Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Networking

Old 23-January-2010, 14:36
Screamager

Default Creating WiFi using Wimax as signal source?

I am considering a Wimax USB dongle for my laptop which will allow access to the Internet anywhere in the Wimax service area. I would also like to create a Wifi at home using the Wimax dongle as the feed.

Would it be possible to use another USB port on my laptop to feed the signal back out of the laptop to a Wifi Access Point?

Firstly, how would the incoming signal from one USB port be routed back out of the laptop via a second USB port? Would specific software be required, and is there any?

Secondly, all of the access points that I have seen have a RJ45 input rather than a USB input, so would one use a cable with a USB Male A on one end and a RJ45 on the other (i.e., a specific purpose cable designed for the task), or are there access points with USB inputs which would allow use of an ordinary USB cable withType A male on both ends?

Alternatively, is there such thing as an access point that will allow the Wimax USB dongle to be just plugged into the AP and used as the signal source? (I assume that one cannot just use the sort of cable mentioned above under "Firstly" to connect the two due to wiring mapping issues?)
Old 23-January-2010, 15:52

Default Re: Creating WiFi using Wimax as signal source?

Alternatively, is there such thing as an access point that will allow the Wimax USB dongle to be just plugged into the AP and used as the signal source? (I assume that one cannot just use the sort of cable mentioned above under "Firstly" to connect the two due to wiring mapping issues?)
Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
you can indeed get routers that accept USB wireless dongles as their internet connection, that would be the most straight forward way (I dont think they are too expensive)

sharing the USB dongle via a laptop or other PC is possible, you need to setup 'ICS' on the PC that has the internet (at least that's what it used to be called 'internet connection sharing') something here may help http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/sharing.htm
Old 26-January-2010, 04:29
Screamager

Default Re: Creating WiFi using Wimax as signal source?

Hello Sil,

Apology for the sudden disappearance. My hot girl friend (also wife) for 33 years took me off to a music filled weekend elsewhere away from computers.

In retrospect, I should have been more informative about my objective. What I want to do is to tie a WiFi access point in the form of a wifi router that I already own (thus avoiding purchase of yet more equipment) to the signal from the USB dongle through my Windows XP Home laptop.

The question about an access point with a USB input was really a (premature) "fall-back" question in case there is no other way to do it.

Thanks for the URL. Will have a read through and see how I get on.

robert

Tags
cable, connection, forward, home, internet, laptop, music, port, router, software, windows, wireless