Go Back   The Scream! > COMMUNITY FORUMS > General Chatty Stuff

Old 04-October-2001, 14:44

Thumbs up Use Your PC To Help Cure Cancer

This month is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

More details available from http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/breastcancer/

What We Can Do

United Devices has teamed up with Intel, The National Foundation for Cancer Research and Oxford University to launch a project that uses idle time on peoples PCs to help the research into a cure for cancer (it's a bit like the SETI screensaver).

from http://www.grid.org/projects/cancer/
A New Way to Help

A landmark research project has begun that allows people to make a real difference in the fight against cancer.

The United Devices Cancer Research Project is asking you to volunteer your PC to help process molecular research being conducted by the Department of Chemistry at the University of Oxford in England and the National Foundation for Cancer Research. To participate, you simply download a very small, no cost, non-invasive software program that works like a screensaver: it runs when your computer isn't being used, and processes research until you need your machine. Your computer never leaves your desk, and the project never interrupts your usual PC use.

It's Safe and Easy

There is no cost to participate and no impact on your computer use. The project software cannot detect or transfer anything on your machine but project-specific information. It just allows your computer to screen molecules that may be developed into drugs to fight cancer. Each individual computer analyzes a few molecules and then sends the results back over the Internet for further research. This project is anticipated to be the largest computational chemistry project ever undertaken and represents a genuine hope to find a better way to fight cancer.
To download the software go to >Here<. The installer is approximately 1.9Mb, and when run it will ask you to register and assign a name for the PC you are running it on (You can have several PCs under each Username, and your homepage will display individual stats for each device).

It will then connect to the UD servers and download the project engine and screen saver (another 1.8MB), after this initial download each unit is fairly small and only takes a few minutes to fetch.

Once you have registered for the first time you can (if you want) join a team. The Scream! has its own team which you can join here --Here--

It's an extreamly worthwhile cause and who knows it might even be fun to see how you're doing compared to the rest of the team

TS! Team stats here.

Sil

PS, thanks to Gecko for the idea in Gen Chatty

edit - updated links - one year on

edit - updated links for url change to grid.org

Last edited by silver; 20-February-2003 at 21:25.
Old 04-October-2001, 17:51
Safe Sane Consensual

Well I've joined (or I think I have joined) a good cause.

Downloaded and installed the program and when I completed the registration page and hit send it froze with a sort of trying to contact message.

Tried twice and on the third time the registration was completed and I was given a temporary name because the name I had requested had already been allocated.

Didn't know if I was sharing another member's name for the time being or not. Have however relogged on using Worldlife and the appropriate password.

The screensaver has come on with all the molecule things but the timer was still on zero after about an hours screentime.

If it wasn't for the recommendation of you guys I would have dropped out as I have reservations about trusting my computer to people that can't give a progress report on registration. Any way I'm a bit dim on what exactly is happening so again my trust is with "The Scream"... I would have opted out immediately on the registration fault.

PS Have registered with the Scream team but is it me or my ghost?
Old 04-October-2001, 18:18

Hi WL,

I joined today also

If you can get into the web page with that username and password then it's as good as yours, I noticed on the page that you are listed as being on the team (it took a few hours to update and show me as being a member).

The only setting I've really needed to change is one under 'My Device Manager' (on the left) - then click the 'Selected Profile / Default' part, to uncheck the 'Exodus Web Performance Testing'. I want to give the CPU time to only the cancer thing

The bit about it showing 'Zero' I think it cos you haven't got any completed 'units' I think it only updates after each complete 'unit'.

I'm running mine as an application (not the screensaver) and on there it gives my time for the current 'unit' (which is counting ok) as well as the 'total cpu time' - which shows zero - as yours does.

Sil

PS, I think we have a while b4 we catch up to ianh

Dorset Wedding Photographer

Last edited by silver; 22-January-2006 at 11:32.
Old 04-October-2001, 19:01
Phelsuma Abbotti

Smile

Cheers Silver,

Appreciate the home page and joining up with UD.

Worldlife, sorry but I get rather heated on the subject and apologise for swearing at you.
Old 04-October-2001, 21:29
tambranstew

Cheers Sil. for reminding me about the UD agent. I knew there was something that still had to be installed in this PC.

Now I can resume processing in the States.

Glad to see that others have joined this program and The Scream team.

Stew
Old 04-October-2001, 22:05
Screamager

I shall join soon, as soon as my server is up and running again

'Slo
Old 04-October-2001, 22:43
Tebbie

I joined up today, and on my first project i completed today my comp crashed and it couldn't connect to UD,, GRRRRRRRR!!

tebs
Old 05-October-2001, 11:20

After checking back on tebs comp this morning looks like it didn't 'loose' the work it'd done after all, what happened was on reboot it uploaded the completed 'unit' really quick and downloaded a new one

Sil (who was 287 points )
Old 05-October-2001, 16:10
tambranstew

Well I'm lucky to get 24 points on the wifes computer.....

It only takes 3 hours to do a unit of work.

Never mind it all helps.

Stew
Old 05-October-2001, 22:57

yeah, points are just a fun thing, work units are what its about, my comps old and takes a while (longest unit so far took 14 hours) it does some weird calc to get from units / cpu time to points. Last unit had 24 'hits'

Sil
Old 06-October-2001, 16:14
Safe Sane Consensual

Silv.. 4 projects and 449 points...

Worldlife 4 projects and 119 points

The least said about Tebbie the better and can I hear the bearings on Ian's computer fan grinding ?

BTW anyone known what a "hit" is.. I seem to have two so far.
Old 06-October-2001, 16:25
Tebbie

heh, there is a page that tells you what everything means, http://members.ud.com/vypc/cancer/think.htm hits are good things

I know what you mean WL,, during the night , I somehow lost a whole project tho,, it ran for like 12 hours, ,and i got no points for it :/

Sil keeps getting all these huge point projects,, humm,, he probably has tweaked it somehow to give him the big projects

Remember too, he leaves his and mine running all the time cos of the adsl thing,,

keep it running tho,,,

tebs
Old 06-October-2001, 18:57

They way they work out the points is odd, theres some description of it somewhere on the UD site. (ISTR that it favours slower pcs - ie slower pcs get more points per unit - but do less units over a give time )

I did have it running on 4 pcs initially, but now its only running on a pII 300 at work. (it didn`t seem to be working right on my g/fs pc and the other 2 have been reinstalled and I forgot to add it back on. tut tut. )
Old 06-October-2001, 20:15
Tebbie

Sil is concerned about catching up to you anyway Ian,,
don't put the 4 comps back on it, or he will end up getting a new comp just to compete

tebs
Old 06-October-2001, 22:43
Safe Sane Consensual

Thanks Tebbie for the link.

I've found the website rather muddly popping in and out secure and non-secure pages and finding some information available only available to "members". Maybe this is membership of forums as distinct from the security codes for using UD Agent. All quite confusing!

Poor old me - Pentium III 500 Mhz - 128 Mb SDRAM and a 56k modem.

Thought UD Agent was giving me a cold shoulder as it has been running since 7.00 am this morning without moving from 94% completion.

Saw on one of the forums that this could be the result of dealing with an extremely long molecule!

Almost giving up us the total CPU time indicator was frozen at 20 hrs 5m. The task CPU time fortunately increased by 3% to 97% within the last few hours and currently showing 15hrs

The number of hits has increased from 2 to 8.

All I need now is a programme to automatically reconnect to my ISP at the end of their two hour cut off period - I would then be able to leave the system on all day (until getting cut off for being an excessive user of my ISP.)
Old 06-October-2001, 22:53
Tebbie

you don't even want to know how many points Sil has now WL,, the sneak,,,

he had a project that took nearly 24 hours,, some just are really long i guess.

tebs
Old 06-October-2001, 22:57

WL, you should be able to set your connection to 'connect on demand' - and disconnect after no activity (over a set period) I forget where the settings are exactly. The UD agent only connects when it's finished one 'unit' an wants to upload it an DL another

I'm not sure about the screensaver only option, I don't have mine set like that an it works away happily all the time, doesn't slow down anything.

I only have a pII 450, as Ian says - the points calc favours the slow PC (you should see how many points my p100 jus got ) tho cos my connection is on ADSL my point earning potential isn't as high as it could be if I used a 56k modem

Sil
Old 06-October-2001, 23:00

btw - this units taken 20 hrs an is on 89 %, but I think its a 'long one' has 131 hits so far on it

Sil
Old 06-October-2001, 23:05
NA-RYAN

I get from 8 points to 24 points per unit.
And they range from 30mins to 4 hours to complete.

Last unit took 40mins and an I got 8 points for that one
Then again it's not about points is it?

Just installed it again tonight.
Got it running on 2 Athlon 900Mhz with 256mb ram.
And both will run 24/7 again.

Used to run it 24/7 but since my room was getting too warm and it was giving me breathing problems. I had to stop
And for some reason it says I had retired from my last group. so I have had to rejoin under a new username to re-join that group.
Humm....

Oh well soon have those units adding up, Already sent back 2 in the last 80 mins
Old 07-October-2001, 01:31

btw - if you haven't seen what it looks like there's a pic of it running, testing the various compounds etc

pic of running app

from the The THINK Screensaver Explained

Sil
Old 07-October-2001, 02:33
Safe Sane Consensual

Hmmmm...does that mean I don't have to have my modem connected for the programme to process the data? It's been on all day today and only 97% done.

I'm going to get some shuteye and leave the computer on line until it get cut off after another two hours......
Old 07-October-2001, 08:29
Safe Sane Consensual

time passes......

Good morning all and project now at 99%.

In the cold light of the day perhaps I had better post the reasoning for the above question....

The UD agent only connects when it's finished one 'unit' an wants to upload it an DL another
I'm still not certain what is happening here. Knowing how long it takes to send a floppy full of data by modem I feel I am not doing this task by what is being stored and transmitted from my computer.

However when the modem is disconnected the analysis, according to the rolling figures, seems to continue. Recall in the UD Agent a relatively small amount of disc space is allocated... about a floppy full. That wouldn't take a computer this size long to analyse...would it?
Old 07-October-2001, 09:39

yeah - does

You don't need to keep it connected once you have the 'unit' downloaded - it'll need to reconnect to upload the results an download the next unit tho

Sil
Old 07-October-2001, 11:54
Phelsuma Abbotti

Smile

Ladies & Gentlemen,

As some of you know this is a very personal concern of mine and I would like to thank you all for joining UD and special thanks to Silver for highlighting it on the homepage.

Just to put the points, hours, connection issues etc. into perspective, IT DOESN'T MATTER! Any help however small is appreciated, 1point, 1hour, 1project!!!

I'm using a PII 350 with 256Mb Ram with always on wireless internet connection, some of the projects can take 48Hrs+ and not get a single hit (reaction with the protein), what you are doing is checking millions of chemical molecules against certain proteins (there are 2no. proteins 'Superoxide Dismutase - The Blue Ribbon' and 'Don't Know The Name - Red & White Spheres').

By the way my partner has just seen me writing this and says to you all.

By the way I'm Edgefrog on the UD stats!

Last edited by Gecko; 07-October-2001 at 11:57.
Old 07-October-2001, 12:10
NA-RYAN

Geez 21 units in 12 hours.

/me hugs his PC's
Old 07-October-2001, 12:12
Tebbie

I can tell your partner is very fortunate to have you for support Gecko Sil and I plan to run this indefinatly,,

I have had two very close relatives affected by breast cancer and a friend/workmate who I will always remember as being about the bravest person I have ever known, in how she dealt with this when it happened to her and her family. My girls lost their Granfather to cancer, and while having donated to the American Cancer Association in the past, in his name, I think he would have really been impressed that we can help in this way. We have been staying up late to watch the process,,it's really amazing how it works.
Hopefully when our kids grow up, the progress made will have made a difference.

tebs
Old 07-October-2001, 12:46
Phelsuma Abbotti

Smile

Thanks Tebs,

I know this makes a difference, my partner has already been on one trial of a very new drug (herceptin) and although that helped, it has stopped working and she is about to start another trial with another new drug (DZ9331) which hasn't even been given a commercial name yet!

The more new drugs the companies can find the better the chances that one will work for each individual with cancer, as each person reacts differently to them, one drug that helps one person, will not necessarily help another.

I'm becoming an amateur pharmacist, check out the following:-

Herceptin (mono-clonal antibody) Cloning is good for some things!
Tamoxifin (hormonal treatment)
Goserelin (hormonal treatment)
Taxol (chemo)
Taxotere (chemo)
Vinorelbine (chemo)
Epirubicin (chemo)
Fluorouracil (chemo) Been used now for 40yrs as a treatment!!

It's funny, because I've got internet access and have researched these and other drugs and I go with my partner to the hospital, the doctors actually don't like me. Apparantly I 'Ask too many questions' and some of the doctors seem reluctant to discuss treatments they're not recommending themselves.

I get really upset at clinic time, most of the women are there by themselves getting bad news and no partner in sight. I cannot go to all the treatment clinics, but I certainly go on results days or check up days.

Oops, got a little long winded with the post!
Old 07-October-2001, 13:03
Tebbie

No, you aren't a bit long winded,, you just demonstrated how your life has to revolve around doctors, meds, and hospitals,, it becomes a lifestyle which you can't ignore or turn away from. I think you have to educate yourself about what treatments are about which are new, what they may do adversely,, and ask alot fo questions,, even tho Doctors hate it when people do that,, that is just too bad for them,, they don't have to lie in bed at night tossing and turning.

I remember my friend who i worked with constantly having to try all kinds of medical cocktails, besides the standard treatment of chemo and radiation treatments,, I remember how ill she was from all that. But she insisted on coming in to work every day, no matter what,, I never saw anyone fight so hard to remain in as normal a routine as possible, under such horrible circumstances. She had an amazing spouse as well,,

I think there is something to be said about the power of positive thinking and how it affects the body's ability to fight severe illnesses,, perhaps some chemical is released which helps in some way,,

tebs
Old 07-October-2001, 13:11
Phelsuma Abbotti

Smile

Thanks for the support Tebs.

And I think the chemicals you are talking about are endorphins!

Research still being done on exactly what effect they have on the body and how the body can use these to fight disease.
Old 07-October-2001, 17:41
Safe Sane Consensual

Thanks for sharing Gecko and hope in each of our ways we can help you both at this difficult time.

One thing one does not need when a person you love is ill is a lack of honesty.

Just before Christmas last year our daughter was admitted into hospital suffering from "atypical pneumonia" and eventually found her way into a specialist ward dealing mainly with elderly people having breathing difficulties

Her condition continued to deteriorate and the medical staff advised "she will recover when the drugs kick in". Our research indicated the something was wrong ... a young person should not be deteriorating in this way.

We concluded that her immune system must be quite low to be affected by pneumonia so severely and came across pneumocystis carini pneumonia.(PCP) By this time our lass was in intensive care and struggling for every breath.. she was a whisker from death and put on artificial respiration.

We asked a senior nurse if this might be PCP and he was able to tell us that no healthy young adult , suffering from pneumonia would have failed to respond to the treatment she had been given.

The Consultant in intensive care was almost in tears when we asked her if, when our daughter recovered, she might suffer any permanent lung or brain damages. Such was our faith in intensive care after the apparant neglect on a general ward we had no idea that she might die that evening.

Just before she was put on the respirator our daughter had an HIV test and told her husband the results should be kept confidential until she recovered (we didn't know of the test or the instruction)

We did know that our daughter had, on finishing her University Course, taken an HIV test that had proven negative.

Her husband continued to deny information about the diagnosis but suggested he was protecting our daughter's honour. We knew that, working with Aids victims, our daughter would not have had unprotected sex with someone she did not trust.

When under pressure HIV infection was confirmed the agony was extended by diverting attention to the distant past..and prior to the negative HIV test. We were fed false information concerning the possible infection date.

With modern drugs our daughter is now in remission and her CD4 count (immune system cell level) is now about 550 in comparison with the figure of 30 when she was ill with pneumonia.

Well I have worked out what I need to say. As desperate as the situation was with our daughter we had at least a period where we could come to terms with illness and the possibility of death. The horror therefore of having a call from a police officer and visiting your loved one in sedation and in intensive care must be horrendous (or even worst for the relations to the victims at the WTC or everyday car crashes).
It is small compensation that we have time to cope with the possibility that our daughter might leave this world before we do.

Hope this is useful to you and your wife Gecko and we can only wish that a spinoff from the vast research now under way will help you as it has helped our daughter.

Last edited by Worldlife; 07-October-2001 at 18:44.

Tags
adsl, bad, company, computer, connection, delay, email, feature, files, forward, home, intel, internet, line, lost, make, modem, music, oap, opinion, phone, screen, settings, slow, software, speeding, speeds, web, windows, zero, zone