Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Networking

Old 17-June-2008, 14:36
Talon

Unhappy RPC Error - only when adding networks (even virtual)

Hi. I must first point out I do not have the MSBlaster worm (never have) and for 90% of the time, my PC behaves itself. BUT......

On a semi-regular basis, the RPC service fails when a new network becomes active. It could be connecting the ethernet cable which does it, or enabling the bluetooth. Even connecting my Windows Mobile phone for active sync can cause the RPC failure error (because it creates a virtual network via the USB).

Has anyone else experienced this? I've changed the service settings so it doesn't instantly reboot, but it still requires a restart a while later to restore full operation.

Can't seem to pin this one down. Sometimes you can add a network without problems, while other times it will kill the RPC service. As long as the network is active from XP boot-up, you get no problems with it (even after standby or hibernation).

All the RPC information on the net just point to "you have a virus" when I clearly don't (it's also been fully virus scanned) and it works for days connected to the net if you don't enable any other networks.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old 17-June-2008, 16:44
Screamager

Default Re: RPC Error - only when adding networks (even virtual)

What is the exact error message and how is it presented ? (eg, popup, event-log)

'Slo
Old 17-June-2008, 17:25
Talon

I don't have the actual error box (will capture on next occurence) but the event log has...

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7031
Date: 17/06/2008
Time: 14:00:13
User: N/A
Computer: NOTE-XP
Description:
The Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Nothing either side of the error to indicate anything. About a minute after the RPC service fails, it's logged as restarted then Event Log service restarts and things continue on as normal.

Cheers.
Old 18-June-2008, 08:51
Screamager

Tricky one, like you say most references to this seem to point at LoveSANor MSBlaster worms. I won't hassle you to scan you system again since you say you have alredy done so, but it might be worth just running it through a different scanning engine to your usual one to make sure from time to time. What AV do you use by the way ?

The other thing to check would be to remove any unnecessary client, service, or protocol items from your network connection properties. If you need more help with that then please ask and i'll explain, but i'm sensing you have a good understanding already

Update your network drivers, if an update is available, and install any services packs or OS updates (take take with XP SP3 if you have an AMD).

'Slo
Old 06-August-2008, 17:44
Talon

OK, it's been a while and I *think* I've finally nailed this one ;-)

Disabled the "NVIDIA Display Driver Service" which apparently, "Provides system and desktop support to the NVIDIA display driver". Well, with it disabled, the RPC service has not crashed once and I've yet to see something affected by this service not running. Display driver and all options/apps have not noticed it's turned off!

What it had to do with networking I've no idea - answers on a postcard!!

Hope this helps someone else.
Old 14-August-2008, 00:31
anthares

Thumbs up Re: RPC Error - only when adding networks (even virtual)

OK, it's been a while and I *think* I've finally nailed this one ;-)

Disabled the "NVIDIA Display Driver Service" which apparently, "Provides system and desktop support to the NVIDIA display driver". Well, with it disabled, the RPC service has not crashed once and I've yet to see something affected by this service not running. Display driver and all options/apps have not noticed it's turned off!

What it had to do with networking I've no idea - answers on a postcard!!

Hope this helps someone else.
Originally Posted by Talon View Post
I got the problem for longer and none of the solution on the net were good but yours seem working well. Tks a lot really.

Tags
cable, connection, failure, make, mobile, network, phone, settings, virus, windows