Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > AOL

Old 12-October-2008, 17:25
NoYa

Default Re: AOL customers + speed problems

Connection was working fine from this morning, and last time i was on the net was about 3pm. I've come on now to find it back to dial-up speeds. What are they doing?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Old 12-October-2008, 18:01
Simongtt

Being useless C*nts.....
Old 12-October-2008, 18:58
Chris Uk

Been up and down all, speeds been decent though. About 5 minutes ago i've been put down to 250kb/s (real speed 25kb/s)

Absolute morons, cant get out of this contract either as we got a ****** laptop with it (which incidently broke and can't get swapped)
Old 12-October-2008, 19:22
Simongtt

Been up and down all, speeds been decent though. About 5 minutes ago i've been put down to 250kb/s (real speed 25kb/s)

Absolute morons, cant get out of this contract either as we got a ****** laptop with it (which incidently broke and can't get swapped)
Originally Posted by Chris Uk View Post
I have NO doubt in my mind they have capped us all under their FUP, i had one tech guy admit it to me. I also got the Laptop (mines fine at the min but constantly has BSOD) and have about 12 months left on the contract. file a complaint with the ISPA and you should here something back from them, might get your contract made null and void.
Old 12-October-2008, 20:16
Simongtt

Im currently downloading some drivers for a PC im formatting and im getting 435BYTES/Sec (not kilobites) so infact around 1000th my normal connection speed....
Old 12-October-2008, 20:29
misanthrope

It's now clear that they are throttling all speeds at evenings to dialup. I was downloading at 2mb all day today, then as soon at 5-6pm hit, it was back to 1990. I'm pretty sure this must be illegal. I know for a fact they don't tolerate this in Canada or the USA, but our apathetic regulator (ofcom) just stands there twiddling it's thumbs while ISPs such as AOL abuse and exploit contracts so they can effectively do anything they like and circumvent the rights of internet users.
Old 12-October-2008, 20:55
casius335

I'm still at normal speeds, which is frankly miraculous given what's happened to all of you. Maybe whatever sub-section is supposed to be throttling me is asleep.

Will say: I don't dare disconnect at the moment, just in case!
Old 12-October-2008, 21:21
NoYa

Well lets hope the ISPA doesn't make my dads contract null and void, he'd kill me. Still at crippling speeds, the speedtest.net flash program is stuck on 88%loading. If AOL are capping us, then I think the ISPA will sort them out.

EDIT: Just got back on-line after been cut off for the SECOND TIME TODAY! Time off-line: A hour

Last edited by NoYa; 12-October-2008 at 22:21.
Old 12-October-2008, 22:08
incognito

My internet has just cut off for about an hour, and Google and Facebook won't work for some reason, other websites seem ok but still very slow, although it seems a little faster now than a few hours ago...certainly faster than last night.
Old 12-October-2008, 22:24
philossify

Angry Re: AOL customers + speed problems

Costing me money the crap perormance at the moment of AOL Broadband. On a final table in a poker game and it blows me offline. Bloody thinband if you me. I suspect they are having some "network issues" but of course do they own up and apologize - no way because we might ask for some money back.
Old 12-October-2008, 23:50
skease

guys (gals) TRY THIS PLEASE :-

dissconnect your phone line from the wall

turn your computer off (compleatly)

turn your router off (unplug compleatly)

LEAVE for two whole hours

this will totaly reset your router and give it a fresh connection with some people it will help some it wont but i garentee with a few of you it will.

im still suffering with cronic dialup speeds but earlier mine dissconnected so bad that no mater what i did it would not reconect so i gave it the above "rest" and now its back on .... runniing at dial up speds but at least i can re-access the net.

good luck!
Old 13-October-2008, 01:18
skease

Date Download Speed Upload Speed
Today 01:16 4106 kbps (513kB/s) 380 kbps (47.5kB/s) Share
Today 01:15 4290 kbps (536kB/s) 149 kbps (18.6kB/s) Share
Today 23:43 1184 kbps (148kB/s) 259 kbps (32.4kB/s) Share
Today 16:34 254 kbps (31.8kB/s) 130 kbps (16.3kB/s) Share
Today 15:04 188 kbps (23.5kB/s) 73 kbps (9.13kB/s) Share
Today 14:50 198 kbps (24.8kB/s) 117 kbps (14.6kB/s) Share

oh look what a suprise at night the speed goes back up......
Old 13-October-2008, 01:48
Craigant

I've been getting an odd error today. Whenever I try to connect it says "invalid password/domain", but everything is correct. It'll connect after about 30minutes, still not good enough.

I've been getting awefull speeds today and suddenly it's up to 5MBPS at 2AM... awesome.
Old 13-October-2008, 02:09
Bayleaf

Angry Re: AOL customers + speed problems

Well after 2 weeks of trying everything with my PC it is a relief of sorts to find this page and read that so many others are having the same problems and yes it looks obvious AOL are doing this under their "Fair" use policy. Read all about it on their help page mind it doesnt say a thing ! It doesnt define what they consider fair use is or what actions they will take apart to say they WILL cap download speeds at peak times. Its more about limiting use while tying us into longer and longer contracts. Well someone has to pay for them "freelap tops"
Old 13-October-2008, 02:53
skease

yeah i had the same prob earlier with the incorrect password etc thats when i switched it all off for two hours getting 7mb right now but im sure by tomorrow it will be back to dial up speeds
Old 13-October-2008, 11:37
paulcan

Migration Authorisation Code requested from AOL and have signed up with O2.

Their tech guy - who was extremely helpful by the way - did start telling me that O2 were ranked bottom on a recent survey and offered to fix the line if I was prepared to stay. Rather surprisingly he then stated that the problem would not be solved if I didn't intend on staying, which I can sort of understand, but it also sounds like a rather feeble carrot or stick depending on which way you look a it.

Being late morning, my speeds is up very high (for me) at almost 6MB. Will report back on how long it takes to get my MAC and what the O2 service really is like.
Old 13-October-2008, 12:57
Simongtt

Im waiting to see if anyhting happens from my complaint to ISPA, then will try get out of the contract and move to Virgin i think.
Old 13-October-2008, 13:05
Simongtt

Back at full speed this aft, see what 4pm brings though

Old 13-October-2008, 13:33
Screamager

virgin is ok if you can get the fiber optic cable connection, but if you cant have a read of the virgin forums
Old 13-October-2008, 14:05
skease

mines at 3mb right now but its week day so its gonna last a bit longer till about 5-7 i think it will start going bad maybe earlier ..well see
Old 13-October-2008, 14:55
NoYa

Well i'm not at home at the moment, so I can't say what my current speed is. But if this is AOL FUP kicking in, then they've really gone overboard with it. I mean i've been capped before by AOL, and it only went down to 2MB, not
dial-up. I'll be home at 5, so if it's dial-up i'll report back.
Old 13-October-2008, 16:02
skease

Date Download Speed Upload Speed
Today 15:58 364 kbps (45.5kB/s) 316 kbps (39.5kB/s) Share
Today 01:16 4106 kbps (513kB/s) 380 kbps (47.5kB/s) Share

heh i was right it was earlier it just kicked in and set me back to dial up speeds

this is very consistant

its not random.... aol have set peoples usage to revert to certain speeds at certain times of day/night more than likly to cut costs....aol would never do this but they new owners...carphone warehouse......i woudnt put it past them...
Old 13-October-2008, 16:14
Simongtt

Im still getting full speeds, but mine normally doesnt start till around 4:45 i dont think.
Old 13-October-2008, 18:32
Simongtt

Still up and running.

Old 13-October-2008, 18:37
skease

mines at dialup speeds still
Old 13-October-2008, 18:42
NoYa

Mines now at normal speeds, i'm shocked.

Normally get around 5000 to 6000, and i've just done one more and got 5308kbs.
Old 13-October-2008, 20:04
Simongtt

Yeah im still up around the 4400kbps mark this is a rare treat lol.
Old 13-October-2008, 21:06
skease

im still getting dial up speeds lol.... but i ripped em to shreds on live help and there phoning me tomorrow (an engineer) to try and fix this.....well see
Old 13-October-2008, 21:49
NoYa

Yep i'm normal too, yet Gears of War was lagging badly, must have been an American Host.

As Dinky from an other thread put it "One could say that the performance has "been going up and down like a whore's knickers"."
Old 13-October-2008, 22:28
casius335

My performance has been fine for a while. No disconnects since last night.

Maybe because I'm on a 2MB line (theorectically, anyway. Was supposed to go up to 8MB at one point and didn't), they leave me alone more?

Tags
abuse, adsl, aol, broadband, bt, company, connection, deals, email, facebook, free, google, happy, internet, isp, laptop, line, mobile, modem, network, ofcom, online, port, product, router, sky, slow, speed, speeds, talk, talk talk, talktalk, tiscali, web