Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > AOL

Old 28-November-2005, 13:53
Scrimper

Default Re: AOL Networking How-To

Sorry I meant to say I ordered these products from amazon because I think people round ere have used them for AOL

Items:

* 1 of: Belkin 802.11g Wireless USB 2.0 Network Adapter
* 1 of: Netgear DG834 ADSL Modem, Router with 4-port 10/100 Mbps switch

What do you think and is it easy to setup?
Originally Posted by adammcg
Lol I am in the clear then!
A part dropped from the workbench will roll to a degree of un-reachability proportional to its importance.
Old 28-November-2005, 13:56
Scrimper

ATM I am using the Netgear DG834GT wireless router it's great!
A part dropped from the workbench will roll to a degree of un-reachability proportional to its importance.
Old 28-November-2005, 14:20
adammcg

right, I'm sorted then. How do I edit the router MTU settings when I get it? And I know how to connect it to my PC but I am also connecting it to my MAC which has airport extreme built in, but I don't think its a problem.
Old 28-November-2005, 15:34
Optimistic Curmudgeon

right, I'm sorted then. How do I edit the router MTU settings when I get it? And I know how to connect it to my PC but I am also connecting it to my MAC which has airport extreme built in, but I don't think its a problem.
Originally Posted by adammcg

Just follow the installation instructions which come with the router

widrtbi.
Old 01-December-2005, 13:38
Terry01234

I'm fed up, of my wired network. and been told by parents its got to go

So i wondered, if you could tell me what i need for a wireless network?

I have 1 desktop, and 1 laptop i would like to connect
Old 01-December-2005, 19:08
adammcg

Got my wireless kit today from Amazon - all working! It was easy to set up, just set it on auto detect and changed the MTU to 1400 and the user and pass to my AOL. Great, thanks guys.
Old 18-December-2005, 15:16
phoenix47

I am an AOL Silver customer, and by visiting this thread I now know that I can create a home network.

But I need to know how because this is completely new territory to me, so a step-by-step guide would be much appreciated.

I'm getting a Netgear DG834 modem/router with a USB adapter.

The router will be connected to the new computer I recently got (currently not connected to internet) via ethernet cable, and the computer that I am using now will be connected via the USB adapter.

Again, I'm a complete n00b, go easy...
Old 18-December-2005, 16:53
Mark unplugged

Phoenix,
I'm just going through the same process.
In the large thread below, there is some replies to my Q's about installation.
I also went to aolhelp (livehelp) and they emailed me a 7 page step by step guide with thumbnails, looks easy peasy.
It does appear that my router is faulty though (just fresh out of the box - DOH!)
Hope that helps.

Mark.
Old 20-December-2005, 13:03
phoenix47

*dances*

After 90 mins of work I managed to set up the wireless network and have it connected to 2 desktops. I'm very happy, I've been dreading this for about 2 weeks.

One thing though, I've read a lot about having to set the MTU and MRU to 1400. Now when setting up the router I came across one of these (I think it was MTU) and set it to 1400. I haven't came across the second one, but everything seems to work fine.
I'm actually typing this message from the computer connected with the USB adapter AND I can browse the internet without using the god-awful AOL 9.0 software.

Also, the Netgear DG834G has an in-built firewall doesn't it?

Thanks to all that helped.
Old 21-December-2005, 11:19
Mark unplugged

[QUOTE=phoenix47]*dances*

After 90 mins of work I managed to set up the wireless network and have it connected to 2 desktops. I'm very happy, I've been dreading this for about 2 weeks.

Lucky you.
I simply can't get my router (same netgear) to get an asdl light to come on.
Old 22-December-2005, 19:57
Gixer

Just like to say thanks to all the posters here, great help.

I have Tiscal ISP at home and set up wireless networking with one desktop and up to 4 laptops ages ago with a 3COM wireless modem router ages ago, It was a breese to set-up. No probs at all.

This week I decided to do the same at my girlfriends house. Again with a 3Com unit as I was familier with it, Tip 35 off Ebay, anyway, what a nightmare. Yup she's on AOL Silver !!!

No help from AOL, they just told be she had to upgrade to the Gold service, from Silver. No way, I would have canceled & gone elsewhere 1st !!!

Then I found this place and what a great help, thanks guys, much apreciated. You made it a doddle.

One thing, the MTU does not need to be changed 1454 is fine. And make sure the settings on the router indicate that the ISP asigns the IP address automaticaly, I got stuck on this one for ages, almost gave up, then thankfully I spotted it.

Cheers again
Darren
Old 22-December-2005, 21:09
Scrimper

One thing, the MTU does not need to be changed 1454 is fine.
Originally Posted by Gixer
Can I just say that it will work if you don't change it to 1400, but you may find that some sites will not work such as Hotmail or Yahoo or even Aol's page, it does vary but many sites will work but TBH it is better to change and it is often quicker!
Old 23-December-2005, 10:22
Gixer

OK Druid, thanks for the correction.

it's still working LOL !!!!
Old 23-December-2005, 10:55
Scrimper

OK Druid, thanks for the correction.

it's still working LOL !!!!
Originally Posted by Gixer
Sorry I didn't mean it to sound like a correction! It's just that mine worked ok until I tried to get Hotmail and a few other sites, changing MTU to 1400 corrected this and also speeded things up in general.
Old 28-December-2005, 21:58
Quixeh

Righteo,

ADSL Modem/Router: Belkin F5D7231uk4

I'm currently trying to set up my mates new wired and wireless network... problem of course comes with the internet sharing over the two PCs when using AOL. Oh joy.

So after reading your guide, the only thing I can see that I haven't done is the MTU etc. rates of 1400. However, the router IS connected to the net, the computers are connected to the net, but its still not working!

Right ok at this point I have to look at all the people who are opening their mouths and saying "Wtf is this noobie on about?!". I have experiance with networks and I can get them working fine, the current network is working Ok, just the internet acess is the problem. I think it might be something to do with the DNS (after using MSN Messengers connection tool, the DNS failed...) So I guess I would like to know how the **** I tell the computers what the DNS server is? Is it a router setting or? I've also tried connecting via the software... but A) It doesn't recognise a LAN device.. and B) It doesn't get past stage 1, If i set a proxy as the Router is gets to stage 2 then complains about a firewall, and my router logs a blocked connection but the firewall is turned off on it.

The other thing it, AOL doesn't seem to appear as a normal internet connection... which just ****es me off.

Anywho, Any of you AOL wizzards could give me a hand... point out what I might be doing wrong..
Old 29-December-2005, 01:19
Optimistic Curmudgeon

I think most of the instructions for setting up a modem/router WITHOUT using the AOL software are contained in this and the networking forums...just have a wee read through, I'm sure you'll get there
Old 29-December-2005, 11:35
Scrimper

Right ok at this point I have to look at all the people who are opening their mouths and saying "Wtf is this noobie on about?!". I have experiance with networks and I can get them working fine, the current network is working Ok, just the internet acess is the problem. I think it might be something to do with the DNS (after using MSN Messengers connection tool, the DNS failed...) So I guess I would like to know how the **** I tell the computers what the DNS server is? Is it a router setting or? I've also tried connecting via the software... but A) It doesn't recognise a LAN device.. and B) It doesn't get past stage 1, If i set a proxy as the Router is gets to stage 2 then complains about a firewall, and my router logs a blocked connection but the firewall is turned off on it.

The other thing it, AOL doesn't seem to appear as a normal internet connection... which just ****es me off.
Originally Posted by Quixeh
You probably know more about networks than me but it is important to allow the router to obtain it's own IP details, AFAIAA if you set them on the pc's as you normally do with networking it won't work properly, Mine is a Netgear DG834Gt but I expect it is set up in a similar way to a belkin, All I did was-:

Set Networking to obtain an IP address automatically, same for DNS server.

Run the set up wizard and select AOL as the isp if it has one (this takes care of most settings).

Enter your Aol screen name in full such as Quixeh@aol.c*m plus your password.

Check the MTU and change it to 1400 if necessary. (sometimes you have to change the MTU setting on the PC but most find it is unnecessary)

It is best to create another Aol screen name just for thge router.

Once you have it running you will find no difference to any other ISP and you won't need Aol software if you don't want it.
Old 29-December-2005, 15:09
Quixeh

Right, i've tried that, and the BT MTU utility, and so far nop joy. heres my current settings, blanked out the screen name.

Connection Detail Status
ADSL Pass
PPPoE Pass
ppp Pass
IP Ping Pass
DNS Fail
OAM F4-ETE Ping Fail
OAM F4-SEG Ping Fail
OAM F5-ETE Ping Pass
OAM F5-SEG Ping Pass

Device Name: ppp0
Network: WAN
Underlying Device: WAN DSL
Connection Type: PPPoA
IP Address: 172.216.153.8
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway: 81.145.241.65
DNS Server: 205.188.146.145
User Name: ****@aol.com
VPI.VCI: 0.38
Received Packets: 104
Sent Packets: 157

As I say, it passes the tests apart from DNS and is connected using not the 1st account made, but the main one. Any ideas?
Old 29-December-2005, 16:05
Quixeh

ok after two days its fixed:

Solution: I manually entered another ISP's DNS server that I found on the web, solving the DNS problems,
And I was still not able to get through... reason? Blocked ports from AOL software. Had to stop the service using Admins tools.

*edit* Now i'm home.. thinking about it....

I pinged the AOL DNS server the router was trying to use earlier:

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\Me>ping 205.188.146.145

Pinging 205.188.146.145 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 172.18.127.170: TTL expired in transit.

Ping statistics for 205.188.146.145:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
Makes me wonder.

Last edited by Quixeh; 29-December-2005 at 16:50. Reason: Adding Ping Info for the AOL DNS Server.
Old 03-January-2006, 00:53
Indeedee

Smile Re: AOL Networking How-To

Thanks for your help setting up 2 types of aol silver networks "crossover" + "wireless" using dg834gt easy as spelling your screen name correctly oh and wan/mtu setting
Old 24-January-2006, 13:41
Jimborobbo

AAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Hiya Folks, here's little old me searching for some words of wisdom.... The story so far...

Relatively happy AOL Silver customer using BT 105 modem. Silly b#gger fancies the idea of a wireless set up to allow oneself the privilege to sit in the garden in the warm summer months listening to the sweet song.... etc....

The foolish boy purchases a Belkin 7632 ADSL Router and in an effort to simplify the process first attempts to basically replace the BT device with the new Router. No network as yet, just XP PC, Router and hard wired network connection... What could be simpler???!!

And then it all goes to rats... I've run the Wizard connection and according to the Router status page, everything connected just fine.... Try telling IE that. No joy whatsoever. I've disabled the Firewall software on the desktop, followed the kind advice of a fellow Forum member and stopped AOL Connection device on startup but still nothing. Really rather frustrating as I've no doubt you can imagine!

Below is a summary of my Router status page. ANY help would be most gratefully received and there might just be a Mars bar for the clever girl or boy who finally identifies the error of my ways!

Device name: ppp0
Underlying device: WAN DSL
IP Address: 172.213.56.31
Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway: 81.145.240.43
Username: **********@ aol.com (new name, master etc...)
Received packets: 34 (perhaps a bomb would be handy too...)
Sent packets: 38
MTU: 1400

All IP settings set to automatic

Connection Detail
ADSL - Pass
PPPoE - Pass
ppp - Pass
IP Ping - Pass
DNS - FAIL
OAM F4-ETE Ping - FAIL
OAM F4-SEG Ping - FAIL
OAM F5-ETE Ping - Pass
OAM F5-SEG Ping - Pass

PS. Tried PPPoA and E and doesn't seem to make a difference, also tried VCmux and LLC but neither makes diddly-squats worth of difference...

Any ideas my dear Geniuses of the world!!
Old 24-January-2006, 17:46
Quixeh

Well can't really think of much else. Could you send me a screen shot of your services list in a PM? I can't remember exactly which ones they were that I had to stop. try setting your DNS to a new one, and try totally uninstalling AOL software.
Old 24-January-2006, 18:27
Optimistic Curmudgeon

AAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Hiya Folks, here's little old me searching for some words of wisdom.... The story so far...

Relatively happy AOL Silver customer using BT 105 modem. Silly b#gger fancies the idea of a wireless set up to allow oneself the privilege to sit in the garden in the warm summer months listening to the sweet song.... etc....

The foolish boy purchases a Belkin 7632 ADSL Router and in an effort to simplify the process first attempts to basically replace the BT device with the new Router. No network as yet, just XP PC, Router and hard wired network connection... What could be simpler???!!

And then it all goes to rats... I've run the Wizard connection and according to the Router status page, everything connected just fine.... Try telling IE that. No joy whatsoever. I've disabled the Firewall software on the desktop, followed the kind advice of a fellow Forum member and stopped AOL Connection device on startup but still nothing. Really rather frustrating as I've no doubt you can imagine!

Below is a summary of my Router status page. ANY help would be most gratefully received and there might just be a Mars bar for the clever girl or boy who finally identifies the error of my ways!

Device name: ppp0
Underlying device: WAN DSL
IP Address: 172.213.56.31
Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway: 81.145.240.43
Username: **********@ aol.com (new name, master etc...)
Received packets: 34 (perhaps a bomb would be handy too...)
Sent packets: 38

All IP settings set to automatic

Connection Detail
ADSL - Pass
PPPoE - Pass
ppp - Pass
IP Ping - Pass
DNS - FAIL
OAM F4-ETE Ping - FAIL
OAM F4-SEG Ping - FAIL
OAM F5-ETE Ping - Pass
OAM F5-SEG Ping - Pass

PS. Tried PPPoA and E and doesn't seem to make a difference, also tried VCmux and LLC but neither makes diddly-squats worth of difference...

Any ideas my dear Geniuses of the world!!
Originally Posted by Jimborobbo

Did you read the first post (by Alnath) in this forum, and follow the thread right through ?
Old 24-January-2006, 22:18
Jimborobbo

HUUURRRAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Success is never too far away. Finally managed to get everything working! The problem was indeed the DNS settings, who's a clever little Quixeh then!

I tried changing the settings yesterday but it made no difference, borrowed a pair from a friend and would you believe it, success first time!

Gingerly switched on the Wireless connection and my laptop was singing to the sound of Terry Wogan within minutes!

Thank you everso much for all of your help, it really is appreciated. You're all stars!

Jimbo
Old 14-February-2006, 18:02
Wedge

Hey all,

just registered. I've got a real problem with my aol software. i'm connected via a wireless network to a NETGEAR DG-834G. Our wired machine will still connect to the AOL software as will the router. However on my own machine i cannot use the actual aol software. I can still use IE and MSN Messenger plus any p2p style software and all my scanning software, ie ad-aware, still can receive updates.

When i attempt to connect to AOL it hangs at the 2nd stage - connecting via TCP/IP and after a minute comes up with an AOL error saying i should restart the machine, check the router etc. I've contacted AOL help and they're stumped!

I've virus scanned using systemsuite and used an online scanner from norton to clean my system. No viruses are now detected. I also have used both ad-aware and a2 (a squared) anti-spyware software to clean my system.

I'm not a novice with computers but i'm completely stumped now. any help you can give would be much appreciated.

thanks
Old 31-March-2006, 13:12
Kurg

AOL Silver user here - trying to set it up to work using a router instead of the BT Voyager 105 DSL Modem - so far no luck

OK I've followed the instructions in the first post carefully - even went into the modem config options to see what encapsulations it was using

the settings I'm using at the mo are:

VPI: 0
VCI: 38
Static IP: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
Gateway: 0.0.0.0

MAC Spoofing: Disabled
ATM: UBR
Encapsulation: 1483 Bridged IP LLC (Also tried just PPPoA LLC)
Bridge: Disabled
IGMP: Disabled

Service Name: AOL
Username: XXX@aol.com (also tried @aol.co.uk and just XXX)
Password: YYY
Disconnect Timeout: 0 (disabled)
MRU: 1400
MSS: 1432
Autentication: Auto
Auto Reconnect: Yes

DHCP Client Enable: Yes

I get the following status from my router

IP Address: 0.0.0.0 ( stays the same regardless of what number I put in the static IP Address box above)
Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0

The router acknowledges that there is a WAN that exists - and even detects the upload and download speeds at 288 and 576 respectively - all it seems unable to do is to properly connect to AOL and enable me to access the internet through the router - I'm lost, any suggestions?
Old 10-April-2006, 17:53
Quixeh

Erm, As far as I can remember, AOL doesn't use static IPs, so that box should be blank.

Also, UNINSTALL aol sofware on ANY PC that is connected to the router.
Old 10-July-2006, 23:20
bmwman

Hi guys ...yup youve guessed it..another newbie wanting to share thier internet connection....
ok i'm on Aol broadband gold through an NTL phone line, my question is will I be able to get to screen names on to the internet at the same time if I use a wireless router..as it seems that the master screen name has to be programmed into the router...so can I make all screen names masters or is there another way..Again Aol wont support netwoking for NTL cable lines....I was thinking what if I hang on back track...when I ordered broadband Aol got NTL to install the modem which basically was to install a cable splitter and run a cable into the splitter then two cables out ne to my setop box (for the telly) and the other to my modem...so what if I changed the 3 way splitter for a 4 way splitter and run the new cable (which is coax BTW) to the other pc and then add another modem install Aol and hey presto????would that work?...hope you understand me there, I'm not really worried about going wireless but need the screen names on at the same time...
Thanks in anticipation
Old 14-July-2006, 21:14
Kurg

I do believe that on Broadband Gold you can sign into multiple instances of the AOL software using different signin names

But if you have a modem/router then you just need to load up your browser of choice when connected to the router
Old 22-July-2006, 10:34
Quixeh

I do believe that on Broadband Gold you can sign into multiple instances of the AOL software using different signin names

But if you have a modem/router then you just need to load up your browser of choice when connected to the router
Originally Posted by Kurg View Post
Point is, why pay the extra per month when the packages are otherwise exactly the same?

Tags
123, aol, belkin, broadband, bt, cards, computer, connection, dg834g, home, internet, line, make, modem, netgear, network, offer, phone, port, router, screen, security, software, speed, speedtouch, trojan, virus, voyager, wireless, zyxel