Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Games

Old 09-November-2005, 17:45
Safe Sane Consensual

Default World of Warcraft Addiction

On Radio 2 today Jeremy Vine had a psychologist and representative from a software company discuss game addiction in relation to World of Warcraft.

A number of viewer rang in to give devastating accounts of the effect of this game on their own lives of their family members.

Is this game particularly addictive- what do fellow Screamers think?

Here's what one addict has written on CNet World of Warcraft Addiction
Old 10-November-2005, 11:45
Professor Yaffle

Default Re: World of Warcraft Addiction

On Radio 2 today Jeremy Vine had a psychologist and representative from a software company discuss game addiction in relation to World of Warcraft.

A number of viewer rang in to give devastating accounts of the effect of this game on their own lives of their family members.

Is this game particularly addictive- what do fellow Screamers think?
Originally Posted by Worldlife
Computer games have always had that effect, I can remember playing manic miner for hours every night on my ZX Spectrum when I was at school, then later 'Planetoid' (Defender clone) and 'Elite' on my BBC Micro. Didn't stop me getting 10 O levels, 3 A levels, 2 S levels, through university and getting a job which I have held for over 14 years.

The newer MMORPGs (of which WoW is one of the most recent) that have come onto the scene over the last 6 years or so are different as they are much larger in scope, so you will never explore all the content no matter how much you plat, plus being online there is a large degree of social interaction which can be just as much of a draw as playing the game itself.

WRT WoW, a lot of people I know who bought it, got to level 60, found there was no raid based endgame to speak of, gave up and returned to Everquest.
Old 10-November-2005, 14:56
Safe Sane Consensual

Ah - nostalgic memories of "Elite" and "Captain Blood" and also Jeff Minters games on the Atari ST (or was it earlier than that?)
Old 05-February-2006, 04:14
socca2me

I definitely agree it is addicting. I've had so many friends glued to their screens...haven't seen this since starcraft back in the dormitories back in the day.
I am forwarding this link to them all right now!
THanks!
Old 05-February-2006, 22:15
Screamager

Reading that, makes me realise something...

Soon doing my GCSE's and what have i learnt in the last 2 years? (yr.10/11.)

Not a flipping lot, Why?

Because i don't do homework and spend my time on the computer.
On MSN and playing games.

Why am i telling you this, ummmmmm good question...

Last edited by sweaty_bob; 22-February-2006 at 00:33.
Old 05-June-2006, 11:29
Kurg

WRT WoW, a lot of people I know who bought it, got to level 60, found there was no raid based endgame to speak of, gave up and returned to Everquest.
Originally Posted by onomatopoeia
Well WoW endgame is 100% raiding so I don't know where they got the idea of "no raid based endgame"

Back to the topic, yes WoW can be highly addictive - I realised that that was why I was playing shortly before I quit. I wasn't enjoying playing, but was playing anyway

The problem is it becomes almost like work, you keep feeling that you have to put that extra bit of effort in so that you can get that extra weapon or that extra bit of armour or that 1 more boss killed. The further you get into the game the more "grinding" you have to do (things like health potions, mana buffs etc) to get further

It starts to soak up much of your time and for some people it can start to get in the way of Real Life (tm) - I polayed a lot, but there were people who made me look like a lightweight. Some spent roughly half their lives playing WoW (and I don't mean just half of their WAKING lives)

It was when these realisations hit in that I quit - I didn't want to become one of those people
Old 30-June-2006, 21:09
VTech_Nullified

World of warcraft has kept me occupied since beta....so i think its been close to 2 years now.

for the entire first year i played the game non stop and it took away most of my life!

However last month i realised how rubbish the game actually is, raid....raid.....scream at noobs.....raid....raid realised this game has cost me hundereds of pounds....and then i cancel the account after its cost me a fortune.
Old 29-November-2006, 12:14
cyber_spy2000

i like my video games, and i've heard of how addictive WoW is. thats probably why i stayed away from it! this was mostly to do with not destroying my uni life, but i did come across this 10 day free trial, and who can resist that!

so anyway, no-one saw me for the next 10 days, i neglected my girlfriend, and i can count the amount of showers i had on one hand! was it worth it? HELL YEA! but after the 10 days were over, after the initial sheer annoyance and cravings u get to play a game (u know what i'm talking about) i realised that buying the game would be a serious mistake. even though i loved it, i could see it taking over my life. maybe i'm being a bit melodramatic, but meh.....

but anyway, i'm done with uni and now WoW is REALLY cheap, AND the expansion is coming out, so i'm tempted to get it......

see u in azeroth!!
Old 12-December-2006, 19:42
CTM_paranoid

Thumbs down Re: World of Warcraft Addiction

thats one of the reasons ive never bought it or played it
i pay for my broadband
so why should i pay to play WoW
when there are lots more games out there that are better and dont charge you for playing online

ADDICTION to what may i ask

Last edited by CTM_paranoid; 12-December-2006 at 20:04.
Old 07-February-2011, 14:27
mike54

i personnaly think that anything can be addictive just different is if its a healthy addictions or not, cause if it dosent cause any problems then why stop but when it becomes unhealthy thats when it need to get checked out like theres romoured to peopl that have died because of wow cause they didnt eat or sleep or even go to the toilet because they are too fixed on the game now i dont know if thats true or just a load of crap
Old 11-June-2012, 20:50
Screamer

My bf is pretty addicted to this
and now there's diablo

Tags
bad, bbc, broadband, company, compare, computer, email, free, happy, health, home, line, lost, make, mobile, online, opinion, player, product, software, talk, xmas