KW View Post
Provided it came with a modem/router/Wi-Fi.
Old 24-April-2008, 20:02
majshort@tiscali.co.uk

Thumbs up Re: Wireless Router - Tiscali

Many Thanks
i have had a belkin route with tiscali for about 2 years no problem at all with my laptop yours mick short
Old 25-April-2008, 16:17
Screamager

im loking to be buying a wired modem/router i do a lot of online gaming using my pc, it would also have to be abkle to handle the 100s of connections at once that torrents use i have heard that some router/modems cant handle large volumes of traffic as hopfully ill be on a 13mb d/load and 1mb up any one know of a good modem /router for this
Old 24-August-2008, 15:14
Sm1th93

Smile Re: Wireless Router - Tiscali

Many Thanks
This router is reccomended by tiscali http://www.tiscali.dslshop.co.uk/det...?idProduct=864 hope tht helps
Old 24-August-2008, 15:16
Sm1th93

This router is reccmended by tiscali and if u are new 2 tiscali and u want to go wireless u get the router free http://www.tiscali.dslshop.co.uk/det...?idProduct=864
Old 17-December-2009, 19:12
michegriff

Unhappy Re: Wireless Router - Tiscali

my tiscali installation disc wont finish loading, i'm connected to the internet but i want to set up wireless. can anyone suggest anything
Old 18-December-2009, 11:28
Optimistic Curmudgeon

my tiscali installation disc wont finish loading, i'm connected to the internet but i want to set up wireless. can anyone suggest anything
Originally Posted by michegriff View Post
Short of giving us a lot more information about whether you have a BB wifi router or wifi relay point, which ISP you're with, whether your 'puter is wifi enabled, which OS yo use and your inside leg measurement.......I doubt it.

Old 18-December-2009, 15:30
Austin_KW

Originally Posted by michegriff View Post
Most of us use the "installation discs" as a coaster. They are usually slow & install a lot of crudware on you PC. Just tell us the make and model of the router and someone will show you how to setup wireless using a web browser.
But; The router config pages are usually located at one of
http://192.168.1.1
http://192.168.1.254
http://192.168.0.1
http://192.168.2.1
Username is usually "admin"
Password is usually blank/empty or "admin" or "password" or a forgot my password wizard.

Just find the wireless settings page
Change the SSID/network name to something easily recognisable like michegriffNet
Set the Security/encryption to WPA, WPA-TKIP or WPA1/WPA2
Set a wireless key/password 8+ characters but the longer the better
Hit save/apply

Then just find your easily recognisable wireless network from your Laptop, select connect and enter the key/password.

Tags
2wire, adsl, belkin, broadband, bt, bundled, cable, computer, connection, dhcp, dns, free, home, internet, isp, key, lag, laptop, make, modem, netgear, network, router, security, settings, share, sharing, slow, tiscali, tiscali broadband, web, wireless, xbox