Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > AOL

Old 21-October-2004, 11:06
johnAOL

Default Re: AOL Networking How-To

Hello,

Just to inform you - We now also support the Netgear DG834 & Netgear DG834G (wireless dg834 with 802.11g standards) routers alongside the thomson speedtouch 510 (wired), 545 (wired with ability to upgrade to wireless) and 570 (wireless) routers.

As far as the settings go for networking with AOL, please take the following into consideration if you are using a non-supported router. The router must support PPPoA. VPI & VCI are 0 & 38.

Some routers need to have an MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) setting defined. We recommend that this is set to 1400.

John.
Old 21-October-2004, 11:21
johnAOL

Hi does AOL Silver work with networking?
I have 2 PC's networked at the moment, and i'm using bt dial up, both pc's connect to the net with the dial up, with settings just configured in the modem setup etc.

the AOL site decalres
"Home networking is not available with AOL Broadband Silver."

though i think it will probably still work... though they dont support it... am i correct??

Thanks
Originally Posted by deepest_purple
It is possible to connect anything through a router - the reason why we do not support the Silver service & networking is because sharing a 256k connection between two systems would be somewhat slow.

We just don't allow 2 screen names to be on at the same time on Silver unfortunately.. That is the main reason why.
Old 04-December-2004, 12:49
Hammy_3007

Default Re: AOL Networking-Wireless Network with NTL AOL Connection

Hi ,
I've purchased a KLG-575 Wirless Router to enable a number of technologies.
1) Linking to Internet via my laptop over wireless connection
2) Provide access to laptop from Desk top
3) Provide access to desktop from Laptop
4) Provide printer sharing facilities via desktop to laptop

My ISP is AOL (unfortunately) with whom I have an Broadband Link via NTL Cable set up.

I find that if I plug in AOL Broadband 200 device via the Ethernet Connection to the WAN connection of the KLG575 then it is not found by the Desktop AOL connection ... plugging it into standard ethernet connection on KLG575 means I can connect to the internet via AOL software.

Does anybody have any suggestions for how can get my laptop to connect to the internet via the connection please

Ta
Big Dave
Old 05-December-2004, 19:04
jeznh

Hi,

New to the site and new to Broadband and pc's

If someone could help

I have a laptop and 2 pc's in which 1 pc is connected to AOL broadband silver.

Can I connect all 3 together and connect to AOL

I am just getting confused by reading other posts and thought I'll ask the question.
All pc's and Laptop are windows xp and it would be nice to be able to share the printer aswell.
Cheers
Jeznh
Old 10-January-2005, 16:55
t_probets

It is possible to connect anything through a router - the reason why we do not support the Silver service & networking is because sharing a 256k connection between two systems would be somewhat slow.

We just don't allow 2 screen names to be on at the same time on Silver unfortunately.. That is the main reason why.
Originally Posted by johnAOL
Okay, can someone clarify this. My girlfriends parents have AOL silver (or Gay O L ) as i like to call it. Anyway, im about to get the netgear DG834G wireless router to share the pc and laptop they have. Now i gather that only one AOL user can be logged on at a time but this will work with AOL silver. Correct? So what if the other user tries using IE to connect will it share the open connection? (if that makes sense)
Old 10-January-2005, 19:04
fcubos

new to this is it possible to network 2 pc useing a crossover cable? rather than a router,am on aol gold.1 pc running xp other me,many thx in advance.
Old 22-January-2005, 14:16
Alnath

Using a router is the best and most stable way, it also means you do not need the main PC on to share the connection
Old 22-January-2005, 14:18
Alnath

Okay, can someone clarify this. My girlfriends parents have AOL silver (or Gay O L ) as i like to call it. Anyway, im about to get the netgear DG834G wireless router to share the pc and laptop they have. Now i gather that only one AOL user can be logged on at a time but this will work with AOL silver. Correct? So what if the other user tries using IE to connect will it share the open connection? (if that makes sense)
Originally Posted by t_probets
Networking is not available with AOL silver.
Old 31-January-2005, 17:58
jjreger03

Cool Re: AOL Networking How-To

Ok.. if you want to weed through thousands of webpages and piece tons of info together please do... But if you are looking for a solution to you AOL with your BT voyager aDSL modem hanging and then having to restart but getting caught up by "saving your settings"... Well here is you solution..

Tons of webpages will tell you that you cannot access AOL through VPN.. well... thats a load of it.. AOL will now let you access them through VPN.. so you do not have to open their bulky, buggy, BAD program they call 9.0 or whatever else you have. All these instruction are in XP, but should still be similar.

All you need to do it:
1.) Go to Start, Control Panel, Network Connections.
2.) select "Create new connection" then select "next"
3.) select "Connect to a network at my Workplace" then select "next"
4.) select "Virtual Private Network Connection" then select "next"
5.) Type in "AOL" then select "next"
6.) check "Automatically Dial..." and then select AOL then select "next"
7.)Where it says "host name or IP..." Type in "aol.co.uk" (for the UK users) and "aol.com" (for US)then select "next"
8.)Then you are going to want to have this handy so check "add a shortcut to my desktop" and then select Finish.

Wala We are done.. now all you do is double click it.. enter your screenname and password Click "connect" and shazzam! all the broadband you need is at your fingertips waiting to be tickled!

Just to top off that little cupcake we have one more cherry for you guys.. If you still need on there to check you mail, ah ha! you dont fire up that never been used Microsoft out look and read and heed the following website!

http://help.channels.aol.com/article...ticleId=217453

No Don't say I never gave ya anything.

Jeremy
Old 01-February-2005, 21:37
Cliff

I am on AOL broadband (and am happy with it!) using a ADSL router and was interested in reading the previous comments as I cannot access some sites. But how do I amend my MTU? Also the computer that is 'remote' cannot use the printer (I have told it to share!). Any ideas on that one?

Cliff
Old 10-February-2005, 14:29
RobAnt

Just a clarification for some people who have routers that don't sport an MTU option.

If your router has a "TCP MS" setting instead, you can set that 40 lower than 1400 - ie 1360. It will have the same effect.

Solwise' W-BIG routers fall into this category.
Old 16-February-2005, 09:38
eepsycoco

I have AOL Broadband Silver and am using a BT voyager 105 modem.
I have recently bought an ibook and would like to run both computers from the same account. I am willing to up grade to AOL gold if necessary.
What is the EASIEST way of doing this and what do I need. I have received some partial and conflicting information.
Thanks
Old 20-February-2005, 19:40
fives

AOL apparently don`t support home networking for Cable customers -

I still want to access my broadband connection from another computer in the house, so as an alternative would unplugging the Modem USB connection from Computer A and using a USB extension cable from the AOL Cable Broadband Modem to connect to Computer B work, if Computer B also has AOLsoftware installed and I use my existing username and password? I realise that I couldn`t use both PCs at the same time, but its better than nothing. I think I need to use active USB extension Cables up to max of 15 metres. Would it work? has anyone tried this?
Old 24-February-2005, 19:11
silverizla

Default same old story...

Hi,

usual thing, can't browse outside the AOL browser (msn messenger wont log in either). Tried all your suggestions... my etec conexant router diagnostic test page fails here : Test PPPoPvc 0 IP connect to PPP (the one above , the layer one passes). The prob is that it only works if the username is ISUR_AOLDSL@americaonline.aol.com, as soon as i enter my username@aol.com and my password which is less than 8 characters it wont work, impossible to connect, everything fails (i set the mtu to 1400, I'm telling you, i did everything). Any suggestions, cos i'm starting to blame it on AOL...

Alex
Old 24-February-2005, 19:41
Alnath

I have AOL Broadband Silver and am using a BT voyager 105 modem.
I have recently bought an ibook and would like to run both computers from the same account. I am willing to up grade to AOL gold if necessary.
What is the EASIEST way of doing this and what do I need. I have received some partial and conflicting information.
Thanks
Originally Posted by eepsycoco

Just buy a router and follow the instuctions at the start of this thread AOL dont support networking on AOL Silver but by that they mean they dont offer technical support.
Old 24-February-2005, 19:47
Alnath

Default Re: same old story...

Hi,

usual thing, can't browse outside the AOL browser (msn messenger wont log in either). Tried all your suggestions... my etec conexant router diagnostic test page fails here : Test PPPoPvc 0 IP connect to PPP (the one above , the layer one passes). The prob is that it only works if the username is ISUR_AOLDSL@americaonline.aol.com, as soon as i enter my username@aol.com and my password which is less than 8 characters it wont work, impossible to connect, everything fails (i set the mtu to 1400, I'm telling you, i did everything). Any suggestions, cos i'm starting to blame it on AOL...

Alex
Originally Posted by silverizla
MRU at 1400 also?
Try a password at 8 not less than
router set to PPPoA VC-Mux
Old 24-February-2005, 20:19

Default Re: same old story...

if still no good make sure the router has the latest firmware - sometimes helps ?!

Sil
Old 25-February-2005, 20:08
jjreger03

http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/s...617#post153617

Might wanna check this out...
Old 26-February-2005, 14:49
silverizla

Thanks very much guys, i managed to make IE and msn work. How? well, first thing is that before posting my question, i had changed the mru and the mtu to 1400 and all the things that you had suggested in your forum, but 2 things were missing:

had to enable the DMZ in the misc config and enter my internal IP 10.0.0.x

2nd: you were right, with an exactly 8 char. password it worked. less or more it didnt!

you are great guys.

thanks from alex and julie, my flatmate.

to those who have problems with aol and router, keep the faith, cos it took me 5 days and loads of googling and loads of the-screaming to make it happen! i'm not an IT person at all! but i managed, sure you will as well!

thanks again the-scream!
Old 11-March-2005, 15:42
cherrybomb

HELP!!!! I was going to post this as a seperate topic but thought I'd better stick it here.

I have set up a Belkin ADSL Router with my PC via ethernet cable, and a laptop via wireless 802.11g. After hours of trying I managed to get the PC connected to the net, but MSN and other things werent working. I changed the MTU to 4000, and it is all now working fine. The laptop has an excellent signal when connected to the network, but I cant get it to connect to the net. Why is this? Why could I get the internet connection on the PC but not the laptop? What AOL settings should I use to get the internet working on the laptop as well? If I could remember what I did to the PC to get the net connection to work it would help! Anyone know? I'm on Gold so should be allowed to connect from 2 different accounts.

Thank You

P.S. Laptop network says that there is limited or no connectivity, although it says that it is connected to the network with full 54MB/s service. HELP!!!

HELP!!!!

Last edited by cherrybomb; 11-March-2005 at 22:30.
Old 13-March-2005, 12:13
RobAnt

Just buy a router and follow the instuctions at the start of this thread AOL dont support networking on AOL Silver but by that they mean they dont offer technical support.
Originally Posted by Alnath
I can't determine whether or not AOL Silver offers multiple screennames (I don't have AOL, and it isn't exactly clear on their website).

However, if they don't, you can still use an ADSL router. Simply DO NOT install the AOL software, and use your standard Browser (for most people this is Internet Explorer) instead.

Your Router should be programmed with your screen-name.

You'll be always connected, and you can surf to AOLs web site to view your emails and other services.
Old 13-March-2005, 12:14
RobAnt

HELP!!!! I was going to post this as a seperate topic but thought I'd better stick it here.

I have set up a Belkin ADSL Router with my PC via ethernet cable, and a laptop via wireless 802.11g. After hours of trying I managed to get the PC connected to the net, but MSN and other things werent working. I changed the MTU to 4000, and it is all now working fine. The laptop has an excellent signal when connected to the network, but I cant get it to connect to the net. Why is this? Why could I get the internet connection on the PC but not the laptop? What AOL settings should I use to get the internet working on the laptop as well? If I could remember what I did to the PC to get the net connection to work it would help! Anyone know? I'm on Gold so should be allowed to connect from 2 different accounts.

Thank You

P.S. Laptop network says that there is limited or no connectivity, although it says that it is connected to the network with full 54MB/s service. HELP!!!

HELP!!!!
Originally Posted by cherrybomb
Change MTUs in your Router setup to 1400 or less. That shoud resolve your error. Return your PCs to their default settings.
Old 13-March-2005, 14:48
cherrybomb

Sorry when I said I've changed the MTU's to 4000 I meant 1400. It seems that the laptop has good reception, but it says it has limited or no connectivity. When I click repair it says that it was unable to renew the IP address. Anyone?

Follow up: I have automatically been assigned a 169. IP address. I have done release and renew, but it says it is unable to contact the DHCP. I hve tried pinging, and that doesnt work. My desktop PC is connected to the router and wors fine. Please help!

Last edited by cherrybomb; 13-March-2005 at 16:17.
Old 13-March-2005, 16:13
ormus55

re the aol silver service.
you can have up to 5 screen names, but u must set them as master names, (no parental controls) otherwise they cannot access via the router.
Old 16-March-2005, 03:31
ormus55

re the origo 8400 router.
ive just changed it to the rj45 connection/nic card, and reset the mtu/mru to 1472 and the mss at 1432.
works even better.
Old 03-April-2005, 13:35
fatbaldingoldgit

Ok guys..I'm trying to access AOL as I did last year using a BT Voyager 50 USB ADSL modem without going through the AOL 9 client.

I used to be able to do this but now whenever I enter my screename@aol.com and password into the sign-on scren of my modem I always get an 691 error....either my userID or password is incorrect in the domain.

My user id is in ower case..It's the same master that I use going thorugh the aol client. My password is 8 characters long in lower case.

I've tried many different variations on this but still get the 691 error.

It's driving me nuts..Any ideas?..Do I need to enter a domain name? and if so what is it?..../David
Old 03-April-2005, 14:08
Screamager

So the screen name works OK in the AOL software but not in the Modem settings.

From a few sites that I have just looked at, many say that using the same Master screen name for the AOL software and the Modem will not work, either create a new Screen name for the AOL software and use the Master for the Modem, or vise versa.

Worth a try.
Old 03-April-2005, 16:08
fatbaldingoldgit

Thanks for that...yep in desperation I created a new master screename and tried that but still the same error 691..../David
Old 20-April-2005, 18:54
jibber

basically install the bt voyager 205 software by right clicking on your cd drive and then click explore and then click utils, in there you will find a setup file,double click on this and thism will install the usb software to make the router work.

next once the router has been installed it will ask you to connect the usb cable to the router, do this and it will go through a few more steps.

after completing this if you go to 192.168.1.1 via internet explorer you clcik disconnect and then you can put you username in and password (eg) jibber@aol.com, jibster

so when you turn your pc on you will automatically have internet connection,

peter
Old 21-April-2005, 22:43
Solomon

If you're getting 691 errors, phone AOL and get them to change your password. Its worked several times for me.

Tags
123, aol, belkin, broadband, bt, cards, computer, connection, dg834g, home, internet, line, make, modem, netgear, network, offer, phone, port, router, screen, security, software, speed, speedtouch, trojan, virus, voyager, wireless, zyxel