Old 20-February-2007, 22:51
mike.marsh1@virgin.net

Default Slow Virgin speed

With Virgin.net. Find speed slow, at this moment 3pm, 2.6Mb. If I undo the master socket and plug an extension cable into the master back socket then, straight to my speedtouch 330 modem. I find that the speed then nearly doubles to 4.5Mb, but Virgin tells me my line cannot support more than 2Mb. Can someone please tell me what is going on. I have Master socket, with nothing pluged in, other than extension from inside master socket, feeding Digital phone, (wall socket 1) and sky box, (socket 2) plus extension upstairs socket for phone and computer, (socket 3). I have replaced all the internal phone wiring. Why is this?. Are Virgin telling PORKEYS.
Old 21-February-2007, 09:57
John259

Default Re: Slow Virgin speed

The change in speed indicates a problem within your house.

Just making sure - you have got filters on absolutely every device haven't you not just the computer?

Maybe one device is causing it. Try unplugging one device at a time and check. A friend of mine had an old phone which was bringing his dial-up speeds way down until he disconnected it.

Presumably the problem existed when the line was tested. Once you've fixed it you might be able to ask for a retest maybe? However, if you're on "up to 8MB" it should eventually learn the new speed as I understand it provided you log off and on several times a day.

John
Old 21-February-2007, 10:45
mike.marsh1@virgin.net

Many thanks John. Will have to do some investigating indoors.
Old 21-February-2007, 19:33
arubin

In my experience 2.6MB at 3pm is good for Virgin
Old 22-February-2007, 02:29
Fuel = Coffee & Smoke

when using the usb modem i noticed crappy speeds and constant drop outs, now i have an adsl modem/router from linksys (AG241) and highly rec. it. go get one and u will notice the connection improving
Old 22-February-2007, 11:14
mike.marsh1@virgin.net

Have done all that John to no inprovement. I think I will have to try the Linksys router. Many thanks for the help.
Old 22-February-2007, 14:24
John259

Mike - You're very welcome, sorry it didn't fix the problem - good luck with the router option - John
Old 22-February-2007, 16:28
mike.marsh1@virgin.net

Well John and all, I think I have found the speed problem and indeed it`s in the house.
From the Master box I have 2 cables running out. 1 to the downstairs sockets (2 off) and 1 running to the upstairs socket for the computer,they are both connected to 2/3 and 5 in the Master socket.
By taking out the cable serving the downstairs sockets my speed doubled,the 2 cables must have been splitting the signal in half. The only thing is that Sky box is not now connected to the phone line. Hope this might help someone else. Sorry Virgin and BT it was my wiring! Regards to you all. Mike.
Old 22-February-2007, 16:48
John259

Mike - Excellent news. My guess is that there's a wiring fault on the downstairs line, as you've earlier ruled out there being a dodgy device on it. Anyway I now claim my reward of half the cost of the router (jesting, jesting!) - John
Old 22-February-2007, 17:18
mike.marsh1@virgin.net

Thanks John, Do you not think the problem was the 2 cables going in different directions, thus splitting the signal. 3.2Mb "WOW" unknown to me at this time of day. Mike.
Old 22-February-2007, 17:27
John259

As far as I know you can split the line any reasonable number of times, provided the total of the REN's (Ringing Equivalence Numbers) of all the devices connected doesn't exceed the critical value (sorry, I can't remember what the critical value is). The actual geometry of the wiring doesn't matter, as all the devices are effectively in parallel.

However, at broadband frequencies the question of reflections within the cables might arise. An expert would have to comment on that.

Assuming all devices everywhere on the line are ok and all have broadband filters then FWIW my guess would be individual wires connected to wrong socket pins at one end or the other in the downstairs line, or damage to the cable perhaps causing a full or partial short. But on the other hand either of those might have stopped the normal telephone devices on that line from working. Hmmm, I'm getting out of my depth here, it really needs an expert to advise you....

John
Old 22-February-2007, 17:52
mike.marsh1@virgin.net

Can only be the wiring, or one off the two sockets faulty as I checked all pins and cable colours. But thanks again Mike.
Old 27-February-2007, 00:02
sammyboombammy

hi guys, ive got virgin on a bt line, i use a net gear but ive got a lan cable straight to the router. if i do a bt speed test it come at 5500kbs, and im on 8 meg, but my ping is about 338, and downloading is so slow,
ive even put my router in the bt master and its still very slow, can you help please
sam
Old 29-July-2009, 21:28
7of9sdad

i have Virgin net and BT broadband; both from same exchange, almost down same paris, well different pairs; I play eve online a lot; bt is fine, virgin speed so poor game is unplayable ... virgin net mnetwork is poorly designed and simply not keeping up with demand...
Old 04-March-2010, 20:05
johnh10000

hi folks, new here, but as John seems to have had speed problems,

you may find this usefull

http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/broadbandspeed.html

Tags
adsl, broadband, bt, cable, computer, connection, digital, line, master socket, modem, online, phone, router, sky, slow, speed, speeds, speedtouch, virgin