Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > TalkTalk

Old 26-January-2007, 12:32
TalkTalkBoy

Default Re: TalkTalk and Outlook Express

Maybe it would be wise to sign up to a free email service such as hotmail or yahoo to send and recieve your mail. And then.... even if you left talktalk then you can keep the email address. I dont even use my ISP's email services for this reason
Old 02-February-2007, 22:40
Zoe

Thank you for your response - looks like that is the way to go! But I have now discovered that my work email which I access as webmail at home I also cannot send only receive. Do you think this is a sign of something other than smtp? I'm deeply suspicious of OE7! If I had Yahoo would work email be sent? There are huge gaps in my IT knowledge! Thanks again!
Old 18-February-2007, 17:48
adastra

Thank you for your response - looks like that is the way to go! But I have now discovered that my work email which I access as webmail at home I also cannot send only receive. Do you think this is a sign of something other than smtp? I'm deeply suspicious of OE7! If I had Yahoo would work email be sent? There are huge gaps in my IT knowledge! Thanks again!
Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
Getting email can be a problem. Posters on other forums also complain of this.
Firstly ensure that you can log in to your mail and read it from your normal talktalk account.

Then, if you want to use outlook express the problem can often lie here.

First ensure that outlook is set up strictly according to the instructions shown
and critically that you have your password in correctly. Delete it and reset it if necessary.

Talktalk in their set up instructions tell you to put mail.talktalk.net in your pop 3 settings, this does not always work.
Some people have found that they have to set this to localhost.
Others have found that they have to set it to pop.talktalk.net
If none of these work try experimenting with other settings, try 127.0.0.1
that may help.
Old 20-February-2007, 21:00
lottin_uk

Hey there

I've been having serious problems with my TT mail in Outlook Express for the past 2 weeks. It is driving me crazy. Occassionally it would download my emails, but even that has stopped for the last 3 days!

I have read numerous threads looking for help. I have tried webmail.talktalk.net and I was able to log-on today (first time for days) but couldn't open any of the emails as I kept getting error msgs!

I have disabled email scanner and firewall settings, changed the incoming mail server from mail.talktalk.net to pop3.talktalk.net, pop.talktalk.net, localhost, and 127.0.0.1!

Still no luck, can anyone shed any light on this? This is a typical error message on my outlook express after it time out.

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.talktalk.net', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

or
The server responded with an error. Account: 'mail.talktalk.net', Server: 'mail.talktalk.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR AVG POP3 Proxy Server: Cannot connect to the mail server!', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90

Hope someone can help! Thanks
Old 20-February-2007, 22:47
The Dynamo

Hey there

The server responded with an error. Account: 'mail.talktalk.net', Server: 'mail.talktalk.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR AVG POP3 Proxy Server: Cannot connect to the mail server!', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90

Hope someone can help! Thanks
Originally Posted by lottin_uk View Post
This is exactly the same error message I have just received on my second email account, my first account was okay although it was slow.....

I think the problem is with talktalk so it's best not to alter any settings, I have my emails checked automatically every 15 minutes and I do eventually receive them.....

It's best to have two email addresses then it's possible to send an email from one to the other as a test.
Old 21-February-2007, 10:41
The Dynamo

It's best to have two email addresses then it's possible to send an email from one to the other as a test.
Originally Posted by The Dynamo View Post
Oh dear...it would appear that TalkTalk are having a little difficulty with their email system......we must be patient....

We can send emails but nothing is being returned

I sent a test to my hotmail address and it was delivered immediately but nothing has been received from my hotmail account.
Old 21-February-2007, 11:42
The Dynamo

Wonderful.....

I have just received my regular email from NYTimes.com and also the test email from my hotmail account.......

PS.....the TalkTalk email system may be a little erratic but I am still saving loads of dosh......
Old 21-February-2007, 17:38
The Dynamo

An update.....

I eventually received all my test emails through TalkTalk and Outlook Express without making any adjustments to my settings.

I also checked out TalkTalks Webmail, the test email was sent but nothing received, it's absolute pants.....a waste of space....I just don't know why they don't ditch it.....

My conclusion, if anyone requires a reliable email service then I recommend Hotmail as a backup...

I don't have any problem with my TalkTalk broadband account.
Old 05-March-2007, 21:23
a.julious@talktalk.net

hi I have same problem I rang help line cost me 10.00 I havent got a answer about it yet
ajulious
Old 16-March-2007, 13:24
fivish

Firstly dont call their tech support on 0845/0870 use 02086175974 then they cant charge you a penny!

I have been using an o2.co.uk webmail account for many years with no problems. But I cant get a talktalk.net webmail account to work.

Can anyone supply ALL the setting for Outlook Express?

I have tried setting it up as per o2.co.uk but it still wont work.
Old 16-March-2007, 16:34
The Dynamo

When I was initially having problems setting up my email accounts in Outlook Express I sent Talktalk an email and this was the reply.

I hope it helps.

Dear Mr xxxxxxxx

Thank you for your email.

Sorry for the delay in response.

If you are experiencing difficulty accessing email through a third party email client, please use the link below (scroll to the bottom) for step by step instructions for setting up of common email clients:

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/s...ELP.EMAILSETUP

If your email client is not listed, please ensure you are using the correct settings:

Incoming Mail Server: mail.talktalk.net
Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.talktalk.net

Login/username: Your full email address (i.e. joebloggs@talktalk.net)
Password: The password you created when setting up your email address.

If you are unsure of the password you created, or wish to set up more email addresses, you can do so at the Broadband Dashboard link below:
http://bbdashboard.talktalk.net/cgi-bin/login.cgi

On this site, please enter the username and password as stated on your welcome letter to log in. Once logged in you will be able to configure new email accounts and change any existing details.

Should you still be having issues, you can also access email through our webmail service at Http://webmail.talktalk.net .. simply enter your username (the part before @talktalk.net) and your password, then click Login.

In the event this does not resolve your issue, please contact a Broadband Technical Advisor on 0871 226 7146 (Calls Charged @ 10p/Min) whom will be able to assist further.

If you have any general queries, please call customer services on 0870 444 1820.

For technical queries, please contact broadband technical support on 0871 226 7146 or email broadbandsupport@talktalk.co.uk. Calls to this number are charged at 10 pence per minute (call charges may vary from mobile phones and other telecom operators).

Both of these numbers can become busy during peak periods and TalkTalk apologises for any inconvenience caused by the delays.

Glyn Harris
Broadband Support

TRACKING NUMBER: ................
Old 10-July-2007, 19:02
Greg K

Please remember to enter username@talktalk.net under UserName in Incoming Mail Server, not just username.
Greg
Old 09-October-2007, 10:47
lepeep

I've been reading all these replies...and I've just set up my OE to send through TT and receive through 123-reg.

The fundamental error that was stopping this before, was TT’s “mail.talktalk.net” as the SMTP “outgoing address… I changed it to smtp.talktalk.net and this now works…well…no errors when pressing “send and receive” … I’ve yet to see the mail appear in my test hotmail account.

Good to know that talk talk are as useless as ever in providing clear and helpful instructions.

A phonejacker might say…I am not liking your internet service providings, no sir!

peep
Old 06-November-2007, 17:28
Jeepers

this is not an error as such talktalk is probabbly having problems i get the same message sometimes just keep trying it eventually works
Old 08-November-2007, 02:30
Fedup Geoffgus

Red face Re: TalkTalk and Outlook Express

Its all just part of the Agony of the privelidge of Talky belonging !

Geoff Gus
Old 09-November-2007, 12:43
malburley

I have been using talktalk for well over a year. After initial problems with settings, it has worked reliably for last eight months. Since last Weds (14th Nov) I have been accessing internet without problem but getting access to email via Outlook Express has been hit or miss. It still is playing silly bees caused, I reckon, by the new My Account Email set up with AOL. where I have been able to access some mail but exceedingly slowly. Hopefully TT will get it sorted quickly. In the meantime I am not messing around with any of my Outlook Express settings as that will throw further spanners into the works.
Old 29-January-2008, 21:47
JB144

I am currently veiwing these pages top help a freind out.
I nearly went to Talktalk and so glad I did not. I am with BT....they do have faults but they do get resolved. It may be more expensive but you get what you pay for.
Old 06-February-2008, 22:38
migmog

Smile Re: TalkTalk and Outlook Express

You need to reduce your MTU.
I capyured some packets and discovered that talk talk server hangs up when you send packets larger than a certain size.
I found an option in my router to do this, and suddenly it started working again.

good luck
Old 07-February-2008, 21:23
george hooper

Thanks for the link, strange it shows a btcentral plus isp, is that significant.

host86-142-248-60.range86-142.btcentralplus.com

Vic
Originally Posted by stattovic View Post
I am no longer with bt and have had great difficulty in obtaining my E-mail talk talk phone billing because the link does not recognise my new address which is grbhooper@talktalk.net
Old 16-February-2008, 21:20
scutiform

I have has several of my friends who have just moved over to talktalk, having a problem accessing their email using Outlook Express. After a while, I found one thing that fixes the problem. Download Mozilla Thunderbird ( a very good [exceptional] email program) During the set-up let it copy your address book and settings from Outlook Express and you will get your emails. It feels as if there is a conflict between talktalk and Outlook
Old 05-March-2008, 18:04
cel

talktalk seem to have a useless server. I can send mail but rarely recieve it3
Originally Posted by vistor View Post
I have the same problem really annoying....talktalk have been no problem for me untill this email problem started a few months back...tbh I wouldnt be surpised if half these problems are intentional, they do make there money from over priced helpdesks...they should be investigated imo
Old 05-March-2008, 20:44
scutiform

It looks as if I was a bit premature about Mozilla fixing the problem. After a week or two of flawless emails, it started again.

Since before joining TT, I have been using Linux (Ubuntu) as my only operating system and I have not had ANY problems with web access or emails. My wife's machine is (was) Windows XP and when I installed Thunderbird, her problems went away – for a while. I had also set up Thunderbird and Firefox in several other machines because they too were on TT and having problems. Now I have been persuading all my friends to use a dual boot system of Windows and Linux Freespire.

The Freespire version looks and acts a lot like Windows Vista so it's not too much of a shock (the cd costs 3 inc postage from OnDisk in America). Keep the Windows OS because there will be some things on it that doesn't have a Linux equivalent. I don't know why the Linux versions work better on TT, after all the settings are identical, but if your system is nearly unusable under Windows, then 3 is a cheap fix.
Old 26-March-2008, 19:25
Bloobell

I have the same problem really annoying....talktalk have been no problem for me untill this email problem started a few months back...tbh I wouldnt be surpised if half these problems are intentional, they do make there money from over priced helpdesks...they should be investigated imo
Originally Posted by cel View Post
Firstly, if you have Talk Talk as your phone provider just call from home as the Helpdesk is free to Talk Talk customers

My e-mail problem was different in as much as I'm happy to use webmail at home as I'm not on e-mail so much but I wanted to use Outlook Express when in the office. Webmail works fine at home btw

I set Outlook Express up as per the instructions but no joy - e-mails coming in after a while but an error message every time when I tried to reply or send

I checked who the service provider was in my office block and it was Virgin Media, having been NTL and Telewest before that

I checked what the 'Outmail' settings have been for all three

Telewest - smtp.blueyonder.co.uk
NTL - smtp.ntlworld.com
Virgin - smtp.virgin.net

I tried Telewest first as it's a long-standing account, unchecking the 'server authentication' box and hey presto it's working like a dream now

If you too are using your Talk Talk e-mail away from your Talk Talk account (normally home I suppose) then I suggest you find out who the broadband service provider is and change the 'Outmail' settings as per the table I've linked below

http://meetings.uiuonline.org/isp.aspx

Hope this works for at least some people
Old 09-December-2008, 13:29
peter mountain

Wink Re: TalkTalk and Outlook Express

thanks for the link, strange it shows a btcentral plus isp, is that significant.

host86-142-248-60.range86-142.btcentralplus.com

vic
Originally Posted by stattovic View Post
i would like to have outlook express from talktalk
Old 19-January-2009, 20:57
atlast

Wink Re: TalkTalk and Outlook Express

Got to try (an outlook express basic repair)! it worked for me. try google:
Old 08-June-2009, 20:23
dobbomaster

Thumbs up Re: TalkTalk and Outlook Express

Have you tried unchecking "My Server Requires Authentication"?
This is taken from the TalkTalk support area:
Email address - yourname@TalkTalk.net
Password - your chosen password
POP3 server - mail.TalkTalk.net
SMTP server - smtp.TalkTalk.net

Go here and post (Or PM me if you prefer) the IP that it reports. That way we can tell which ISP you're connecting with.
Originally Posted by Zer02004 View Post
thanks this worked for me

Tags
123, bad, broadband, bt, cable, computer, connection, delay, email, free, google, hotmail, intel, internet, isp, line, mail, make, mobile, mobile phones, modem, netgear, phone, port, router, settings, slow, smtp, talk, talk talk, talktalk, tools, web, wireless