Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Virgin Media

Old 10-January-2006, 12:07
kat04

Question Outlook 2003 & Virgin

Yesterday I loaded Outlook 2003 onto my PC and since then I can't receive incoming emails. I get an error message that read:

Task 'mail.virgin.net - Receiving' reported error (0x80042108): 'Outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (POP3) email server.'

I've had difficulties receiving mail before with Outlook Express but it only seemed to last for a few hours.

Any ideas?
Old 10-January-2006, 13:50
adie_gibson

Default Re: Outlook 2003 & Virgin

Kat ,have you checked your settings to ensure they are :-

pop.virgin.net
smtp.virgin.net

I had the same problem a while ago, Hope this may be of some help.
Old 10-January-2006, 15:58
kat04

Thanks for your help but I'm not sure what you mean. Incoming and outgoing mail are both meant to be mail.virgin.net aren't they?
Old 10-January-2006, 16:25

Cool Re: Outlook 2003 & Virgin

I know what the Virgin Help page says but unless Virgin have changed things recently then they remain as adie_gibson said:
pop.virgin.net
smtp.virgin.net
Old 10-January-2006, 17:23
adie_gibson

The thing I was referring to is that outlook express 2003 may have changed the pop settings and this is why you may be having problems. Have you checked the settings to see, I have had this problem with my Mcaffe security which changed my setting. Also have youset the outlook express 2003 to be your default setting. I have been and checked the POP settings for virgin.net and they are the same as my previous reply,So it may be worthchecking all the above.
Old 11-January-2006, 14:15
kat04

Aha, I didn't think to check security settings! Thanks for that. It's all working now, seems it was Norton blocking it shouldn't.
Old 11-January-2006, 15:08
adie_gibson

Glad to be of help , that s what we are all here for.
Old 12-January-2006, 19:42
speedtouchguru

Norton recently released an update that seems to be causing problems for a lot of ISPs.

If you get "unable to connect to remote server" or "connection to the remote server was interrupted" then the problem is usually anti-virus related.

If you get lots of timeouts "server has not responded in 60secs" then it can be the firewall.
Old 17-January-2006, 14:20
pwn*

Norton recently released an update that seems to be causing problems for a lot of ISPs.

If you get "unable to connect to remote server" or "connection to the remote server was interrupted" then the problem is usually anti-virus related.f you get lots of timeouts "server has not responded in 60secs" then it can be the firewall.
Originally Posted by speedtouchguru
Most server timeouts occur due to firewall activity but it can also be due to a large or corrupt message left behind on the mail server which quite simply, will not download.

Try using the virgin.net webmail service and once logged in, purge the Inbox folder of any such messages, log back out and retry. Usually sorts this mess out.
Old 31-January-2007, 18:37

This is a good site to check for any error messages you may get.
Most errors in Outlook and Outlook express can be resolved by deleting mail account and recreating / Disabling any Firewall, antivirus software.

http://va.zensupport.co.uk/

Tags
blocking, connection, mail, security, settings, software, speed, virgin, virus