Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Virgin Media

Old 06-October-2008, 18:52
thomas.locke

Default BT Home Hub as router for Virgin broadband.

Hello,

I would really appreciate some input on this problem as I'm about to give up!

I have inherited a BT HH (version 1.0 I believe, it's black) that I would like to use as a router (supplying a wireless laptop and a desktop via an ethernet cable) for a virgin media broadband connection.

I have followed a set of instructions to clear the BT software and believe the HH is now back to its original speedtouch router state. I used the following instructions:

http://www.josephn.net/unlocking_bt_home_hub

In theory I should now be able to connect the RJ45 from my virgin modem into one of the 2 ethernet ports on the HH and then connect the desktop to the HH with another RJ45, however this doesn't work. I have also tried (with no avail) converting the RJ45 from the modem into a RJ11 so I could connect into the HH port labelled 'broadband in'.

I think that my problem is in configuring the HH to act as a router for my virgin modem. Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance

Thom
Old 22-October-2008, 05:33
Currywurst

Default Re: BT Home Hub as router for Virgin broadband.

I registered just to give you a hand! I've just been through this stress. Assuming when you log into your BT HomeHub, the locked BT-only crap has all gone, your problem is the sockets. Routers are divided into the LAN (local) side, and the WAN (web) side. With normal ADSL modem-routers, there is one RJ11 socket for input on the WAN side, sucking stuff in from the outside world via the phone socket if you are downloading, and it sends this stuff out to your computers via the wireless, and also out to them wired via maybe four RJ45 sockets (usually yellow).

Virgin is cable, not ADSL, and the BTHH is an ADSL modem-router. I wasted a weekend trying something similar recently. I tried both Netgear and SMC ADSL routers on Virgin cable with no luck, just hours of wasted time.

I was sure that some routers allow you to use one of the LAN RJ45 sockets as a network input from the Virgin cable modem. As they are actually modem-routers, to make them work with Virgin cable, you must find a way to turn off the modem section of the modem-router, as the Virgin black box has done that bit already. This should be available in the router setup screens, if it can be done at all. If one of the RJ45s can take the feed from the little Virgin (or Telewest etc) cable box, then it should be auto-sensing, no settings to change.

I couldn't do it with either of mine, so now I'm rooting around for an old WRT-54G or similar Cable/DSL or a cable-only wireless router that should do the business. Anything with an RJ45 socket for both input and output should be OK, and they come up often at boot fairs because most people are on ADSL, and so can't use a cable-only router.

I wish someone else had told me all this on Saturday afternoon!
Old 24-October-2008, 19:34
thomas.locke

Hey Currywurst,

Many thanks for signing up to help me out! I also spent a wasted week battling with that thing. I conceded defeat last week and my shiny new netgear router arrived today, all set up in about 2 minutes! Good luck with your search.

Many thanks to everyone else who helped me out.
Old 22-October-2010, 18:33
Malcolmashtead

I registered too, in response to the very helpful question from thomas locke and answer from CurryWurst on 'How to use BT Home Hub for Virgin cable router'. I was thinking of experimenting, but now I won't even try to go down that route, excuse the pun, but will go and buy a router. I want to use hard-wired comm to desktop and wireless to my laptop, all within my home.

Pity the BT Homehub will do nothing but gather dust. Only had it 1 year but decided not to continue BT Broadband.
Old 01-November-2010, 17:04
Screamer

I registered too, in response to the very helpful question from thomas locke and answer from CurryWurst on 'How to use BT Home Hub for Virgin cable router'. I was thinking of experimenting, but now I won't even try to go down that route, excuse the pun, but will go and buy a router. I want to use hard-wired comm to desktop and wireless to my laptop, all within my home.

Pity the BT Homehub will do nothing but gather dust. Only had it 1 year but decided not to continue BT Broadband.
Originally Posted by Malcolmashtead View Post
You Never Know Malcolm, The Way Virgin Is Going At The Moment You May Need Your BT Homehub Again!!LOL

Tags
adsl, broadband, bt, bt home hub, cable, connection, home, home hub, hub, laptop, make, modem, netgear, network, phone, router, settings, software, speed, speedtouch, virgin, web, wireless