Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > TalkTalk

Old 14-June-2006, 10:11
stattovic

Default TalkTalk and Outlook Express

Im having problems replying or sending e-mail messages using my TalkTalk account on Outlook Express rather than their cumbersome web mail.

I keep getting error messages

An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'Talk Talk', Server: 'smtp.talktalk.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '554 smtp.talktalk.net', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 554, Error Number: 0x800CCC6F

Tried contacting talktalk but like waiting for a number 10 bus ...

Can anyone advise please
Old 14-June-2006, 11:17

Default Re: TalkTalk and Outlook Express

Could it be that their web site is down?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	talkdown.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1547  
Old 14-June-2006, 12:23
stattovic

No been like that since the beginning.
Old 14-June-2006, 23:32
Quaver

Are you connecting through TalkTalk?
Old 15-June-2006, 00:12
stattovic

I assume so that is my ISP, but Im not an expert on this. I have recently cancelled my BT Connect account but still recieving some e-mails through there , in OE I have now two accounts TalkTalk and BT

Cheers
Old 15-June-2006, 11:18

Question Re: TalkTalk and Outlook Express

But who are you connecting (dialling) with, BT or TalkTalk?

If you are connecting with BT then you will not be able to send through TalkTalk (but you SHOULD be able to receive). However, if you are connected through TalkTalk then you will not be able to send through BT (but you SHOULD be able to receive). That applies to most (but not all) ISP's.
Old 15-June-2006, 11:19
Optimistic Curmudgeon

Check that the SMTP server for each of your valid email accounts is the one given to you by your current ISP. The POP mail server/s will remain those issued by any previous ISP.
E.g. youremail@btinternet may be Pop mail server pop.btinternet.com but to SEND an email via your CURRENT ISP your Smtp server will be something like SMTP.talktalk.com
Old 15-June-2006, 11:40
stattovic

I have now deleted my BTConnect account, I am connected to talktalk isp, I think, have checked the error message on Google, but still cannot send my talktal e-mails.
Old 15-June-2006, 12:21
Zer02004

Open Outlook Express.
Select Tools>>>Accounts>>>Mail>>>Properties>>>Servers.
If there is a tick in the box next to "My Server Requires Authentication"
click on "Settings" and make sure that their is a dot next to "Use Same Settings As My Incoming Mail Server".
Old 15-June-2006, 13:05
stattovic

Been there done that, sadly to no avail ...
Old 15-June-2006, 17:33
Quaver

Are you sure you are connection through TalkTalk?
Is it TalkTalk dial-up or broadband?
Is there a connection icon at the bottom right? If you double click it, what does it say?
Old 15-June-2006, 18:03
stattovic

I have a TalkTalk Broadband connection. It is connected to my telephone line which is a BT number but now using TalkTalk phone lines. I use a 2WIRE home networking network rather than the one supplied by talk talk as it works just as well.

The icon you mention shows Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection.
Old 15-June-2006, 18:12
Zer02004

Have you tried unchecking "My Server Requires Authentication"?
This is taken from the TalkTalk support area:
Email address - yourname@TalkTalk.net
Password - your chosen password
POP3 server - mail.TalkTalk.net
SMTP server - smtp.TalkTalk.net

Go here and post (Or PM me if you prefer) the IP that it reports. That way we can tell which ISP you're connecting with.
Old 15-June-2006, 19:39
stattovic

Wont let me PM you for some reason. I have done all of the above at various stages without it working. I am a bit of a non computer expert so where can I find the IP that it reports?

Many thanks for your help,
Vic
Old 15-June-2006, 20:29
Screamager

Hiya.

If you click on the here link that Zer0 posted, it willl open a new page and auto show your IP address and possibly the ISP's name.

Here is the link in full.....

http://www.netmonitor.org/tools/test.php?type=ip
Old 15-June-2006, 22:23
stattovic

Thanks for the link, strange it shows a btcentral plus isp, is that significant.

host86-142-248-60.range86-142.btcentralplus.com

Vic
Old 16-June-2006, 10:51
Screamager

Hiya.

Well I checked your IP from here and also did a trace on it, both came up as BT Central. I believe TT use Opel Communications for their supplier.

If another TT user could click on the link, to confirm what the Host is, that would be great.

It is probably why your TT mail doesnt work and BT mail does, most ISP's dont allow other ISP mail clients to send mail using their connection as said by Gem.

Here is the TalkTalk Mail setup, check that all your settings are the same as on the website, your account name replaces the one used on the site obviously.

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/s...BHELP.OUTEXPPC

Also did you change the router/modem logon details to TalkTalks, when you joined up. ?? And did you get a Welcome pack from TalkTalk of any kind, which would/should have contained all the details to logon, mail, etc.
Old 18-June-2006, 22:54
Quaver

Coming back to basics, on the Outlook Express, when you click new mail, is there a choice of "from" addresses (by clicking the arrow on right)?
Is the one you use the TalkTalk one?
Old 05-December-2006, 13:03
ginger6

did you get this sorted in the end??

if you did, can you let us know how you resolved it.....
Old 05-December-2006, 20:41
annette

I had exactly the same problem and in the end had to use the internet to provide my service.After loads of calls it still was not resolved in the end I switched to bt paid a man to come out and load the disc

UOTE=stattovic;182249]Im having problems replying or sending e-mail messages using my TalkTalk account on Outlook Express rather than their cumbersome web mail.

I keep getting error messages

An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'Talk Talk', Server: 'smtp.talktalk.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '554 smtp.talktalk.net', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 554, Error Number: 0x800CCC6F

Tried contacting talktalk but like waiting for a number 10 bus ...

Can anyone advise please[/QUOTE]
Old 06-December-2006, 03:12
TalkTalkBoy

annette, go to tools, accounts, double click the talktalk email account and then in the new window that pops up click on the servers tab. Make sure you do not have a tick in bottom two options (Logon using secure password authentication & My server requires authentication) and also on the advanced tab make sure there are no boxs ticked in here. Press ok and try again.
Old 16-December-2006, 22:55
vistor

talktalk seem to have a useless server. I can send mail but rarely recieve it3
Old 16-January-2007, 13:10
Zoe

Can anyone help? I am ex btinternet broadband user switched to Talk Talk. l want to keep my btinternet email add. I have changed the SMTP server to smtp.talktalk.net and kept the incoming server as mail.btinternet.com. No checked boxes etc.

I can receive emails but cannot send. Talk Talk help have been great - even phoning back when they said they would but we cannot fix the problem. They say could be bt will not letting other ISPs in. BT have not been able to answer the prob either saying it is Talk Talk prob! Ho hum! And round and round I go!

I have also just downloaded IE7 (yes I have the smartbridge message!) Could that have effected Outlook Express 6?
Old 19-January-2007, 00:02
Quaver

Have you chosen the BT address with talktalk smtp as your 'from' on the email you are trying to send? If you click the arrow on the right of the 'from' line, are there many addresses? Have you chosen the right one?
Old 19-January-2007, 12:55
Zoe

Thank you for thinking of that. I went to the webmail version and checked and there is only the one add on the little spinner beside 'From'. I alsos tried sending a message - but no luck!

I think it is the talktalk smtp server blocking messages with a btinternet from add. (can they do that?). The unsent message window reads 'server not responded in 60 secs.' I then get error messages which translate as server not responding. I know the server is there I 'pinged' it and the bt server.

I have talktalk security on free trial - could there be something in that stoppping the messages?

I also have work email which I access as webmail again I can receive but not send ........however......last night I found an unsecured wireless network in the neighbourhood (probably the pub at the end of the road!) I used that and work emails went but I still couldn't get anthing sent from OE.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts.
Old 24-January-2007, 11:16
kilburn-talktalk

We have a similar problem with smtp.talktalk.net not working so we cannot send emails though our talktalk broadband.

I am computer literate.

our IP ...

82-45-240-8.cable.ubr03.camd.blueyonder.co.uk
Old 24-January-2007, 12:57
Optimistic Curmudgeon

We have a similar problem with smtp.talktalk.net not working so we cannot send emails though our talktalk broadband.

I am computer literate.

our IP ...

82-45-240-8.cable.ubr03.camd.blueyonder.co.uk
Originally Posted by kilburn-talktalk View Post

How is your IP address that of Blueyonder cable if you say you're with TT BB ? TT.net IP address is 193.118.251.141 but seems to be down currently.
Old 24-January-2007, 15:39

Exclamation Re: TalkTalk and Outlook Express

Well, if he IS on Blueyonder that's why he can't send through TalkTalk!
Old 25-January-2007, 17:20
TalkTalkBoy

yup you have to be connected to a talktalk connection to send emails using the TT SMTP server.

"I am computer literate." :-)
Old 25-January-2007, 23:08
Donnellysdogs

Thumbs down Re: TalkTalk and Outlook Express

Getting exactly same problem trying to receive emails (can send ok), same error messages coming up. Had constant problems with access to emails with talktalk, have tried phong, waiting for them to contact me, and sending them queries asking them to phone me, but nothing......this has been constant in past two weeks. Have even spent 160 on a micrsoft engineer prior to this thinking that I had done stuff wrong when trying to set up 2 laptops to same netgear router. Have spent an age and fortune also talking to netgear persons-not from Uk, and they say it is talktalk.

What on earth do I try? Again, same as others I also keep geting webmail errors with my name and login. Absolutely stuffed... and very fed up, just seem to be throwing good money after bad all the time.

Is it easy to switch to another isp? Are others better?

Tags
123, bad, broadband, bt, cable, computer, connection, delay, email, free, google, hotmail, intel, internet, isp, line, mail, make, mobile, mobile phones, modem, netgear, phone, port, router, settings, slow, smtp, talk, talk talk, talktalk, tools, web, wireless