Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > AOL

Old 07-October-2008, 20:06
osram

Default Re: AOL customers + speed problems

My average speed is 50kb/s on an adsl max line of 8meg.

My best speed is 2.2 meg - prior to moving to aol 3 months ago.

This has to made into an official complaint because they are not providing the minimum speed of 212kb.s
Old 07-October-2008, 20:17
Markb

I am having the same problems tonight, worse then dial-up connection, Its been getting gradually worse since 2 weeks ago and tonight the internet is almost unusable.
Old 07-October-2008, 20:22
markb

Yeah man, up untill 2 weeks ago I was getting 6.5mb with no problems (8mb same as you). and since then its become unusable, and today its the worst ever, takes ages to load any webpage. Spent hours on the "online tech help" and they are useless. Was told by a "level 2" tech support person that i should leave the router on and wait 42-72 hours lol...
Old 07-October-2008, 21:04
thunder

My aol B.B. speeds have also drastically gone down
over the past fortnight.

today my average speed is down to about 350 kbps.

normally it is around 1800-2000 kbps
Old 07-October-2008, 21:12
Yorii

Unhappy Re: AOL customers + speed problems

I remember the good old days where i used to get max speeds but the past year or so i have gotten a pathetic 150kbs download speed max.

today however i have gotten 5kbs speed max on all downloads, speed test shows i have 400kbs speeds.

i just got off the lines with AOL and they say they are doing line tests so it will explain the poor speeds for today only but it still doesnt excuse the poor download speeds compared to what they used to run in the past before they changed to "talktalk".
Old 07-October-2008, 21:26
Chris Uk

Thumbs down Re: AOL customers + speed problems

Getting dial up speeds now. Should be on 2mb. I remember when AOL used to be good....takes me back 2/3 years back now!
Old 07-October-2008, 22:31
mikensam

I too am having the same problems, I got sucked in via the free PS3 deal and seriously regret it already (only been live for 2 days)

I have also checked with a few other users using AOL, they too get 0.1mb download speeds.

I am trying to cancel my contract at this very moment.

some that sounds too good to be true, usually is!
Old 07-October-2008, 22:33
Saeed

Just been told by AOL that this is a known problem and the engineers are fixing it as we speak.

And as I want EVERYONE on AOL to complain about this crap service they have been providing (at least in the last couple of days for me anyway) here is a normal landline number you guys cab use instead on the rip off 0844 number

Number is 0117 919 1100

Thanks
Old 07-October-2008, 22:43
mikensam

just called that number, it is aol DIAL UP technical support although they will put you through
Old 07-October-2008, 23:36
SaeedB

No its not Dial up only

Dial number given

Press 2
Press 1
Press 0
Press 1

Bingo you are through to BROADBAND support
Old 08-October-2008, 00:25
Chris Uk

Was just getting my usual speeds...for a whole 5 minutes.

Might aswell sign upto this site, I come back every few weeks with the same problem with AOL. Pathetic.
Old 08-October-2008, 08:01
Simongtt

i usually get 5mb and have had this happen only once before, all ok again this morn (well nearly as im getting 3.5mb) is it a case of AOL putting their FUP into play?!
Old 08-October-2008, 17:00
NoYa

i usually get 5mb and have had this happen only once before, all ok again this morn (well nearly as im getting 3.5mb) is it a case of AOL putting their FUP into play?!
Originally Posted by Simongtt View Post
I doubt it's the FUP, they wouldn't cap people all the way down to dial up. This is my current speed:http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/res...5439&v=5225178
And i'm not even getting that.

It's discusting that they don't even inform their customers that they are having problems. I've been with Aohell for 8 years now, and never have i had so many problems with my connection as i have these past two months.
Old 08-October-2008, 18:44
thunder

Mine has been below 300 kbps today

normally 1800 -2000 kbps.
Old 08-October-2008, 23:15
misanthrope

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/res...8405&v=5229144

Extremely slow tonight and last night. This is almost like going back to dialup. AOL better pull it's head out of it's arse or i'll switch provider.
Old 08-October-2008, 23:45
jobber

well what can i say i have 8meg conection been gettin dial up speeds 49k lol
phoned aol twice yesterday level1 tec could not understand a word he woz sayin
told me wait 48 hours.
next bloke told me phone back in a hour lmao
this morning did a few tests on difernt sites guess what back up to 7 meg
this afternoon back down to dial up again my lowest 37k
my downloads are at 9kbs i wana cry
Old 09-October-2008, 00:26
Guest 101002023.56 1/2

Angry Re: AOL customers + speed problems

For sale - 1x 56k Modem...

Only kidding lol. I'm having the same problem as everyone else here - paying for 8mb connection and I have been getting 80-150kb connection speeds for almost a week. At least I know now that it's not just AOL messing with my individual connection speed - it's just there usual dodgy service without bothering to send out an email/notice to paying customers. It's even more annoying that my upload speed seems unaffected at nearly 500kbps...

I'd hop ISP's but there aren't many out there as cheap as AOL and those that are tend to severly cap the total amount you download. Looks like I'll just have to suck it up and hope they fix it sooner rather than later.
Old 09-October-2008, 16:44
Simongtt

Surprise surprise! been getting great speeds all day and at the same time its dropped to less than 1mb (around 600kb/sec).... this isnt funny now! its gotta be AOL throttling speeds at eves!
Old 09-October-2008, 18:00
Simongtt

Currently downloading at 16kb/sec! not experienced anything like this for years since i had dial up Spoke to AOL earlier and got the whole, how long is your extension cord, have you scanned for spyware! told them i want it sorting and sorting by tomorrow, they said some one will ring me back at 8:00pm tonight, lets see what happens!
Old 09-October-2008, 20:32
Simongtt

Well ive just gotten off the phone with some Indian Tech guy, im being subjected to a month of throttled bandwidth for downloading more than 10gig of data a month, he said thats because i use p2p networks! i use Utorrent for some things but very rarely, but i download a lot as I play Flight Simulator and some of the addons for this can be nearly 2gig! (i pay for these programs as Flight Sim developers dont earn a lot and all software houses need supporting). So im well and truly fooked off by this.... another year yet till i can leave them... GREAT! 10gig!!! whats that all about.....
Old 09-October-2008, 21:57
misanthrope

My speed is back to normal tonight. I'm not contracted with aol and have an unlimited package (2mb). Clearly they must be doing something with their service; whether it's shaping, DPI (Phorm), or just congestion due to more users, it's anyone's guess.
Old 09-October-2008, 22:38
Saeed

I managed to get through to second level support - he reported it to the server guys and within 5 mins i get 5 meg speed WOW !!!!

most likely a coincidence but you never know
Old 10-October-2008, 01:40
skease

its not aol anymore....

its carphone warehouse they brought out aol's customer contracts them moved everyone to their ****** slow servers..

they guy on the phone i spoke to today tried telling me i download too much.... and they will start adding aditional charges....witch i recorded the phone call and have contacted the ispa.... because it clearly states in my contract (witch i had before cpw brought out aol) that i signed up to an unlimited doanloads and upload.....il use this to get outta my contract xD cuz there clearly breaking it
Old 10-October-2008, 07:53
Simongtt

its not aol anymore....

its carphone warehouse they brought out aol's customer contracts them moved everyone to their ****** slow servers..

they guy on the phone i spoke to today tried telling me i download too much.... and they will start adding aditional charges....witch i recorded the phone call and have contacted the ispa.... because it clearly states in my contract (witch i had before cpw brought out aol) that i signed up to an unlimited doanloads and upload.....il use this to get outta my contract xD cuz there clearly breaking it
Originally Posted by skease View Post
I thought mine was unlimited too, but it turns out not! there FUP does state that 10gig maximum even though ive never had a warning off them or anythign they have capped me at 350kb/sec between 6 and midnight. Think i need to look for a way out.
Old 10-October-2008, 17:10
NoYa

Everything seems to be working good for the moment. Getting about 6 meg!
Old 10-October-2008, 18:56
Guest 101002023.56 1/2

I thought mine was unlimited too, but it turns out not! there FUP does state that 10gig maximum even though ive never had a warning off them or anythign they have capped me at 350kb/sec between 6 and midnight. Think i need to look for a way out.
Originally Posted by Simongtt View Post
Hi,

Has someone actually told you that you are capped at 350kb/sec between 6pm and midnight?

I ask because this might actually be what they have done to me. I seem to get 3mb connection speeds when I check at 9am in the morning or during the early afternoon but at night I am lucky to reach 200-300kbps. If this is the case then AOL/CPW can stick their broadband package - I'm not paying for an 'unlimited' 4mb connection for them to cap my speeds during the hours I actually USE the internet.

If you could post details of who told you this ( AOL help, Carphone Warehouse, etc) then I can contact them myself to find out and, if it's correct, cancel my broadband.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-October-2008, 01:50
Screamager

Some of these posts are very similar to another crap isp.'TISCALI UK LTD' they do all that and more, time to get your MAC CODES and find a reasonable isp , if that is still possible, which if you are able/prepared to pay the bit(£5-£10 per month) more than the 'value' tarrifs you should get,ie 8mb bb llu around £20 per month , unless you are an o2 customer that seems to be the average price for a decent bb service unfortunately, but true
Old 11-October-2008, 15:26
Simongtt

Hi,

Has someone actually told you that you are capped at 350kb/sec between 6pm and midnight?

I ask because this might actually be what they have done to me. I seem to get 3mb connection speeds when I check at 9am in the morning or during the early afternoon but at night I am lucky to reach 200-300kbps. If this is the case then AOL/CPW can stick their broadband package - I'm not paying for an 'unlimited' 4mb connection for them to cap my speeds during the hours I actually USE the internet.

If you could post details of who told you this ( AOL help, Carphone Warehouse, etc) then I can contact them myself to find out and, if it's correct, cancel my broadband.

Thanks in advance
Originally Posted by Guest 101002023.56 1/2 View Post
I got told this of an AOL tech who rang me from the number 0870 3202020. If i dint have so long left on the contract id be off
Old 11-October-2008, 16:09
NoYa

Internet is currently worse than Dial-up. Speedtest won't even load. AOL IS SHITYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYYYYYYY
Old 11-October-2008, 16:36
Screamager

do you mean http://www.speedtest.net/ ? if so nothing wrong with the site,at the time of writing this,tiscrapi, (tiscali) used to block that site as apparently its a bandwidth waster,lol it will be their servers and traffic shaping software behind it, plus quite possibly an over contended system,

Tags
abuse, adsl, aol, broadband, bt, company, connection, deals, email, facebook, free, google, happy, internet, isp, laptop, line, mobile, modem, network, ofcom, online, port, product, router, sky, slow, speed, speeds, talk, talk talk, talktalk, tiscali, web