Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Networking

Old 11-July-2010, 13:19
zillah

Default NAS storage (LACIE D2 Network) protect folders being accessed by anonymous

Hi

Client of mine has got NAS storage (LACIE D2 Network) for a backup purpose at central office.

Private ip address 192.168.0.50 for LACIE D2 Network was mapped to a public ip address for the router which is 23x.45.5x.7x

The remote PC (at remote location) uses Free SynBack to do a backup via FTP (username and password and public ip address 23x.45.5x.7x used) option to the LACIE D2 Network ( at central location).

I do not have any concern about the backup because it is working fine without any problem.

But when I type in a browser ftp:// 23x.45.5x.7x,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I can access all folders and files ,,,,,means any one can access those files and folders.

How can I protect those files , because I could not find an option through NAS storage configuration to protect that from being accessed by anonymous ??

Thanks
Old 11-July-2010, 23:48

Default Re: NAS storage (LACIE D2 Network) protect folders being accessed by anonymous

it should be possible to set an ftp password on the lacie?

also on some routers can do port map can also restrict the port mapping to specific remote IP addresses (so the ftp will not be seen unless connecting from specified IP)

I would do both if possible, also while the lacie can do ftp, can it instead offer secure ftp or something which is ssh based so all data / access is sent over encrypted link

finally another idea,. if the router can work as a vpn endpoint and vpn to the router then make the lacie / ftp only accessible via that method
Old 12-July-2010, 00:32
zillah

Default Re: NAS storage (LACIE D2 Network) protect folders being accessed by anonymous

Hi Silver
it should be possible to set an ftp password on the lacie?
I could not find that option therefore i posted my question ,,,,,,,,,,yes there are FTP username and password were set for SynBack program for the backup purpose , but I could not find a password that prevent access from public.

http://www.lacie.com/download/datash...Network_en.pdf

also on some routers can do port map can also restrict the port mapping to specific remote IP addresses (so the ftp will not be seen unless connecting from specified IP)
I guess you meant this

http://i30.tinypic.com/8x0745.jpg

if the router can work as a vpn endpoint
It can not act as vpn server unfortunately

also while the lacie can do ftp, can it instead offer secure ftp or something which is ssh based so all data / access is sent over encrypted link
I will check and see although I doubt it has that feature but I have to check that

Thanks

Tags
feature, files, free, make, network, offer, port, public, router