Old 29-December-2009, 13:52
Screamager

Default XP Re-boot Loop

I've just given my dad my old PC which is a bit more powerful than the one he has. I took out my HDD's and replaced them with the HDD from his PC. When I switched on it boots up OK, gets to the XP splash screen and then reboots - it does this constantly. I tried booting from the last known good configuration but get the same result.

Thought this would be simple! Anything obvious I have not done?

Thanks.
Old 29-December-2009, 14:27
Screamager

Default Re: XP Re-boot Loop

mmm,are the hdd a different type, ie s ata or pata?, if the hardware is different then the bios may not be recognizing it properly,or you may have to repair or re-install the o/s
some more info on it,(if is the same problem as your's)you could try this ,with link on how to perform a xp repair install http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=51627 hope it is of some help
Old 29-December-2009, 14:45
Austin_KW

You cant do that unless the h/w is the same on the new PC.
Sometimes windows can figure it out after a few reboots. Sometimes repairing XP can fix it.
You might try booting the disk in the old PC and setting the ata/sata drivers back to standard. Look on the interweb for guides on deploying disk images and sysprep.
Old 29-December-2009, 17:28
Screamager

OK thanks. HDD's are the same type (I think) - not SATA. Will look at the link and see how I get on. Cheers.
Old 30-December-2009, 15:29
Austin_KW

Sorry was not clear,
I meant the ide/sata controllers not the drivers for the disk. Open device manager and change the ide controllers' drivers to standard (from intel or whatever chipset they are set to)
In Device Manager, Right click on ata controllers, update driver, Browse/locate manually, Pick from list, Standard ata controller.

Obviously you have to do this on the old pc and then move the disk to the new.
Old 30-December-2009, 17:37
Screamager

Thanks Austin. I will give it a try and let you know how it goes. Will be a few days before I cant get access to it though.
Old 31-December-2009, 11:02

seems unlikely but is the PC directly connected to i'net - there was a dcom thing that made XP boxes reboot but that was generally remotely triggered
Old 03-January-2010, 16:56
Trance Addict

Personally I'd re-install Windows from scratch. There have been very few occasions that I've been able to get an install of Windows from an older system to work happily with newer hardware.
Old 05-January-2010, 20:34
Screamager

Having a nightmare. I had to reinstall XP in the end.

Now I have an issue with old hardware. There is a Soundblaster Audigy 2 soundcard that I cant find the driver disk for. Went on the internet tot he Creative site - they dont have the file anymore. Eventually found it through Google. I installed it but still didnt work. Some error message that I cant remember. I went in search of a different driver set and found one. When I tried to install it it said the existing drivers were more up to date and it would not install. I uninstalled the hardware and rebooted and then tried to install the older set of drivers but got an error message saying the Windows drivers are more up to date. However, still no sound. If I go into properties for the driver it just says its not working correctly.

Second issue is the ADSL modem. Its a SAGEM model for talktalk. I got the model number of the back - F@st 800. I found the drivers off the SAGEM site for models 800/840. I happily installed only to be presented with a list of about 20 options to choose from. Most began with PPoE but there were others. I have no idea which to choose and there is nothing on the back of the modem to help. I just selected the first one but when I try to conenct it just says the remote computer is not responding.

I am constantly driving backwards and forwards from my Dad's house to mine so I can get new files off the net. Doing my head in!

We are at the "let's just get a new laptop" point. The system we are trying to set up is at least 5 years old.
Old 05-January-2010, 20:43
Austin_KW

Most uk ISPs are
pppoa (point-point protocol over atm)
vcmux (VPI=0, VCI=38)

Talktalk usually use a lower mtu (1400 almost always works, 1432 may work)

Talktalk dsl username is phonenumber@talktalk.net eg 02071234567@talktalk.net
Call 0870 0875 562 from the talktalk line and it will automatically read the password.
Old 05-January-2010, 20:55
Screamager

Try here for the drivers....

http://support.creative.com/Products...Sound+Blaster#

Click on Audigy on the left, then wait for the righthand panel to load, select Audigy ? whatever number/version you have from the list, click Next at the bottom of page.

On the next page, is a selection of drivers about halfway down the page. Also on the far righthand side of that page is a Download link, which also has about 4 pages of drivers, applications, etc.
Old 06-January-2010, 20:11
Screamager

Thanks all. Situation now resolved. Austin those settings worked a treat, as did the link to the Creative support site - thanks JR. Behemoth - I did need a complete reinstall.

Only problem is, he still wants a laptop to free up the space. Never mind - anybody interested in a desktop

Tags
123, adsl, computer, email, files, free, google, hdd, intel, internet, laptop, line, modem, phone, screen, settings, sound, talk, talktalk, windows