Go Back   The Scream! > COMMUNITY FORUMS > General Chatty Stuff

Old 14-December-2009, 14:13
Screamer

Default FACEBOOK and Virus' WARNING

Sorry, I've got to rant about Facebook.

I have had to unvirus and de-trojan sooo many peoples computers and pretty much every time the source appears to be Facebook. Some have been real evil **./*s! This morning I went on to agree to be a friend/relative, got directed automatically to the relatives section and I got a warning I was infected (I wasn't, but it looks very real to most people and pushes you into agreeing to unifect (by downloading/running a scan) yourself . It claims you have lots of infections and trojans, it even throws up realistic looking windows screen prompts.) This is how anyone would then gets lots of trojans and real infections. This came from the Realtives page/section of Facebook! As popular as Facebook is they have got to improve their defence against being infected themselves. Anyone visiting becomes infected by this "drive-by" type infection. There have also been so many instances and reports of facebook and infections lately. Be Careful on Fcaebook and run your own antivirus , not one that pops up and you don't recognise as your installed one !! Given how and what they operate, it is so easy for antisocial virus instigaters to modify pages so this happens Please take care on all Fcaebook pages. I have even had to tell many people to change their MSN login password as these have been stolen and used e-mail everyone in their live-messenger contact list with adverts.

Hope this helps someone avoid trouble!
Old 14-December-2009, 19:16
Trance Addict

Default Re: FACEBOOK and Virus' WARNING

Can't say I've ever had this problem with my own system or anyone else that uses facebook.

If you ask me the biggest route of all evil when it comes to Viri and trojans in my opinion is LimeWire. If I go anywhere and find that on someones system I remove it right away and explain why I remove it.

It usually finds its way back onto the system though and in the end I give up, I let them carry on and am happy to take peoples money if they want to pay me for removing what I've warned them about so many times.
Old 14-December-2009, 22:58
canta

I believe Facebook is a virus, because it always appears on my computer after my stepson visits! I delete it after he goes, but back it comes next time he's here!
Old 14-December-2009, 23:22
Screamer

I'm one of those people that helps others and enjoys the challenge ( mostly) of sorting problems out for free ( or the odd bottle of wine ). Facebook itself is a good idea but is used by "bad people" (sorry it's the best unswearing description I can think of at the moment) to convey their malware. Injecting their virus code into people's "walls" for the purpose of trouble causing and advertising, which is what I have directly linked to Facebook and it's appropriation of their LiveMessenger passwords. Changing MSN passwords and malware cleansing have been a long and constant source of time consumption. (And subsequently wine) I'm sure Facebook are working on it and I don't doubt it is difficult. Like Internet Explorer, being popular makes it a target! It's just so annoying.Some people who I have shown what they did still insist on repeating the same mistake and not running the cleansing software I have put on for them. Aaargh!! You only have to Google Facebook and virus or trojans and the complaints are endless.
Old 15-December-2009, 12:26
I'll get some legs soon..

The best prevention against those fake "you are infected" popups is quite simply a popup stopper. The one built into Firefox works well
Old 15-December-2009, 12:58
Screamer

Already got a pop-up stopper and they don't stop it. It's not a straight-forward pop-up. You get infected with code that persitently tries to download a trojan to download all-sorts of other stuff. I have tied the trojan to Facebook by what many people have told me and by matching the offending files dates and times to the times people are on certain facebook pages in the IE caches. The coincidences alone were too much also. I am very well protected and I still had an attempt made against me that would fool most. To get that far says something. Not trying to be bigheaded you understand but I really am very well versed with computers. I started before the PC was invented! literally. I have been in computer electronics since 1978 ish. Started testing, repairing diagnosing down to component level. (Not like the swop and replace it has now become). Ended up managing a customer repair centre for computers and peripherals ( a very large US company with susids in this country). I have written programs for companies as well. This has just wound me up because I like helping solve computer problems and the big one here is Facebook.
Old 15-December-2009, 17:39

I use the NoScript add on for Firefox, blocks java/javascript by default until you either temporarily or permanently allow it for a particular domain.

This prevents a lot of tedious unpleasantness that lurks on webpages. Adverts/malware/etc.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722
Old 15-December-2009, 21:53
Trance Addict

I've been tinkering with PC's since I was 11, it may have been 10, I can't remember. I started with Dos 3.1 lol I remember some of the Viri we used to get for that, now they were the stuff of nightmares some were strong enough to kill a hard drive back then.

A virus these days tends to be an annoying bit of grotty software written by some scum bag who has nothing better to do with his time than to annoy other innocent users. That said it's always aimed at a Windows system.
Old 16-December-2009, 00:40
canta

I use Chrome and that alerts when pop-ups appear, then you have the choice whether to allow them or not - sometimes you have to allow, in order to see a correct page, but it's pretty much commonsense - which, I admit, doesn't always happen when kids use my computer! But I've never personally had a pop-up infect my machine when using Chrome, while I've been using it. Highly recommended!
Old 16-December-2009, 08:18

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Tec..._Captcha_Virus

Sky News has been told that Facebook users are most at risk from a variant of the Koobface virus, which has been disguised as a Festive greetings video, hosted on a YouTube site.
Old 16-December-2009, 12:38
Screamer

I've been tinkering with PC's since I was 11, it may have been 10, I can't remember. I started with Dos 3.1 lol I remember some of the Viri we used to get for that, now they were the stuff of nightmares some were strong enough to kill a hard drive back then.

A virus these days tends to be an annoying bit of grotty software written by some scum bag who has nothing better to do with his time than to annoy other innocent users. That said it's always aimed at a Windows system.
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Not just annoying when it's after your bank details by keylogging and sending off the info to crooks. I have had to remove many of these from peoples systems too. Not necessarily these I'm ranting about here but some others. Once the trojan is in it invites all it's mates and advertising software as well. Come one, come all is the moto. It usually culmulates in an unusable system that is sooo slow. Pre-Internet had none of this. (Er except infected discs from PC magazines. Had them too.) I remember it well! I even remember back to Dos 1 ! and Dr DOS. I'm starting to feel old now. Actually I remember back to well before that and some operating systems and programming languages written in Hebrew! --Starting to feel very old.. so going now.
Old 18-December-2009, 17:51
Screamer

Not again ! Just had another friend brought their laptop round-- Guess what site they were on when they got infected.
Old 19-December-2009, 12:10
Rambler

Not again ! Just had another friend brought their laptop round-- Guess what site they were on when they got infected.
Originally Posted by ronb62 View Post
Facebook
Old 19-December-2009, 12:35

I think ppl need to be careful what they run and which websites they visit,. whether this is a specific issue with facebook or just websites in general is the thing

it used to be (probably still is) the case a lot of ppl get infected by things which are emailed to them,. it is not email in itself to blame,. the same is true of facebook - it's just a way to communicate information between ppl - sometimes that information is a virus or other type of malware

I guess (have not looked into it) facebook provides a way to share information (like using email) but there is trust engendered because ppl think what it sent to them comes from a friend so don't question when they are asked to install something

could be totally wrong and of course, but in general ppl need to be cautious when using the internet - regardless of how the get sent the malware
Old 21-December-2009, 13:14
Screamer

Agree Totally! It was only because I am computer savvy that I recognised the attempted trojan+virus for what it was (or wasn't) - It really looked the part of a genuine windows message. Facebook itself is not a virus and as I have said earlier it's inherrent popularity makes it a target. The multitude of add-ons that participants can put on their "walls" make it very easy for miscreants to take advantage of. I really feel for the administrators of Facebook website in their attempts to keep it "germ free". However the responsibility is theirs and the infections are rife.
Old 23-December-2009, 12:15
puggsley1980

Education is the key! I don't even have any AV installed on my home rig (i run remote scans) and I've not had any virus issues in a few years now (touch wood).

Facebook itself is fine, but it is a communication platform and like any method of communication scammers (spam mail, telemarketers) will use any tactic they can to screw you over. When talking to people about virus awareness i find it helps to use this comparison.

Tell them to think about it like this:

If someone rings to tell you you've won a free holiday would you believe them?
If a man knocked on your door and told you the clay pots on your chimney stack were dangerous, but he could remove them for free, would you believe him? (btw they sell these down the garden centres for 100 a pop)
If you got an email offering you a chance to win a laptop if you fill your personal details in on a website would you believe it?

The second part is ensuring you have your browser set up correctly, pop ups blocked, no active-x, prompts for Java scripts, etc. Never install anything automatically, always do it yourself to ensure you really are installing flash player and not something else.

Shimples.
Old 26-December-2009, 22:05
Trance Addict

I run Kaspersky 2010 on my PC and Laptop, it's dealt with everything it's had thrown at it, infact its so good I don't know its doing it

We dealt with 2 infiltratins on customers laptops last week, my boss spent 3 hours disinfecting one and a further 2 hours the other, neither of which had any security software, free or otherwise. The systems themselves blonged to teeanged girls who must have picked them up through Limewire or facebook.

I tend to not to install any new apps on face book or accept any invitations to join this and that as I just don't trust any of it as far as I can throw it. I've got better things to do than spend half my day dissinfecting my own system let alone being paid to do someone elses.
Old 27-December-2009, 11:04
Screamer

Again I agree totally with the education comment. I've tried, and continue, but some people don't/won't listen. Hence a repeat offender I had to sort out. Kaspersky is excellent. I converted my brother to this one! However I ran it for at least 2 years on 3 of the systems I have and it did let some through!!. Haven't used it for the last 2 years. AVG and Avira have better detection rates. Kaspersky updates are more frequent than some of other the "big boys" like Norton, but Norton causes too many other problems. Each have their own strengths and weaknesses. Facebook invitations, games and mini apps are highly suspect and should be treated with utmost care (ignored).
Old 28-December-2009, 00:06
Trance Addict

One particular repeat offender I deal with is shall I say very keen on his transpotting websites (nudge nudge, wink wink say no more )

Anyway I sort it all out for him, there are times when the infestations are so bad that I have to securely erase the hard drive using Arcronnis because if I rely on the Windows format alone whatever he had returns with in days ! I tell him constantly its because of this you keep getting this repeat problems and he carries on no they are safe sites ! To say I'm banging my head against a brick wall with him is an understatement.

He's had all the top named paid for security software, he gets infested. I've locked the system down to the point where he only has a limited user account, he still gets infested. I've put on spybot, comodo firewall, AVAST, adaware locked ports down on his router so that everything must go through port 80 and still he gets infested.

I've even pointed him towards firefox, but he insists on using Internet Explorer.

In the end I've just given up trying to educate him and deal with it as and when he calls.

Guess what he asks me to do when I re-install the operating system ? "Backup my favorites please, there's some brilliant sites in there"
Old 29-December-2009, 11:45
Screamer

Not AGAIN!!

now my daugher in Manchester has been infected. emaling evryone in her Messenger address-book with adverts. The worst part-- it even says about Facebook in the message! admitting where she was infected!!!! Come on Facebook this is no joke- she will be emailing ads every day to everyone she knows unwittingly.
Old 30-December-2009, 12:16
puggsley1980

There comes a point where you have to suspend your services. Its the only way some people will learn.
Old 04-February-2010, 17:54
Screamer

Next case, My friend's wife's computer- arrived the other day to hear him givin her grief about Facebook and how many "interlopers" she had on her comp. He had recently set that one up so it was completely clear and he keeps full anti virus on all his comps ('bout 8 of them I think) this one full of trojans and viruses thanks to FB (and his wife). Luckily he knows what he's doing and how to get rid of them so I had no extra work from that one!
Old 03-October-2010, 21:23
Screamer

Seems to be happening again! seen at least another 5 peoples computers all sending out advertising for web sites (location China usually) in the last month. Warning to everyone! change your MSN/livemail password if people tell you they are receiving ads from you that you know nothing about. Facebook seems to be the source of peoples passwords for hotmail account address and password. Again!
Old 03-October-2010, 21:29
Rambler

Thanks for update Ron, Mostly the games want your e-mail addy.
Old 03-October-2010, 21:38
Screamer

Thanks for update Ron, Mostly the games want your e-mail addy.
Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
I understand that for legit marketing, but somehow the password for peoples' hotmail accounts is being farmed and then everyone in your address book gets advertisments, in broken English, requesting them to look at their website and saying it is a recommendation of the sender i.e. you. The password must be being used as the send time of e-mails is at times when the sources are not on i.e. 3 in the morning or when they are even away on holiday.
Old 03-October-2010, 21:40
Rambler

I understand that for legit marketing, but somehow the password for peoples' hotmail accounts is being farmed and then everyone in your address book gets advertisments, in broken English, requesting them to look at their website and saying it is a recommendation of the sender i.e. you.
Originally Posted by ronb62 View Post
Thats because easy for them once you give addy and password!
Old 03-October-2010, 21:48
Trance Addict

It'll be that time of year again for me to I fear. I'm going out to a PC tomorrow to have a look see whats wrong with that one, I think another Virus or Malware attack due to someone allowing their nephew to look at naked ladies.

Not that there's anything wrong with it, you just don't use internet explorer for that (or so I'm told!)

So thats a joyus evening I'll spend doing that.
Old 18-October-2010, 20:03
Screamer

Busted !!
Found this on PCWORLD.com:-
In the latest episode of the gang that couldn't get privacy straight, it was revealed by the Wall Street Journal that many of Facebook's popular applications were unintentionally transmitting the names of the social network's members and, in some cases, their friends' names to dozens of advertising and Internet tracking companiesA company then links yours and all your friends details to e-mail address' and sells them to advertisers maybe spoofing the senders e-mail address? Still Facebook and their (expletive) (i'll save the moderators time) apps they allow to exploit their users
Old 19-October-2010, 22:18
Trance Addict

Exactly why I refused to play any of the games in facebook and use it purely as a communication tool and nothing else.
Old 20-October-2010, 17:58
Screamer

The thing is- it is being reported that these games are "unintentionally"(Hmm- pardon me if I don't believe unintentionally) transmitting peoples names and also friends names which are being matched up to e-mail addresses and then sold on as mailing lists. But I still think there is more to it. I also understand spoofing of the originator could be claimed in these advertising e-mails. Names/email addreses must be being taken from peoples MSN accounts as they are not in their friends lists on Facebook. Facebook offers to load in and find your friends from your various messenger accounts and promises not to retain any login/password information but the only way these message could have got to some of the people receiving them is via access to their messenger accounts on MSN. My friends, neighbours, relatives etc. "rarely" tend to be on the internet at 3.30a.m. spoofing the source could allow for this but as I have said earlier the "sources" of some e-mails are not on facebook so how else? Facebook is excellent for estranged friends and relatives, we have family around the world and at "Uni" etc. Facebook have got to seriously tighten up their security against this. There are too many lapses of peoples personal details.

Tags
123, bad, comparison, computer, facebook, fake, flash, free, google, happy, home, internet, key, laptop, line, make, messenger, new apps, online, opinion, player, router, security, settings, share, sky, software, trojan, virus, web, windows