Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Networking

Old 29-July-2004, 01:41
apieroux

Unhappy Entire Network missing!

Hi

Can anyone help. I've been playing around with a home wireless network and somewhere along the line my XP Pro PC has lost the ability to see the 'Microsoft Windows Network' entry in Network Places - all I get is "My Web Sites on MSN' - from there I cant see the entire network. Its fine on a laptop running XP Home wirelessly and another PC running XP Pro networked over ethernet to the same hub.

I've tried running the network setup wizard and it used to be there, but now its vanished and I have no idea how to get it back?

Any suggestions, cos its driving me mad!!

Thanks

Andy
Old 29-July-2004, 19:16
thumpert

Andy,

When you look at the network properties of the network adapter on your XP Pro machine, what client does it say is attached?

You could try removing the client and adding Client for MS Networks again to see if it puts it all back the way it was.

Derek T
Old 15-September-2004, 13:02
apieroux

Hi

Thanks for the initial response - this had gone down my to do list for various personal reasons, but I'm picking up the baton again!

'Client for Microsoft Networks' is installed under the properties of my network adapter and I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling this.

I've gone back to my original disk and tried reinstalling network components too.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Andy
Old 20-January-2005, 00:11
BiTbOt

Default Re: Entire Network missing!

under xp the microsoft network icon is not present in my network places. look on the left from that window and click View Workgroup Computers you should see here all the computers in the current workgroup. clicking the UP a LEVEL button (folder with an arrow on it) will take you up to the workgroups available, upagain and you will see Microsoft Windows Network, Windows Terminal Services and maybe some others. in the address bar of the explorer window its says Entire network Up Again takes you back to My Network Places

Hope this help you find what you want

You will however see the microsoft network enrt when you try and Add a network place.

hope this is of some help
Old 09-October-2007, 23:00
Tombstone

Wink Re: Entire Network missing!

You can find Entire Network by starting Windows Explorer (All Programs > Accessories ) by going to the Run command (Windows key + R ) on your start menu. Type in "explorer" (with out the quotes) and it will open a window with a list of folders on the left hand side. You click on "My Network Places" and you will then see "Entire Network" under it on the left hand side.

Alternatively you can open up explorer by right clicking on any folder and clicking the "explore" option

(ps, sorry if I posted in old thread, but its linked to on google, and I thought I'd tell people how to find it)
Old 06-February-2008, 06:14
vega

Cool Re: Entire Network missing!

another case of Microsoft imposing their will on you ......

to restore the icons

goto System Properties (Control Panel / System)
Select the Advanced tab.
Click on Settings under Performance.
Scroll down to the bottom of the list of check boxes, and un check the third one from the bottom "Use common tasks and folders".
Old 29-March-2008, 21:07
FUBARinSFO

Vega:

Actually, I don't think your solution solves the problem he was asking about. You are referring to the common tasks view on the left pane, rather than the folder tree view he may have been looking at

I just had the same problem, where the "Entire network" under "My Network Places" was missing, though all the shared folders were displayed. Somehow I got it restored, and I think what did it was pressing "restore defaults" under Explorer Tools | Folder Options | View <Restore Defaults>

-- Roy Zider
Old 15-May-2008, 07:19
GuyI

I just had the same problem, where the "Entire network" under "My Network Places" was missing, though all the shared folders were displayed. Somehow I got it restored, and I think what did it was pressing "restore defaults" under Explorer Tools | Folder Options | View <Restore Defaults>
Originally Posted by FUBARinSFO View Post
Had the same problem... but your solution solved it!
Old 26-May-2008, 04:35
WildHorses

Thumbs up Re: Entire Network missing!

I had the same problem, and that solution worked for me as well! Thanks!
Old 26-May-2008, 04:42
WildHorses

Question Re: Entire Network missing!

I spoke too soon. This solution worked only while Explorer was open. When I closed Explorer and opened it again, 'Entire Network' was missing again. How do I make the fix permanent?
Old 26-May-2008, 04:50
WildHorses

Smile Re: Entire Network missing!

Okay, sorry to keep posting, but I have found at least a workaround. When in Explorer, expand 'My Network Places' by clicking the '+', not by clicking on the name. Every time I do it this way, 'Entire Network' is shown. Every time I click 'My Network Places' to expand it, 'Entire Network' is not shown. It is not necessary to use the restore defaults procedure mentioned above.
Old 12-March-2009, 01:43
Adelaide Dave

Wink Re: Entire Network missing!

Amazing, I had the same problem after some network changes and the expansion trick worked for me. Thanks
Old 24-April-2009, 21:25
mrivard

Well i had the same problem and i solved it that way. First right click on my network place and select explore, second open my network place by double clicking om my network place. now drag the entire network icon showing in the first window with the right button to second window and select create a shortcut. ta daa now it will show. hope that helped.
Old 06-January-2010, 19:51
guest888

it worked for me too. Thank you!
Old 19-March-2010, 20:49
hellokitty

Well i had the same problem and i solved it that way. First right click on my network place and select explore, second open my network place by double clicking om my network place. now drag the entire network icon showing in the first window with the right button to second window and select create a shortcut. ta daa now it will show. hope that helped.
Originally Posted by mrivard View Post
this one helped me. thanks
Old 10-April-2010, 07:45
S.N.Jayaraman

Had the same problem. In my case Uninstalling, rebooting and installing the 'Client for Microsoft Networks' solved the problem.

Tags
google, home, hub, key, laptop, line, lost, make, network, settings, tools, web, windows, wireless