Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > General Software

View Poll Results: Vote for the best download manager you have used!
Alligator 1.3 0 0%
Download Accelerator Plus 5.0 12 20.69%
Download Assistant 1.6 or Download Butler 2.21lc 0 0%
Download Wonder 1.55 1 1.72%
FlashGet 0.96a 13 22.41%
GetRight 4.5 21 36.21%
Go!Zilla 3.9 5 8.62%
netVampire 3.3 1 1.72%
RealDownload 4.0 1 1.72%
None of these (please post comments) 4 6.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30-September-2001, 21:22
Safe Sane Consensual

Default Download Managers

Needed a reliable download of a massive video editing program (6 hours total) and this coincided with a review of managers in the fortnightly Webuser, Issue 14 (20th Sept - 3rd October) covers 10 such programs.

Webuser

Pleased to see that the review covered firewall issues.

Two programs did not have a facility to resume broken downloads and thus got a two star rating:-

Download Assistant and
Download Butler

RealDownload v4
Was criticised for not being able to cope with password protected FTP sites and did not have the alternative site search, scan for viruses and file organiser of other programs. Both RealDownload and
Alligator 1.3
each received three star ratings.

Go!Zilla 3.9 received a four star rating.

Edit - added 1st Oct Download Accelerator Plus 5.0 received a four star rating but may have lost out for not having virus scan or file organiser.

GetRight 4.5 received a four star rating and a bronze award.

Flashget 0.96a received a four star rating and a silver award

Download Wonder 1.55 was the only product to receive a five star rating and was given a gold award.

Wonder how these reviews tie in with other people's experiences.

I opted for Download Wonder and I have been pleased with the way it coped with the download of a three hour video editing program (the six hour one is still to come!)

I was not pleased with the way that RealDownload would not give up it's default status after electing Download Wonder to be the new default. Had to uninstall RealDownload to excommunicate it!!!

Adverts on Download Wonder are much less intrusive that those on RealDowload being just a small pane at the base of the menu.

There is however a market research form to complete during the installation stage. If the program is put in your start tray you will get the market research questions pop up when loading Windows. You don't have to fill it in but three clicks are needed to clear.

It costs 20 to eliminate ads and a small intrusion panel.

Edit see in checking these links Flashget 0.96a has claims to faster downloads... speed was not a consideration in the Webuser tests. Flashget was criticised as only being available as a Zip.file

Last edited by Worldlife; 01-October-2001 at 11:09.
Old 30-September-2001, 21:33

Interesting - thanks

I've used flashget (aka fastcar) for quite a while now and compared to getright (which I used to use) I reckon its better. Flashget has most of the stuff other DL progs have but it's way quick

Will take a look at that one you mention tho, what makes the reviewer say that DL wonder is better than flashget ?

Sil
Old 30-September-2001, 21:49
Screamer

I use GetRight, always been reliable and doesn't contain any spyware unlike a couple of the others.

Regards

BS
Old 30-September-2001, 21:58
Safe Sane Consensual

Download Manager 1.55
Download Wonder, put simply, has it all. It integrates with your web browser to intercept downloads it can deal with; you can pause and resume; there's a filing system for organising downloads when they arrive; and when you install it you're asked where your anti-virus software lives so it can scan items as they arrive. It is easy to use, and it even does clever things like prodding the dial-up link every so often tomake sure your ISP won't cut you off for being inactive.
If you're happy to live with ad banners flying about the place, Download Wonder doesn't cost you anything. But frankly, just spend the measly 20 to eradicate the ads - it's a small price for such a well-implemented package
I see that FlashGet has an alternative site search feature that is not in Download Wonder.

The only criticism of FlashGet was that it comes in Zip files and so the user will need a copy of WinZip software before it can be installed. Don't see this as a serious problem though but wonder if it was a cause of losing a star!
Old 30-September-2001, 22:05

ahh - thanks, I've not tried DL wonder, but one of the things I like abt flashget is the way it shows you the threads working away you can also watch the http/ftp requests which is handy if things are going wrong with a particular DL. You can choose how many DL threads are used, it's very complete and DLs go very quick.

I think most ppl have winzip installed so I can't see it as a big problem

Sil

PS, one thing I prefer with DL managers in the ability for them not to 'intercept' browser clicks which can be very annoying!
Old 30-September-2001, 22:09
Trance Addict

Seems that Download Accelerator got left out, I use that, no nasty spyware, just a plain and simple download manager. I find that GoZilla slows my system down, and I didn't like GetRight too much because it always shows the downloads in bytes (I prefer to work in megs)

Behemoth
Old 30-September-2001, 22:27
Safe Sane Consensual

Seen your 'lead' on the front page to this thread.

Wonder if it might be worth while setting a poll that asks:-

Please vote for one the listed download managers if you are using it and find it to be satisfactory.
If you have used several please vote for the one you have found to give the best service.

1-10 (List the ten download manager in alphabetic order and
11 Use a download manager not listed above (specify)
12 Dissatisfied with manager (specify brand and reasons by posting please)

Could it be inserted in this thread or does it now have to be a separate poll?
Old 30-September-2001, 22:35
Safe Sane Consensual

Apologies.....

Download Accelerator Plus 5.0 got left behind.

It received a four star rating but may have lost out for not having virus scan or file organiser.

That should make ten products reviewed and ten links to the producers sites.

Think it is now time for a Lemsip and to turn in for the night

Old 30-September-2001, 23:01

not sure abt poll - can try it tomorrow perhaps

The anti-virus function is perhaps a red herring tho, most every anti-virus package has an option to 'scan files in realtime' which means any file that gets put onto the PC is checked automatically. I guess if you don't have your AV package set like that its useful

Sil
Old 30-September-2001, 23:19

I have to disagree with Bluescrew here: Getright DOES include spyware - at least the version I tried did. AdAware found it and I deleted the thing.
Old 30-September-2001, 23:54

btw - that version of flashget installs radiate 'spyware', I have a registered copy so registered it an removed the spyware. Spyware can be found / removed see Ad-aware 5.6 released )

Sil
Old 01-October-2001, 08:04
Safe Sane Consensual

Default Download managers - brand loyalty polll

A chance to cast a vote for your favourite download manager.
Old 01-October-2001, 08:21
Safe Sane Consensual

Default Draft poll for download manager users

Silv... draft poll added. Please feel free to amend (see title needs a ! instead of a third "l" in poll. or hold in suspended animation if you feel it is not quite right.
Old 01-October-2001, 10:02
NA-RYAN

Voted for Flashget.

I used to be a Getright (registered) user.
But the last few updates have made the program unstable plus the new nag to donate more money annoyed me.

Granted Flashget does contain the Aurate Spyware but since it's now controlled via the IPC server program you can block that with a firewall.

And after a few days of usage I paid the $15 registration fee.
And unlike Getright atleast when I have mIRC running it does not cause the PC to crash because it too stupid to realise that another program has started the dialup.

With Getright my average download per hour was 18mb.
With Flashget I get about 21mb.

I have tried others like GO!ZILLA (made my PC very unstable)
DAP was ok untill I found out that everytime it starts to download it sends out personal info about you.
Old 01-October-2001, 10:03
Screamager

I've tried a few of them....

GoZilla, Download Accelerator, GetRight, and Flashget.

Flashget has to be my favorite too

I wouldn't use it unregistered though, as Sil says....its got some nasty Radiate/Aureate advertising with the free version.
I can't see a problem with the file being zipped either, there are plenty of programs out there that will unzip files for you, and most people use Winzip anyway I think.

In fact, a large proportion of my downloads are zipped, I prefer them to be compressed in some way as it saves download time even further.

'Slo
Old 01-October-2001, 12:53
Screamager

Only reason I prefer flashget was Getright keeps re-enabling itself and downloaing stuff thats on pause, at least flashget does what its told
Old 01-October-2001, 18:04
我們被注定

Used to use Gozzila up until yesterday! Now I'm using Flasheget. Very similar to Gozilla but much quicker. One of the advantages of not using Gozilla anymore, is not having the "S**T* scared out of me when a download finishes

"Thinking about what you might not be able to control, only wastes time and energy, till it eventually becomes your enemy."
Old 01-October-2001, 18:44
Screamager

@ Beef

I know exactly what you mean

'Slo
Old 01-October-2001, 19:08

Yup, flashget too. You can remove the aureate stuff and it will still work fine. Like the site explorer and the feature that lets you download multiple files that match some pattern, eg file001.zip file002.zip or file.r01 file.r02 etc..

I did write up a quick review of some download accelerators for the site, but **** knows where it got too
Old 02-October-2001, 10:25
Screamer

I find net vampire 4 brilliant. Holds a a solid good download speed, doesnt cause your surfing to totaly die. Never had corrupted files. Resume works.
Gozilla and download extra caused me corrupt files aswell as a varied download speed.
JC
Old 03-October-2001, 14:20
jumbo junior

I also use flashget w/o aureate its multiple streams give good speeds and its download all function is very handy. But it is not as easy to add mirrors as it is with Gozilla which somewhat defeats the object of the multiple streams.

jumbo
Old 07-October-2001, 21:09
DigitalAlex

U don't need Winzip if u have windows me/XP either!
Old 10-October-2001, 12:21
gadgett

hi

Thanks for the use of the poll - informative

Well, i am a humble D'loader, no big stuff. I have tried most and given them a good try within my working framework and found Download Accelerator Plus 5.0 the one for me. It is fast, efficient and does the job every time.

So for small 'game' its Download Accelerator Plus 5.0

Gadgeeeeee eeeeeeeeeee
Old 10-October-2001, 22:49
Safe Sane Consensual

Download Wonder does not always kick in to monitor a download.. even if it is an "exe" file.

Have a long video program (8hrs) to download and DW failed.

Thought I would try FlashGet but this program too failed the intercept from

https://www.buyonet.com/servlets/ver...download?code= series of numbers deleted for security reasons

Guess you gurus would smile at my attempt to put the above in the URL box...again no luck!!

Maybe I'll wait three or four days for the back up CD and use that instead.

(The trial program of Ulead VideoStudio 5 was successfully monitored by Download Manager and is the first editing suite to return edited DV material from computer to Sony DV camcorder successfully).
Old 10-October-2001, 22:57

some sites practice 'url obfuscation' to stop ppl 'hot-linking' them to other sites, there's generally a way round it, I normally check my http proxy logs (all my http goes via a local proxy), but there's other ways if you don't have http proxy (can't think offhand)..

Sil
Old 13-October-2001, 20:10
Safe Sane Consensual

You are absolutely right Silv

Contacting the on-line retail section they gave details of their own Download Manager program that I downloaded and used...unsuccessfully. It died twenty seconds into download of the video editing program!

Informed their technical support and an upgraded download program was forwarded by email. This one actually worked.

The manuals were on an FTP site in the form of Adobe Acrobat files. One manual downloaded ok (with Download Wonder) and I was able to open it. The other created a small "exe" file that executed absolutely nothing!!

However I eventually got the second manual by using "File" and "Save Target As" options. Wondering if this a usual download procedure for FTP sites or if the normal download procedure failure was just a glitch for this particular manual.
Old 15-October-2001, 22:21
squidgy

I usually use SmartFTP for all FTP downloads. Mind you, I think it could be improved upon, I'd like to see an FTP client that was able to automate the whole process of uploading files to a remote personal storage area (so that it can be resumed if you lose the connection), then remotely transfer it over to a ratio server, then transfer back as many previously chosen files as the ratio credit allows you (you do it remotely because it's faster, especially if you only have dial-up, and are therefore less likely to lose your ratio credit as a result of a lost connection), and then download the files from your personal storage area (again, resuming if you lose the connection).

Is that too much to ask?

One criticism of SmartFTP is that if you try passive mode transfers, and the remote server says IP address 192.168.0.3 or something, then SmartFTP isn't intelligent enough to realise that this can't possibly work, because you can't reference an IP address like that over the internet. Ideally you should be able to switch to active mode instead in the event that this happens. Perhaps the same thing could be said of a lot of other FTP clients, though.

As for HTTP downloads, yep, I usually use Internet Explorer. I find that the chances of being able to resume downloads is increased if you add the link to the file to your favourites, then close the browser, clear the Temporary Internet Files, then reopen the browser and click on the favourite you've just made. In the event that you lose the connection, simply re-establish it and click on the favourite again, or on "Go" by the right hand side of the address bar. Note, however, that this is unlikely to work if you do some web surfing in other windows of Internet Explorer or skins of it. If you want to load other web pages at the same time, it's best to use a separate browser, such as Opera or Netscape Navigator.

Having said that, I'd like to see an HTTP download manager, with manual cookie control, and referrer spoofing. One criticism of Gozilla is that it doesn't seem to be possible to open partially downloaded files. If you're downloading an MP3 or MPEG, but it's only partly downloaded, you can copy it, and play the copy of what you have so far with any multimedia software .... but not if it's a download that Gozilla is doing.
Old 17-October-2001, 13:54

Having said that, I'd like to see an HTTP download manager, with manual cookie control, and referrer spoofing.
Try Flashget, it definitely lets you specify a referer, not sure about cookies though..
Old 18-November-2001, 17:45

was jus looking at flashget options an whether its only on the latest version - but it does allow you to specify a virus scan on files it has downloaded

Sil
Old 28-November-2001, 20:46

for a review of which download managers have spyware / adware see http://accs-net.com/smallfish/dloaders.htm - nice site

Sil

Tags
accelerator, car, computer, connection, email, failure, feature, files, free, happy, home, internet, lost, make, modem, poll, product, registration, reviews, security, sharing, slow, software, sound, speed, virus, web, windows