Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Broadband Internet Access

Old 17-March-2002, 13:02
jm_paulin

Angry the MOVE... from an ADSL user.... or why never ever think about going back to BT !!!

Once upon the time...

I moved into a flat in London in 2001, and took there an ADSL connection, that has been installed late May 2001. For reasons beyond my control, I had to move out from this location for another property in Morden. Being fairly happy with your ADSL, I wanted to transfer this account from the London flat to the place in Morden. After few discussion with BT order team, I have been told that a transfer is not possible, but that I could cancel the existing line, and took another ADSL contract at the house in Morden. I should then either phone or email complain@btinternet.com, explain my case and that would get a refund for the remaining 12 months contract.
So I did. I cancelled the ADSL account in London, get a BT phone line installed in Morden, and a new BT Openworld ADSL account. I have then send an email to complain@btopenworld.com. eMail to which I have never received any reply.

All that to say. I am paying 2 ADSL connections: one in London and one in Morden. Few discussion with BT billing where leading nowhere other I have been mislead and I will have to pay for the remaining term of the 12 month contract at the location in London as well as for the contract in Morden. Could anyone accept that?

Later on (1st March 2002), BT charged on my credit card 119.97 without any notice of any sort. And few days ago (the 12th March 2002), I received a letter (dated of the 27 Feb2002, addressed to the flat I have left 3 month ago, and BT knew that: they've disconnected me!) that you where going to charge the remaining term of the ADSL contract with 2 weeks, for a total amount of 279.93. So to summarise, if I do understand you well, I will have to pay for ADSL BT openworld in London:

(9 * 39.99) + 119.97 + 279.93 = 759.81 hors installation.

I think 'Very nice' was BT staff comment when I told him that on the phone!
As a customer, I do not appreciate the fact that you can take 119.97 out of my credit card without any notification. Neither the fact that this account does not benefit from the ADSL price reduction, neither the fact that I have to pay for 2 ADSL connection overall despite what BT said initially, neither the fact that I have send BT an email to which they never replied.

After few discussion with BT billing department, who send me to the BT order department, (who send me back to billing department, who send me back to the order department ...bla, bla, bla,... I am not going to comment anymore on the incompetence of BT's staff. Sweet-talk, but no action whatsoever. Are BT really the 'Talk Together" company?), I've ended up with the conclusion that BT do not really want to offer any services to customers, but only steal as much money as thay can from their bank account. This might be a valid politic in the short term from BT's point of you, but I doubt that dealing with BT customer this way can be of any benefit for the future. You understand that I have lost complete confidence in BT and all the services they are supposed to provide.
To come back to the original problem, the only thing I wanted was to move ADSL line from 1 place to another one. I would agree to keep ADSL for an extra 12 month, and to pay for another installation. I know this is not a 'standard' request, but I do not believe that it is unfair. And I am sure that any 'reasonable person' would agree with me.

Any idea of what could be the my next move ?

or should I just forget about it, and after my 2nd 12 month contract, ditch BT completly (that is inc. phone of course)and go for a respectable ADSL provider ?

Thanks a lot for your ideas...

Jean-Marc
Old 17-March-2002, 13:21
fridgebuzz

jm paulin........I posted a thread about this.......give me a min and I'll find it.....

basically you'll just have to bite the bullet as things stand at the moment.

if you can afford two monthly subscriptions and another installation charge and ADSL is important to you for work then do it........

If it's purely for pleasure then I'd suggest waiting till you're initial contract is up and stick with dial up at the new address ( hard I know!).......unless you can afford it

back in a mo
Old 17-March-2002, 13:24
fridgebuzz

heres the link OK

http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/s...ghlight=moving

Good luck..and keep your sanity.....there is NOTHING you can do......maybe if enough of us did something then maybe things would change............

As things stand with me I have one month left to stick with a Tiscali ADSL line I dont use as it's still at my old address.

I am now on NTL Cable.
Old 17-March-2002, 13:27
fridgebuzz

I think I should add that one solution may be is have a word with the people buying your house and see if some kind of arrangement could be come to......they have the service and pay the bills........??

I tried this with the people that bought out house but it was a non starter.....many people are put off by the price
Old 17-March-2002, 13:28
gillbender

it seems unfair but thats what us early adopters of ADSL signed up too

F/B did you have to give 6 months notice to Tiscali to quit ADSL?

at least with these new wires only thingybobs the contract is short!
Old 17-March-2002, 13:33
fridgebuzz

gill yes I told them I was moving in September of last year......and I have until the end of April for my minimum years subscription to come to an end.....
Old 20-March-2002, 00:48
Battie

Having just read this thread it reminded me of something I read somewhere regarding these sorts of contracts. It does not help you out here Jean-Marc but it may be of use to someone else.

If you have an ISDN line installed then you have a similar one (or two??) year contract which is very difficult to get out of. If you want to upgrade to ADSL then you nominally have to get the ISDN uninstalled (at a cost) have to pay for the remaining period left on the ISDN contract (at another cost) and then have to pay for ADSL (the final cost). After a lot of complaints about this, BT actually came up with a scheme to transfer from ISDN to ADSL at only a moderate cost (compared to the above). They do not advertise this but it is available (so I am told). I don't have any info to hand to prove any of this but if you are in this position then its always worth asking the questions of BT.

I hope that is of use to someone.

Colin
Old 26-May-2002, 18:07
jm_paulin

Guess what...

I have managed to get a refund for the 6 month overlap between the old and the new ADSL Connection. so this worked out as just taking the ADSL over (ok, plus the 2nd connections fee, but that's much better than anything...

I've just rang billing, quoting their own site: http://www.btopenworld.com/helpbb/location
and they refund me the money paid on the old account from the date I had the new account. I belive that is pretty much fair. not ideal but at least fair.

Just a shame it took nearly 6 months to get there...
Old 26-May-2002, 18:19

Thumbs up

This just goes to show that if you feel you have been 'done' then you MUST pursue the issue. It is a pain (to put it mildly) but in the end there is a chance of reward.

jm_paulin
Congratulations. I think you have done well. If I understand it correctly, you are required to pay for 12 months, that's what the 'contract' requires. However, there are circumstances where, like yours, situations arise where some compassion is required. I am not suggesting that BT showed compassion but I believe that you have been asked to (eventually) pay a reasonable sum in the circumstances.
As you rightly say, it's just a pity that you've had to wait 6 months with all the hasstle that goes with it.

Tags
adsl, bt, cable, company, connection, credit, email, happy, internet, line, lost, offer, phone, talk, tiscali