Go Back   The Scream! > COMMUNITY FORUMS > General Chatty Stuff

Old 05-February-2002, 18:37
Screamager

Here is a direct link to the latest version of Windows Installer.

Windows Installer 2.0 Redistributable for Windows 95, 98, and Me

'Slo
Old 05-February-2002, 20:21
MarcusT

Default Hey Paul

Got that same message trying to install on al old laptop running Windows 98 (not even 98SE).

Just downloaded Windows Installer 2.0 and worked fine after that. You can get it here:

http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0...0-7646491.html

Old 05-February-2002, 20:25
MarcusT

Wink OOps

Didn't see post before mine.

Anyway, he's right. You can take his word for it
Old 05-February-2002, 20:57
Paul

thanks guys

down loaded and up and running. already munching those little maths problems. that makes two running from here now

i downloaded the little program that stacks up units in advance how do i make it work as ud seems to be having probs connecting to the server to send back answers therfore lots of wasted time whilst i'm asleep or out

Paul
Old 05-February-2002, 21:38

kewl

I have been working (slowly) on the 'all singing, all dancing, TS! UD Stat-o-meter' (thingy)

Hardest part is working out how to calculate the differences between each day efficiently and also how to display it in a sensible way,, it's getting there,, mebbe have a semi-working page by the weekend

Sil
Old 05-February-2002, 23:22
Ivan the terrible

Paul, would that be UD Monitor? If it is: unzip it and double click the blue bottle to start the program. It will ask you to locate ud.exe. Once it is running click on Cashe tab and tick the box. Right-click in the window and you will get the list of commands. Two slots are OK, three are more than enough. You will need to give a new device name for each extra slot.

Then click on Settings button and find those that suit you the best. Don't use Send/Receive in Cashe but switch to the slot with the result as this function is the only unreliable thing in UD Monitor.
Old 08-February-2002, 14:29
Phelsuma Abbotti

Unhappy

Bugger!!

They changed the friggin' venue for the meeting at HQ to a local hotel and I only managed to get UD on 1no. machine in a quick dash between seminars.

I have however upgraded the Win95 machine with Winsock2 (Thanks again to: Ivan the Terrible) and added that into my devices list.

I've now got 7no. machines installed, but only the 5no. machines at work run continously.

My home machines are a Pentium II - 350Mhz which is my original and a new Athlon 1600XP. The Pentium was quiet enough to run 24/7 but until I get the networking up and running will stay switched off and the Athlon is noisier than a hair dryer so only comes on at night and weekends.

doesn't have it on during the day as it sits in the living room and she needs peace & quiet and plenty of rest.

I'm thinking of investing a bit of money with www.quietpc.com so the Athlon can run 24/7, but need:-

i) Confidence to muck around inside my case &
ii) MONEY!

Oh well, I'll try and get the IT manager to do it for me!
Old 08-February-2002, 14:56
Paul

Ivan

UD monitor loaded, right clicked in cache and got an extra slot but could't rename it. help how i do get the thing to download all these extra work units. a line by line explanaytion would help as my 1.9mgz machine zips though units in a couple of hours and can,t connect back to the UD server properly unless i hold its hand (XP for you)

Paul
Old 08-February-2002, 15:42
Ivan the terrible

OK. Since you made a new slot, highlight it and press Enter. UD Monitor will switch to the new slot and UD will ask you to register a new device. Tick the box for existing member, write your nickname and password and name the device. Send the details and UD will download a new work unit. You can insert as many new slots as you like but you need to have different device names for them.

If it won't register a new device the trouble is more likely communication with UD servers than with UD Monitor. You will just need to try again later.

Last edited by Ivan the terrible; 08-February-2002 at 15:52.
Old 08-February-2002, 15:59
Paul

thanks Ivan

you not so terrible after all . I shall rename you Ivan not the terrible
Old 08-February-2002, 17:19
Ivan the terrible

Thanks, Paul. We are all on the same side, after all.

Gecko, quiet fans:

80mm Evercool - great case fan; not very strong but very quiet

60mm Thermaltake - replaced my noisy CPU fan with this one and it made a great deal of difference. Bought it from The Overclocking Store but they don't have it any more.
Old 11-February-2002, 19:57

Started a new thread for the TS! UD Stats thingy

see TS! UD Stats! Use Your PC To Help Cure Cancer

Sil
Old 19-February-2002, 09:53

Wow - we are on for the big7 in the next day or 2 - surely? Which means we've really sped things up

The big6 was on the 4th feb, and it's only the 19th

Sil

PS, TS! Team Stats
or TS! Team Stats (sils copy)
Old 19-February-2002, 22:13
Paul

hi sil

visited your stats page, grrreat. will it just keep getting longer or are you going to have pages like this site?

now both my comps are running, the 500mhz one auto dials and the 1.9ghz uses ud monitor so my results come in lumps rather than a smooth flow. but at least they are both going for it 24/7. the 1.9ghz gets though 5/6 units a day i keep having to add more slots to th ud monitor to keep up.
If any one reading this is not making the best use of there cpu time ud monitor helps, espealy if you have problems with ud not dialing up properly.

i recon we will hit 7 years by tommorrow evening

Paul
Old 19-February-2002, 22:28

kewl

Glad the UD monitor is helping

I think I get abt 2 results in a day on average, thats on a pII 450 and an old celeron.

The stats pages will probably be split somehow, not sure how yet

Sil

PS, is a thread abt the stats thingy UD Stats!
Old 21-February-2002, 00:12
fridgebuzz

Default UD Agent Update

My UD Agent wasn't working. I found this on the site.
I don't know the time difference between Central Standard Time and GMT. Sorry. Should think It will be up and running tomorrow morning.

This is the message on the site:

We will begin upgrading the UD Agent at 10 AM CST (16:00 UTC) on Wednesday, February 20, 2002. Your UD Agent will be unable to connect to the server for approximately 6-10 hours. All "Member Services" pages will be unavailable during this period as well. Following the upgrade, you'll be downloading the new UD Agent the next time you connect to the server. That download is approximately 1.5 MB so you may experience longer connection times.
Old 21-February-2002, 09:31
Paul

me too

ive got 7 work units to upload and my poor machines is frantically tring to connect. when they do finally reopen for busness the whole world and his dog will be trying to connect. it will take ages for things to settle down.

Paul
Old 21-February-2002, 09:40
fridgebuzz

Paul I'm glad it's not just me! I've still got the yellow exclamation mark icon flashing frantically in my tray!

EDIT

OH NO! Sorry just after I wrote that I thought I'd have another deckers at it.and it;s now processing merrily away! Ain't it just the case!
Old 21-February-2002, 09:45

from stats
we've reached another 'milestone'

7 Years Of CPU Time!!

We did the last year in 17 days - TS! team now ranked 857th on CPU time and moving up the rankings each day

Welcome to kev1st our newest member

Well done all!

Sil
Old 21-February-2002, 10:13
Paul

welcome to the the ranks kev1st

more cpu time the quicker those cancer cells get a hammering

remember to check your profile to see if you are doing the usa gov dirty work on anthrax. they get all scared and uptight when five people die from it. more people die fron cancer a minute in the world than anthrax.

Paul
Old 21-February-2002, 10:29
fridgebuzz

I read a notice about the anthrax thingie when I was trying to find out why the UD Agent was down yesterday:

It says:

"Anthrax Research Project Completed
United Devices is excited to announce that as of February 14, 2002, the screening phase of the Anthrax Research Project has been completed. Preliminary indications are that we have narrowed the original pool of 3.57 billion molecules down considerably, having identified over 300,000 crude unique hits in the course of the project. This significantly reduces the next phase of the discovery process, in which the ranked hits will be further refined and analyzed, accelerating the overall time to availability of a treatment."

its on Member News.
Old 21-February-2002, 10:45
Paul

hey fridgebuzz

i just snook one unit through, but the rest are being chucked out. how are you doing.

Old 21-February-2002, 10:47
fridgebuzz

I'm on about 9% ...been going about 1 hour
Old 21-February-2002, 13:27
Paul

this is worse than seducing a virgin

no luck yet
Old 21-February-2002, 14:46
Former TS! Team

Default Thanks

Thanks for all of you welcome messages.

After a good start it all went wrong!

See
http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/s...5&pagenumber=2

I was running NT Server but decieded to get my other PC's on the network up and running (What a nightmare!)

Cheers for your help silver on that one. I'm away from home until tuesday, but when I get back I'll have 2 PC's and a laptop running off of an old CB transformer, as I blew up the charger!
Old 21-February-2002, 15:32
Paul

how do you blow up a charger?
Old 21-February-2002, 16:16
Former TS! Team

Default How to blow up a charger

By an ex-demo "Tiny Computers" Laptop.

Leave plugged in for several weeks while churning out WU!

Just started smoking one day.
Old 24-February-2002, 21:49
STS

Default Is It just Me ??

Hi,

I seem to be on my 4th or 5th (maybe more) version of RAF molecule in succession. It sends the results back, and downloads a new project that seems to be the same again.

Confused... STS
Old 24-February-2002, 21:56
Paul

have you tried the ud monitor program and cached several unit to do one after another. it lists the units exact number and that will confirm whether you are working on the same unit each time.
Old 25-February-2002, 13:52
STS

Default MMMnnnn

Hi,

Well I logged into UD and went to check the progress of my machine. Each of the results it has returned from the last few that I think are all the same project have yielded different points.

So I guess that they are different after all ???????? It don't appear to be broke so I will not be attempting to fix it.

STS

Tags
adsl, bad, company, computer, connection, delay, email, feature, files, forward, home, intel, internet, line, lost, make, modem, music, oap, opinion, phone, screen, settings, slow, software, speeding, speeds, web, windows, zero, zone