Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Broadband Internet Access

Old 29-July-2003, 17:22

Default Tiscali ADSL Makes it Hard to Leave

Tiscali ADSL don't want to give their customers the option of easily changing ADSL providers, it should be simple since most ADSL companies are re-selling BTWholesale ADSL connections.

In order to swap between ADSL providers you have 2 options, the first is to terminate an existing ADSL contract and re-apply for ADSl at another ISP, this has the problem of leaving you without an ADSL connection while BT remove one ADSL connection and sometime later put another ADSL connection in, according to BT this can take 7-10 days perhaps longer. The second option is to obtain a CBUK number from your existing ADSL provider which your new provider can use to swap your connection almost seamlessly (1 hour downtime).

In conversation with BTWholesale they said it is easy for an ADSL ISP to obtain the CBUK number by contacting them, unfortunately they say they can't give the CBUK number direct to the end customer because of the data protection act.

Other ADSL ISPs let customers move freely between themselves and other ISPs but Tiscali appears to have a policy of not allowing consumers to swap providers, from a recent posting by a Tiscali Support Team member in the public Tiscali support forums:

We don't however supply your CBUK, because we have BT clear the line completely, so if you where to go to another ISP they would not need a CBUK cause your line would be free from BB.
Not good news for ADSL consumers, it seems Oftel should get involved as this practice does nothing to ensure competition.

Sil

PS, related <thread>:leaving tiscali ADSL CBUK numbers etc
Old 30-July-2003, 10:47
Screamager

Sil.

In reference to your link in the above post on the Tizwaz site, it seems now that the CBUK number IS given out after the 12 month contract is passed.

Quote from todays last reply from Customer Service 1.

The reason why tiscali will not give you your CBUK number is that you are in a 12 month contract with us, you cannot move to another ISP until your 12 month term is finished, once you are entitled to leave and have given your notice, we will be happy to disclose your CBUK, this is the policy for everyone.

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/forums/show...threadid=45298

So someone is telling porkies arent they, this crowd is unbelievable and why there hasnt been any Official body to stop this crap is beyond me, it seems they do as they please to all and anyone, with no respect to anyone regardless of what grief it causes, its time these people were taken out of the equation for good.
Old 30-July-2003, 10:53

Hi JohnnyReb,

sorry - I should have tried to give a more direct link,. the post is still there,,. try this link the quote I gave appears after the part you quoted,. i.e. that regardless of whether you've been there a year tiscali do not give out CBUK numbers.

Sil
Old 30-July-2003, 11:09
Screamager

Sil.

I think you have misssed the point.

That is the post I refered to, look at todays reply from Customer Service 1, it now, contradicts what he/she said in your previous quote.

Again with an additional sentence this time, which again confirms my previous reply.

The reason why tiscali will not give you your CBUK number is that you are in a 12 month contract with us, you cannot move to another ISP until your 12 month term is finished, once you are entitled to leave and have given your notice, we will be happy to disclose your CBUK, this is the policy for everyone.

If you are entitled to leave we will give you your CBUK, if not we won't, it's that simple.

This is in the very last reply.

PS. Seems to be 2 threads baring the same replies in most instances, but different ID numbers, the one I refer to is 45298, the other is 411321, in fact both have the same last reply.

Last edited by JohnnyReb51; 30-July-2003 at 11:28.
Old 30-July-2003, 11:25

ah, ok, thanks, well that directly contradicts what they said in the earlier post and also contradicts what support said when I called them.,

the post as you say added this morning says you can get your CBUK number - this post

well it's one thing to say you can have it - but no actual details on how to get it and experiance has shown it is not forthcoming,. I will mail the guy asking for the procedure

Sil
Old 30-July-2003, 11:30
Screamager

Sil.

It might come with your Pension book, so dont hold your breath. Lol.
Old 30-July-2003, 11:40

the support person isn't right anyway I think,. the part about not being given the CBUK until the 12 months seems wrong to me.

If I sign a contract and wish to terminate I can, I can get the ADSL disconnected, perhaps I will be forced to pay the remainder of the 12 months (or some other arrangement), lets say I moved house for instance,.

Well then what difference does it make whether they give you the CBUK number and you are bound by the 12 months contract, i.e. I don't think it's legitmate to withhold CBUK based on the ADSL contract or billing issues, tiscali do not own the phone line?

I have mailed the support person moderator1@tiscali.co.uk and await the response with interest.

Sil
Old 30-July-2003, 12:05
Screamager

I cant see what difference it makes either, no one should have the right to withhold their CBUK number.

My contract was nearing its end with my ISP a few weeks ago and I asked for my CBUK number in preparation of moving to another provider, it was given to me with no hesitation, I declined the move in the end and stayed with my present ISP, so what makes Tiscali so special that they have to prolong a release of the line, is it just to p*ss people off or what.

I am glad I got out of their clutches, when Tiscali took over, I was a DialUp customer from very early Localtel days up to the end of World Online, then enough was enough, so I pulled the plug.

Anyway, I hope you have success with your Indiana Jones adventure, because I think that is what it will end up as, not a simple end of contract release and move on to your next provider.
Old 30-July-2003, 23:42

according to the support person above (name or position within tiscali not forthcoming) customers should email broadbandcancellations@tiscali.co.uk to request their CBUK number. I would be *very* wary of this approach because according to the support person you will be given the number once you put in your cancellation, it's entirely possible you are going to end up with the equipment removed and a useless CBUK number, not to mention be without ADSL.

I would like to thank http://www.net4nowt.com http://www.ispreview.co.uk and http://www.adslguide.org.uk for all covering the story because the more people who know about this issue the better for all,..

It's true that other ADSL providers may make it difficult to obtain CBUK numbers* but that is all the more reason to highlight the practice, get Oftel involved and make it a common question consumers ask before choosing an ADSL provider, what possible use is a 1 month contract if on cancellation you have no ADSL connection for upto a month?

If you are in a similar position then contact oftel, it's very simple, goto http://www.oftel.gov.uk/consumer/adv...t_us/index.htm and lodge a complaint against the ISP perhaps something will be done,.

Hopefully Tiscali can provide a migration path for consumers both from and to their ISP,. watch this space (and complain if it affects you!)

Sil

*from searches of google it would appear AOL also withhold CBUK numbers from customers - though this practice may have changed now?
Old 05-August-2003, 11:19

ok - continuing saga,.

to recap,.

called tiscali on their ADSL support number 0870 7442922 - where upon I was unable to get them to tell me my CBUK number

called oftel and raised a complain,. if your ISP is being difficult raise a complaint - http://www.oftel.gov.uk/consumer/adv...t_us/index.htm and you can talk to them on the phone takes 5 minutes,.

2 days later tiscali call me back as a result of the oftel complaint and as if by magic are now able to give me the CBUK number associated with my line,.

at this point the tiscali guy tells me catagorically (whatever) that the CBUK is useless to me because tiscali do not support migration and therefore the line needs to be de-provisioned and re-provisioned.,, still investigating.,.,

Sil

PS,. also posted in <thread>:leaving tiscali ADSL CBUK numbers etc
Old 05-August-2003, 11:53

a number of reports (e.g. ispreview http://www.ispreview.co.uk/cgi-bin/n...yFlpZyTwCJqGmB ) say tiscali is going to allow migrations,. I think in large part this is because a number of sites covered the story

currently their support network knows nothing of this plan to allow migrations,. and tiscali still say you have to cease and re-provide,. so no change there,. yet..

I have put in a migration request via nildram to see what happens.,. (not holding out much hope!)

Sil
Old 07-August-2003, 10:39
Screaming net veteran

I suppose they could take an extreme approach to this bad service and terminate the line with BT.

Make sure of course you pay BT up to date.

Then get reconnected and another adsl.

I suppose that would still tie you into the years contract with Tiscali........

Had to laugh about the bull about the faulty modem.......that's an old BT chestnut......lol.........
Old 07-August-2003, 10:50
Screaming net veteran

Oftel ......silver.......... I found to be more useless than BT, in fact I strongly suspected they are getting backhanders from them to do nothing about any complaint.

Where do you think Tiscali have got their inspiration and methodology from?

As far as I can see Oftels only function is to provide the government with a named department that supposedly oversee and regualate ISPs and internet companies but in reality don't provide anything more than a name (Oftel) and a man to agree with you on the phone........that's it...........Oftel.........

Oftel are in fact biggest obstacle in the way of properly dealing wih these scam companies like BT and Tiscali.
Old 05-October-2003, 14:42

just to link things up - my experiances of trying to leave tiscali (nevermind adsl migration!) turned out to be quite a painful experiance..,

linked <thread>:ADSL swap to another provider - tiscali ADSL cbuk issues condensed

Sil
Old 22-October-2004, 08:44
jordana

Default Re: Tiscali ADSL Makes it Hard to Leave

22nd October 2004. My cut off date with Tiscali Broadband was 24th June 2004 and the ADSL has STILL not been removed from my telephone line. I have sent 4 'last and final payments' to enable Tiscali 'close my account' and free up my line, written to them 3 times, emailed and phoned what they laughingly call Customer Services countless times.

I rang BT again and after very persistent questioning they admitted that I could 'stop my line' and then 'reapply for service'. My phone number will remain the same but I will get a new BT Account Number and my monthly direct debits will have to be set up again. I did this all over the phone today and I was told that the Account will be stopped and a new one opened in 7 days time (29th October at 8AM) This will 'probably' enable me to sign up with a new broadband supplier. - I must emphasise that BT were NOT forthcoming with this suggestion - it was offered only after I said that if I couldn't get broadband I would no longer need a house phone :-)

BT do not charge for this service, although I'll obviously have to settle my old account if my regular payments have left a shortfall.

I will post again to let you know the results of this tactic :-)

In the meantime - please advise everyone you know NOT to sign up with Tiscali Broadband - their customer service is abysmal and they DO NOT answer their phones.

Last edited by jordana; 22-October-2004 at 09:02.
Old 22-October-2004, 09:09

Hi jordana,

That's probably the worst case that I've heard of tiscali failing to deprovision an ADSL connection (I've heard far too many tiscali problem stories!) - amazing..

Good luck and please do let us know how it goes!

Sil

PS, it sounds to me like tiscali should compensate you for the amout of hassle they've caused,. you might want to relay your story to them again via email to see what they say.. see <thread>:Contacting Tiscali
Old 22-October-2004, 11:30
Screaming net veteran

Yes it's a similar story with the standard dial up.... if you phone them you should really record your calls otherwise they promise this, that and the oher and later say this hasn't been said or agreed.
I had to help a neighbour get off their service and it really was a long haul, essentially their stalling tactics would have worked if the internet performance had been better but honestly at that time it slower than screaming,net was at it's very worst. After roughly the same period 6 months or so he finally got shot of them.
That's only because I was getting on their forum pages and detailing the difficulties and similarly warning people to get out of Tiscali.
This was late 2002 (tiscali).

I see the old mafioso methods are still being employed.... I said it before and I'll say it again ...... "Tiscali are now as bad or worse than BT"
and from me that is saying something pretty damning.

Tell me also, have you noticed a big increase lately in spam from your Tiscali accounts?..... (especially as I'm always meticulous in unticking all partner information of products boxes when you sign up to these services).

Let's hope someone shoots the Godfather and it dissolves and warner brothers or someone buys it.

Broadband........ I've recently switched companies.......Pipex to V21 ... and same again really Pipex are honest but try and make it difficult for you by witholding info beneficial to them......... I shoud have recorded the phone calls but didn't and landed myself with an extra 23.44 bill for a months service that I didn't get. Got to careful with all these companies ........read the small print.

I did find one thing though, ....you need a MAC (migration authorisaton code)(yes is designed to obfuscate and confuse you) to migrate to another company.....
And what I didn't know is that BT can give it to you, I found that out afterwards ..........once you've got that you let the company you're migrating to, you let them deal with Tiscali or whoever.

One other thing avoid the 0845 and 0870 numbers
as these are charged at BT rates.

see
http://www.saynoto0870.com/company_search.php

Look for Tiscali and get the geographical number and then go to http://18866.com/
sign up and phone these (tiscali) on their geographical number via the 18866 prefix number. ( if you don't already know it will cost you only 1p for however long they waffle on)
Old 30-October-2004, 00:23
jordana

Angry Re: Tiscali ADSL Makes it Hard to Leave

30/10/2004
Sadly, 'stopping my line' and then 'reapplying for service' with BT did not work. When I try to sign up with a new broadband supplier I'm still getting the 'no can do' message because there is already ADSL on my line. Really exasperating!
Old 30-October-2004, 01:58
Screaming net veteran

So what do BT have to say about your situation Jordana?

You could try the Tiscali forums and moan and complain to everyone there, tell everyone how bad the service and advise them not sign up to Tiscali's ADSL. ( the dial ups atrocious too)
might be enough to scare them into releasing your line.

(you shouldn't be in this situation though, it's breach of contract on their part)

(I did a similar when I had problems with getting through to Pipex.... it did actually seem to work---- similarly they didn't make it easy to leave and had a sting in the tail when I did)

Remember they spend many thousands advertising and you put a spanner in it by telling the truth at forums like this and theirs ...........and others........
Internet users will look at these reviews and it's easy to put off people who simply just go onto a service that's public praised rather than listen to advertising hyperbole that BT etc. pump out.....

Tiscali and BT should take heed.
Old 30-October-2004, 12:16
jordana

I sent this email to OfCom - so hopefully they will take action on my behalf!

"I have cancelled my contract with Tiscal Broadband after 2 years. I was given a cancellation date of 24th June 2004. A further three direct debits were taken and in addition I posted a cheque for a 4th payment which they said I owed them. Despite numerous phone calls and letters to their customer services department, the ADSL has still not been removed from my telephone line. This is preventing me from signing up with a new broadband supplier.

I contacted BT and they stopped and re-connected my phone line but this has also failed to remove the ADSL from my line.

This is a known issue with Tiscali - http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/s...7&page=1&pp=15 details my and other peoples experiences when trying to migrate our broadband services.

Tiscali are not listed in the CISAS directory.

My Tiscali Customer Account Code:********
My phone number is *********
My address is *****

Today I received a letter from Tiscali dated 22nd October asking me to resume my direct debit payments - which clearly shows they have no intention of releasing my phone line - in fact the only communication I have ever received from them is when they ask me for more money!"
Old 30-October-2004, 12:38

well it was worth a go trying to drop the line through BT - but I guess we now know it don't work

Did you try emailing / contacting them using the 'special' email <thread>:Contacting Tiscali - generally they will answer these and do generally do the right thing once you contact them like this.. (tho of course most of tiscalis users don't know abt this and are screwed!)..

Sil
Old 30-October-2004, 12:57
jordana

Tiscali are no longer monitoring that thread - I sent an email to the alternative address given in its place a couple of days ago. Guess what? They did NOT reply!!! - and the broadbandcancellations@tiscali.co.uk address was bounced straight back to me as undeliverable.

I received this automated reply from complaints@uk.tiscali.com - I got this address from the Tiscali forum - thanks for that suggestion :-)

Thank you for contacting Tiscali Complaint Management/Resolution Team.

Please be assured that Tiscali takes all complaints very seriously.

We are currently investigating your issue and you should expect to receive a response within the next 10 working days, although we will always where possible, try to respond sooner.

Yours faithfully

Tiscali Complaint Management/Resolution Team
Old 30-October-2004, 13:02
Screaming net veteran

A letter to your local MP and even the Prime ministers office won't do any harm either.

This is really criminal extortion of money..........

Why don't the powers that be stamp on this heavily. I guess it's how these companies become so big.

The government should order them to refund any monies overdue or taken wrongly after the cease date.
Fine them a million a day for each day that they stall the refunds.

Also fine them 50,000,000 and threaten to withhold their licence to operate in the UK. Failure to pay would resort in government seizure of all UK assets and infrastructure and a freeze on any bank accounts here.

That ought to do the trick.
Old 30-October-2004, 13:14
Screaming net veteran

When I tried to move from Pipex they claimed their emails were answered within 2 days. 10 days later I was still waiting and posting duplicates every 12 hours.
Didn't work btw .......... anyway it's only when I started flooding the various forums like ispreview, scream etc. that there was any response.
Just go the Tiscalii forums and start new threads as you can in different sections to warn people ............

something like:

Tiscalli is it official: the worst isp provider in Europe!
Tiscali .........fingers in the till again.....
Mafia and Tiscali extortion in Britain.
Government and oftel scared by Tiscalione godfathers.
WARNING
If you're thinking of going Tiscali broadband ...DON'T.....

take it from there......you know the sort of thing. May as well get something for your 29.99 a month!
Old 10-November-2004, 23:28
jordana

Unhappy Re: Tiscali ADSL Makes it Hard to Leave

10/11/2004 - I'm still not free of Tiscali's ADSL! I just sent the following message to Watchdog - http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/contact/
Maybe that will help :-) Ofcom were pretty feeble really but have promised to ask Tiscali to contact me so they can resolve the issue with me.
That was last Thursday and I still haven't heard anything - I'm to call Ofcom back if I've heard nothing after 5 working days...

"At the beginning of April I wrote to Tiscali to give the required 30 days notice of cancellation of my Broadband Service. They called me and told me that the service would be terminated on 24th June 2004. However the service was not cancelled until October - they continued to collect a further 3 Direct Debits from my account and in addition I also sent a final months payment when they wrote to me to say I was in arrears. They have still not removed the ADSL from my line, which prevents me from signing up with a new broadband supplier. BT can't remove the ADSL without authorisation from Tiscali. Tiscaly have not replied to my emails and letters to customer services. The helpline is either left unanswered - and when I managed to speak to an operator last Thursday she said their computers had just gone down and she was unable to do anything to help. My subsequent calls remained unanswered.
Ofcom have agreed to tell Tiscali to call me and I was told last Thursday that if Tiscali did not contact me within 5 working days I should let Ofcom know. I have heard nothing from Tiscali.

Fees for Tiscali Broadband Serivce were 26.99 per month reduced to 24.99 after I wrote to cancel my contract. I am currently paying 'pay as you go' telephone charges with alternative Dial Up ISPs.

Lots of people seem to be having the same problem - the link to just one of many discussion threads is http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/t9257.html

I believe that people should be warned about Tiscali's appalling service and their unscrupulous methods of preventing disatisfied customers from signing up with alternative suppliers."

Thanks for all the suggestions and commiseration - I'll keep you posted on further developments - if there are any!!! :-)
Old 10-November-2004, 23:42

It's amazing that tiscali can't sort out something so simple, it's not like they haven't had the practice!

Ofcom is a good route to go,. they will get tiscali to contact you (least it worked for me but that was when it was oftel!).

The other place if you want to spread your bets is http://www.ispa.org.uk/html/consumer...ints_form.html - again I used them when tiscali was messing me abt and that worked also

Good luck!

Sil
Old 13-December-2004, 00:10
jordana

I am finally free of Tiscali :-) It took just over 8 months from posting my 30 days notice of cancellation on 4th April 2004 to getting a new broadband connection with wanadoo which was activated on 10th December.

I wish I could tell you what finally worked - I tried absolutely everything at least three times!!! Tiscali sent a letter informing me that the request to remove the ADSL from my line had been sent to BT on 1st December - Immediately after I emailed the following to Ofcom...

I have still not heard anything from Tiscali at all - and the ADSL has still not been removed from my telephone line. I wrote to Tiscali Customer Services and asked for my complaint to be escalated on the 11th November. They have not replied to my letter. I have complained to Otelo today through the online complaints form but I felt you should know that Tiscali are obviously not taking Ofcom seriously.

Maybe just a coincidence but I'd like to think that someone in Tiscali got a right royal ear-bashing...

Best of luck to everyone who is still struggling to get free from this insidious company!
Old 13-December-2004, 02:11

congrats!

it's amazing how one company can cause so much misery, jus tell everyone you know how bad they are and hopefully word will spread... well one can only hope!

Sil
Old 15-January-2005, 14:36
Chris Rowan

On 12th Dec. I lost my broadband connection with Tiscali. After endless phone calls to India, and two or three 'escalations' to Milton Keynes Tech support, it is revealed that Tiscali had migrated customers from their BT lines onto their new network (without warning!). My line was incompatible. Eventually an advisor told me I would never get a connection on the upgraded line and authorized an engineer to put me back on BT. I had a connection! - until 24 hours later (24th Dec), when another engineer, under different instructions put me back on the upgraded Tiscali network (they needed to standardise!) And there I have stayed - with no connection until 7 th January, when I was finally able to cancel the service. Of course, connection within 24 hours, or even 48, was promised over and over again.

I bought a new modem/ router under advice from India.

After approximately 80 phone calls (a low estimate), the issue was not resolved.

Tiscali have it sown up. Once you are escalated to Milton Keynes tech support, contact with tiscali is over. They deliberately withhold their phone number, so you rely on tech support to contact you. Many of my 80 calls were spent chasing up promised calls that never came. During one call I was rudely told "unless you get off the line, the engineers won't be able to do anything, Sir, will they?"

The final slap in the face? Tiscali offer me a 5 'goodwill gesture' (I guess I'm fortunate!), but no compensation is forthcoming - after all, it was I who cancelled the service, while they were still promising one! Contact with complaints is also impossible except in writing - and responses come in the form of standard apologies, but no action.

I am not impressed - but at least my line is due to be inactivated on 19th and I wont have to wait 8 months as some have!

Thanks for the links on good places to complain to - I will use them.
Old 15-January-2005, 14:47

Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear about your problems with tiscali, at least you are able to cancel

Some other good places to put in a complain, ISPA and OFCOM are the two main places - plus lots of others listed in <thread>:Tiscali Broadband - Where to complain

Sil

PS, welcome to TS!

Tags
adsl, aol, bad, broadband, bt, company, computer, connection, deals, email, failure, google, happy, internet, isp, line, mail, make, modem, network, ofcom, online, phone, public, rates, reviews, scam, speeds, talk, tiscali, tiscali broadband